lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Rock Band 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Spadille
Rookie

Current Game: Saint's Row
Rock Band 3

Rock Band 3 has recentley been announced and is being released this Holiday season.

IGN Article

Thoughts?
Spadille is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
jrrtoken

As long as the instruments aren't overpriced and the drum pads don't spill their entrails after one month of use, then I'm fine.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Why can't they just add more songs to Rock Band 2?

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Revan 411
Forumite

I've never been a fan of Rock Band or Guitar Hero for that matter, but this announcement is quite idiotic. (IMO) It seems to me that Harmonix just wants to cash in more money on the franchise. Not surprised, considering the fact that their reputation has always resolved around milking.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I bought Rock Band 2 (for like $189 or somesuch ridiculous amount), thinking it would be a fun party idea since we entertain often. It was fun for about 6 minutes.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
I've never been a fan of Rock Band or Guitar Hero for that matter, but this announcement is quite idiotic. (IMO) It seems to me that Harmonix just wants to cash in more money on the franchise. Not surprised, considering the fact that their reputation has always resolved around milking.
Actually that is Activision with the Guitar Hero series, Harmonix has made 4 Rock Band games and in the same amount of time Activision has put out over 10 Guitar Hero games plus spinoffs like Band Hero and DJ Hero.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Revan 411
Forumite

Uh, Harmonix actually made 6 Rock Band games. And if my memory serves me right, they sold the instruments (that is required to play the games) separately from the main games. So, you would basically be paying about 190 dollars (so I've heard) for a repetitive game that gets boring after 10 minutes. Of course, people would argue that their choice for buying the game would be justified in the end. But I still stand by my opinion that the Rock Band and Guitar Hero franchises are money milking machines designed to rip off the consumer.

And I'm not saying that Activision is any better. They haven't published a good game in 5 years or so. (Modern Warfare 2 sucked.)

Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

^^
ITT: Opinion is fact!

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Hmm, forgot about the PSP Rock Band game, and if you count the iPhone one that is 6, but still, how are they any worse than companies making annual sports games or other annual series? I'll agree about the instruments for Beatles, they were far overpriced, but I thought the regular instruments were pretty reasonable. You can either buy the big bundle with the game and instruments, or separately, just like Guitar Hero. It's silly to say they are money milking franchises just because you don't like them. If you (anyone) are bored after 10 minutes, then maybe you just don't like music because there are like 80 songs or something in Rock Band 2 plus hundreds of downloadable songs.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
Revan 411
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
^^
ITT: Opinion is fact!
I don't know if you agree or disagree with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
but still, how are they any worse than companies making annual sports games or other annual series?
I never said that they are worse than any other annual game out there. In fact, I think its clear that E.A's sports franchises are weaker then Rock Band. But that still doesn't change my mind on Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

Quote:
You can either buy the big bundle with the game and instruments, or separately, just like Guitar Hero.
Really? No seriously, I'm not being sarcastic here. The things I heard was that with each new game in the series, you would have to separately buy new instruments as the old instruments would not be compatible with newer Rock Band games in the series. The same theory applies to Guitar Hero as well.

Quote:
It's silly to say they are money milking franchises just because you don't like them.
I never said I liked them, but the way Activision is with the Guitar Hero license makes me think that the franchise is a money milking machine. And the reason why I think this is because every new Rock Band and Guitar Hero game looks exactly the same as the previous one. I don't say this because the graphics look the same, but the game-play feels the same as it does with the previous installment. Tell me, whats the difference between Rock Band 2 and The Beatles: Rock Band in terms of game-play mechanics? (Other then Beatles starring different characters.)

Quote:
If you (anyone) are bored after 10 minutes, then maybe you just don't like music because there are like 80 songs or something in Rock Band 2 plus hundreds of downloadable songs.
That's probably true in my case. I'm not a big fan of the whole genre, but it surprises me that most people would be willing to fork out 70 bucks (The city I live in sells games at that price instead of 60) for a new game in either franchises when they could simply be playing the current Rock Band/Guitar Hero title and download new songs if they ever get bored of the old ones.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
Jeff

70 bucks for video games in the US is criminal, that sucks.

But yeah, all Rock Band and Guitar Hero instruments are compatible with each other, so unless you want the new instruments, you don't have to buy them. I use Rock Band 1 instruments with Rock Band 2 and The Beatles: Rock Band.

The main feature that Beatles added was vocal harmonies, so up to 6 players could play at once with 3 singing and 3 on instruments. It also had unique settings for each song instead of how Rock Band just has random stages or whatever.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
I don't know if you agree or disagree with me.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadille View Post
Rock Band 3 has recentley been announced and is being released this Holiday season.

IGN Article

Thoughts?
Woot! I know what I'm asking for for Christmas!

And while you may be bored after 6 minutes, Revan411, my family and I are not. We have a great time playing, my dad is visiting us to play Beatles Rock Band and sing Roy Orbison songs on Lego RB/RB2 (and since he's developing Alzheimers, I treasure this time together), and I enjoy the challenge of trying to make it someday to the top 10 in vocals on the leaderboards for an Evanescence or Lacuna Coil song.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 03-11-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Rock Band 3