lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Eurogamer got a massive three-article preview of this. The first article is the demo, the second article consists of questions by hardcore fans, the third is a general interview.

As always, I'm going to copypasta the new stuff, this is excluding the above IGN link.

Quote:
In terms of how the game is open, and the experience of playing the game, one example I can give is in Detroit. It's early on in the game and as ever you have objectives: when you've done A you can move on to B and C.

The thing is while you're doing A you can come across something, and can hack it and shut it down. If you do that then right away one of your colleagues will call you and ask, "Jensen, what did you just do?" You say: "I don't know. There was this switch and I shut it off."

But as you progress and do the other objectives it becomes clear that what you've already switched off is actually the final objective for the map - only you did it at the start. So basically we support players that maybe go left when they're meant to go right, when it makes sense, as much as we can.

---------

For instance when you go up to a passer-by, point your gun at him and he cowers. For us it's more like, "You have a gun. You carry a responsibility. You can fire it, but there are consequences."

You're not just going in with a rocket launcher and having people not notice. People will say things like, "You have a gun! Remove it from my face!"

-------------

There are between 1100 and 1300 different props in the game, each of them honed and designed to look like something that would be used (and useful) 17 years into the future: from microscopes and electro-photo frames all the way to cars and bus stops.

To add depth to this universe too, there will be a hundred different fictional in-game brands, whose logos you'll see everywhere - from the butt of your gun, to a flashing video-screen on the side of a skyscraper to the side of a cargo crate at the city docks.

Eidos Montreal truly is taking the trappings of near-future capitalism that science-fiction has been chuntering about for so long (Tyrell Corporation in Blade Runner, Weyland-Yutani in Alien etc.) and using them to bind together a seamless world in which you simply cannot sense the creative cracks.

----------------

On whether the Deus Ex menu music is coming back...

"To be decided. It's still in discussions. I can say that there probably are a few spots in the game where you might hear an NPC whistle it. There's a very subjective argument that goes back and forth. Some people say it's awesome, some people are like: 'Errr? It's a little dated.'

"I don't want you to feel that you need to defend it, because I do like the theme, but I can tell you that there's at least one guy on my team that's saying, 'No!' I think it works perfectly for the year 2000. I don't know if it lends itself to our game. I'd be surprised if it doesn't worm its way in somewhere though."

-----------------

On multitools and proximity mines...

"We didn't go into Multitools because we wanted to make hacking more prevalent. So we decided that all the unlocking of things like that is done through hacking. As for proximity mines we have different templates where you can put different types of item together - you can attach one grenade to a mine template and stick it on walls and things like that. We have other things that are similar to what's been before too, like the meds and some of the nutrients."

On gas grenades, frag grenades and a few others...

"We have gas grenades, we have frag grenades... we have a few others."

------------------

On whether we'll still have that good old-fashioned Deus Ex wobbly aim...

"No, not for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. What we decided to do is start the game with the player skill alone - we don't want to diminish it. And after that it's upgrades."

-------------

On how the sparring dialogue gameplay works alongside the usual question and answer...

"It's not complex, that's not the right word. But it's deeper than Mass Effect. In Mass Effect you can skip through dialogue, and ours isn't the usual way to do conversation.

"We wanted to have a form of social fighting, as you can see with Tong in our demo. You need information, and you have to read the character in front of you to deliver the right response to continue, and win the round. You have three rounds, he will have three counter-attacks. You can succeed, fail or have a neutral response. If you restart the conversation, it will move on to a completely different one. You can't learn the path. It's complex to code, very complex!"

------------------------

On the look and feel of Deus Ex Detroit...

"The interesting thing about Detroit is that it looks quite a bit like contemporary Detroit; this is really all about anticipating what the world will be in 2027. We've designed stuff like objects which recharge electrical cars - we've invented them, and looked at where billboard technologies are going. So it's a lot like today's Detroit, with those added layers grafted over it. Plus there are those interesting and very modern-looking buildings."

-------------

On the look and feel of Deus Ex Shanghai...

"Shanghai's Heng Sha is a lot more into the trans-humanist thing. It's a lot more accepted there - it's the Silicon Valley of all cybernetics. The dual layer is inspired by a mockumentary we saw quite a while ago, which appeared to be a real documentary about Hong Kong..."

"In the game the idea isn't that it's the poor at the bottom and the rich at the top; the bottom used to be the Mecca of cybernetics, a lot of the headquarters of the great labs and manufacturing plants are there, it's just that when they built above it they chose a different architectural direction.

"So above they have new universities and new headquarters, but the bottom isn't a slum - there isn't an old school dichotomy. We put a lot of stuff in the game, like you'll see those student-types from the upper level coming downstairs at night to party, and hit the bars and brothels."

----------------

On how a prequel can look more technologically advanced than the first game...

"We released the first screenshots and people said, oh man - it's a prequel that's set twenty years before Deus Ex, and it looks more technologically advanced. Well the thing is that if you look at the computer screens or television screens in Deus Ex, then our real-world monitors are already bigger, flatter and of a higher resolution than that in the modern day.

"What do you do with that? Don't get me wrong we are doing this game for the fans and everything, but you can't just make it for the fans. It makes no sense. It's undebatable. It would be weird to make 4:3 ratio screens in the world, just because we want to fit in with the first one."

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Deus Ex: Human Revolution