lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #41
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mania View Post
Demon LeChuck
This is the best thing ever.

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #42
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aububuh View Post
I don't think there's much sheet music for any of the Monkey Island games, but I could probably transcribe some pieces by ear, then give them to you to put into your synthesisers. Where did you get this program, anyway?
You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. All you need to do is play Monkey Island 2 in DOSBox in Roland MT-32 mode (type "monkey2.exe r") and get DOSBox to stream the MIDI data to a MIDI file. There's a shortcut key for it but I don't recall it...

And what's wrong with AGS? It's the perfect candidate for a project like this from where I'm standing...I've never even heard of PAC-DK. I'd be worried about the quality and authenticity of the final product on anything other than AGS. But I've never seen a PAC-DK game either. Maybe if you made a little demo with it?

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. All you need to do is play Monkey Island 2 in DOSBox in Roland MT-32 mode (type "monkey2.exe r") and get DOSBox to stream the MIDI data to a MIDI file.
I don't know why I didn't think of that. Maybe I'm just not tech savvy enough.

EDIT: Now I know why I didn't think of it, CMI doesn't have MIDI files, it has digital audio. I could still do it with MI2, though.

Last edited by Aububuh; 04-14-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #44
Monkey Mania

Edit: NMD, the link below is better.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #45
Monkey Mania

Some CMI Midis
http://www.scummbar.com/resources/do...midi/cmimp.zip
Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #46
Monkey Mania

LucasArts GUI for AGS
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index...&topic=38874.0
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #47
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
yeah i have this
i just havent had alot of time to play around with it yet
i am just trying to go with the easiest to use
that is going to get me the results i want
i just need to sit down and mess with ags
i did some playing with PacDK
and it seems to be the easiest to use
but i am not 100% that i can do all that i want with it

i have just been working on the sprites so much that i havent really
been able to do anything on the technical side of it
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #48
Scapetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpumpkinhead View Post
I love these
would you be willing to help me out with some of the sprites?
I just don't think I'm reliable enough XD It'll never be finished with me helping out. I'm mainly a suggestion guy but I usually make a suggestion and then think "I can do this, so I will". Monkey Mania will do it Won't cha?

Quote:
I melded the two together.
While it's nice that you attempted to make a compromise between the two I just feel that the only reason I changed it in the first place was the size of the head and how the nose looks etc. So changing that back to the larger style makes mine utterly pointless other than removing some gold on his shoes :/

I really feel as though the thinner Guybrush head shape is the only way to go. The larger MI2 style head just seems to suit a beard better but just doesn't look right without one. It's a really small pixel wide difference but the slightest pixel change really does change everything. I mean if you were to remove a pixel for the eye... he only has one eye, pixels make big differences.

Quote:
Bloodnose Wally
It would seem to me that most of Wally's original sprites in MI2 have a strong glow on one side of his face due to a lamp on his desk and the low key lighting when he's above the pit. You should probably change the shading on Wally for this CMI version, because it just looks a little odd with such a strong shading on his head.

Quote:
Demon LeChuck
Didn't expect LeChuck to look so good with a simple colour change for his flaming beard :P Should probably do something about his eyebrows though... either remove them, make them flaming, or make them less noticable and more skin toned...

Edit: Also btw, I think Elaine should have the same clothes because she did from MI1 and MI2. Would also save some time on your part :P

Last edited by Scapetti; 04-15-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Scapetti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #49
Monkey Mania

Wall... of... text....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapetti View Post
I really feel as though the thinner Guybrush head shape is the only way to go. The larger MI2 style head just seems to suit a beard better but just doesn't look right without one. It's a really small pixel wide difference but the slightest pixel change really does change everything. I mean if you were to remove a pixel for the eye... he only has one eye, pixels make big differences.
His head as well as his body is one pixel wider. The only reason for this is just continuity. We're to match MI2's style rather than SMI's style. Also, when the sprite is in 320x200, he will be thinner.

Quote:
While it's nice that Monkey Mania attempted to make a compromise between the two I just feel that the only reason I changed it in the first place was the size of the head and how the nose looks etc. So changing that back to the larger style makes mine utterly pointless other than removing some gold on his shoes :/
Continuity, you may not care about it, but I do.

Quote:
And as for helping with working on the sprites for the project, I just don't think I'm reliable enough XD It'll never be finished with me helping out. I'm mainly a suggestion guy but I usually make a suggestion and then think "I can do this, so I will". Monkey Mania will do it Won't cha?
Just a pointer, tell people what you like about it before you make a suggestion.

Quote:
Other suggestions btw, it would seem to me that most of Wally's original sprites in MI2 have a strong glow on one side of his face due a lamp on his desk. You should probably change the shading on Wally for this CMI version, because it just looks a little odd with such a strong shading on his head.
I just used a sprite I found on the internet. Maybe you could be more specific on what changes I should make.

Quote:
Didn't expect LeChuck to look so good with a simple colour change for his flaming beard :P Should probably do something about his eyebrows though... either remove them, make them flaming, or make them less noticable and more skin toned...
He had no visible eyebrows in CMI, so if they were flaming, I think we would've noticed. The eyebrows give contrast to his glowing eyes. I guess I can make them a dark red or something.

Quote:
I should have probably used quotes in this post... but I am far too lazy XD

Edit: Also btw, I think Elaine should have the same clothes because she did from MI1 and MI2. Would also save some time on your part :P
Pretty much, but perhaps a color change.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #50
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Regarding learning AGS, take these words to heart: if you're not prepared to do all you have to do to learn and program as much as possible, quit now. Game developing (even for a remake, or in this case "demake") is no walk in the park. I've started numerous game projects and all of them fell by the wayside because I just lost interest or other stuff came up. I started with no experience but gradually learned until being a fairly experienced programmer. Don't look for the "easiest" way to do it or the final product won't be any good. Not because of the game engine you're using, but because you're already in the mindest of shirking as much work as you have to to get it done and the final product will suffer.

Generally speaking AGS is the way to go if you want to make a LucasArts-like adventure game. That's just all there is to it. It WILL work for you. You should just suck it up and plow ahead or give up now. Hard words I know, but it'll save you heartache and self-pity later when you give up and it never sees release, or it does get completed and everyone says it sucks because you didn't put enough work in.

To sum up: there is no "easy way" to make a good adventure game. You have to be willing to put everything into it or the outcome will suffer.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #51
Scapetti

Quote:
Wall... of... text....
Yeah, I mentioned I should have used quotes, at least it had gaps I guess. I might go back and fix that after this reply. Needless to say, I had just woken up XD

Quote:
His head as well as his body is one pixel wider. The only reason for this is just continuity. We're to match MI2's style rather than SMI's style. Also, when the sprite is in 320x200, he will be thinner.
Who said we were matching MI2's style? Surely what looks good, looks good... I think my Guybrush's head looks better, and that's why I was so keen to have it changed.

Quote:
Continuity, you may not care about it, but I do.
If the developers were to make a MI3 a year later than MI2 or something, I'm sure they wouldn't have just stuck with Guybrush's size in MI2 for continuity's sake. It's not as though Guybrush becomes much older from SMI to MI2. It's not like you look at my Guybrush and think, "what, that's not Guybrush, continuity is all wrong". Well you seem to... but I don't :/

Quote:
Just a pointer, tell people what you like about it before you make a suggestion.
I usually just say what I don't like, people do the same to me. I prefer criticism tbh. Obviously I like what I don't mention needs changing.

Quote:
I just used a sprite I found on the internet. Maybe you could be more specific on what changes I should make.
Yeah I know you did, but the problem is how it was used in the game. I'll quickly whip up my own version.

Quote:
He had no visible eyebrows in CMI, so if they were flaming, I think we would've noticed. The eyebrows give contrast to his glowing eyes. I guess I can make them a dark red or something.
A very dark green perhaps?

Quote:
Pretty much, but perhaps a color change.
Maybe... but I did like the whole one wardrobe thing

Last edited by Scapetti; 04-15-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #52
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
Regarding learning AGS, take these words to heart: if you're not prepared to do all you have to do to learn and program as much as possible, quit now. Game developing (even for a remake, or in this case "demake") is no walk in the park. I've started numerous game projects and all of them fell by the wayside because I just lost interest or other stuff came up. I started with no experience but gradually learned until being a fairly experienced programmer. Don't look for the "easiest" way to do it or the final product won't be any good. Not because of the game engine you're using, but because you're already in the mindest of shirking as much work as you have to to get it done and the final product will suffer.

Generally speaking AGS is the way to go if you want to make a LucasArts-like adventure game. That's just all there is to it. It WILL work for you. You should just suck it up and plow ahead or give up now. Hard words I know, but it'll save you heartache and self-pity later when you give up and it never sees release, or it does get completed and everyone says it sucks because you didn't put enough work in.

To sum up: there is no "easy way" to make a good adventure game. You have to be willing to put everything into it or the outcome will suffer.
i really appreciate your words here
i think you are 100% right
besides i think that i would have more control and
i/we can do more with AGS than PacDK
so there for i am just going to "suck it up"

also here is what i have done as far as Guybrush sprites:

Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #53
Aububuh
Rookie

Now I want to make some sprites. I especially love the left-right walking animation.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #54
Monkey Mania

Nice job, Jack! I see you cleaned up the sprite as well as finished a load of animation.

Quote:
If the developers were to make a MI3 a year later than MI2 or something, I'm sure they wouldn't have just stuck with Guybrush's size in MI2 for continuity's sake. It's not as though Guybrush becomes much older from SMI to MI2. It's not like you look at my Guybrush and think, "what, that's not Guybrush, continuity is all wrong". Well you seem to... but I don't :/
In that case, he shouldn't look like SMI Guybrush either.

Quote:
Looks good.

The green brows on LeChuck didn't give enough contrast, so here's red.

Elaine

Last edited by Monkey Mania; 04-16-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #55
Monkey Mania

Mock-up
Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #56
Aububuh
Rookie

Nice mock-up.

Seriously though, one thing we could try to do is focus on making the CMI one-room demo, release that, then build the game from there. That way we have something relatively small and simple to start with, and we could have something presentable before embarking on re-making the whole game. Plus, we already have some of the Guybrush and Wally sprites ready to go, so that part shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the demo I'm talking about.
ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/demos/pc/cursedemo.exe

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #57
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

That's a good idea.

The mock-up looks great
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #58
Scapetti

Quote:
In that case, he shouldn't look like SMI Guybrush either.
Well we can't go too far from the source material, it's not identical to the SMI Guybrush afterall...

Quote:
Mock-up
Ahh yes, that works very well indeed I don't know much about AGS, how hard is it to make the sprites shrink as they move further away?

Last edited by Scapetti; 04-18-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #59
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Gah, eyebrows!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #60
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
I don't know much about AGS, how hard is it to make the sprites shrink as they move further away?
I only know a little bit of AGS (played around a bit), and sprite scaling is one of the easiest things to do. You basically just draw walkable areas, and define what's the sprite's scale factor at the front and the back end of that area.

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #61
Gabez

Love the look of the mock-up! The technique to just pixelise the backgrounds works well I think.

It's also a good idea to concentrate on a small scene like the demo... would be great to have a playable version!
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #62
Monkey Mania

Just to let you know, I also increased the contrast of the background, so it is more in tune with MI2.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #63
Scapetti

Quote:
Gah, eyebrows!
They're only bad when they're zoomed in that much XD I usually only zoom by 3 times but I did it by 4 times this time because that's what Monkey Mania is doing D: And they're not as prominent as the eyebrows they want to use :P
Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #64
Aububuh
Rookie

I think it's partially the shock of MI1 Guybrush just having eyebrows, and partially because they're a different color than the rest of his hair.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #65
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
No matter how great this this would be, LucasArts will sue your ass off if you remake the whole game that way.

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #66
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Mock-up
i like this but...
i think that the backgrounds are a little to cartoony
compared to the sprites
though this is a good idea for just filler until we/i can redo the backgrounds
to make them look more SMI or MI3'ish

Quote:
Nice mock-up.

Seriously though, one thing we could try to do is focus on making the CMI one-room demo, release that, then build the game from there. That way we have something relatively small and simple to start with, and we could have something presentable before embarking on re-making the whole game. Plus, we already have some of the Guybrush and Wally sprites ready to go, so that part shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the demo I'm talking about.
ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/demos/pc/cursedemo.exe
i havent played this demo
but if it is what i am thinking it is then
this was kinda the plan
i dont know how far i will get with this project
so i am just planning on working little by little to get it done
this is a huge task
but i hope that with help from this forum
i will be able to complete it
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #67
Monkey Mania

Quote:
i like this but...
compared to the sprites

oh?
If you're talking about the bright colors and distorted buildings, MI1 and MI2 already had that.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #68
Monkey Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
No matter how great this this would be, LucasArts will sue your ass off if you remake the whole game that way.
Find us a background artist.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #69
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarper View Post
Hm. now I can't think of anything I can do for this project. Dang. Oh well, those MIDIs are pretty nice.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #70
Monkey Mania

Quote:
Hm. now I can't think of anything I can do for this project. Dang. Oh well, those MIDIs are pretty nice.
Make midi versions of the rest of the songs.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #71
Scapetti

Quote:
i like this but...
compared to the sprites
though this is a good idea for just filler until we/i can redo the backgrounds
to make them look more SMI or MI3'ish
I'll be honest... I just lost all hope for this project
Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #72
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Make midi versions of the rest of the songs.
I was going to just make digital audio files that vaguely sounded like the original MIDI songs, but I haven't got a clue how to match these. I guess I could just remake them too, or someone could point me in the right direction to something I could use to make this kind of MIDI file.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #73
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapetti;
I'll be honest... I just lost all hope for this project
oh ye of little faith
just give me some time
once I get a chance to do some backgrounds
I'll post em and then if everyone hates it I'll use
the backgrounds from cmi
Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #74
BloodnoseThePirate
Rookie

i could be wrong but i found a windows application that can convert wav files to midi. if you convert the mp3s from the scumm bar to wav then convert them to midi, isn't the music problem solved? (i have a mac so i couldn't test it. just search "wav to midi" in google and you should find it) im also a semi-decent artist so i could give the backgrounds a shot.
BloodnoseThePirate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #75
Varrok
Rookie

There is no GOOD app, which can convert wav to midi due to completely different working method of each one - no converter can do it
Varrok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #76
Monkey Mania

Roland MT-32 Soundfont
http://www.aep-emu.de/temp/MT32-8MB_V02a.zip
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #77
Monkey Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarper View Post
It's not just about re-using the CMI backgrounds, it's the story, voices, characters, music, etc. Hopefully, if this actually goes anywhere, LucasArts wont shut it down.
If it gets shut down, then so be it. But right now, let's have some fun.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #78
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks, now I just need to figure out how to use it.

I'm using GarageBand 09. Do you know of anywhere I could get instructions for how to install it? I've only been able to find them for 08 or older.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #79
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

okay this was ridiculously easy to do
i may just opt to do the backgrounds this way
still teetering between doing it this way and redoing all the backgrounds
i may post a poll on it

Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #80
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

Looking good, but wouldn't you have to redraw the grate thing in the foreground in order that Guybrush doesn't appear to walk in front of it?
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)