lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Jim Ward to represent your community at a national level?
Yes, I would vote for Jim Ward to lead me forward to the future! 3 12.00%
No way! That Jim Ward guy would never get my vote. 15 60.00%
Meh, I don't bother with that whole voting thing. 3 12.00%
Voting is such an outdated concept. This is the 21st century baby! Dictatorships rule! 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Would you vote for Jim Ward?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Would you vote for Jim Ward?

It just so happens that I reside in the same US congressional district where a certain former LucasArts president is running as a candidate for the US House of Representatives.

Jim Ward For Congress

So I got to wondering what my fellow Ahtonauts would do if they had the opportunity to vote or not vote Jim Ward into a body of national representatives that create and modify laws and determine how their country's tax dollars will be spent. To be clear, I'm not using this poll as a means to determine how I personally will vote. I just wanted to see what others would do if they were in my position.

NOTE: I made this a public poll so everybody that votes will be on the record, unlike how it actually works in U.S.A. voting booths.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Well so long as it isn't Bobby Kotick. Him being the president of the USA would probably cause a third World War.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Well so long as it isn't Bobby Kotick. Him being the president of the USA would probably cause a third World War.
In which you have to pay $15 every month to enjoy protection of the army.

Maybe if he is elected he will be knighted? Someone cutting of his padawan braid?

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Astor
It's Thornhill!

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I voted no.

But that's from the fortunate position of not being directly affected by him or his opponent.

Although, reading his website, I did laugh at this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ward
At Lucasfilm, I oversaw the planning, development and execution of the global marketing and distribution programs for all of Lucasfilm’s motion picture, video and television properties. And no, I can’t be held accountable for Jar Jar Binks.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I guess I would, although I don't live in the US.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Is he the guy who canceled KotOR 3?

Oh, and LOL@the last voting choice.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
Litofsky
Galaxial

After reading over his positions, I voted no. I like how he compares Terrorism to Immigration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ward
We are in a war. We are in a war with extreme Islam in the next chapter of Jihad and we are in a war with illegal immigrants and drug cartels pouring into this country creating economic and criminal hardship.
Gentlemen of the West United States, I bid you stand fight! On a more serious note, there's a difference between the people coming to the United States to find legitimate work and those here to spread drugs. From what I read, Mr. Ward treats illegal immigrants with a blanket disapproval (unless they immigrated here legally, which we all know is a very simple matter).

Immigration aside, the rest of his positions seem to be those of a typical Republican (i.e., 'Maintain spending six hundred billion dollars a year on defense,' etc). The only time he wins points is in denying any relationship with Jar Jar Binks.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
No, I wouldn't. I never vote conservative. Also, the dictatorship choice was tempting.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Whatever...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Yep. It is generally believed that Jim Ward cancelled KotOR 3 shortly after assuming the presidential reins of LucasArts. Considering this is a KotOR fan forum I didn't want to overly bias anybody against the guy though. I figured if Ahtonauts that vote in this poll know of Jim Ward's history at LucasArts then whatever knowledge they already had would probably inform their choice.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
The fact that the Tea Party is endorsing him is enough for me to not vote for him.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
Yep. It is generally believed that Jim Ward cancelled KotOR 3 shortly after assuming the presidential reins of LucasArts.
That is all I needed to know. I don’t care what his positions are on the issues. He could be Mother Teresa, Gandhi and Mandela all rolled into one and I still would not vote for him.

Some things are more important than politics, like video games.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Whatever...
I was laughing at it. You know; as in not taking it seriously...
Quote:
Quote:
Yep. It is generally believed that Jim Ward cancelled KotOR 3 shortly after assuming the presidential reins of LucasArts. Considering this is a KotOR fan forum I didn't want to overly bias anybody against the guy though. I figured if Ahtonauts that vote in this poll know of Jim Ward's history at LucasArts then whatever knowledge they already had would probably inform their choice.
GAH! I knew it! Tar him, feather him, and BOIL HIM IN OIL!

I absolutely despise this man!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
jrrtoken

This is how it works: Jim Ward rarely even listened to his own customers, and when he did, he listened with a looking glass in his ear (KotOR 3 = KotOR MMO). Do you honestly expect that he'll do better when dealing with his own constituents for the U.S. of F*****' A.?
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Couldn't vote for/vs him, wrong state. Otherwise, despite the K3 thing, I'd vote for him b/c his opponent is a real dirtbag.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I put "no" because I never vote conservative. And he cancelled the REAL KOTOR III!
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
True_Avery
Banned

Who the f*** votes for Congressmen anymore?

Kotor 3? Meh, economically feasible for it to be an MMO and its not like the rest of Lucasarts hasn't abandoned our fanbase anyway. Frankly, all of Bioware is at fault since they never actually wanted to do a sequel in the first place. My bet is they -claimed- to want to do Kotor 3, but really the entire plan from the beginning was an MMO. They didn't want to do the second game, so I see no reason why Bioware would want to do the third. Basically, they were uninterested in Kotor before Jim ever took the reins.

As far as the dude politically, his stupidity can be summed up in one sentence: "If Reagan were here you know what he’d say". Yet again another guy preaching Reagan without ever studying his actual presidency. Its hilarious that modern day politicians think he'd agree with anything they're doing and its to the point that he has become sort of the Jesus for politicians now; Nobody pays attention to what he actually said and did, but instead they apply any random s*** they make up on the spot to him. Its just as bad as all of them raving about how they want America to go back to the way it was, like, 30 years ago.

Last edited by True_Avery; 07-29-2010 at 09:13 PM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #18
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Choice 666: Burn his opponent and him in my basement.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
truJedi
Rookie

whats a jim ward ????

... I am Jacks Smirking Revenge
truJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by truJedi View Post
whats a jim ward ????
Did you even read anything in this topic?

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Well, seeing as how he's in my district.... I AM voting for him. We need more people to stand up against the insane spending. I prefer a Republican Congress with a Dem President.

And him canceling KOTOR 3.. Meh... if 2 was better, maybe I would have felt differently. But He also oversaw Battlefront and BFII, and the release of the OT on DVD.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #22
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
and the release of the OT on DVD.
Isn't that Lucasfilm's job?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #23
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

^^^
Yes, that is Lucasfilm's job. Jim Ward was also Senior VP of Marketing, Distribution, and Online for Lucasfilm for a number of years before he was given the additional title of President of LucasArts. Pretty sure he started at Lucasfilm either shortly before or shortly after TPM debuted in theaters.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
^^^
Yes, that is Lucasfilm's job. Jim Ward was also Senior VP of Marketing, Distribution, and Online for Lucasfilm for a number of years before he was given the additional title of President of LucasArts. Pretty sure he started at Lucasfilm either shortly before or shortly after TPM debuted in theaters.
Ah. Thanks for explaining that.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #25
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

As an independent one thing I am looking for is fiscal responsibility.
This thread is about politics based on unpopularity of his decisions in lucasfilm productions. Of course I dislike quite a bit of stuff in this respect.
However, I'm not really close enough to be affected. *shrug*

Quote:
Well, seeing as how he's in my district.... I AM voting for him. We need more people to stand up against the insane spending. I prefer a Republican Congress with a Dem President.

And him canceling KOTOR 3.. Meh... if 2 was better, maybe I would have felt differently. But He also oversaw Battlefront and BFII, and the release of the OT on DVD.
My problem (aside K3, SW, etc.) with him is that he doesn't seem to stand out from other Republicans enough and be a more independent candidate.

Otherwise I do like his strong 2nd amendment stance, and that he is fiscally responsible (or at least that's what he's running on).

Time will only tell, of course.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
True_Avery
Banned

For a +1 to his fiscal responsibility... he did drop K3 for SWTOR. While it pissed off a lot of people, SWTOR -does- have the potential to make 10x as much money as K3 would have.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I didn't think he did that great a job managing at LA, so I'm not too excited about him managing my tax dollars, either. This, of course, assumes the other person/people running for Congress are better managers, or at least semi-competent.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I didn't think he did that great a job managing at LA, so I'm not too excited about him managing my tax dollars, either. This, of course, assumes the other person/people running for Congress are better managers, or at least semi-competent.
Considering it's politicians...

Lets see I've heard the campaign ads for the others...

Chris Salvino (R) His add says that he is an ordinary guy, just like you. A father, a surgeon, a pilot. um.... I wonder what was on the list that DIDN'T make it... I mean The other day I was saving a life while flying my plane...

Lee Gentry (R) He's not a career politician. He was just the 08 Candidate... And didn't do much then either...

David Schweikert (R) He's for stopping Obama and Pilosi's wreckless spending. Then again, all of them are for that... I'm not sure, but I think I also heard he was for enforcing anti-abortion laws... um... No thanks. Not that I'm pro abortion, BUT... I know there are circumstances where it needs to be done.

Susan Bitter-Smith (R) Same thing as all of the other Republicans...

Oh and you guys wanting a Dem, well... Harry Mitchell, is the current Dem in the office, BUT he's saying he's retiring.
Of course he wasn't elected to the district, Actually he was appointed.

Oh and Jim ward introduced Win 95, The Powerbook(MAC), Tiger Woods, and a few other things...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #29
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
He's for stopping Obama and Pilosi's wreckless spending. Then again, all of them are for that...
Yep stop Obama and Pilosi's reckless spending, for there own reckless spending.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #30
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Indeed. Nowadays it's hard for me to believe in claims of "fiscal responsibility" from either Republicans or Democrats.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #31
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Whatever...
he meant the last choice in the poll, not your choice of a reply lol

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #32
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
he meant the last choice in the poll, not your choice of a reply lol
Yeah, only saw it after he replied. Sorry there, Evil Q.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #33
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
A former Lucasarts exec able to lead our country?

I have yet to see a good exec from Lucasarts...they may have had their "glory days," but they have never had good leadership...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #34
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Oh, I'm not forgetting the reckless spending during Bush... However, This congress is like a teenage girl with daddy's credit card. Sure I blame Bush, and the Republican congress. However most of these Dems campaigned on stopping the reckless spending of the Republicans... And increased spending...

At any rate, there's virtually no difference between the two... On the Republicans you get poo, on the Dems you get poo... It's just which one stinks less to you that you vote for.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
Q
The one who knocks

^ That's it, in a nutshell.
Quote:
Yeah, only saw it after he replied. Sorry there, Evil Q.
No problem.

-Toker
Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #36
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
Oh, I'm not forgetting the reckless spending during Bush... However, This congress is like a teenage girl with daddy's credit card. Sure I blame Bush, and the Republican congress. However most of these Dems campaigned on stopping the reckless spending of the Republicans... And increased spending...

At any rate, there's virtually no difference between the two... On the Republicans you get poo, on the Dems you get poo... It's just which one stinks less to you that you vote for.
And which one will be easier to clean off once you step in it.

In NV and CA both choices in both states look grim and neither sit well.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #37
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
From where I'm standing (Europe, where the evil commies live), it seems like the Dems spend money to save the common people, while the Republicans spend money to save the business people and defend the 'Holy Amendments' at all costs. A big generalization, perhaps, but I'm only saying what I'm observing. But I'm not calling the Dems White Knights either, mind you.

Quote:
Well, what a rotten way to vote, but I guess there's no escaping from it. Or people would have to start voting for third parties en masse. (You may take this as a hint, if you want )

Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #38
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
From where I'm standing (Europe, where the evil commies live), it seems like the Dems spend money to save the common people, while the Republicans spend money to save the business people and defend the 'Holy Amendments' at all costs. A big generalization, perhaps, but I'm only saying what I'm observing.
The flipside of the issue is that the Democrats try to kill small businesses by taxing and regulating them to death while the Republicans usually try to give them a break.

-Toker
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #39
Tommycat
>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
From where I'm standing (Europe, where the evil commies live), it seems like the Dems spend money to save the common people, while the Republicans spend money to save the business people and defend the 'Holy Amendments' at all costs. A big generalization, perhaps, but I'm only saying what I'm observing. But I'm not calling the Dems White Knights either, mind you.
That's one way to look at it, however, saving business saves jobs. And those holy amendments, the "bill of rights," are an important foundation of our Constitution. Saving the "common people" can also be looked at as making more people dependent on the government. Of course this part of the conversation MAY be heading for Kavars territory, so I won't argue too much.

Quote:
Well, what a rotten way to vote, but I guess there's no escaping from it. Or people would have to start voting for third parties en masse. (You may take this as a hint, if you want )
Personally I wish we could get rid of the "Two Party" system altogether. It's like being given a choice between brown poo and somewhat yellowish poo, and if you choose the steak instead, it's like you didn't vote.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #40
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
The flipside of the issue is that the Democrats try to kill small businesses by taxing and regulating them to death while the Republicans usually try to give them a break.
<sigh> Nobody helps us 'mom and pop' businesses anymore.

Get diced up into a bazillion pieces by the regulators and regulations and ambulance chasers and die a slow death, or be left to fend for yourself out in the jungle while the larger predators stalk you as food and close in for the final kill.

That's pretty much the choice we all have when it comes to running your own business.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Would you vote for Jim Ward?