lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: "Do Your Best"... ooh! Headshotted ju! PWNED!!1!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

"Do Your Best"... ooh! Headshotted ju! PWNED!!1!

Quote:
In a move that may horrify old-school former Scouts, the Boy Scouts of America has announced it will offer two awards – a pin and a belt loop – to boys who spend hours playing video games.
Source

Far be it from me to 'down' video games (would be a bit hypocritical).. but in the Cub Scouts?!? You know, the younger generation of the Boy Scouts.

I was actually in the Cub Scouts believe it or not.. and I always looked forward to the outdoors, swimming, hiking. Hell, they gave me an award for playing with fire. Not sure I'm too keen on this.

Besides.. Xbox/PS3 already awards me with "pins" (achievements & trophies)

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 04-29-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: to, too, two
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Seems pretty pointless to me.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Well, it's not as bad as the aritcle makes is sound. Actually, instead of encouraging kids to play lots of video games, it's encouraging them to regulate their video game playing, simultaneously leaving time to do their chores and homework. Also, it's teaching the kids to value the rating system and to play games appropriate for their age.

Source

I don't see a problem with this.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

While I can definitely applaud the "goals" of the awards... gawdz knows there needs to be some education, for an organization such as the Scouts it seems a bit out of place (I'd go as far to say the chess one too )

I can understand what they're trying to do however...

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I don't have a major problem with this since many parents seem unwilling or unable to regulate the amount of time their children spend in front of the TV.

The Boy Scouts shouldn't have to do this...but at least they have a decent purpose behind it.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
What a strange move. It's a good idea to regulate time... but I really wouldn't expect that from the scouts.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
What the hell? I can't see how this is going to teach them anything besides regulating time, which one learns through trial and error.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
^^^

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
True_Avery
Banned

Actually...

Doctors, meticulous artists, sports players, and so on claim that playing a lot of video game helps with their hand-eye coordination, smaller details on things like surgery, and so on. I'm not going to go out of my way to dig them up right now, but I've read plenty of studies that show that surgeons that played video games while developing grew to be generally more accurate and better surgeons on the table.

So, while I question giving a merit badge for I wouldn't call it a complete loss
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
The study on surgeons showed that surgeons who played video games were better at laparoscopic surgeries (where you have to watch a TV monitor while manipulating tiny instruments inside the patient) than non-game playing peers. The researchers determined it's the skill picked up by using a controller or keyboard to manipulate things on a screen. I wholeheartedly endorse good doctors who game.

I view video games in the same category as watching TV--it's just entertainment. I get what the Cub Scouts are trying to do, but with all the problems with child obesity, I'd still like to see them focusing on all the outdoor activities. Kids need to learn to have an active lifestyle now more than ever.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Next comes the couch potato badge of laziness and purity sloth.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I view video games in the same category as watching TV--it's just entertainment. I get what the Cub Scouts are trying to do, but with all the problems with child obesity, I'd still like to see them focusing on all the outdoor activities. Kids need to learn to have an active lifestyle now more than ever.

Hmmmm, well in that case that might be a job FOOOOR..................

(Sorry...merit badges not included.)

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

^^^Bleh, the wii "motion intensive" stuff isn't always functional to its intended purpose... well, not for the most part that I have seen. I haven't even used it all that much and I am left scratching my head how anyone could get even remotely winded doing some of these things.

Hand eye coordination only really sharpens with reflex intensive games--sorry hardcore RPG'ers this does not apply to most of you. BTW I thought the medical field was desperate for professionals...oh wai-- what is this? All sorts of people not doing well in college b/c of video games? My myyyyyy.

For reals now: I have to agree w/ ping and Jae that it's just not merit badge material. People will also only only learn just enough time regulation to just get by. It goes into entertainment more than anything else.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #14
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
^^^Bleh, the wii "motion intensive" stuff isn't always functional to its intended purpose... well, not for the most part that I have seen. I haven't even used it all that much and I am left scratching my head how anyone could get even remotely winded doing some of these things.

Really? Hell I figured they would at least make you brake a sweat, if anything. Well, I guess it wouldn't be worth anybody's time then. And come to think of it, I always enjoyed the outdoors, mainly the hiking, when I was cub scout - hated the freak'in blue uniforms though. Felt like "little boy blue" for one thing.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

^^^Yea, I learned a couple things like honor and duty can give purpose to your life. <sigh> Guess I have fallen far from the mindset of always being on a mission of some sort.

Hell if it wasn't so muddy around here I'd love to be outside right now. Oh and 131 mph winds uprooted a tree northeast of me--it was in the reno gazette journal had it up if you wanna take a look. I like the wind but it don't like me or anyone else as it sleets on your face. It's spring durnit...winter should be over already.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > "Do Your Best"... ooh! Headshotted ju! PWNED!!1!