lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: 2010 FIFA World Cup
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #81
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
lol...I'm sorry people...it's nothing personal...I just like getting soccer fans worked up by an ignorant American. I'll stop

Enjoy the cup!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #82
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Weak, weak Brazil x N.Korea match. I wasn't expecting much to begin with, but it sure as hell could have been so much better. And that single korean goal was total proof of our recklessness on the game.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #83
Fredi
El Guapo

I admire the heart of the North Koreans, they fought as well as they could and end up making a goal at the last minutes. Brazil left us expecting more.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #84
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
For tomorrow-

Uruguay:1 - RSA:1

Spain:2 (maybe 3) - Switzerland:0

Don't know about the other match.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #85
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
wow...portugal and brazil.. lets just hope that was game 1 jitters.

Kudos to New Zealand. They played much better than Australia, even though the Slovakians bragged about being better pre-game.

DAY 6!
SPAIN v SWITZERLAND: 2-1
SOUTH AFRICA v URUGUAY: 1-0

I was pleased to note that FIFA President gave everyone an official STFU with regards to the Vuvuzelas. Its part of the African game, and has been since the 1970s. Deal with it whiteys

Some more geeky WC humour :

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #86
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
I was pleased to note that FIFA President gave everyone an official STFU with regards to the Vuvuzelas. Its part of the African game, and has been since the 1970s. Deal with it whiteys
The vuvuzelas actually sound a lot like trumpets, if played with skill. Most of the annoying sound coming this WC comes from foreigner blokes playing it.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #87
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
The vuvuzelas actually sound a lot like trumpets, if played with skill. Most of the annoying sound coming this WC comes from foreigner blokes playing it.
Indeed. For anyone wanting to get some practise in on a vuvuzela.. You can visit this highly popular ONLINE VUVUZELA and give a toot

edit>OOooooo.. 9999 posts

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #88
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
10.000 posts lulz.

Am I the only one who thinks the players seem kinda of...careful somehow, like they're not playing to their full capacity. Especially the goalscorers >_>

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #89
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
^^ Chile aren't they're 1-0 up to Honduras and their approach is a breath of fresh air. they're a very handy outfit indeed. Them plus Spain today means today may actually give up some good games. here's hoping.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #90
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

wow.. the first true upset of the tourney... with spain losing their opener - though I must admit - I'm not hugely surprised. I watched the swiss play Italy in a friendly (1-1) a couple weeks ago and the Swiss were reasonably impressive.

Torres and Villa definitely seem a bit rusty

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #91
Salzella
areiK

I'm faintly disgusted by that win actually, if only for the sake of a watchable tournament. all the coaches of these very average teams have looked at Inter's champions league title, where they stifled opponents twice as talented as themselves and created a dreary, lifeless spectacle and then won. and they all nodded, stroked their chins and went off to work on their own versions. fine, but then you're going to get games like this one where, in all honesty, it's incredibly dull to watch, and worse is when two teams adopt the same tactics and cancel each other out - see portugal versus the Ivory coast. applaud their discipline and organisation all you want but i don't watch football for an excellent showcase of defensive excellence, i watch it for goals, drama and attacking - all of which are usually ingredients of the better world cups - and there has been very little of that so far.

in short, i blame Jose Mourinho.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #92
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
They're not getting rid of those stupid horns that sound like buzzing bees? Stupidest non-decision they could have made. I don't give two ****s that it's part of South African culture, it's goddamn annoying and takes away from already limited enjoyment of this boring-ass game for a majority of Americans. I hope everything ends in a tie and nobody wins because really, with all that buzzing, everyone loses.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #93
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
Wow, can't believe Spain lost. What a slow tournament this has been so far...

It's ok, when messi Argentina slaughter South Korea tomorrow things will pick up.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #94
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
10.000 posts lulz.

Am I the only one who thinks the players seem kinda of...careful somehow, like they're not playing to their full capacity. Especially the goalscorers >_>
Losing a first match puts pressure on a team.
Most big tournament winners start with a draw and then free-wheel themselves into the next round because they have gotten used to the weather etc.

The humidity is supposed to be devastating over there. The weather very strange and the fields terrible.

Also, most teams take shape after the first round.
For example, the Spanish right winger, Navas, was VERY bad. Same was true for Torres. Now that this is known, new players will grab their chance.
Maybe they'll play 4-4-2 next time with Torres and Villa from the start.

Same is true for Holland. It didn't work with Van der Vaart and Sneijder on the midfield. The substitute (Elia) was awesome and another one (Afellay) was too. Sneijder sucked as well and might have to fear for his place.
Now it'll all be a lot more on edge.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #95
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Not that much of a fan of Spain, but at this point in the WC, I don't care who scores, as long as someone does. But the Swiss played it well. Hopefully we'll see some South-African optimism later.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #96
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'm gutted, so far the world cup has been a triumph for teams playing cowardly pack men behind the ball football. Is this really what the game is coming to? I refuse to accept that Switzerland played well, they had like 3 actual attacks in the whole game... This is currently the worst World Cup I've ever seen...

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #97
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
I'm gutted, so far the world cup has been a triumph for teams playing cowardly pack men behind the ball football. Is this really what the game is coming to? I refuse to accept that Switzerland played well, they had like 3 actual attacks in the whole game... This is currently the worst World Cup I've ever seen...
View page
YouTube Video

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #98
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
View page
YouTube Video
Come into my changing rooms and say that!

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #99
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
@ ChainZ:

Even if you're ignorant and watch steroid boys throw and kick a ball, it's not excuse for being stupid...

Can we please call it football by the way? Shouting TEN FOR HUH HAH isn't really a sport now is it?

PS: Look at the picture...something wrong there? (HINT)

Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #100
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Come into my changing rooms and say that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Can we please call it football by the way? Shouting TEN FOR HUH HAH isn't really a sport now is it?

PS: Look at the picture...something wrong there? (HINT)
hehehe.. hey I'm with ya guys. Peace!..
Same here J7 (about worst WC), though I don't know if it's the WC or just the freaking annoying buzz of the vuvuzela I don't care if it's tradition.. burn the damn things. Same with air horns for the yahoos in the states. If I sit next to you, I will punch you in the throat if you blast it

@Z, LOL! I never knew Africa was so close to the border (USA) or is it, I live in North Africa?!? Now I'm confused.. hehe

gotta agree with ya on the call it football part. Why we (Americans) call our "football" well, uh football.. I'll never know

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #101
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
gotta agree with ya on the call it football part. Why we (Americans) call our "football" well, uh football.. I'll never know
Because we say so and the next time you question that we will have Lucy Draper (aka Kathy Ireland) come visit you. Lucy Draper "Welcome to foot...Ball!" 99.9999999% chance that was for my own entertainment.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #102
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
wow.. the first true upset of the tourney... with spain losing their opener - though I must admit - I'm not hugely surprised. I watched the swiss play Italy in a friendly (1-1) a couple weeks ago and the Swiss were reasonably impressive.

Torres and Villa definitely seem a bit rusty

mtfbwya
Spain totally deserved to win that game, Alonso's shot on the crossbar was a f***ing legend...They created sooo many chances and really played well the Swiss were just really really lucky I think.

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #103
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Anyone that wants to whine about the Vuvuzela's please use this template.

Quote:
Dear Black People in Africa,
I know you love blowing your vuvuzela horns at the soccer. I know it is a tradition that hearkens back to the time of apartheid, where football matches such as the Soweto Derby between Orlando Pirates and Kaiser Chiefs were the only time blacks could congregate without being shot at or told to disperse. You see, I don't care about that, and if I dont like it then that means you have to ban it. Like for realz. And if you don't I'll go on the webs and annoy others about it.
I have several friends in S Africa atm, following either Oz, Spain and Greece(neither very happy atm) Being well aquainted with South African football, they all took some fancy devices called earplugs with them They work a treat apparently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7
This is currently the worst World Cup I've ever seen...
This is also currently the worst world cup ball I've ever seen. Jabulani is a nightmare!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-17-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #104
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dear Vuvuzela Horn Blowers,

The collective sound of your horns literally gave me the shivers as I heard it while watching YouTube videos. That's not a good thing, because the shivers were those of utter and complete dread. The sound "weirded me out x 1,000", and I could not watch even the 1:08 clip of a World Cup match without going nearly insane. Sometimes, when I wake up from a nightmare, I think I hear some loud noise like a bang or thump. I pray to whatever Higher Power is out there that I do NOT wake up and think I hear the sound of your vuvuzela horns trumpeting at full blast. Seriously. I'll think I've heard a grant total of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000 wasps.

I am sensitive to sudden loud noises, but I am even more sensitive to THIS noise.

*Shiver, shiver, quiver,*
Tysyacha

Last edited by Tysyacha; 06-17-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #105
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Another option some are using is tuning into a match on the radio. If the station broadcasting has a decent booth or is doing a remote commentary, the noise of the horns is drowned out considerably or not present at all. Just use that for the commentary whilst watching the TV. I know BBC were looking at a vuvuzela free audio stream in their TV broadcasts(which you could activate by a remote button press) but not sure if anything firm has been decided yet.

Im amazed broadcasters didnt think of that well in advance. Even the US broadcasters should have realised when they were there for the confeds cup last year.

Anyway, DAY 7 - Looks very interesting The teams that didn't get a win in R1 really need to pull their finger out...

ARGENTINA v KOREA: 2-0
GREECE v NIGERIA: 0-1
FRANCE v MEXICO: 1-2
GERMANY v SERBIA: 2-0

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-17-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #106
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Thank you for responding so compassionately to my "letter"!
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #107
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

ARGENTINA v KOREA: 3-1
GREECE v NIGERIA 0-1
FRANCE v MEXICO: 1-1
GERMANY v SERBIA: 2-0

Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #108
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

wow@ Greece. Didn't see that one coming! I'm very pleased with my Mexico selection - it's just appalling to see a team with as many talented players as France do so badly because of player/coach issues. Surely it was evident from the Euros - yet they still stuck with Domenech.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-17-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #109
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
Wow, Argentina won 4-1!! Congrats to Greece too, though they will not be winning their next match.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #110
Holty1-5

Current Game: Final Fantasy 13
Helpful! 
Watching the Mexico-France Game Atm and I May say France seem as Rubbish as they Have been in Many Months....I Am Un sure what it is with France they seem to Have Such Great Talent But cant seem to Play Like they did 10 Years Ago or 12

Plus It Looks Like Carlos Vela got a Hamstring Problem But i could be Wrong.

Current Thoughts on World Cup: North Korea = OMG. Talk about Suprising
Spain vs Switz: Lets Hope Cesc Learns something from this. He sat on the Bench Watvhing Xavi and Iniesta Play... Will Barca Be Any Different????
England-USA= If Robert Green Doesnt Play next Game he could never Recover (Like Paul R) But if they Pick Him again he Could make another error or the Other Keepers Will be Annoyed... Plus Heskey cant hit the Great Wall of China from a Meter Away.
:P

Question of the Moment: Well This question has been Going round my School for a While Now and what would happen if the Final was S.Korea vs N.Korea.... My Anwser... S.Korea Nuked if they Win

Well Thats all i got For Now

Holty1-5 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #111
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
USA v Slovenia: 2-1

I'm not even sure what other matches are being played tomorrow... I guess England vs. Ageria? If that's right I say England: 2 - Algeria:0

Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #112
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
USA v Slovenia: 2-1

I guess England vs. Ageria? If that's right I say England: 2 - Algeria:0
DAY 8:
SLOVENIA v USA: 1-2
ENG v ALGERIA: 3-0
NED v JAPAN: 3-1

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #113
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
wow@ Greece. Didn't see that one coming! I'm very pleased with my Mexico selection - it's just appalling to see a team with as many talented players as France do so badly because of player/coach issues. Surely it was evident from the Euros - yet they still stuck with Domenech.
Greece, I think only won due that idiot deciding to kick an opponent over nothing in the 33rd minute was a good idea. Mexico played well, France I always thought would go out, but I thought they would likely just draw all their games... Domenech, is the worst coach in the competition, and I've never understood why he was in charge... Apparently it was Zidane who actually ran the team when they reached the final in 2006. Messi, I think has been the standout player so far, was great for the Argies yesterday.

DAY 8:
SLOVENIA v USA: 0-2
ENG v ALGERIA: 3-0
GER V SER 2-1

NED v JAPAN: 3-0

Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #114
Seikan

Well, Domenech don't even have words after the defeat, even for the players he just said "i don't know what to say" so yes, he's not a very good coach xD

But alse the players, they just can't work together, the French team is like a patch work of players, more than a team, so that's not only the coach fault either.

(Whatever, I just wanted France to loose (for someone living in Paris it could seem strange xD), and that being against Mexico is event Better *_*, And I also win a Bet )

Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #115
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 

Watching Germany right now...I hope they can prove the 4-0 wasn't a fluke..and that they really are this good!

EDIT: My little .gif ain't working

Last edited by Ztalker; 06-18-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #116
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:

Watching Germany right now...I hope they can prove the 4-0 wasn't a fluke..and that they really are this good!
Germany do have a really good team... Got to the final of Euro 08' and the Semi-Finals of WC 06' - They will do well, however how you do against Serbia now, I don't know this referee is a disgrace, I don't think either of Klose's bookings were actually yellow cards...

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #117
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
well, maybe it was... they just freakin lost to the team that lost to Ghana!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #118
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
Klose's fouls were not worthy of yellow cards. What was up with the ref? The number of German fouls he declared were atrocious.

I hope they bounce back with a win against Ghana.

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #119
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-1162 View Post
Klose's fouls were not worthy of yellow cards. What was up with the ref?
Both his fouls were all from behind, which immediatly qualify as rather grave. Now I don't think the last one was demanded a card but from my understanding the referee did that based on previous, minor infractions he did.

What is surprising is how the red cards are affecting matches' outcomes. This was held true today with Germany and yesterday in Nigeria's game.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #120
Salzella
areiK

Go Slovenia!!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > 2010 FIFA World Cup