lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Creating a (Beta) Server (works with Full Version too!)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #121
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Question

I can't explain it. Bear in mind I also got the beta awhile after it came out, since I never paid for a FilePlanet premium subscription, so I had to wait like most of us for the free option to open up. How long was that?

So you're able to play Space Kashyyyk by yourself then??

Because if the map is there, you should be able to play it. Try it and tell me what happens (start the server and try to join it, then try to spawn in). We don't have the map, we can only look at the starfield and the character select screen.

I don't see how you could "accidentally" get the file. Are you in contact with the developers? Did they give you something special to test for them? Did somebody "leak" you the extra file?

Did you get the beta from some other source other than the file planet sign up page? Tell us more...

Edit: I recall now I grabbed the beta 12 days after it first came out. So you grabbed it on Oct. 17th or 18th?

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 07:42 PM   #122
TAW_Banzai
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Sounds like an idiot...

Two possibilities

1) He's a big fat stinking liar (I'm going to put my money on this one). Why lie? To make people jealous that's why. We all want to play these "new" maps. The same thing happened quite a bit in the kaillera community. People love to pretend they are playing something and can't let others in because they're not cool enough. They refuse to furnish proof, but dangle it in our faces to try to start something.

2) He's part of a higher level beta testing team that has access to a later beta version than we do. If so, why's he acting so immature and bratty about it. Sounds like he isn't exactly high grade material. A real tester would be worried about losing his right to the beta by being so public about something that should probably be kept more secret.

As we both know, ANYBODY can host a game with ANY game mode, if they know the commands, but nobody can PLAY it, because the MAPS that are REQUIRED for those modes to work AREN'T IN THE BETA!

Even if somehow a person had the full version of the game right now. Complete, all maps, etc. And he hosts a game.. nobody could play with him, because they just have the beta, which lacks the assets needed for those maps. The beta has the loading screens for those maps, but not the maps themselves.

So if #2 is true, then this guy is flying around BY HIMSELF on these maps. Wow, what fun. Great way to test the beta. I think some of us got the idea that a new beta version was coming soon and these were "leaks" coming from people that were the first to get the new beta. But we have no word on that, period, just rumors. Obviously the internal beta testers at Pandemic/LucasArts have access to more of the game than we do. The public test is limited for a reason (easier to keep track of one set of files being tested than having lots of random stuff floating around that doesn't need testing, inflates downloads, etc). Perhaps Pandemic did hire some idiots, and they've leaked the info without their conset. Who knows. But I'm more inclined to think he's just making crap up to get our goat. Lots of people make up info about being game insiders, because it makes them feel important and gets others to look up to them.

Insiders exist, but then so do fakers. So there's a strong possibility.

So anyone claiming to play these maps is either higher up the totem pole than we are (in which case I'd expect a more professional attitude or at least more secrecy, not in-your-face bragging and snotty elitism) or else they are flat out BSing.

This stuff about a map being "locked" is plainly BS. You can look in your directory folders and see that the maps don't exist. You can't play a map that you don't have, simple as that.

If somebody is going to make audacious claims or use it to puff themselves up to the rest of us, they need to furnish proof (put up or shut up), and realize we have a right to be skeptical!
I can answer this question, i hope....
I believe hm to be full of crap. here is why:
the internal testers at pandemic (LA really doesn't have much to do with the game mechanics) use a different build of the game code than was released to the public.
I know the Guy that wrote the net code and the server files, and thier buiold of the game will not interface with ours.
There is no newer version of the beta than the one that everyone had to update to four weeks ago (has it been that long??)
The guys at pandemic aren't really playing it anymore or working on it. In fact, most of them are on vacation.

As far as to why you can get teh loading screens, but there is no level data for any of the other maps, the spawn screen and load screens are already built into the game code. the actual level data is in different files, and they have not been released yet.

As far as my contacts at Pandemic tell me (at least when they aren't sipping Daquiris) even if you had the level data it wouldn't work with the beta game code.

anyway, Kurgan, i hate to bump a nearly dead thread, but i wanted to get this info out, and I haven been AFK for a few days.

TAW_Banzai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #123
zerted
Click Center of Circle: O

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAW_Banzai
As far as my contacts at Pandemic tell me (at least when they aren't sipping Daquiris) even if you had the level data it wouldn't work with the beta game code.
I hope they put locks in for only the Beta levels...

(I may not agree with thoughts posted under this name)
Looking for a mature clan? Checkout www.rdhclan.net
email/PM me for more info
zerted is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2005, 04:08 AM   #124
Nemios

Hi guys, I have a problem or two.

I'd like to play the beta alone, without connecting to the internet, so I tried the option /autonet listen /lan

It works but it creates a new profile named AUTONET which doesn't keep the changes I do to the keys/commands, it forces me to set my keys every time i run the batch

So I tried anathore way: run a server /autonet dedicated /lan and then connect to my own server, but it seems the server isn't listed whichever type i choose (Internet/LAN).

Any idea? Do I have to connect and log to gamespy to have my server on the list, even if is on LAN?

[edit]
Even connected to internet I can't see my own server if launched in lan mode and filtered in lan type, while I can see it if launched in internet mode and filtered by internet type

"I find your lack of first person lightsaber disturbing" - Darth Vader
"May the first person lightsaber be with you" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Last edited by Nemios; 10-28-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Nemios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #125
zerted

seems your computer isn't on a LAN.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #126
Nemios

Actually it is, it is the gateway of my home net (2 PCs)

"I find your lack of first person lightsaber disturbing" - Darth Vader
"May the first person lightsaber be with you" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Nemios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #127
zerted

are you hosting the game on one computer and attempting to connect from the other, or are you hosting and connecting from the same computer?

Old 10-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #128
TAW_Banzai
Rookie

neimos, follow these steps:
1. Create an internet server using the batch file
2. Put a password on it.
3. Don't tell anyone the password.
4. Play with yourself.
5. ???
6. Profit.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:25 AM   #129
zerted

slashdot user sighted

Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 PM   #130
TAW_Banzai
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerted
slashdot user sighted
negative, i am a NASIOC.com otter.

if you are one, you know what one is.

if you dont' know, then i guess you will be forced to go thru the rest of life clueless.

i don't have time for slashdot. i am also not that big of a nerd.

(no offense to nerds intended.)

Old 11-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #131
Wilhuf

Question command to set respawn countdown?

Hey all! Can you tell me what is the command to set the countdown time for waiting for a respawn? (Not referring to heroes). I believe SWBF2 defaults to a 15s wait between death and palyer respawn. Is there a way to change that?

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #132
Chris-h11
Rookie

Actually, I think it's Random

Chris-h11 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #133
Kurgan
Headhunter

I could be wrong, but it may be like JA's Siege, where there is a range, based on how you "died" previously.

Well anyway, tons of people should read this thread now that the full game is out. Most didn't touch the beta, and so have no clue how to create a server AND they complain about lag (without realizing they can just host their own game).

Teach them well...

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 11-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #134
TAW_Banzai
Rookie

most people that are complaining about lag have no clue what lag is or looks like.

there is no way that i will have problems with my frame rates, but when i see people teleport, i know that's lag. when people start whining about lag, and everythign is runnign smooth on my machine, no teleporting in the distance i know that thier video settings are too high.

turn down you video settings people!

i have all teh eye candy turned on at native res on my flat panel. I get a better frame rate on BF2 than i do on SWBF2. with the same graphics options turned on and all detail levels on high.
SWBF2 is a GFX hog.
Turn down your frickin graphics. there is no lag.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #135
Wilhuf

Turning down the graphics settings really helped improve framerates. Much more than in other FPS games, in my experience. Even with low details, the smooth rate helps the game experience and still looks pretty good.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #136
Kurgan
Headhunter

Good points.

Now that the dedicated server launchers are out, I think people should realize that many of the options can still only be done via a batch file (or through the in-game launcher of course).

Still no idea about adjusting the spawn delays for normal players though... :P

Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #137
SEB468
Rookie

Is there any way to get the beta for PS2
SEB468 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #138
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
1. No, it was a PC thing before the game came out.
2. Dont necro old topics

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #139
Ronoz
Lurker

Help

McCusto, I can find the BattlefrontIIEngBeta file. Where can I find it?
Ronoz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #140
Bokken
Wizard of Yendor

Current Game: Abandoned Realms
Try using THIS tool to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJhredmo
It is LucasArts.

Last edited by Bokken; 01-04-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Bokken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #141
star-guy
Lurker

no team killing got that noobs
star-guy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #142
METAL~OF~VORTEX
Lurker

ServeR Manager

ok i can run up to as many servers as i have usernames all you have to do is switch users and run the server manager on all the different names and you can use one of the ds server managers on each user also if you start 3 ds manager or 2 dsmanagers on one user it will crash but you can have a server manager and the old dsmanager both running on a username together i have done it for awhile i used to be one of the best on the pc i was good with this kind of stuff those of you might remember my famous underground glitches on mos eisley it got copyrighted from me but yah i have been playing for about 2 years on ps2 now atleast 4 and 1/2 years pc and alittle here and there on my psp and xbox of swbf2 i have got a lot of experience of very complicated hacks servers mods i tried getting campaign to work online throughh server manager since theres no type ability on ps2 like pc that i was used 2 but it loaded and then it does the intro like the movie and **** xl but then it waits for a while wile we wait and talk then lose connection 2 host thats why i need to find a way to type on the small 4 man servers non dedicated on ps2 or a payed for server will work but yah sorry for typing alot or too much ps2 has cheat engine hacks and custom server managers with built in hacks and tools only a few have personall server manager 2 exactly then the official versions like 1.1 1.7 1.8 and 1.10
Then payed for non dedicated server run only 4 players instead of 64 like pc and theres a mod for the max players instead of 24 to be 64 like the pc but it crashes after the game/round ends! Um we also no longer have the ability to download mod map obviously but we have crazy ass people who like to cheat with cheat engine and are mods are done with the server manager it's are only way to mod lol so yah
METAL~OF~VORTEX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront II > Server Administration > Creating a (Beta) Server (works with Full Version too!)