lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Trek Online
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Star Trek Online

Anyone playing? My handle, not so surprisingly, is @JaeOnasi.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Eh, sounds interesting, I'll play it
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
swphreak
My cabbages!!!
 
swphreak's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,510
10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Man, I was all pumped and hyped for this game, and I don't think I logged in at all this week.

Like I said in the LucasCast forum, Cryptic games suffer from a high something to boring ratio. Meaning I get really bored of Cryptic games really fast. I'm shocked it already happened. I at least managed two months for City of Villains.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
If I didn't like Star Trek, or didn't know anything about it, I don't think I'd stay with it long. There is some bugginess right now (I've redone the Beytan quest a good 5 times already and it has not updated in my quest log--rather annoying, although it's really short), but I'm enjoying seeing the lore and what they've done with it, and the space battles are certainly interesting. It's a break from killing Charr in Guild Wars and goblins and orcs in LOTRO. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for a lifetime sub on this game, though. The main reason I want to play it is because my son has turned into a major Trekkie, and this is a way to spend time with him, along with fulfilling my sci-fi addiction.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
swphreak
My cabbages!!!
 
swphreak's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,510
10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
If it was free to play like Guild Wars, then I'd be all over it. As it is, it's not worth $15 a month to me.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Is there a free trial period ??

Is it something you can do with non human (AI) players like guild wars? I keep very irregular hours am an infrequent player. I'm not the type that can commit to meet 17 other nerds at Quarks bar at 11pm GMT. I prefer to nerd it up on my own

Still, plenty of things still left to do with ME2 atm. I intend on scanning every planet[/scanner OCD]

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
You can d/l the client, and if you find someone with a buddy key, you can try it out for 5 days free (my son kindly gave me his). Make sure to d/l the client first--it can take a good day or so to d/l and then patch, depending on your connection and STO's server load.

You do get bridge officers, and if you go on an away team mission, the game will give you extra security officers (in red shirts of course) to fill in the party in case you don't have enough bridge officers to fill all 4 slots. You can equip your bridge officers and set up their skills, so it's a lot more like the heroes in Guild Wars, while the security officers are like the henchmen. In space battles, you control everything.

In some missions, the game will automatically put you into an open instance and you'll be teamed up with other players who are arriving at the same time. This can be a blessing or a curse--I ended up in an instance with about 20 other players who were part of a fleet with some high-ranking players, and the instance scales with both level and number of players, apparently. When I saw we had to kill 50 Klingon ships, I about died. However, the Captains steamrolled over the enemies, and I kind of was along for the ride in that one.

It's more fun to play with Real People, but definitely doable (at least from my limited perspective) on your own.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Jae I am playing my handle is @Jureth and my character's name is Jureth. I'm in a fleet called Starfleet Defenders we're a mature players fleet if you're lookin for a fleet. I won't be able to play for a couple more weeks as I'm in the middle of a business trip and moving at the same time (figure that out if you can) but like the third week of March I should be back in game.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite
 
Te Darasuum Mandalor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: I be at Sea!
Posts: 688
Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
can u be a captain of a ship like Enterprise?
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
www.startrekonline.com there's a ship database on the website but in short yes. You start out in a starter ship and then as you advance in rank you can get different types of ships including the Galaxy Class (Enterprise-D) and eventually the Sovereign Class (Enterprise-E)

There are ground combat missions as well which add to the experience in my opinion.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I love all the places you can go--it feels like you're indeed exploring the galaxy. Not all the missions are about fighting, which is a refreshing change. There's enough variety in the types of things you have to do for each 'episode' (their term for 'mission') that it doesn't feel like grinding.

After some searching about the crafting system, I found some links that I thought I'd share with you all. So many people have so many questions about this.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=97457
http://sto-intel.org/wiki/Category:Recipes
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...2V1NfU0E&hl=en

And for those of you who actually want to breed different kinds of tribbles, here's a guide:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ac...GM&hl=en&pli=1
And, in case you actually want a wallpaper on this, the Tribble Evolution flowchart wallpaper
https://doc-0s-0c-docs.googleusercon...ZjMDk2YzY4ZjVj


Hope those help a bit.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 03-01-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
cheers for the links Jae

I do like the exploration side of things. I wish I could spend my whole time on a science ship, leave the fighting to the jocks.

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective
 
Bob Lion54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the case! Both my minds!
Posts: 2,103
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm going to pick it up eventually, but I just haven't the time right now. Sigh... I miss when I had time to play games...

I haven't been to Middle-earth in a few months, but I have to check out STO.

I've somewhat avoided hearing too much about the game because it's just going to make me want to play it all the more, but early on (before Cryptic took over) I read some stuff. I've always wanted to make an Engineer. Is that still a "class?"


Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I love all the places you can go--it feels like you're indeed exploring the galaxy. Not all the missions are about fighting, which is a refreshing change. There's enough variety in the types of things you have to do for each 'episode' (their term for 'mission') that it doesn't feel like grinding.

After some searching about the crafting system, I found some links that I thought I'd share with you all. So many people have so many questions about this.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=97457
http://sto-intel.org/wiki/Category:Recipes
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...2V1NfU0E&hl=en

And for those of you who actually want to breed different kinds of tribbles, here's a guide:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ac...GM&hl=en&pli=1
And, in case you actually want a wallpaper on this, the Tribble Evolution flowchart wallpaper
https://doc-0s-0c-docs.googleusercon...ZjMDk2YzY4ZjVj


Hope those help a bit.
The crafting system irritates me to no end. I've decided that I'm simply not going to do it but instead have taken the role of providing materials to those in my fleet that are.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
swphreak
My cabbages!!!
 
swphreak's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,510
10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I really need to log back in and play more, but I just keep putting it off.

I should make sure my subscription isn't set to auto renew...
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #16
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I wish I could play right now, but my desktop is torn down so I can move and the laptop my company gave me won't run the game so I'm stuck until I get back up and running on my beast


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
The crafting system irritates me to no end. I've decided that I'm simply not going to do it but instead have taken the role of providing materials to those in my fleet that are.
The best way to get to 7k for that first level is to get some Mark II shield arrays and photon torpedoes and shields. You only need to upgrade a few of those (since the end result is work about 1k each) in order to open up the next level. Those items can be bought in Starbase 1. It beats converting hundreds of medium shield charges to large ones.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 AM   #18
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Some of you US folks may be interested to know that you can get access to a free trial of STO if you eat some Tacos !!

No, I'm not crazy - apparently Del Taco is giving away a free game trial, an ingame pet for your shuttle if you buy a meal/drink with a special STO cup

It started 2/2/2010 and wraps up at the end of March

http://www.deltaco.com/coupons.html

http://www.startrekonline.com/deltaco

No point for those of us outside the USA of course

* * *

In other amusing STO news, looks like Cryptic snuck in a patch last week that, as diligently pointed out by fanboys would otherwise have caused the creation of black holes and the destruction of entire planets/systems in the Abrams reimagined Trek universe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch notes
The special item Red Matter Capacitor now properly triggers its cooldown when you have two so that they cannot be stacked.
source

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 03-03-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #19
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I saw that patch...and FYI I have several buddy codes that I would be willing to give to folks who might be interested in looking at the game. I'm on a business trip now, but will be back home next week. I think I have 3 or 4 that came with my collector's edition so shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll get back to ya.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
@Astro--a few of the folks in our fleet who visit Del Taco on a fairly regular basis have offered to get codes for us who don't have access to that restaurant. If you're playing and want one, PM me and I'll see what I can dig up.

Also--if you want a free TOS uniform, check out this link from Beckett's Massive Online Gamer magazine's site:
http://www.massiveonlinegamer.com/game-code

If you've always wanted the Wrath of Khan admiral uniform, the code for this is:
JIH MUSHA SOH .

To enter the game codes, log in to your profile on startrekonline.com, click 'support', then 'redeem key', and type or paste it into the appropriate spot.

Enjoy!


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
cool stuff Jae

Thank you for your generous offers and info. I myself have a buddy code thanks to another generous member (points above a couple of posts ) and am trudiging through the 8GB client download. It has about a day to go....

Now that I've finished AC2 and the ME2 DLC, its perfect timing to do the trial(until my copy of DAO gets here!)

edit:

10gb of bandwidth later(2GB extra for new patch) - I am finally able to have a go. I'm pretty sure I'm still in the tutorial levels so can't say cant say too much - I really hope there are non combat missions coming up because running around shooting at stuff is getting old ! esp. after playing ME2 and ACreed, its pretty tame combat. I want to seek new life and new civilisations like Patrick Stewart says on TV

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 03-27-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #22
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Firstly , sorry for the double post. As these post is slightly longer and has some info other may be interested in - I thought it was worth a bump.

I've had a good play - so here's:
A Guide for MMO Newbies That Are Curious About Star Trek Online because they are Trek Nerds

I am not a MMO fan nor expert. But I do consider myself a Trek fan of a proportion only outdone by my Star Wars geekiness (eg. I know more SW EU > Trek) - but for most stuff in the Trek movies/shows, I'm pretty well versed.

Here's some questions I had going in - in answering them I hope it may be useful to others

Does the game feel like Trek?
To a degree. The space combat definitely does. It's pretty cool seeing your ship scoot along and engage in combat. I'm sure it will look even cooler once you upgrade to a nicer ship and can customise it. I'd love a Prometheus class ship - though I'm not sure if they are available - and I'd probably need to give up the next 18 months to earn it The graphics are pretty decent for the space combat bit - I play at 2500x1600 and maxxed settings- I was quite surpised that MMOs allowed for that - for which I was pleased.

Ensigns are Captains?!
Yeah. I can see how Cryptic was stuck in this. They could have kept you in engineering made you responsible for recharging phasers for the next 18months, but this would be quite irritating Hence, you are given command even as an ensign. Of course, you get a basic ship with threadbare capabilities - so if you do want something special, you will have to work your way up. Still, an ensign in command sounds weird. I guess 'acting captain' was too convoluted.

What's Ground Combat like?
If you think about combat in the Trek series, it was pretty straight forward - shoot phaser, take cover, shoot again! This is pretty much reflected in STO. In places it reminds me of elements of KOTOR - running around with both mouse buttons down for example. I think having just played ME2 makes my perception of this somewhat jaded - ME2 is so darn impressive so that it makes STO look even more limited and clunky than it is. That being said, it's not totally bad - if you can get your hands on some decent weapons and master movement and position, its OK. Still, those wanting something advanced best look elsewhere at this stage

Is it really that boring?
There has been alot said about the boring factor - most games involved travel/explore/combat/interaction - but how it's done is the clincher. Despite the depth of Trek lore, the ground missions are pretty simplistic - maybe they will get more complex as my character moves up? There is not much mystery or wonder to exploring and discovering things. Even in KOTOR had that, I remember wandering around in the fog on Kasshyyk and being impressed at how hooked I was into the story. Is this something MMOs can achieve - I dunno!

For launch specifically, its not suprising that Cryptic have gone for options that will make it easy for newbies to pick up. This of course will make MMO experts quiet frustrated - hopefully their needs can be satisfied with updates. who knows...

Can you play solo?
Yep, though you would of course be slowing your progress I imagine - especially on the space combat side. When you come across an NPC ship that can kick your ass, you simply have to run. If you had a fleet to play alongside with - this wouldn't be the case.

Character Creation?
Again, being spoilt by ME2 - the character creations look OK, but somewhat cartoony. Look at my deadly/sexeh femshep(see avvie) - I tried to recreate that in STO, but she looks more like Anakin in the clone wars I think female characters suffer from this more than males. That being said, the degree of customisation is pretty cool, and easy to do. The costumes are great IMO.

Leveling up?
I think it's par for the course that this process is time consuming in MMOs. I've put in the same amount as my ME2 campaign(40 hours) and I'm still on my orginal ship, but do have snazzy weapons and armour. I guess you could pay for better stuff - but I haven't looked into it.

The Galaxy/Maps
I think this is fairly well done - you can just click on map spots to get to places, or fly their on your own. Ground Maps however are very bad IMO. Maybe I havent selected something right, but it is nice to have rooms and such labelled on your map, particularly after youve explored them! In stardock its not too bad because there are big signs everywhere - but on bases and planets theres nothing to save you from getting lost except your memory

Music
This was a surprise. All the netrants Ive read about STO whine on about many things - but none mentioned the music. It's pretty cool IMO. Epic in some spots, quirky in others - one mission had music accented by harpsichord... it might souund out of place for something futuristic but I quite liked it.

What, No Bridge?!
This was a disappointment. Apart from the intro level - I havent seen my bridge yet. Strutting around on the bridge is so integral to Trek - how could they leave it out! I know in ship customisation you can choose what your bridge looks like - so I'm hoping a bridge element will come along later. It would be nice to be able to manage certain things from your ship - rather than have to go to the research planet or stardock for everything. There are trading ships floating about on the galaxy map, which help a bit - but walking around your ship would be cool.

Conclusion?
If you happen to be a Trek fan, before TOR comes out, it's worth checking out on a free trial. Cryptic will need to flesh things out if they plan to make both Trekkies and more serious MMOers stay on/come back

I have some 5 day trials if anyone is interested - PM me if interested.

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Firstly , sorry for the double post. As these post is slightly longer and has some info other may be interested in - I thought it was worth a bump.

I've had a good play - so here's:
A Guide for MMO Newbies That Are Curious About Star Trek Online because they are Trek Nerds

I am not a MMO fan nor expert. But I do consider myself a Trek fan of a proportion only outdone by my Star Wars geekiness (eg. I know more SW EU > Trek) - but for most stuff in the Trek movies/shows, I'm pretty well versed.

Here's some questions I had going in - in answering them I hope it may be useful to others

Does the game feel like Trek?
To a degree. The space combat definitely does. It's pretty cool seeing your ship scoot along and engage in combat. I'm sure it will look even cooler once you upgrade to a nicer ship and can customise it. I'd love a Prometheus class ship - though I'm not sure if they are available - and I'd probably need to give up the next 18 months to earn it The graphics are pretty decent for the space combat bit - I play at 2500x1600 and maxxed settings- I was quite surpised that MMOs allowed for that - for which I was pleased.

Ensigns are Captains?!
Yeah. I can see how Cryptic was stuck in this. They could have kept you in engineering made you responsible for recharging phasers for the next 18months, but this would be quite irritating Hence, you are given command even as an ensign. Of course, you get a basic ship with threadbare capabilities - so if you do want something special, you will have to work your way up. Still, an ensign in command sounds weird. I guess 'acting captain' was too convoluted.

What's Ground Combat like?
If you think about combat in the Trek series, it was pretty straight forward - shoot phaser, take cover, shoot again! This is pretty much reflected in STO. In places it reminds me of elements of KOTOR - running around with both mouse buttons down for example. I think having just played ME2 makes my perception of this somewhat jaded - ME2 is so darn impressive so that it makes STO look even more limited and clunky than it is. That being said, it's not totally bad - if you can get your hands on some decent weapons and master movement and position, its OK. Still, those wanting something advanced best look elsewhere at this stage

Is it really that boring?
There has been alot said about the boring factor - most games involved travel/explore/combat/interaction - but how it's done is the clincher. Despite the depth of Trek lore, the ground missions are pretty simplistic - maybe they will get more complex as my character moves up? There is not much mystery or wonder to exploring and discovering things. Even in KOTOR had that, I remember wandering around in the fog on Kasshyyk and being impressed at how hooked I was into the story. Is this something MMOs can achieve - I dunno!

For launch specifically, its not suprising that Cryptic have gone for options that will make it easy for newbies to pick up. This of course will make MMO experts quiet frustrated - hopefully their needs can be satisfied with updates. who knows...

Can you play solo?
Yep, though you would of course be slowing your progress I imagine - especially on the space combat side. When you come across an NPC ship that can kick your ass, you simply have to run. If you had a fleet to play alongside with - this wouldn't be the case.

Character Creation?
Again, being spoilt by ME2 - the character creations look OK, but somewhat cartoony. Look at my deadly/sexeh femshep(see avvie) - I tried to recreate that in STO, but she looks more like Anakin in the clone wars I think female characters suffer from this more than males. That being said, the degree of customisation is pretty cool, and easy to do. The costumes are great IMO.

Leveling up?
I think it's par for the course that this process is time consuming in MMOs. I've put in the same amount as my ME2 campaign(40 hours) and I'm still on my orginal ship, but do have snazzy weapons and armour. I guess you could pay for better stuff - but I haven't looked into it.

The Galaxy/Maps
I think this is fairly well done - you can just click on map spots to get to places, or fly their on your own. Ground Maps however are very bad IMO. Maybe I havent selected something right, but it is nice to have rooms and such labelled on your map, particularly after youve explored them! In stardock its not too bad because there are big signs everywhere - but on bases and planets theres nothing to save you from getting lost except your memory

Music
This was a surprise. All the netrants Ive read about STO whine on about many things - but none mentioned the music. It's pretty cool IMO. Epic in some spots, quirky in others - one mission had music accented by harpsichord... it might souund out of place for something futuristic but I quite liked it.

What, No Bridge?!
This was a disappointment. Apart from the intro level - I havent seen my bridge yet. Strutting around on the bridge is so integral to Trek - how could they leave it out! I know in ship customisation you can choose what your bridge looks like - so I'm hoping a bridge element will come along later. It would be nice to be able to manage certain things from your ship - rather than have to go to the research planet or stardock for everything. There are trading ships floating about on the galaxy map, which help a bit - but walking around your ship would be cool.

Conclusion?
If you happen to be a Trek fan, before TOR comes out, it's worth checking out on a free trial. Cryptic will need to flesh things out if they plan to make both Trekkies and more serious MMOers stay on/come back

I have some 5 day trials if anyone is interested - PM me if interested.

mtfbwya
Yes, the Prometheus is available...it is a tier 5 escort class ship. I currently own one in addition to my Sovereign Class cruiser

The U.S. Navy actually could actually be a point of reference when it comes to junior officers serving as a "captain." Most frigates and destroyers are captained by Lt. Cdr or CDR officers and in the past more junior officers have captained smaller ships such as PT Boats in WWII.

The bridge functionality is available as well though you can't engage in combat or anything from it. You can see your bridge officers and invite other people to your bridge but beyond that it lacks functionality at this point. Ship interiors are in the works from what I understand and there are plans to add them at a later date.

In addition to the in game music there is also a music player functionality that you can use to play your own music while you're playing.

Look me up in game if you need/want help with anything Astro..or anyone else playing for that matter. My handle is Jureth@Jureth


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #24
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
cheers JediAthos

*how did you get your prometheus - does it actually split during combat - that would be awesome!!
*How do you get to see the bridge?!!

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #25
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
cheers JediAthos

*how did you get your prometheus - does it actually split during combat - that would be awesome!!
*How do you get to see the bridge?!!

mtfbwya
I was able to buy my Prometheus from the ship vendor at Earth Spacedock after I made Rear Admiral. Sadly no, there is no multi-vector attack mode that I'm aware of..that would be fun though

The bridge is accessible from the menu beside your radar in the top right corner of the screen. If I remember correctly you can right click on the down arrow and "visit the bridge" is an option.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."


Last edited by JediAthos; 03-29-2010 at 07:36 PM.
JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #26
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
The bridge is accessible from the menu beside your radar in the top right corner of the screen. If I remember correctly you can right click on the down arrow and "visit the bridge" is an option.
Split attack or no, I'm definitely going to try stay in it long enough for a Prometheus class ship Love that ship, and love that episode from Voyager where they came across it

I visited the bridge Nifty. Wish we could spend more game time there. The ships are at the heart and soul of the Series/movies. Hopefully they may incorporate some more ship based stuff in the future

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #27
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend
 
Alkonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Divinity's Reach
Posts: 3,885
Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Once I'm home from University, I might give it a try, if noone's already named their ship the "Ha Bisky".

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #28
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Once I'm home from University, I might give it a try, if noone's already named their ship the "Ha Bisky".
lolz.. I love reading ship names as you scoot along the galaxy map or near spacedock. Mine is pretty dry, The USS Carthage, my next ship will have a similar historical theme.

I haven't seen anything outrageous yet, but had a strong desire to see the USS George W Bush in flames

It was inevitable of course, but I have already seen an 'Enterprize' (a TOS era ship)

I'm not sure what the deal is with server locations and such, so US/UK users may not even appear for us here in Oz ??

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #29
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
lolz.. I love reading ship names as you scoot along the galaxy map or near spacedock. Mine is pretty dry, The USS Carthage, my next ship will have a similar historical theme.

I haven't seen anything outrageous yet, but had a strong desire to see the USS George W Bush in flames

It was inevitable of course, but I have already seen an 'Enterprize' (a TOS era ship)

I'm not sure what the deal is with server locations and such, so US/UK users may not even appear for us here in Oz ??

mtfbwya
It's all on one big server I believe...similar to EVE Online. There's just a whole bunch of different instances for the various locations. So, you could be in the same place as someone (earth spacedock for example) and not be able to see them until you get in the same instance.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #30
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I just made commander, and my character is a science officer. I decided to go with a science vessel this time instead of a cruiser or escort. If you've seen any of the tier 3 science vessels, you'll understand why I named this one 'FlyinMicrophone'. 'Flying Microphone' was 2 characters too long.

Oh, Astro--if you go to the shipyards, there's a guy there who will let you customize your ship. You can do that 1 time without paying each time you get a new rank (and I think if you buy other ships, too). If you choose the advanced option, you can mix and match different things, change colors of the detailing, choose detailing patterns, and so forth. I'll be on later today after I get back from the dentist (have to have a root canal >.< ).

@JediAthos and SWPhreak--if you guys want any tribbles, let me know. I breed a crap-ton of Mattson tribbles to sell on the Exchange, but I'll be happy to send just about any type you'd like. I can make some of the highest tier ones, but the food costs to make those are so sky high I don't have enough money to do those for free. Astro, I'd offer to send you some tribbles, too, but I can't trade you or send you anything while you're on a trial account--the game doesn't allow it. If you get a subscription, let me know and I'll send you some goodies.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 03-30-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #31
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
cheers Jae - arent tribbles trouble though! Congrats on making commander!! I am currently Lieutenant 5 \o/ I just made my ship look like the original (Archer) Enterprise. Likey

Ive seen a few people flying around with Prometheus class ships... jealous

Quote:
JediAthos]It's all on one big server I believe...similar to EVE Online. There's just a whole bunch of different instances for the various locations. So, you could be in the same place as someone (earth spacedock for example) and not be able to see them until you get in the same instance.
Interesting. I actually did search for you and Jae last time I was on - but no luck. I also didn't factor in time zones so both of you may have been in the land of nod

my handle is @astrotoy7, players name is Isabel.

before you ask.... Isabel is the name I give all my female RPG characters, though in fantasy RPGs she may get the more exotic Zabel

Why Isabel...

*Short for Isabella - named after
*Favourite actress
*Favourite female cat (my sister in laws British Blue, 'Aunty Isabel' to my Astro Jr)
Show spoiler


mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 03-30-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #32
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Thanks for the tribble offer Jae. My first character (a tactical officer) hit Rear Admiral 5 last night so I'm hoping to get into an infected group tonight, but we'll see. I started a science alt too.

Again: handle is @Jureth and my characters are Jureth and Alaura.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #33
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Unfortunately, I can't breed you a borg tribble or a rivera, but I can make you another type if you'd like.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2010, 01:30 AM   #34
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,875
Current Game: HKO closed beta
Hey, STOners, I'm sorta interesting in this game, and since I can't seem to find what officer type does in a gameplay sort of way, can someone just give me a short summary of what it means?


Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #35
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Hehe STOners.

Science officers are your healers and buffers and do some crowd control. Engineering officers debuff, have skills to protect/repair the ship, and some ally protection (via shields and such). Tactical officers are the tanks, basically, having the skills that do damage to enemies on the ground and in space.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #36
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Hehe STOners.
lolz... that reminded me of this

"Number 1, I order you to go take a number 2"

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #37
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Season 3 is due out in 2 days. I've played some of it on the Tribble beta-test shard, and the new sector space looks FANTASTIC--just like space should. No more neon yellow-green disco-floors in Borg sector space, yay!!

If you have not tried the Breen and Devidian episode series, you definitely want to. They are not only fun, but they also give out some cool rewards that you can't get any other place in game.

If you're looking for a nice, fun, mature, stable fleet to game with, check out www.lotusfleet.com. The Academy is a lot of fun just on its own.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #38
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
This weekend, everything in the Cryptic store is 20% off. Lifetime subscriptions are also 20% off. http://www.startrekonline.com/lifetime

Enjoy!


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #39
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
Oh, how I wish I had oodles of disposable income. I played the Free Trial. Made a character that looked like a cross between a Kel Dor and a Jem'hadar, as I recall. But I don't have the wallet to pay $15 a month, much less the staggering price of a lifetime sub.


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Star Trek Online

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.