lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Steampunk Disney (Epic Mickey)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #41
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
To explain: Every time the Wii is brought up in any conversation, there's always some insecure bloke that needs to mooooaannn about the travesty known as the Wii, to the point of nauseating ubiquity. Naturally, I wanted to dispel any further rants by creating one itself.

That, and there's a five-page summary of the art direction, including renders... here.
lol, i know exactly what you meant XD the "lolwut" was just an expression of "it's funny cause it's true" ...in an internet lingo kinda way... *looks around* no one ever said the internet had to make sense.

But anyway, I'm interested to see how this game turns out as a Wii game itself. Are they releasing it on Wii to take advantage of its unique abilities or is it just for the sake of "this platform has a certain kind of audience we want to target"?...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #42
jrrtoken

Unfortunately, most occasions that I've seen and practiced it, Lynk, I end up ruling it as sarcasm, so yeah. >_>

Upon further scanning the article, I found some tasty tidbits, including the adaptation of Disney shorts as 2D platformer segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption
Even a small section or level takes many steps to emerge into gameplay. In Epic Mickey, special 2D side-scrolling levels interconnect the larger 3D areas. Every one of these 2D images is based on an old Disney cartoon classic. This area was based on Clock Cleaners, a 1937 cartoon starring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. Using scenes from the original as inspiration, the team creates a colored concept art piece to illustrate the idea of the level.
There's also more evidence of a dual-world dichotomy, in this case "Toon" and "Inert", which boil down to "nice" and "corrupted", respectively.

The most interesting part, to me at least, is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption
How you decide to play the game should make a difference. You get to determine what kind of hero you are. Everybody solves the problem. Everybody saves the day. Everybody gets to save the world and gets the girl,Ē Warren Spector tells us, in regards to the shifting spectrum of play styles that change the appearance of Mickey throughout the game. ďBut how you do it, and how you end up looking is up to you. What abilities you have is up to you. Who likes you is up to you. What missions you hear about or not is up to you.Ē Each version of Mickey has a distinct look crafted by the character artists at Mickey, from the crouching and feral scrapper to the stalwart hero.
If this wasn't just pure exaggeration, then I think Mr. Spector just confirmed a massive inspiration from Deus Ex and the like of more gameplay-oriented role-playing. (In case anyone doesn't understand, that's a good thing. A very good thing.)

Last edited by jrrtoken; 10-22-2009 at 09:41 PM.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #43
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
http://gameinformer.com/games/disney...n-Spector.aspx

Yeah... pretty much figured it was about the audience.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:45 AM   #44
Tobias Reiper
Spah creepin' around here

Current Game: Various Games.
LucasCast staff 
M-m-Mickey?
Goofy?
Excuse me, but goofy doesn't look too goofy anymore.
He looks more Check the closet twice and the bed three times or be eaten.
Seriously, Epic Mickey is going to scare the hell out of kids.
I mean, look at them, they look like soul-less monsters designed to look cheery, but ultimately are evil in this disturbing way.
Mickey even has a face on his shoulder with a scared, screaming expression on it!

"There is no way to be better than everyone else, but being kind and having a sense of humor certainly helps." -Me, my quote on life.
Tobias Reiper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #45
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

They want to make the children cry. No joke.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #46
jrrtoken

Screen shots, even though they are quite early and very alpha-build-ish..

Show spoiler
Old 10-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #47
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
^ Bunny kids. Funny they included those Oswald the Lucky Rabbit "offsprings". I bet most people don't even know about it.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #48
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I used to play a game called 'Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse' on the Sega Master System. I absolutely loved it, and played the hell out of it. The concept art gave me flashbacks and seems very similar in design.

If Epic Mickey is half as good as Castle of Illusion, I'll be all over it.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #49
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I can't be bothered going through the thread to see if this was mentioned already or not, but apparently Disney wanted to get Oswald the Rabbit back so much that they traded Universal a sports presenter for the rights to use Oswald in this game.

Oh and this: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/28/ep...xbox-360-game/

Old 06-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #50
jrrtoken

In this web stream, our hero, JC Denton Mickey Mouse, is exploring the dark, seedy world of Hell's Kitchen The Wasteland, in pursuit of the whereabouts of an elusive Smuggler Smee. Using the JC's Mickey's exclusive power of nano-augmentations Paint & Thinner, players can manipulate the game environment to their own whims, creating a role-playing-esue experience of limited yet expansive free agency, among other things.

Summarizing it all: gameplay is structured around "Quest Zones", which act as hubs to buy equipment, receive quests (duh), etc. "Action Zones" are your standard missions/dungeon crawls, and are the bulk of the core gameplay. "Travel Zones" are 2D platforming levels which allow Mickey to explore new Zones and to travel between hubs. Travel Zones are thematically inspired by Disney cartoon shorts, and they replicate the art direction and content of the cartoon within every level (And they seem do so quite expertly, if I might add). Basically, I'm excited, to say the least; Epic Mickey sounds more like Deus Ex than anything else, oddly enough.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #51
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

When they showed the Steamboat Willy level I was trippin' balls man.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #52
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Can't believe this is the first time I'm seeing this... Looks awesome though.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #53
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
*sigh* used to be a 360 game...would've been nice since it looks like a legitimately good game.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 AM   #54
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
*sigh* used to be a 360 game...would've been nice since it looks like a legitimately good game.
You never know, it may become multi-platform... but it's no less good on Wii. If Warren Spector felt this game would be best on Wii then that's a good enough reason for it to be on Wii. I trust the man and the way he does things.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #55
Arannor

Current Game: SWTOR
This game looks like a very fun one. I love the idea and concept of the story. A game I will be adding to my list of games to buy!

NwŻl tash.
Dzwol sh‚sotkun.
Sh‚sotjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu tyŻk.
TyŻkjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu midwan.
MidwanjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu asha.
AshajontŻ kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qy‚sik nun.
Arannor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #56
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Steampunk is a relatively recent title for a style that has existed long before the internet. You can see alot of surrealist influence in some of the concept artwork for the game.

This reminds of Destino, the project Salvador Dali and Walt Disney worked on together in 1946, but never completed.

Using the existing planning paintings and drawings, some US/french/spanish animators completed the project in 2003. You can see it on YT, it also travels with Dali exhibitions worldwide.

good stuff watch it while you can >> Disney legalistas are getting it pulled off YT all the time

View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-16-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Steampunk Disney (Epic Mickey)

Tags
deus ex, disney, mickey mouse, system shock