lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do any of ye play the emulators?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Do any of ye play the emulators?

I've tried the trial for SWG two times now. Both times were after the NGE. I've never really been moved enough to stick with it and heard a lot of storys about what the game was like pre-cu and pre-nge and so on.

I have to admit the profession aspect of pre-cu intrigues me. As opposed to picking 1 class and lvling that character, there are several professions with their own skill trees and you (the player) decide how to shape your character.
For anyone wanting to know more about pre-cu I found this helpful: http://www.euro-chimaera.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Pre-CU

Anyway, more on point. If I was looking to play an emulator would I only need to get the original game and not the expansions?

More importantly, do any of ye continue to play SWG Emulators??

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I currently play swgemu. There's definitely more substance, but far less content. If you play it, remember that it is a "broken" game at the moment. Some things work, others are horribly broken. The classes and growth in those classes is better than NGE as you can choose and master more than one profession.

To play it you must have a legitimate copy of SWG(IT WILL NOT WORK with the trial). The actual discs. Install it, but do not launch it(so you don't install the NGE to save time). After that you go to their site. Find the link to download the "Launchpad Enhanced" and run it. Point it to where you installed SWG.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
I currently play swgemu. There's definitely more substance, but far less content. If you play it, remember that it is a "broken" game at the moment. Some things work, others are horribly broken. The classes and growth in those classes is better than NGE as you can choose and master more than one profession.

To play it you must have a legitimate copy of SWG(IT WILL NOT WORK with the trial). The actual discs. Install it, but do not launch it(so you don't install the NGE to save time). After that you go to their site. Find the link to download the "Launchpad Enhanced" and run it. Point it to where you installed SWG.
Alright, thanks Tom.

I've been looking at SWGANH & SWGEMU forums and the whole thing is very confusing to me. In a nutshell, is it a case of they're nearly finished going over stuff and when they are happy with then they'll set up a server?

Btw is Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided the original game (before expansions)??

Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
Alright, thanks Tom.

I've been looking at SWGANH & SWGEMU forums and the whole thing is very confusing to me. In a nutshell, is it a case of they're nearly finished going over stuff and when they are happy with then they'll set up a server?

Btw is Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided the original game (before expansions)??
Empire divided is the original game. Of course you can use any legit copy. even Complete online adventures. It just requires a legit installation.
ANH and EMU are both in various stages of broken. Whichever you choose, please keep in mind there WILL be a character wipe. Truegalaxies has set up a server for ANH. though I personally like EMU better, and it seems to have more players on it. I like the direction of ANH better as they are including space. If you like "twitch" gaming, you will love space. It is mostly twitch with damage calculated by dice rolls.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Empire divided is the original game. Of course you can use any legit copy. even Complete online adventures. It just requires a legit installation.
ANH and EMU are both in various stages of broken. Whichever you choose, please keep in mind there WILL be a character wipe. Truegalaxies has set up a server for ANH. though I personally like EMU better, and it seems to have more players on it. I like the direction of ANH better as they are including space. If you like "twitch" gaming, you will love space. It is mostly twitch with damage calculated by dice rolls.
I heard about the character wipe, sounds fair enough that they'd test the game before commiting to a more permanent server.
I didn't know the space combat was part of the expansions, this might be a good enough reason to lean more towards ANH.

Out of curiosity, if the flying is added content i'm geussing that came with the "Jump to Lightspeed" expansion?
Anyway, my point is.. If you wanted to play the ANH with space combat would you still only need an empire divided?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
I heard about the character wipe, sounds fair enough that they'd test the game before commiting to a more permanent server.
I didn't know the space combat was part of the expansions, this might be a good enough reason to lean more towards ANH.

Out of curiosity, if the flying is added content i'm geussing that came with the "Jump to Lightspeed" expansion?
Anyway, my point is.. If you wanted to play the ANH with space combat would you still only need an empire divided?
Yeah space is on their "planned but not implemented" list. EMU have space WAAAAAAAY on the back burner.

You should be able with just the original Empire Divided course I had JTL.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah space is on their "planned but not implemented" list. EMU have space WAAAAAAAY on the back burner.

You should be able with just the original Empire Divided course I had JTL.
Well i'll check amazon & ebay for prices.

Do you know of either anh or emu are using parts of the CU or NGE?
(that's of course if there was anything worth taking from cu or nge)

Old 07-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
DarthJacen
Forumite

While I think this thread is on the verge of "blasphemous" (PM me if you want to know why), you asked a question about the expansion packs that I can answer.

The Complete Online Adventures Pack comes with all the the current expansions. It would be in your best interest to buy that version.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild
DarthJacen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJacen View Post
While I think this thread is on the verge of "blasphemous" (PM me if you want to know why), you asked a question about the expansion packs that I can answer.
Okay. I think I know why it's considered blasphemous but i'll PM anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJacen View Post
The Complete Online Adventures Pack comes with all the the current expansions. It would be in your best interest to buy that version.
Seems to make sense, I might go with that one then.

Last edited by VeniVidiVicous; 07-06-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
ANH is probably going to be beating SWGEMU.

But SWGEMU has a really bad TC..so you should go there.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Community > SWGalaxies.net > Star Wars Galaxies discussion > Game discussion > Do any of ye play the emulators?