lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucas: I'm doing Star Wars in 3d OMGROFL!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #81
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 

Agreed.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #82
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
*shakes fist* damn you, niner!

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #83
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Man if I had £1 for every time someone posted that pic, I'd be doing serious non-internet business

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #84
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Posted this in The Swamp, but it deserves a repeat

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #85
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
You're not beating it hard enough

Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #86
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Calls SPCA on ChAiNz.2da.

mimartin is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #87
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Posted this in The Swamp, but it deserves a repeat

So you're saying Star Wars is dead? In a horse-like way?
Never understood that saying....

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #88
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Beating a dead horse .gif

EDIT: didn't realize someone had already beaten me to it ah well...

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #89
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
So you're saying Star Wars is dead? In a horse-like way?
Never understood that saying....
Well, dead only if rehash something is mortal, heh. It means that something about a certain issue has been done so many times before it's useless. I guess that it means just another gimmick to sell more of the same under a different guise.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #90
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Personally while I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, at some point this old coat needs to be hung up and the towel thrown in or it'll lose its dignity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
*brevity*
I agree it is not necessarily a waste of time in and of itself. Also I'm not 100% sure SW needs this kind of treatment here, but would very much like to see a few new games of that sort utilize this.

Besides, sometimes when I watch in 3D, I need a break because I tend to get eye str--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Depending on the person, the 3D effect is a pretty big strain on your eyes and the FACT is that quite a lot of people will start to get eye strain by the end of the movie, and there are warnings that come with 3D TVs that tell you this... so don't go thinking you can pull off a 3D Star Wars marathon
Nevermind.

Quote:
What Blu-ray (and other HD media formats) has done is allowed movies to be viewed in (relatively) as close to as it would come watching the actual master copy of a movie itself. It also does away with those ye olden video and colour standards NTSC, PAL, SECAM and all that crap.
While true, unfortunately low-end filming as present is still going to take awhile to catch up from that era. As I am learning presently in my videography class. Though it has come quite a ways since even just 10 years ago. Guess even the low end reaches a point of cutoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Wait, you mean you don't consider Blu-Ray to be a gimmick? How... fascinating.
Hm, a reader laser of a higher frequency than red to infrared, carrying more data per microsecond, allowing fuller and more vibrant definition of the classic movies and such you already enjoy. No, I'd just call it an improvement of existing disc technology.

I think most cynics just simply want to see Star Wars viewed looking back from the future, with a measure of dignity while most proponents just want to enjoy it again but in a fuller manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
you people smell of cynicism...
Aw. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
The reason I refer to Blu-Ray/HD as a "gimmick" is that the technology itself is hardly that much superior to DVD/SD quality on most standard screens;
Well, if it makes you feel any better, when the blu-ray machine finally breaks you can take the laser diode out of it and make yourself an indigo beam laser pointer out of it.
Quote:
and I don't know about the other ~20 year old students around here, but I don't have $3000+ lying around to shell out for an HD television, nor the extra disposable income to throw away on the Blu-Ray discs <brevity snip>
I do agree it is somewhere around pointless to shell out extra moneys. Still, it's a matter of preference. If they want to spend the money that's their prerogative. Look on the bright side: lower demand for a cheaper alternative means more for us to enjoy!

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #91
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ GTA: What do you mean it's going to take a long time for "low-end" films to catch up? You can take 1080p @ 24fps video with home video cameras nowadays and edit it all together on a moderately powerful PC very easily.

Since people are able to create master copies in 1080p, digitally capture them in an uncompressed format and then edit them on their PCs, there really is no limit to what people can do with film nowadays. The only thing they really need is time and effort to do it...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 AM   #92
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

I mean it's going to take a long time (relatively speaking of course) before blu-ray is the average standard and not the higher end, though I do agree it's much easier than having to deal with PAL, NTSC and all those other formats. Granted yes it's only a minor inconvenience, but still just kind of frustrating.

It's been rather a pain jumping from 1997 to 2009 cameras.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #93
Visas
Rookie

I don't see the point in 3D.

Visas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #94
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

It's 1D more than 2D... duh.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #95
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visas View Post
This is one of the best puns I've heard ever.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #96
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visas View Post
The only reason why people like it now is because it's a novelty. I shouldn't like to predict the future but I imagine that its presence will be somewhat diminished given a few years.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #97
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
The only reason why people like it now is because it's a novelty. I shouldn't like to predict the future but I imagine that its presence will be somewhat diminished given a few years.
Hard to say. You already have the 3DS and 3D phones. Wouldn't be surprised if 3D becomes the UI standard for handheld devices in the future. As for the bigger screen - while one guy who's seen 3D once may not be impressed by it later, there will always be more and more people who haven't seen 3D before and want to see now (which is the principle reason why this 3D fad keeps reappearing every other decade).

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #98
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
I think that is selling it a bit short, IMO. Part of the problem is that sometimes it is done very well (Avatar), or poorly as an afterthought (Clash of the Titans).

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #99
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I think that is selling it a bit short, IMO. Part of the problem is that sometimes it is done very well (Avatar), or poorly as an afterthought (Clash of the Titans).
Or it's just awesome.
Watch Jackass 3D. Do it now!
3D - Poo Cocktail Bungee Porto Potty.

I don't see why some of the 'older' folk around here see this as a problem.
It means our beloved franchise will be re-released with new effects. The acting performances stay the same. No canon is raped. The action scenes will just be pumped up to an awesome level.
Plus, a new generation of kids is raised with the original trilogy.

It'll be better then al those "ANNIKON PWNED OBI-WON. ASOKKA IS HWAT" fanboys the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars multi-media madness has created.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #100
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
I don't see why some of the 'older' folk around here see this as a problem.
in my case, my old eyes can't see 3D films. I'm one of the few percentages of people that the 3D tech doesn't work. Well, other than triggering my migraines

Other than that, imo, the 3D is gimmicky. It's fine for films that were developed for it (again Avatar).. but rehashing old films "just for the sake of 3D" is a pure & simple cash-in. imo of course.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #101
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
in my case, my old eyes can't see 3D films. I'm one of the few percentages of people that the 3D tech doesn't work. Well, other than triggering my migraines

Other than that, imo, the 3D is gimmicky. It's fine for films that were developed for it (again Avatar).. but rehashing old films "just for the sake of 3D" is a pure & simple cash-in. imo of course.
Of course, agreed.
Lucas probably couldn't afford to buy his own country yet, it reeks of shameless franchise milking. But after seeing a 3D movie myself, I (perhaps wrongfully) hope ILM can make something decent out of it. ILM is still the best there is and most 'bad' 3D movies didn't have ILM supporting them.

Question though, does the Nintendo 3DS technique do work for you? I heard about the headaches, but never about it not working at all.

Last edited by Ztalker; 11-05-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Land = country..pff. Focus. FOCUS!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #102
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
It'll be better then al those "ANNIKON PWNED OBI-WON. ASOKKA IS HWAT" fanboys the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars multi-media madness has created.
I'm quite sure that if you watched the trilogies again you would see that Obi-Wan pwned Anakin in the PT and Anakin pwned Obi-Wan in the OT, not the other way around.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #103
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Obi pwned anakin because anakin was an emo idiot...and and Obi-Wan is still a pseudo jesus christ wannabee.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #104
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
I'm quite sure that if you watched the trilogies again you would see that Obi-Wan pwned Anakin in the PT and Anakin pwned Obi-Wan in the OT, not the other way around.
Take a nice little trip over theforce.net forums and read the highly eloquent prose archived there, bring an alcoholic beverage to dull your mind a bit so you may enjoy the humor behind sperg without wondering why you would ever read it in the first place.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #105
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Question though, does the Nintendo 3DS technique do work for you? I heard about the headaches, but never about it not working at all.
Honestly don't know, I haven't tried.. or rather, don't feel like risking it.

My migraines are the "shut out the world, kill any hint of light/sound and for goodness sake don't move your head or you'll be projectile vomiting all day long" kind. Real cripplers

As for it not working, it only affects around 10% of the population, but I've had gimped eyes ever since I can remember.. hehehe. I've been told it's correctable, but I'm not really keen on seeking treatment just to spend more money on expensive toys

Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #106
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Lucas needs to give up.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #107
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
In order for 3D to work, both eyes have to be pointed in the same spot at the same time, and both eyes have to have good vision. People with a turned eye (turned in or out), or with lazy eye (amblyopia), or with only 1 eye (lost due to injury, disease, or birth defect) can't see the 3D effect that the rest of us 90% can.

Even people who have had surgery to correct a turned eye often don't ever have good 3D vision if they ever have it at all. The brain pathways that allow us to process stereopsis (the fancy term for depth perception) are laid down before age 2. If you miss that window of brain development, it's very hard to develop anything greater than very rudimentary depth perception/3D vision after that time.

/Jae's visual processing lesson for the day

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #108
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
I didn't know you could do ops for amblyopic adults, I thought it was something that could only be rectified as a child...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Lucas: I'm doing Star Wars in 3d OMGROFL!