lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: GoW III/Max Payne 3
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.
 
Darth Payne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grong, Norway
Posts: 2,491
Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
GoW III/Max Payne 3

I am pretty sure Gow III is good after seeing the trailer, but what about the game itself?

Of Max Payne 3 i've only seen a few screenies and a review mentioning Mexico.


http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'


SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,361
I don't know what review your read, but Max Payne 3 is set in Rio de Janeiro, amidst the favelas and high-rises. There isn't a whole lot of info on it right now either, but it's a game I can expect to come up in E3.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.
 
Darth Payne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grong, Norway
Posts: 2,491
Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
I guess the review i read could've been an early one as it was around christmas times that i first read about the game, it is also possible that the site i read it on got their facts wrong.


http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'


SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,041
Current Game: SWTOR
1. God of War III is already out with pretty much positive critical acclaim across the board, if you meant Gears of War 3, you should have said GeoW3.

2. I think you mean "preview" with a 'p' as opposed to "review" since Max Payne 3 doesn't even have a solid release date yet...


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.
 
Darth Payne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grong, Norway
Posts: 2,491
Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
1: Yeah, it was God Of War i meant. I've seen a couple of trailers but nothing more. It kinda sucks that its only for PS3 though. I kinda hoped for a 360 release as well.

2: Yeah, preview might be a better term.


http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'


SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,041
Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Payne View Post
1: Yeah, it was God Of War i meant. I've seen a couple of trailers but nothing more. It kinda sucks that its only for PS3 though. I kinda hoped for a 360 release as well.
Well you could have asked Santa to bring it to the 360 and it wouldn't have happened, not cause he's a fat jolly fraud, but because the God of War franchise is owned by Sony. It's developed by their Santa Monica Studio. Basically God of War going to the 360 would be like Halo going to the PS3. As for the game itself I actually have it, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.
 
Darth Payne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grong, Norway
Posts: 2,491
Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Well, i've played the other two games in both series and found them enjoyable.

They where a bit frustrating in places though.

I was very annoyed at times during the Kratos Vs Zeus fights in GoW II.


http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'


SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,229
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
That's a tough call b/c I'm loyal to both labels. GOW has never disappointed me in the past. They have always bee really well done and just right on everything.

Max Payne, well, is rockstar. They more or less made a modern VG cultural advent even if their games weren't always the greatest. I.E. The Warriors, some GTA games as much I hate to admit, and Oni--that one could have been so much better if more effort had been put into it. A few notches up from a GTA game for PS2 b/c the combat was the focus, but the gameplay sorta suffered in other aspects like in overall development and originality. Max hasn't disappointed me though because its action and story elements just seemed to always work. (Or maybe I love it for more than it actually is. )

Tough call and I ain't calln' it.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Payne View Post
I guess the review i read could've been an early one as it was around christmas times that i first read about the game, it is also possible that the site i read it on got their facts wrong.
It's been locked in right since the game's announcement that the setting is Rio de Janeiro, and nothing else. I've been following this one ardently.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Is Marky Mark going to be reprising his role as Max Payne??

I enjoyed MP1&2 but theyre going to need to come up with something new surely.. they just cant expect us to get all excited about Bullet-time again, surely?

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
I enjoyed MP1&2 but theyre going to need to come up with something new surely.. they just cant expect us to get all excited about Bullet-time again, surely?
As far as I know, there aren't any gameplay innovations of note, and bullet-time will be there, but in a way they have said will make us look at it again. Slowly.

But the real novelty they're trying to push is the whole Rio de Janeiro setting, the fat hobo look and their hypothesis that film noir can work in a locale as exotic as Rio.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Revan 411
Forumite
 
Revan 411's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 510
I HATE GOD OF WAR.

That out of way, I can now express my opinion on Max Payne 3. The first two games are, in my opinion, one of the best written games to have ever come out. The story isn't cliche, and neither are the characters, (except for maybe Vincent) and the fact that there sophisticated is what truly shines the utter uniqueness of the franchise. Max Payne 3, unfortunately, will murder the franchise...

The reason why I say that is because it's not developed by Remedy Entertainment or written by Sam Lake. Instead, it's being developed by Rockstar Vancouver, and if you take a look at their development history, on what they worked on, and what they made, you'll see that this is a company that should never, ever kill work on a franchise such as Max Payne; mainly because their reputation consists of making horrible, horrible comedy games, that are not sophisticated, or unique.

I'm also not a big fan of the major changes they've done to the main character; Max Payne. The fact that his voice will change, and he's now a low-life criminal instead of a wanted police detective who was operating in Night-Time New York City, gives me all the more reasons to boycott it.


Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,754
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
I HATE GOD OF WAR.

That out of way, I can now express my opinion on Max Payne 3. The first two games are, in my opinion, one of the best written games to have ever come out. The story isn't cliche, and neither are the characters, (except for maybe Vincent) and the fact that there sophisticated is what truly shines the utter uniqueness of the franchise. Max Payne 3, unfortunately, will murder the franchise...

The reason why I say that is because it's not developed by Remedy Entertainment or written by Sam Lake. Instead, it's being developed by Rockstar Vancouver, and if you take a look at their development history, on what they worked on, and what they made, you'll see that this is a company that should never, ever kill work on a franchise such as Max Payne; mainly because their reputation consists of making horrible, horrible comedy games, that are not sophisticated, or unique.

I'm also not a big fan of the major changes they've done to the main character; Max Payne. The fact that his voice will change, and he's now a low-life criminal instead of a wanted police detective who was operating in Night-Time New York City, gives me all the more reasons to boycott it.
Grand Theft Auto 4, while having comedy and being open-world, did in fact have a pretty good story. Isn't Rockstar the one producing Red Dead Redemption...you can't tell me that you think that game won't have an amazing storyline. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you see the review.

Believe me...I'm in love w/ good stories in games, and I would be mad if they screwed up Max Payne 3, but have a little faith in a pretty well-known developer.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
and he's now a low-life criminal
He's actually a bodyguard to some rich-ass honcho now. Though I'm guessing he'll be quitting that profession in the first 2-3 missions.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #15
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.
 
Darth Payne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grong, Norway
Posts: 2,491
Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
They'll probably have Max want revenge for his charges death if they go that way.


http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'


SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #16
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,361
Also, this game will be worthless if they do not have anything comparable to Address Unknown, Lords & Ladies or Dick Justice.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,229
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
G.O.W. series, though a sort of hack'n'slasher/adventure, is probably still one of the best games I played for PS2. I loathed missing G.O.W. 2--though I'm not sure how the story stood up. A third installment looks promising and supposedly is *the* reason to have a PS3. (besides reliability)

Still, it's understandable if people don't chomp at the bit for games nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Grand Theft Auto 4, while having comedy and being open-world, did in fact have a pretty good story. Isn't Rockstar the one producing Red Dead Redemption...you can't tell me that you think that game won't have an amazing storyline. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you see the review.
Well, I'm not sure of individual studios. I agree with the assessment that their storywriters make fantastic stories, though you can only do so much with sequels and so forth.

Since my 360 crashed I have not bothered with the GTA4:LCS installment which supposedly addresses gameplay shortfalls of its predecessor. I'm not sure of the storyline, though. Still, you are correct in that most stories by rockstar generally are very good.

GTA4 was... a step-up installment to a new platform. Very much a transitional game if you will. (Game play could have been better, though saitns row 2 actually came along afterwards and knew the mark to beat).

I just wish they would have given games like Oni more time and effort in development.

Quote:
Believe me...I'm in love w/ good stories in games, and I would be mad if they screwed up Max Payne 3, but have a little faith in a pretty well-known developer.
Well the Sony label for the games isn't exactly a slouch either. Remember Twisted Metal? Their original team and writers had resounding success for a game with little story to speak of. And after taking it back from 989 studios, the team (now under a different label) did another few chapters that were great. Too bad their writer/producer died.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > GoW III/Max Payne 3

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.