lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Red Dead Redemption
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #81
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
As a rider IRL, overall I thought the animations were the best i've seen so far in a video game, but only to a point - the walking and trotting animations are damn-near perfect, but the canter/gallop animations still leave a lot to be desired - both horse and rider seem to bounce around far too much.
Yeah, at a gallop, the ride smooths out a lot. At a trot, you bounce a bit, Though in between the full gallop and trot, the ride is often rough. Not to mention that if you ride horses a lot, you can anticipate the movement a lot better.

I always hated the work involved after riding. We had an ornery horse that liked to bite if you put the blanket up too high, and would yank the thing off if you placed it too low. Cap was his name. tried to buck me off once. Sat on his saddle once. "Stole" his oats outta the truck after figuring out how to open the door(smart horse). Once he got used to me, that was the best dang horse I ever had.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #82
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bart Lasiter View Post
so your initial statement still stands then?
Yes, it does - it turned out that I had reached the end.

So, in all, it's the best game i've played for a while. The story was excellent, and manages to capture the spirit of the mix between The Wild Bunch and the Dollars Trilogy that Rockstar seemed to be going for, and the immersion, characters (I liked Marshal Johnson and Mr. West-Dickens the most), and imagery were great.

I know the game isn't heavy on choice during missions, but I already feel like playing through again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
I always hated the work involved after riding. We had an ornery horse that liked to bite if you put the blanket up too high, and would yank the thing off if you placed it too low. Cap was his name. tried to buck me off once. Sat on his saddle once. "Stole" his oats outta the truck after figuring out how to open the door(smart horse). Once he got used to me, that was the best dang horse I ever had.
Sounds like it was worth all the work with him. I just wish I could afford to own and keep one myself, rather than borrow my friends all the time.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #83
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Sounds like it was worth all the work with him. I just wish I could afford to own and keep one myself, rather than borrow my friends all the time.
Well the keeping is the expensive part. Stables, feed, VET BILLS(ugh!) FAR outweigh the costs of purchasing. Though, the reward is a friend. Having worked on several cattle farms that horse was invaluable. Especially chasing down strays. Incidentally, it's also very good for tracking people. The higher position makes it easier to notice changes in patterns you might otherwise have missed. And when you get a horse that responds well enough to you like Cap was, you can easily work cattle better than with the truck. But cleaning and brushing, and post-ride care are essential. It's just a lot of dang work to take care of a horse.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #84
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I played a few hours Sunday and after finishing the tutorial the game does become a pleasure to play. So far I’ve just wandered around hunting and collecting bounties while trying to get a feel for the environment. Only real annoyance came when running from a band of outlaws, after killing a member of their gang for the bounty, I tried to swim across a river on the horse and promptly drowned. I guess that is what you get when you have city folk make a game about the old-west.

Also did not like the option to skin a horse.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #85
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I tried to swim across a river on the horse and promptly drowned. I guess that is what you get when you have city folk make a game about the old-west.
The lack of swimming did annoy me, even though there's no need for it in the game story wise. Even though there's not much water in the game (after Lake Don Julio and the Mexican Border) it would be nice if you and your steed could both survive.

There is one place where you can cross, between West Elizabeth and New Austin, but it's a very narrow spot.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #86
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
So I finished the story and am in the process of getting the last few things for the 100%. For the most part it was pretty good. The aiming and cover mechanics, while still a bit ropey, are an improvement over GTA4. The story was enjoyable. As far as the ending goes (massive spoilers obviously)
spoiler:
I was initially surprised at him biting the bullet, so to speak. I had figured on his wife and son getting slaughtered and then the last mission being him going for revenge against the FBI guys. But I guess that would just be a rehash of GTA4's end. The end they went with was pretty logical and I probably should have seen it coming. I was expecting a showdown - just not that outcome. I wondered briefly what they were going to do to pull off the endless free roam after that. A nice touch to go with a grown-up Jack. It's strange they only made the final mission a Stranger mission though. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people miss that altogether and never see the credits roll.
One thing that annoyed the hell out of me was all the psychotic predators. Freaking cougars are the worst. I lost 3 horses to them, including the palomino you get early on that I went through 2/3 of the missions with.

Quote:
The lack of swimming did annoy me
The point of no swimming is to provide barriers between the three areas before they are unlocked, in the classic GTA style of plot progression.
DarthParametric is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #87
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Man, cougars are such *******s.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #88
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I am bitterly disappointed I didn't get this -

View page
YouTube Video

Scuttlebutt would suggest it's PS3 exclusive content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
Man, cougars are such *******s.
Indeed. Especially this one -

View page
YouTube Video
Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #89
Rogue Nine
*static*

Trying to knife a lunging cougar to death is insane, almost as insane as trying to knife a charging bear to death. This game certainly puts hair on your chest, gorramn.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #90
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
There's a fairly cheap way to knife-fight bears, as you need to do for one of the hunting challenges (and I imagine the exact same trick works for cougars as well). If you go up to the lake in Tall Trees and wait inside the cabin, you'll almost certainly see at some point one of those "random" world events where some poor SOB is being chased by a bear. This has happened for me pretty much every single time I've been up there and waited a couple of minutes. The thing with those events (and you get them elsewhere with wolves and cougars) is that the animals will not aggro on you - they will stay chasing the guy. So shoot and kill any spares (I saw him being chased by 2 once) and then wound the target bear with a rifle to get its HP down (I shot mine once in the leg with the buffalo rifle), as you only need the killing blow to be with a knife. Chase after it and lasso it to "stun" it momentarily, quickly switch to the knife and slash it. You'll only get one swipe before it runs off again, so rinse and repeat until it is dead. As a bonus, you'll also get a reward for helping the guy.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #91
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
When I did the knife cougar challenge, I just shot it in the leg to make it run away and then knifed it while riding my horse... yes you can reach it with a knife while riding a horse.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #92
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The cougar one isn't too bad - just have a full supply of medicine and save beforehand in case you get "double tapped" or jumped by a second one lurking nearby.

The bear one annoyed the hell out of me. When I managed it the first time all fair and square like (by a combination of circle strafing and running away like a little girl), the game didn't recognise it. I had died a bunch of times trying (pro tip: don't take on two bears at once with a knife), so I gave up and did some other things for a while. Then I stumbled upon the cheap method I posted above quite unintentionally.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #93
True_Avery
Banned

Use the lasso on the bear/cougar. It stuns them for a moment and lets you get some good hits in, then just use the melee dodge until you have another chance with the lasso and knife again. Rinse and repeat and you'll have a dead bear.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #94
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I wish the game had a cheat that lets you acquire the DeLorean from Back to the Future Part III, would be rad as ****

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #95
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Have any of you cowboys encountered the character voiced by Wil Wheaton yet?

I really liked the review of this they did on the geek syndicate podcast - and look forward to trying it out when I get a PS3...unless a PC version came out which was originally planned.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #96
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I want this game SOOOOOOO bad.....
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #97
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Have any of you cowboys encountered the character voiced by Wil Wheaton yet?
No, do you know which character he is? I knew he was in it from his Twitter, and I was listening out for him.

Quote:
I really liked the review of this they did on the geek syndicate podcast
Oh, another Geek Syndicate listener, cool.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #98
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
do you know which character he is?
Presumably nobody of any consequence, as I can't see him listed anywhere. If I had to guess, I'd say it could be one (or several) of the random guys that challenge you to duels.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #99
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
I wish the game had a cheat that lets you acquire the DeLorean from Back to the Future Part III, would be rad as ****
or the flying locomotive from the same film

I haven't encountered the will wheaton character myself either, but now that I know he's out there I'll be listening a little better as I roam New Austin.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #100
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

wtf is a "Will Wheaton" and why should I care?

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #101
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
wtf is a "Wil Wheaton" and why should I care?
You've never watched Star Trek Next Gen? You wacky youngsters and your prequel trilogy and Abrams Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxy
No, do you know which character he is? I knew he was in it from his Twitter, and I was listening out for him.
Actually, just yesterday he tweeted that he heard himself hawking newspapers in the game.

Quote:
Oh, another Geek Syndicate listener, cool
Yeah, I have been listening to them for a while. A couple of those chaps seem to have the same accent as you Lexxy - same part of London?

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #102
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
You've never watched Star Trek Next Gen? You wacky youngsters and your prequel trilogy and Abrams Trek :thmbup1
I've never watched any of the Trek, haven't been called young in a while though, so that's cool.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #103
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
I've never watched any of the Trek..
Really??! You must check out Next Gen. What other show has an android, Stephen Hawking(as himself), Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton playing poker together ?

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-11-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #104
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
wtf is a "Will Wheaton" and why should I care?
Ever seen Stand By Me? If you haven't, then you should.

He grew into SuperGeek™, BTW.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #105
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Dunno if this has been noticed before on this thread: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...ed-dead/101028

This is a 29 minute short film.

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #106
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Payne View Post
Dunno if this has been noticed before on this thread: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...ed-dead/101028

This is a 29 minute short film.
It was broadcast on Five USA here in the UK a few weeks ago.

I don't know if it's becuase I'd already played the game, but I thought it was awful - it's just a load of mission cutscenes spliced together. That aside, I didn't think it made much sense.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #107
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
someone in europe who has this on ps3 help me out here. all over the internet i see forum threads saying "The Hunting and Trading Outfits Pack" was released in europe on september 1st when the PSStore got updated. This isn't shown on my playstationstore..just the legends and killers pack and the outlaws to the end..anyone know why?

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #108
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Anyone getting the Undead DLC? I'm completely undecided. On the one hand I think it would be great fun and I'd love to go back to the game for more, but on the other hand I feel it will spoil my previous experience. What do you think?

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #109
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Zombies should stick to RE and L4D.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #110
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Or Nazis.

Can't forget them.

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #111
CommanderQ
I should go.

Current Game: Mass Effect
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
There's just something about killing zombies that makes it so essential to adding on to...just about anything And Nazis too, along with Nazi Zombies.

you very much
If a tree would fall in the woods.....would the other trees laugh at it?
CommanderQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2010, 05:15 AM   #112
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Meh.

I really don't understand this obsession with trying to shoe-horn Zombies into things.

I may still get it, but not if I have to be constantly connected to Live for something that's purporting to be single-player DLC.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #113
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
I really don't understand this obsession with trying to shoe-horn Zombies into things.
QFT. One of the things I liked about RDR was it's realism and amazing john marston story in the wild west. It did a great western time justice, sorta liike how the AC games with those time periods. Adding zombies into it, makes the original story seem worthless, makes the game unrealistic and turns it into a supernatural game.

If I DO get it, im getting the retail Undead Nightmare version. I haven't bought ANY DLC and it costs half what the original limited edition game cost me. so, win win

Old 10-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #114
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm not really digging any of the DLC Rockstar has released for this game. I loved the single player story, but imo Rockstar has done nothing to expound on it.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #115
Rogue Nine
*static*

To be fair not much can be done to expound the single player experience short of
spoiler:
a short little vignette of what Jack did after getting revenge, maybe going back to Bonnie and settling down with her.
Anything beyond that would be better suited for a sequel.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #116
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

If they can top the story of RDR in a sequel, without making it too grand theft auto-ish, ill be surprised. The story of john marston is an epic one, and difficult to top

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Red Dead Redemption