lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Pit Bulls
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Pit Bulls

Okay, so I get a lot of flak from people when I tell them I have 3 pit bulls. It mostly comes down to people having an irrational fear of pit bulls. Insurance companies even add to it by refusing insurance to people who own pit bulls. It has become a major irritant to me as these are some very wonderful dogs. A lot of it comes from misinformation.

Here are some of the things I have heard.
Myth: Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs.
Fact: Pit bulls were bred to help people on cattle farms and slaughter houses. They would work as a team to hold the bull when it was time to slaughter the bull.

Myth: Pit bulls bite people more than other dogs.
Fact: Many times people misidentify the breed as a pit bull. A boxer, or Mastif to an unfamiliar person is just another pit bull(see if you can find the ONE pit bull on this page). It also happens to be one of the most popular breeds. More dogs in the population, more bites. Seems rather elementary.

Myth: Pit bulls have locking jaws.
Fact: Pit bulls jaws are functionally no different than other dogs.

Myth: Pit bulls don't feel pain.
Fact: This is kinda true. Pit bulls DO feel pain, but they have determination to ignore the pain and finish what they are tasked to do.

Myth: Pit bulls have the highest bite pressure per square inch that can reach 2000PSI.
Fact: Both the German Sheppard AND the Rottweiler have a higher bite pressure. Rotties have nearly 100PSI more. Rottweilers have a bite force of 328PSI. But by contrast humans have a bite force up to 280PSI. Bite force of a pit bull is 235PSI... Oops looks like a pit bull has a lower bite force than a human. So where did these high PSI numbers come from? Probably the alligator which actually has a bite force of 2200 lbs.

Myth: Pit bull brains swell causing them to go crazy.
Fact: The same rumor went around about Dobermans. There have been no studies that showed that EITHER breed had any type of swelling that made them go crazy.

Myth: Pit bulls turn on their owners.
Fact: Pit bulls are actually the most loyal of the breeds. When a dog "turns" on it's owner, it is usually because warning signs were ignored for a long time. Improper handling and training of the dog to encourage aggressive behavior. Pit bulls want to please their master. So when you train it to be mean, it becomes mean. Figure the odds. Some times it's because of disease which warning signs are ignored. But that's true of all dogs.

Myth: Pit bulls are aggressive to other animals.
Fact: um... curious, maybe... but the cats and the bird seem to have no problem with my Blue Pit. or the other two pits.

Myth: Pit bulls are dangerous to have around a family.
Fact: LOL The American Temperment Testing Society recently did a study of 122 breeds. Pit Bulls scored 86% Pretty high up there. Better than many other "common" breeds including Collies and Miniature Poodles

Anyone else have pit bulls that would like to give more information?


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 08-15-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,046
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Myth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Insurance companies even add to it by refusing insurance to people who own pit bulls.
Fact: Some insurance companies, not all. In fairness, it is the same insurance companies that made people remove slides and diving board from pools. Talk to your neigbors and you will know what I mean.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Myth:

Fact: Some insurance companies, not all. In fairness, it is the same insurance companies that made people remove slides and diving board from pools. Talk to your neigbors and you will know what I mean.
Haha having pit bulls, I know that it's not all insurance companies that won't insure you. I used insurance companies, like I would people. Not all of them, but quite a few refuse to insure those that have pit bulls, and diving boards(I had both... yay me). But a lot of the cheaper insurance companies refuse to offer insurance. Course, I look at it like this. If they refuse to insure, chances are they are an insurance company I shouldn't use anyway.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
I don't own a pit bull, but a few friends of mine do. Like any dog, temperament varies, and most of the time is due to how the owner raises them. If a dog is vicious, most of the time it's the owner's fault. Same goes for rotties, dobermans, german shepherds, etc.

Funnily enough, one of my friends' pit bull is the meekest dog I know. I saw it try to hide from a corgi. Ferocious death machine? Not quite.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are are illegal to breed, therefore not easily available here in the UK... the rules are;

They must be neutered.
They must be insured.
They must be muzzled and kept on a lead in public.
They must be microchipped.
They must be registered.

So, as they are neutered, they are not legally available from a breeder. So you dont see them here.


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
It's funny how I ended up being a pit bull owner. Originally I was like many people. I didn't want them, and felt they were dangerous dogs. I got my first pit through chance. My ex wife wanted to get rid of a pit that ate her expensive shoes. The dog came into my house, and was such a loving and caring dog that I realized that pits had gotten this reputation from mostly bad owners. Interestingly enough the dog ate a few things, but nothing of mine. Things that were mixed in with my stuff, but belonged to my ex wife. The dog just didn't like my ex. She never ate anything from my girlfriend. Actually even protected my girlfriend from people who came at her.

My best friend has a pit and a Chihuahua. Guess which one is more dominant....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are are illegal to breed, therefore not easily available here in the UK... the rules are;

They must be neutered.
They must be insured.
They must be muzzled and kept on a lead in public.
They must be microchipped.
They must be registered.

So, as they are neutered, they are not legally available from a breeder. So you dont see them here.
Yeah I had heard that. Interesting thing is that banning pit bulls has not reduced the number of dog attacks. Of course I have mine chipped and neutered. 97% of attacks were from non-sterilized pits. Chipped because pits are pushed to the front of the kill line. 2 weeks for most animals. one week for pits. It's sad that misinformation and bad owners has led to rules like those in the UK.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are are illegal to breed, therefore not easily available here in the UK... the rules are;

They must be neutered.
They must be insured.
They must be muzzled and kept on a lead in public.
They must be microchipped.
They must be registered.

So, as they are neutered, they are not legally available from a breeder. So you dont see them here.
Wow, seriously? Do you know how that law came to pass? I'm guessing a high-profile mauling caused politicians to vote for this to get a few reelection votes? Yet another example of the UK gov going to a stupid degree of over-protectiveness, makes me not regret losing my citizenship.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I think people were breeding them for Fighting each other, and a lot of such cases were discovered around the time the Government were bringing in new Legislation regarding "Dangerous Breeds"... Pit Bulls became the scape goat


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Ping
Elementary.
 
Ping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 781
Roleplayer 
Seeing Pit Bulls on The Dog Whisperer has made me treat them like any other dog.


"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
I think people were breeding them for Fighting each other, and a lot of such cases were discovered around the time the Government were bringing in new Legislation regarding "Dangerous Breeds"... Pit Bulls became the scape goat
It is unfortunate, but unfortunately it's the only way of curbing their use as fighting dogs.

I know people who deal with them, and they admit it's upsetting to have to destroy those used for fighting - it's not their fault that their 'owners' (those used for fighting could hardly be called 'pets') have used them for those purposes, but it's the best way of preventing further cruelty.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
....Interestingly enough the dog ate a few things, but nothing of mine. Things that were mixed in with my stuff, but belonged to my ex wife. The dog just didn't like my ex. She never ate anything from my girlfriend. Actually even protected my girlfriend from people who came at her.
Maybe he was trying to tell ya something....


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Maybe he was trying to tell ya something....
LOL I joked that the dog was too smart for my ex. She destroyed anything from my ex wife. When I got a new pit to replace her after my former roommate lost my pit, that pit ate everything from an ex girlfriend. Left the stuff of my current girlfriend alone. It was hilarious to see that she picked up and moved stuff from my current girlfriend to get to the ex girlfriend's stuff and destroy it.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
N-5/Prudii
Rookie
 
N-5/Prudii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mojave Wasteland!
Posts: 220
Current Game: New Vegas
My Pit Bull didn't give me much trouble, Well, I did have a female, though...



Show spoiler
N-5/Prudii is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Interestingly, Hellen Keller owned a pit. Not as a guard or guide dog, but just a pet. Pit bulls are also known as "Nanny Dogs" because of their tendency to watch over and protect children.

NOTE: While pit bulls are not normally aggressive toward children(or people at all in fact), I would not recommend ANY dog be left unattended with children. Children may not recognize when a dog is becoming annoyed at them hitting the dog. Be a responsible dog owner and watch your children around the dog.

Other interesting facts:
Pit Bulls were used in US propaganda during WWI AND WWII to represent the resolve of the American people.
One pit bull, Stubby was awarded a promotion to SGT for his actions in WWI, in which he warned his platoon of a poisoned gas attack. He later became the mascot for Georgetown University.
Pit bulls were specifically bred NOT to be human aggressive.
Pit bulls are used for a variety of purposes. They make great therapy dogs, and have been used as drug dogs, and were used after 9/11 for search and rescue.

edit: Oh and adamqd: IF you are really interested in owning a Staffordshire, There are rescues and you can check the pound as well. Save a dog, don't promote overbreeding.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 08-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
My main aversion to them is that they are butt ugly

I don't mind labradors,but anything else pales to the grace and beauty of pussycat.

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Yeah, not seeing all the fuss about pits. ANY dog with an irresponsible owner can become a mess...

My Dalmation (miss him ) was a 'bite-ier' dog than any breed that I know.. and he was spoiled rotten

But Cats are better by far anyways hehehe


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post

edit: Oh and adamqd: IF you are really interested in owning a Staffordshire, There are rescues and you can check the pound as well. Save a dog, don't promote overbreeding.
Staff's are legal bud, My friend has one, and I have 2 gorgeous Boxers, just Pits and a select few others are illegal over here

edit: Sorry Tommycat, just realized the US classify several breeds as Pit's. I should of said, the UK only Class the American pit bull terrier as said illegal breeding dog



Last edited by adamqd; 08-16-2010 at 02:31 PM.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
deathdisco
Bastards of Young
 
deathdisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Left of the Dial
Posts: 715
Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
My main aversion to them is that they are butt ugly

I don't mind labradors,but anything else pales to the grace and beauty of pussycat.

mtfbwya
I beg to differ.
Show spoiler

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
Ping
Elementary.
 
Ping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brussels
Posts: 781
Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
My main aversion to them is that they are butt ugly

I don't mind labradors,but anything else pales to the grace and beauty of pussycat.

mtfbwya
Meh, I've always liked huskies. They look like wolves!


"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #20
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Staff's are legal bud, My friend has one, and I have 2 gorgeous Boxers, just Pits and a select few others are illegal over here

edit: Sorry Tommycat, just realized the US classify several breeds as Pit's. I should of said, the UK only Class the American pit bull terrier as said illegal breeding dog
Well I guess that's okay... The AKC only recognizes the Staffies. Yes, the US sees 3 breeds as the Pit Bull. American Staffordshires, American Pit Bull Terriers and Staffordshires.

I guess they only dislike the APBT. That's a bit of a shame. as there are many other breeds that are more dangerous. Pits are more dangerous to other dogs. But even at the height of their ownership and when they were used for fighting(not like the death fights you know of today, but when it was more controlled than boxing is), the dogs were still family dogs.

The real shame is that it's the owner's irresponsibility that got the dogs banned. They use the dog to look tough. Sad that the breed that was once a symbol for America, is now banned in much of America(not just the UK).


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 08-16-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past
 
Astrotoy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,284
Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdisco View Post
I beg to differ.

whoa....That looks like a girl I knew from uni!! I would definitely cross the street if I saw that visage

From a looks perspective, my two furballs are perhaps a little more approachable, although Kimba is very unlikely to let you go anywhere near him - its that wild Bengal blood of his He lets me pick him up for a strict 10secs a day



Still, there are scary looking cats out there too...

mtfbwya


Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #22
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Here's my Babies,



adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #23
LordOfTheFish
Senior Member
 
LordOfTheFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 2,724
Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Clearly Miniature Schnauzers are the best breed.

It seems though, that every pit bull that my neighbors get is never taken care of properly or treated right. For example, my next door neighbor adopted a pit bull puppy that was only a few months old. They left it chained up outside all day long. The thing would bark it's head off like some hell-hound everytime I came within a few feet of it.

People who think they are 'gangsters' tend to adopt pit bulls for the 'tough-looking/scary' image and reputation they have. They also misstreat them leading to a wild and mean dog. The facts are against the breed sadly.

With that said, however, the main reason I dislike them if the same reason as Astro, they are hideous!

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #24
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
Clearly Miniature Schnauzers are the best breed.

It seems though, that every pit bull that my neighbors get is never taken care of properly or treated right. For example, my next door neighbor adopted a pit bull puppy that was only a few months old. They left it chained up outside all day long. The thing would bark it's head off like some hell-hound everytime I came within a few feet of it.

People who think they are 'gangsters' tend to adopt pit bulls for the 'tough-looking/scary' image and reputation they have. They also misstreat them leading to a wild and mean dog. The facts are against the breed sadly.

With that said, however, the main reason I dislike them if the same reason as Astro, they are hideous!
Ugh.. that's the problem with pit bulls. Not the dog, but their owners.

"I want a mean dog" so a dog bred to be human friendly, gets made into a human aggressive dog. Then the owner gets bit by their dog and the dog gets put down. Seems to me the wrong one is getting put down.

Sorry, I gotta give the edge to pit bulls over other dogs.


Hmmm I always seem to catch them sleeping


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #25
deathdisco
Bastards of Young
 
deathdisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Left of the Dial
Posts: 715
Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
whoa....That looks like a girl I knew from uni!! I would definitely cross the street if I saw that visage

From a looks perspective, my two furballs are perhaps a little more approachable, although Kimba is very unlikely to let you go anywhere near him - its that wild Bengal blood of his He lets me pick him up for a strict 10secs a day



Still, there are scary looking cats out there too...

mtfbwya
Don't worry Astro we've got kittys too!
Show spoiler


Last edited by deathdisco; 08-20-2010 at 02:52 PM.
deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Okay, not going to drag this into a why Dogs are better than cats debate, because they just are.

but here's another pic of my dog Storm.


This was Cadillac. She died shortly after this.


Of course dogs can be destructive... This is Chevy


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #27
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Pitbulls have a bad reputation because white trash buy them by the truckload.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #28
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221 View Post
Pitbulls have a bad reputation because white trash buy them by the truckload.
How about we leave racism out of this. Unless you want to call Michael Vick white trash. Lets just leave it at stupid people buy them to make themselves look tougher.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #29
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
How about we leave racism out of this. Unless you want to call Michael Vick white trash. Lets just leave it at stupid people buy them to make themselves look tougher.
"White trash" isn't racism, it's a state of being that can be overcome.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #30
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221 View Post
"White trash" isn't racism, it's a state of being that can be overcome.
yea it is, But its ok to be racist to white people , we deserve it carry on good sir.

Nice dogs by the way Tommy


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #31
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221 View Post
Pitbulls have a bad reputation because white trash buy them by the truckload.
Whether "white trash" is a racist term or not, this isn't really accurate. It's the dregs of every race that seem to want pit bulls for their vicious reputation (not in any way an attack on normal, decent, pit bull owners who get them because they're actually good dogs).

Whether you see them mostly in the hands of worthless white people, black people, latin people, or any other race depends solely on which particular brand of trash is more common in your area.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #32
Salzella
areiK
 
Salzella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,135
Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Pit bulls might be the nicest dawg on earth but that doesn't change the fact that they look like flabby, furry arses.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #33
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
Pit bulls might be the nicest dawg on earth but that doesn't change the fact that they look like flabby, furry arses.
I kind of see pit bull's looks as sort of a dog equivalent of "so bad it's good" movies.

Now chinese cresteds, on the other hand, are the equivalent of "so bad it's awful" movies looks-wise (especially Sam, the world renowned ugliest dog ever.)



--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 08-27-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: adding missing parenthense(s?)
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #34
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Sam, yes it is. "White Trash" was used by black house servants during the 1830's to describe poor white servants(whom were actually looked down on by the slaves). The use of that term is equivalent to using the N word to describe blacks. You probably wouldn't like it much if I turned it around and said "Pitbulls have a bad reputation because {n-word} buy them by the truckload."

And quite frankly IF you want to get into it, just singling out the "whites" in your argument is seriously racist. If you don't see it, you never will.

Fact is that the closest you could get to being right with that statement is "Pitbulls have a bad reputation because idiots buy them by the truckload."


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #35
LordOfTheFish
Senior Member
 
LordOfTheFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 2,724
Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Sam, yes it is. "White Trash" was used by black house servants during the 1830's to describe poor white servants(whom were actually looked down on by the slaves). The use of that term is equivalent to using the N word to describe blacks. You probably wouldn't like it much if I turned it around and said "Pitbulls have a bad reputation because {n-word} buy them by the truckload."

And quite frankly IF you want to get into it, just singling out the "whites" in your argument is seriously racist. If you don't see it, you never will.

Fact is that the closest you could get to being right with that statement is "Pitbulls have a bad reputation because idiots buy them by the truckload."
I think a better term is low-class. Regardless of race, Some of times low class people buy these dogs for there reputation of being mean and tough. Often they beat the poor animals, they deprive them of food for various lengths of time only because they are slothful, and they show them absolutely no love. That is what is breeding these beast you here rumors about.

With that said. I have heard before that pit bull have a 'killer instinct' genetically brought down through generations of dogs used in dog fights. I don't know this to be true but it does make some sense.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #36
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
With that said. I have heard before that pit bull have a 'killer instinct' genetically brought down through generations of dogs used in dog fights. I don't know this to be true but it does make some sense.
Kinda. Pit Bulls(well the American Pit Bull Terrier) was selectively bred to have the most dog aggressive tendencies. BUT they had to also selectively breed out the human aggressive tendencies as well, as prior to the match they had to walk the dog through the crowd to increase bidding. Not to mention these dogs also had to live in the house with their families, as pets as well(of course this goes back to when dog fighting was as controlled as boxing is today). Yes Pit bulls have a natural tendency to be aggressive to dogs. But as for people, they are docile. Even one of the pits Vick had which was tearing through the cage and divider to get at another dog, as soon as it was in the hands of a human handler, settled down to the point you wouldn't even know it was a fighter(save for the blood).


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Pit Bulls

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.