lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dragon Age 2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #41
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
It's Official!

From the little info they've given, it doesn't seem the Grey Wardens will be the central aspect of the story this time. I'm a little sad, but when I think about it, it's a good thing not to hang on to them and simply repeat the story from the original.
I have to admit I'm a little worried that the sequel was announced so soon and if that release date of February 2011 is related to DA2, I can't help but feel a lot of skepticism towards the quality of the story and the length of that sequel. Hopefully my feeling will be dead wrong and DA2 will be even better than the original.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #42
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Site is online.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

Seems it will take place in an entire different setting and age.
Strange. The last expansions has an ending in which....well....sequels will be difficult.
Anyway, looking forward for this!!

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #43
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
I have to admit I'm a little worried that the sequel was announced so soon
As I said earlier in this thread, DA1 was finished in 1st quarter 2009. It was merely delayed 9 or 10 months for the console ports. A 1st quarter 20011 release for DA2 is 2 years development - plenty of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
The last expansions has an ending in which....well....sequels will be difficult. Anyway, looking forward for this!!
You mean Awakening? There's nothing in that which would preclude a sequel.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #44
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
As I said earlier in this thread, DA1 was finished in 1st quarter 2009. It was merely delayed 9 or 10 months for the console ports. A 1st quarter 20011 release for DA2 is 2 years development - plenty of time.
That's assuming they started development of DA2 even before publishing DA1, which doesn't sound very cost-effective. Sequel development decisions are based on the profit gained by its predecessor, at least that sounds as the most logical course to me.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #45
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Sequel development decisions are based on the profit gained by its predecessor, at least that sounds as the most logical course to me.
Normally, I’d would say you are correct, but BioWare isn’t the normal developer. They planned Mass Effect as a trilogy and even hinted as much before the sales figures were fully known. It may be a product of the own success. So far they have been pretty successful both in sales and critically. One day that past success is liable to end up biting them in the butt when a game does not live up to what people expect from BioWare. So far, it has not happened.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #46
jrrtoken

Dragon Age II: This time it's not just dark, gritty, and mature; it's generic.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #47
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Have you played DA:O?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #48
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Dragon Age II: This time it's not just dark, gritty, and mature; it's generic.
Yet, it is playable and it does sell enough to make a sequel.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #49
igyman
Tension!

Well, some of the bits of info that were released aren't very reassuring, like the fact that we'll only be able to play as a human in DA2 and that there will be no origin stories, but I'll try not to judge before they release that trailer and some additional info.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #50
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
like the fact that we'll only be able to play as a human in DA2
What?

If I can’t play as my usual female elf seductress, then I will not play.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #51
Q
The one who knocks

Human only? That is disconcerting. I was hoping for more races, actually. There weren't enough in DA:O.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #52
igyman
Tension!

Yup, they've confirmed it on the official forums.

Source

Apparently the character will also have a fixed surname - Hawke. We'll be allowed to pick the gender though.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #53
Q
The one who knocks

How generous of them.

-Toker
Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #54
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Yup, they've confirmed it on the official forums.

Source

Apparently the character will also have a fixed surname - Hawke. We'll be allowed to pick the gender though.
Gonads.

That sucks.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #55
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
I sure hope I'll be able to enter a random store, endorse it by saying its my favorite shop in the entire city, and get a discount for it.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #56
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
hey got a crazy idea.....

Imagine if you are morin's the witch child.......thats why you are human....It would make the DA 2 fit as a sequel

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #57
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Who is morin?

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #58
logan23
Veteran

Im sorry...i got her name mispelled. Morlin, i think.....its the mage with the mother Flemeth...the woman of the wilds.....remember that deal at the end of DA:O ....your PC could make...dont want to say more since it would be a spoiler for people who have not played DA:O.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #59
Revan 411
Forumite

As long as we get to customize the appearance of our PC, then I honestly could care less about the fixed surname, or the discarding of origin stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23
Im sorry...i got her name mispelled. Morlin, i think.....its the mage with the mother Flemeth...the woman of the wilds.....remember that deal at the end of DA:O ....your PC could make...dont want to say more since it would be a spoiler for people who have not played DA:O.
Her name is Morrigan.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #60
logan23
Veteran

lol, thanks...the heat is getting to me...
Thats my theory.

The removal of non humans might give Bioware more freedom in making the longer and mor dynamic....

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #61
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
Imagine if you are morin's the witch child.......thats why you are human....It would make the DA 2 fit as a sequel
Doesn't work

Show spoiler

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #62
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
hey got a crazy idea.....

That's not crazy at all. This is Bioware we're talking about, here, so I wouldn't be surprised if you turned out to be absolutely right. That whole dark ritual thing didn't happen for nothing.

-Toker
Old 07-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #63
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Just the fact that you mentioned Morrigan has/could have a child was already a spoiler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Doesn't work

Show spoiler
Sure it could work, it would just mean BioWare would have to dictate which ending was "canon", sort of how TSL "canon" considers the Exile to be female.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #64
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Sure it could work, it would just mean BioWare would have to dictate which ending was "canon", sort of how TSL "canon" considers the Exile to be female.
You know my pet peeve about gaming company practices. If my decisions don’t mean anything, don’t give them to me.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #65
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Have you played DA:O?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Yet, it is playable
Subjective, especially when it comes to The Game That Must Not Be Named. And really, I didn't cite gameplay as the issue; it's well and all in that realm.
Quote:
and it does sell enough to make a sequel.
A chance at a sequel isn't indicative of the quality of the initial product. There's plenty of examples, both of good and bad games, which have defied your theory. But this is a whole other thread, really.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #66
logan23
Veteran

Quote:
You know my pet peeve about gaming company practices. If my decisions don’t mean anything, don’t give them to me.
I know what you mean but i know how it can be resolved.
Below explains how it can work.

Spoiler warning
Show spoiler

Logan

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #67
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
we'll only be able to play as a human in DA2
Quote:
So I would guess that we are in for a ME-style voiced PC then, hence why they canned other races. That would also fit with their claim that DA2 will be "more cinematic". Dialogue wheel here we come huh? Urgh.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #68
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Agreed, they're doing this to create a voiced PC and a two-way conversation system. I honestly couldn't care less since this Hawke fellow doesn't look so bad to start with. They're clearly bringing the game closer to ME2 based on the latter's success.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #69
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

I hope some rich guy funds a giant robot dragon for me to go around and collect compatriots with, it will also have a fish tank and an intercom that I can use to ring up bitches to dance for me...

Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #70
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Agreed, they're doing this to create a voiced PC and a two-way conversation system. I honestly couldn't care less since this Hawke fellow doesn't look so bad to start with. They're clearly bringing the game closer to ME2 based on the latter's success.
Unfortunately I’ve just downloaded and started playing Leliana’s Song, and if it is any indications, then fully voiced PC does seem to be the direction the Dragon Age franchise is headed.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #71
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

It obviously gets a better reception than the mute PC. New players can easily identify with a player who echoes what they chose rather than a mechanical choice-response-response-choice-response system.

Apart from that it was done in older RPGs, the non-voiced argument doesn't really have much backing behind it. Publishers are more willing to go that extra mile and pay for a fully-voiced PC than a mute reading-intensive system.

Also, cinematic experience.

If they must go wheel-style word-based choices, I hope they take Human Revolution's idea of blending both word-based and full-sentence options.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 AM   #72
igyman
Tension!

Haven't seen any concrete info on the dialog system, but rumor has it they'll use a combination of Awakening's and Origins' dialog systems.

As for why Hawke is human, it has also been confirmed on the official forums that he/she isn't Morrigan's child.

Last edited by igyman; 07-09-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #73
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Is there any word on when DA2 is set? Hawke is apparently a Blight survivor, but which one? The one in DA1 (the 4th) or some other one? I kind of got the impression from the initial info and the whole "spans a decade" thing that it might be a prequel.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #74
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Regarding the Awakenings ending;

spoiler:
If you side with the Architect...which is a somewhat darkside choice, he will remove the 'connection' between blights and old gods, effectively making sure no Archdemon will rise in the future

Anyway, still looking forward to this!

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #75
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Regarding the Awakenings ending
Somebody saying they will do something is very different from actually carrying it out. I don't see Awakening having much impact on DA2's plotline.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #76
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
If they must go wheel-style word-based choices, I hope they take Human Revolution's idea of blending both word-based and full-sentence options.
Indeed, the "what you pick is what you say" and "fully voiced protagonist" dialog features are not mutually exclusive in any way. For example the Deus Ex games both had full Voice over for the protagonist and showed you what Denton would say in the list of response options. This is the variant I personally prefer since you don't get any silly dialog surprises like in Mass Effect and it's easier to relate to a character who actively takes part in the conversation and not just stands there nodding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Is there any word on when DA2 is set? Hawke is apparently a Blight survivor, but which one? The one in DA1 (the 4th) or some other one? I kind of got the impression from the initial info and the whole "spans a decade" thing that it might be a prequel.
It has to be the 5th Blight, the one you deal with in ÐA:Origins (the 4th was the one ended by the dalish Grey Warden Garahel 4 centuries earlier). Since the game is still called Ðragon Age, each Age in the Chantry calendar is a century long, and there is a few centuries between each Blight where the Darkspawn rebuild their numbers and find the next Archdemon.

It's also the only one that would make sense if your character's actions in ÐA:Origins will have some consequences in ÐA2, which one of the developers claimed.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #77
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Ah 5th - sorry. Guess I fail the DA history test.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:51 AM   #78
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Some snippets from the upcoming magazine article have been posted by Game Informer - http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...on-age-ii.aspx

It confirms that there is indeed full PC voice-over. Seems Hawke was in Lothering during DA1 and survived the Darkspawn attack. No word of how old he/she was at this point - but possibly reasonably youngish if DA2 spans 10 years.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 AM   #79
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

So it does take place in the same era as the first game. Weird, since a lot of people were blabbering that it will take place at a different time altogether. The rest of the stuff sounds too much like Fable to me, though.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #80
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall
This sounds far less impressive when you remember that Kirkwall is the capital of Orkney, a small archipelago just north of Scotland.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Dragon Age 2