lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What do you call your hot water bottle?
"My Hotty Botty" (or just "hotty") 4 5.48%
"Sir Walter Hottle Bottle" 6 8.22%
"The Boiling Liquid Sack" 2 2.74%
"Ye Greate Scalding Iron" 4 5.48%
"A Hot Dobby" 0 0%
I live in an area too warm for hot water bottles (the sun). 10 13.70%
I keep the heating on all night, damaging the environment. Take that, Al Gore! 24 32.88%
I have tricked a real live person to share a bed with me and I absorb their heat like a parasite. 23 31.51%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What do you call your hot water bottle?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #41
Gabez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Wouldn't a hot water bottle get, well, f'ing cold overnight?
No. The rubber keeps the heat in, and if you have a cover that keeps it warmer for even longer. I'd guess that a hotty botty could stay hot for about an hour, and takes at least two hours to cool down, if it's kept under the covers. Even a cool hot water bottle is never "f'ing cold" -- when hot water loses its heat it turns to "room temperature," which, if it's under your blankets, is still pretty warm.

That said, a hot water bottle that is no longer hot is a burden, and should be cast out of the bed (usually with a satisfying "plop"). There was a joke in the TV series Maid Marrion and her Merry Men in which King Richard threw a pig out of his bed saying "my hot water bottle is cold" (they didn't have rubber botties in the middle ages; only pigs).

Last edited by Gabez; 02-26-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #42
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
this is the best poll ever

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
Jasper_Kazai

I didn't know people have used hot water bottles since the 1800s.

Jasper_Kazai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #44
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Yea really, no Yoda lovin'? The Hell?!

I'm pretty much in the same boat with MAV, Jeff, The Betrayer, and gamma097. "WTF is that? Never heard of it" ...before this thread anyways...
Now I see what it is. Ehh, I use blankets and pillows. Nothing special and I grew up sleeping in unheated houses where it got below freezing, often.

Then again you're talking to a guy who once was homeless for a time--even if it was only a short time comparatively. Though I recall a few times where it was cold, wet, and inhospitable outside. So I found a carpet shop, and to their cutting scraps bin/shed out back... and burrowed down in there. I daresay it saved my life.
Have used plastic packaging, even digging up dirt. Emergency blankets (aluminum covering bag) and rain ponchos.
I don't want to experience any of that again.

Had pets. Dog not allowed on bed. Cats died a few years ago. Rats tend to be mostly problematic unless it is late morning. There are exceptions, though. Had a few girls here and there for mutual warmth, but those days are gone.

At night, as a semi asthmatic, concerns are more towards keeping the lungs from seizing up and/or accumulating too much fluid when "the condition" decides to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Darasuum Mandalor View Post
Ohh no! I HATE the snuggie! They come in 3 colors.
There was hillarious 4CHAN a meme that read something like:

" Snuggie

Dress your dog in one so it too can look like a douchebag, just like you! "

The meme pic had some little dog in a blue snuggie. Pretty funny actually
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #45
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Not only do I love the cold, I too give off an enourmous amount of body heat (my normal temp is 99.7) no matter how cold it is. So I keep my fan running 24/7 to keep my room at a bearable temp. On a hot (warm or pleasant to others) 70 degrees and up my temp can get over 100 without me being sick. You can see me outside with a short sleeved shirt and shorts at 50 degrees and I will not complain one bit. So I use no blankets, no heater, or water bottle (unless you count one of those big metal/rubber ones that keep the water ice cold that I fill up 5 times a night). I just sleep on top of my comforter. I actually almost died one time because my electricity went off during the night and my temp got to over 105 in a matter of minutes. The doc said I was lucky to be alive. But the point is no, I do not have a hot water bottle.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #46
True_Avery
Banned

I just have a bed with a ton of pillows, a few layers of blankets, and a comforter. After 10 minutes the bed is nice and body warm.

Used to be more extreme when I was younger, since I'd build little "nests" out of my pillows. Something about be covered on all sides was comforting.

For a good part of high school I'd cuddle with a long pillow at night, but since then I just have a bunch of blankets and pillows.

Along with my pajamas that I wear on and off, don't need a heating pad or hot water bottle. If anything it would be another distraction when trying to sleep.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #47
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

A thin blanket is good enough for me, I don't have an unusually high body temp. but I prefer being cold rather than warm at night.

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #48
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
USA USA! In other words, I keep my heat on...or just have a blanket handy.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #49
Kyvios
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Honestly never heard of a hot water bottle until now, lol

Im old school just use the blanket, don't even need the heat sometimes.

Kyvios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #50
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabez View Post
A slanket... why am I only just now finding out about this? Never heard the word before, but googling it shows the most amazing images.

A blanket and a dressing gown in one!

This is what Obi Wan Kenobi would wear if he really let himself go.
Or you can just put your bathrobe on backwards as you sit on the couch.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #51
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

But what's the fun in that? You aren't wasting any amount of money on an item just to make yourself look... like a douchebag.

No, I don't like the concept of a snuggie. Hot water bottle sounds immensely better and I had never seen one, (let alone heard of it) b4 this thread.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #52
Darth333
Administraterror

Depends where you live...if I weren't "keeping the heating on all night, damaging the environment", I'd be dead in the morning and the "hot water bottle" and/or the "real person" would turn into a popsicle as well...they're announcing -31C (-42C with wind factor) where I will be tomorrow and next week
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #53
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

For those Americans, uber-noobz, or too lazy to convert celsius to farenheit, D3 will be in temperatures that convert to -24F (-44F wind chill). Wow. That's the kind of cold that you could outside walk down the street fully clothed and you'd *still* feel naked. The *worst* it gets in some places around me is about -13F (-25C) to -20F (-29C). Thankfully it's only about freezing point at my current whereabouts.

So. Cal was so nice and sunny...
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #54
Gabez

Wow... -31! That's got to be the North Pole, surely? Or the dark side of the moon?

GTA:SWcity: I wonder if a hot water bottle is good for the lungs? Because you can move it to wherver you want and keep it over your chest to keep it warm. Then again, what works for one person might not work for other people. Your story of sleeping rough sound horrific, but it made me think of how past experiences affect the way you sleep in later life. My dad didn't have heating as a child and (possibly) as a result of this he often sleeps with the window open, because he's become used to cold bedrooms. Or maybe he's just mad.

For the people who think a hot water bottle is old fashioned: actually, a hotty botty is a modern technological marvel. If you go back to the 1800s then I think you'd have a metal cask with hot coals in (as featured in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie; the coals were then dropped on Mackenzie Crook's face). I was once in a room at an old people's home, where we were discussing how they slept as children. Many people had hot bricks from the oven, or even the grill from the oven, still warm from the evening meal, heating up their bed -- and with their sisters and brothers in the bed too!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #55
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Wow... -31! That's got to be the North Pole, surely? Or the dark side of the moon?
FYI: Darth333 is a polar bear.

I have also come up with a name for my hot water bottle. I have dubbed it "Botty Too Hotty."

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #56
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
FYI: Darth333 is a polar bear.
ITT: Rogue Nine calls D333 fat.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #57
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
It is well within the Arctic circle (aver. yearly temp. of −17 °C )...

Still even at my "usual" location (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) I don't know of anyone using hot water bottles... not only it would be very uncomfortable (and deadly) during wintertime but water pipes & al would also freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWscity
That's the kind of cold that you could outside walk down the street fully clothed and you'd *still* feel naked.
Fortunately, it is a "dry" cold and if one is well dressed (no matter what some people say, nothing stops the cold as white goose down and sealskin mitts - crappy synthetic stuff feels like paper and the constant wind just gets through - ) the cold doesn't penetrate the clothing and it can be far more comfortable than at higher temps with humidity.

Quote:
ITT: Rogue Nine calls D333 fat.
I still have a lot of catching up to do to survive at those temps like polar bears do
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #58
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
GTA:SWcity: I wonder if a hot water bottle is good for the lungs? Because you can move it to wherver you want and keep it over your chest to keep it warm. Then again, what works for one person might not work for other people. Your story of sleeping rough sound horrific, but it made me think of how past experiences affect the way you sleep in later life. My dad didn't have heating as a child and (possibly) as a result of this he often sleeps with the window open, because he's become used to cold bedrooms. Or maybe he's just mad.
I'm sort of the same way. I can handle cold if it's inside air. Not always opening a window: Dry sharp outside air makes you prone to cutting sinus infection, wet air tends to exacerbate the temp. hot or cold.

The semi-asthma is mild to moderate. It comes back at any time regardless of weather unfortunately. Usually only attacks when I sleep.

However, due to this I am more weak in any case (asleep or awake) against fluid in the lungs be it drainage or pneumonia. I'm ok when the lungs are normal, but with fluid buildup, anything below 10F is crippling b/c I can't stop coughing.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #59
Gabez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
Still even at my "usual" location (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) I don't know of anyone using hot water bottles... not only it would be very uncomfortable (and deadly) during wintertime but water pipes & al would also freeze.
Well, you can have a hotty botty and still have the heating on... and you might still be able to reduce the heating a bit if you made yourself warmer under the covers.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #60
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
I tricked a real person with full intent to be a heat leech. However, my plan backfired, as it turns out I produce much more heat than most people, so she's ended up being the heat leech. I guess I deserved it for my treacherous plan.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #61
Khanie
Lurker

I use a wheat pillow. Does that count?
Khanie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #62
Lady Jedi
Natural Wonder

Current Game: This is no GAME!!
10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
I was a bit torn between the last two, but 'Take that Al Gore' won me over. I don't however leave my heater on all night. I favor an electric heating pad on my frozen feet. Mmm, toasty!

On a side note: If I did use a hot bottle, it would most definitely be my Most Pleasurable Hot Sack.
Lady Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #63
Gabez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanie View Post
I use a wheat pillow. Does that count?
It doesn't count as a hotty botty, no, but it counts as something warm and cuddly under the blankets. I'm a bit concerned about microwavable wheat pillows, though: do they hold the heat in for long enough? Also, is there a chance that lethal microwave radiation will murder you in your sleep?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #64
Khanie
Lurker

Quote:
It doesn't count as a hotty botty, no, but it counts as something warm and cuddly under the blankets. I'm a bit concerned about microwavable wheat pillows, though: do they hold the heat in for long enough? Also, is there a chance that lethal microwave radiation will murder you in your sleep?
Nah they don't, but I fall asleep fast. I really only use it for warming up the bed thou, so it doesn't matter. It's faster and I'm lazy P:

Huh.. I saw a cartoon commercial about that once.. I need to find it, it was hilarious I would rather trust my heat pillow than my cellphone. Those sneaky little bastards... They're taking over our minds with their brainwashing little radiowaves! D: THEY'RE GONNA START A REVOLUTION, I JUST KNOW IT.
Khanie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #65
Gabez

Welcome to the forums, btw!

It is all as mad as this.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #66
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Never used one, a thick blanket will keep you warm in -31C, even with a window open (exceptions for those stupid enough to take a shower right before they go to sleep).

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #67
Allronix
Forumite

I've got a microwave heat pack (beans sewn into polar fleece) that I'll nuke and keep near my feet. I just call it "the heat wrap." I also have two cats who are most upset if they don't get to crawl under the covers. The sixteen pound moose of a cat is VERY insistent about wanting to be on my lap.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!

Last edited by Allronix; 03-22-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > What do you call your hot water bottle?