lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kansas Church Protests Comic-Con as Idol Worship
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Kansas Church Protests Comic-Con as Idol Worship

It's comforting to know that deluded zealots arent confined to any particular religion!

The Kansas based Westboro Baptist Church is heading over to San Diego to protest against Comic-Con, labelling it as "Idol Worship"

source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westboro Baptist Church Protest Schedule
If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry.
Reading up on Westboro, it seems like they are quite outspoken on contriversial topics, even theirsite URL is somewhat unpleasant.

An a non-Christian, all I can offer is that these folks are the equivalent of those whacky Islamic clerics that western news sources like to quote.

I am quite certain Westboro is not representative of the feeling of any majority of Christians, and next time you hear from a whacky Islamic cleric, ask that you keep that in mind

If any of you are going to Comic-con, express your First Amendment rights and give these guys the finger on behalf of all comic book fans worldwide

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Isn't the Baptist church another of those fundamentalist churches? If yes, I think we should expect no less from them. Just ignore them as I do.

Anyway, as a catholic christian, I'm not related to those guys and don't want to.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
I continue to remain oblivious as to how worshipping idols is any different from worshipping the Christian God.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I continue to remain oblivious as to how worshipping idols is any different from worshipping the Christian God.
Keep looking.

Meh. I hate comic-con too. But I hate it because it's full of annoying dweebs who can't hold a conversation.

@OT: They just need to take a moment, and remove the sticks from their butts.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Im with you Sabrez, an idol is an idol. The only thing is that most people at Comic-Con will readily admit Spiderman and his powers have little bearing on the physical world

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai'galaar Bralor View Post
Keep looking.
That I will, Mr. Hanging Bra, that I will.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
Last time I checked there wasn't any Church of Marvel or somesuch, so these guys can go **** themselves.

Quote:
Technically, the Christian God is not represented as an image/idol, so we aren't worshipping a representation of God, but God Himself.

Of course the Church messed up this concept by creating innumerable posters and statues of Jesus everywhere.

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Doesn't the Westboro Baptist Church consist of about thirty people, most of whom are the family of Fred Phelps, the "pastor"? Isn't it also the "God hates fags" church, with the signs at soldiers' funerals, etc?

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Doesn't the Westboro Baptist Church consist of about thirty people, most of whom are the family of Fred Phelps, the "pastor"? Isn't it also the "God hates fags" church, with the signs at soldiers' funerals, etc?
Correct, sir! As a military person going to Comic-Con this year, I'll just have to hope for food poisoning from poorly packed hate lunchboxes.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
These Westboro morons should be gagged, bound, locked in a very large trunk and shipped to Antarctica. The right to free speech is one of the founding principles of the United States but these no talent a**clowns abuse it to the highest degree.

*edit: and furthermore...they are a hate group of the worst kind along the same lines as Al Qaeda and other extremist groups as they use God as an excuse for their discrimination, and while I'm sure Comicon will ignore them completely the fact that they continue to assemble near the funerals of men and women who died protecting their freedom to be jackasses carrying disparaging signs and shouting things at the loved ones of dead soldiers disgusts me.

*end rant*

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Last edited by JediAthos; 07-10-2010 at 09:34 AM.
JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-1162 View Post
Technically, the Christian God is not represented as an image/idol, so we aren't worshipping a representation of God, but God Himself.

Of course the Church messed up this concept by creating innumerable posters and statues of Jesus everywhere.
Well yes, that, and also the fact that idol worshippers aren't actually worshipping a little stone figure, but the more powerful deity the stone figure is supposed to represent. Offerings made to the stone figure, are therefore, representative of your devotion to the grande deity de hugeness.

This is something that has long been misunderstood by Abrahamic religions and has ended up with them condemning idol worship, when it is no different from a more visually represented version of their own religion.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
There are few things more dangerous than a bored Baptist.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Here's an idea: put them and Al-Qaeda in a pit and watch them fight to the death.

But seriously, these guys are lower than some of the worst criminals. I swear, I'd give them the finger and yell F-bombs at them in front of my parents - never mind that I'll get punished for it.

Maybe we should let Jon Stewart get his choir and start singing "Go F*** Yourselves!" to their faces...

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The man, and his family of inbred lunatics are clearly idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Insidious
He also runs the website godhatessweden.com.

Fortunately we need not worry about him infecting the UK with his stupidity - I seem to remember the last time he tried to enter the UK he was threatened with arrest, along with any members of his 'Church', and he was subsequently banned from entering the UK.

He should be strung up and shot, along with any other Baptists if this is how they see Christianity.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
But seriously, these guys are lower than some of the worst criminals.
And the grand prize for ridiculous hyperbole goes to...

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Here's an idea: put them and Al-Qaeda in a pit and watch them fight to the death.
The sad part is that there are high chances of them reaching an agreement instead.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
There are few things more dangerous than a bored Baptist.
Hey I'm Baptist, and I'm usually bored reading threads like this.

This one is particular funny to me as Fred Phelps worships attention. Little hypocritical of him to have his cult protest Comic-Con for idol worship. Hate to write this, but it is true; Westboro “Baptist” is the one group where I am rooting for the Kool-Aid.

Good job Astrotoy7 at helping give Mr. Fred Phelps and followers get the attention they so desperately crave.

Last edited by mimartin; 07-10-2010 at 02:33 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
The sad part is that there are high chances of them reaching an agreement instead.
With the inevitable result involving kamikaze airliners crashing into abortion clinics.

-Toker
Old 07-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Good job Astrotoy7 at helping give Mr. Fred Phelps and followers get the attention the attention they so desperately crave.
lmao... thats right mimartin, its always the muslim guys fault. How Texan of you

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED[/aircraftcarrier]

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
How Texan of you
Your impressions of Texans are shrewd by images on television and the carpet baggers.

Excuse me while I ride the horse out back and check the oil well.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Ignore the Westboro idiots, please. I used to live in Topeka where they're based. The 'pastor' has been defrocked by the Baptist church and kicked out, and he's a giant nut. There are about 4 large families in the church, and all they do is run around trolling about how 'God hates fags' and picket at the funerals of soldiers they even suspect are gay. It's horrendous what they do. They are absolutely unreasonable even with the most reasoned of arguments. They have chosen their path. They are a tiny group of people who love to make a ton of noise.

His views are not in line with any of the Baptist conventions. Anyone who wishes to know what the Baptist faith is all about can read the tenets of faith and rules and by-laws of major Baptist organizations like the North American Baptist association and the Southern Baptist Convention.

The only reason they haven't had their children taken away from them and put into foster care is because Kansas is too afraid of legal action from them. Half the people there have gotten law degrees, and they sue at the drop of a hat for the most ridiculous reasons. The state finally got the gumption up to disbar Fred Phelps, but his daughter just continues his work.

DON'T visit their site, DON'T even talk to them. They only get more traction with increased attention and site counts. mimartin is right, they absolutely crave attention, and they try to get it any way they can by saying the most outrageous and controversial things they can. This is not a religious issue, it's a psychological and pathological issue with a very small group of very disturbed individuals. It has absolutely nothing to do with Islam, Christianity, or any other flavor of religion and everything to do with their group narcissism.

The best thing you can possibly do is ignore them.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 07-10-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #22
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
He also runs the website godhatessweden.com.
What?! Nobody can hate Sweden, not even God. <insert picture of stunningly beautiful blonde Swedish babe>

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
This thread is now about stunningly beautiful blonde Swedish babes.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
What?! Nobody can hate Sweden, not even God.
One thing you can say about Westbro - they hate everyone. Homosexuals are their favorite target, but they also gone after Jews, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, Hinduism and most every country on earth including the United States.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #25
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
but they also gone after Jews,
They seem to forget that the Jews are God's chosen people, and that the rest of us Christians are just getting the table scraps. Not including those loud mouthed *censored*.

It would be most amusing if some returning soldiers found out about the funeral picketing and decided to get even.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #26
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
His views are not in line with any of the Baptist conventions.
This is where non-Christians like me get confused. How can they say they are baptist and not be a baptist? Are their any rules/laws that prohibit them using a particular title if it does not represent the majority outlook.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #27
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
This is where non-Christians like me get confused. How can they say they are baptist and not be a baptist? Are their any rules/laws that prohibit them using a particular title if it does not represent the majority outlook.

mtfbwya
Not a christian issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The United States Constitution
Amendment 1 Free of Religion, Press, Expression

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
So no, there is no law prohibiting them from calling themselves Baptist and if there were it would be unconstitutional. Thus the inherent danger with laws that protect individual right and freedoms, those same laws protect idiots and people that disagree with your views. Still I would rather it be this way.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #28
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Nothing like a few fundamentalists to make the whole religion look as stupid as they are.

Still, this is a step up from Cullenistic Christianity.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #29
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:

mtfbwya
They can do it because it's the US and there are freedom of religion/freedom of speech issues at stake in this case. My guess is they've been told to remove 'Baptist' from their church name, but the Westboro-ites decided to leave it there to thumb their noses at the convention, and then threaten the convention with a freedom-of-speech lawsuit if they try to press the issue. This is their usual MO for just about everything. The Baptist convention has more important things than to pursue the issue all the way up to the Supreme Court.

@Jai'galaar Bralor--wrong answer. All that would do is make those idiots into martyrs.
I suspect it's going to be a circus when Phelps dies (hopefully of natural causes), with thousands picketing his funeral, but I'd prefer he died and was buried in utter obscurity, with the rest of the world 'shaking the dust off their sandals' at him.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #30
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
This thread is now about stunningly beautiful blonde Swedish babes.

I'll see your bimbo and raise you a Bergman:

-Toker
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #31
Trench
Guy with Monocle

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
@Jai'galaar Bralor--wrong answer. All that would do is make those idiots into martyrs.
I suspect it's going to be a circus when Phelps dies (hopefully of natural causes), with thousands picketing his funeral, but I'd prefer he died and was buried in utter obscurity, with the rest of the world 'shaking the dust off their sandals' at him.
I wasn't talking something violent. But maybe picketing some of their events and creating websites against them. Not something I would support, but I would find it amusing.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #32
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
There was/is a group of bikers that was countering them for awhile by showing up at the same funerals and either escorting the mourners or drowning out the picketers..I can't remember which nor can I remember the name of the biker group off hand. I just remember reading about it.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #33
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Evil Q wins this entire thread. When I stop laughing at his comments, and then wipe the drool from my chin from Ms. Bergman, demure dream, and the first girl I wan.. Victoria Silvstedt, I have this to say.

I disagree, mimartin, in a small way about your comment regarding feeding the turd the attention he wants. Yeah, we need to ignore this guy, but at the same time he is such a shining example of stupidity and inconsistency that I feel people need to be aware of this guy and his beliefs. It will scare almost everybody, and the remainder you know who to look out for :wildwest:

My gay roommate brought Phelps and his church to my attention, as he was considering going to an anti-rally to thwart Westboro's rally. What a tool.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #34
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
There was/is a group of bikers that was countering them for awhile by showing up at the same funerals and either escorting the mourners or drowning out the picketers..I can't remember which nor can I remember the name of the biker group off hand. I just remember reading about it.
Patriot Guard Riders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Guard_Riders

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #35
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
Jae you are absolutely correct - you say everything in your post on this matter that I would say in mine.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #36
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
I'll see your bimbo and raise you a Bergman:

Indeed. Though Ive always been a bit more partial to her daughter, Isabella Rosselini. Seeing her in Blue Velvet when I was 9 inspired and messed me up in unimaginable ways

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #37
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Um, isn't today's society based on worship of idols, no matter what, or who it is? Sure, it doesn't mean going by every word that comes out of your chosen idol's mouth, but it does mean that you have reason to buy posters, Cds, movies, or whatever else you want. Which also drives the economy, or so it seems.

Maybe most don't worship Batman, Superman, or any fictional famous character to the extent that the Bible mentions, but them saying this now, is a little late. They should've tried that crap around the 40s to the 60s, when it was only a growing market, not a full fledged industry.

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #38
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtas Vadum View Post
Um, isn'tThey should've tried that crap around the 40s to the 60s, when it was only a growing market, not a full fledged industry.
There will always be someone who says that they have a direct line to a higher power and that if you dont like 'their guy' then you are following a false idol. Its something common to the big 3 religions and beyond.

It's been going on for Millennia, at least...

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #39
True_Avery
Banned

It amuses me that a Religion that uses Art as propaganda is calling out people for not paying attention to their particular Art.

Here is an idea: Use better Art. Right now they've got ugly posters, ugly websites, poor music, and crappy speeches. Also, subtly is your friend.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #40
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
It amuses me that a Religion that uses Art as propaganda is calling out people for not paying attention to their particular Art.
Religion? No need to generalize.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Kansas Church Protests Comic-Con as Idol Worship