lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Because Digital is Obsolete
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #41
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Current Game: BF3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
What I don't understand is how does this upsets people? Why do you think he releases and re-releases the movies (now in 3D)? Because people want it, and are willing to pay for it. Is he to blame? It's as I said before, why do people complaint about George milking the cash cow if people like it's milk? People have different tastes, all we have to do is to deal with it.

People have a problem with it because it often results in him creating new things of poor quality or reducing the quality of existing things, in order to maximize profit on potential toy and paraphernalia sales.

In fact, his obsession with toy sales is one of the primary reasons the movies started decreasing in quality after ESB (although I personally loved RotJ). He found he was making more money on toys than the movies, and decided to focus on movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys, rather than a solid story. This was the problem with the PT and all this Clone Wars nonsense. Low-quality goods.

As someone above commented - it's about diminishing returns as well.

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #42
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-0927 View Post
People have a problem with it because it often results in him creating new things of poor quality or reducing the quality of existing things, in order to maximize profit on potential toy and paraphernalia sales.
Are you saying that a movie with a good story doesn't sell as much toys as a movie with a poor story? And who defines quality?

Quote:
In fact, his obsession with toy sales is one of the primary reasons the movies started decreasing in quality after ESB (although I personally loved RotJ). He found he was making more money on toys than the movies, and decided to focus on movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys, rather than a solid story.
No. "movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys" can be applied to any Star Wars movie. That's not a good excuse. The story of the prequels could never have the same feeling as the OT, no matter how good it was done. The story hasn't the same formula, since it's not about a hero and his companions (story that brings a closer proximity to the audience).

Quote:
This was the problem with the PT and all this Clone Wars nonsense. Low-quality goods.
Low-quality is subjective. The OT is not without it's faults, and the PT has it's virtues. As for the "Clone Wars nonsense", have you seen the series at all? How much they've progressed ever since the theatrical movie?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #43
Kjølen
Resident Polak

Current Game: Monkey Island
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I'm going to repeat myself. The Mandalorians have been made... PACIFISTS.

"Kjølen is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kjølen

* Ye Olde Harbour * Aresen *
Kjølen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #44
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjølen View Post
During a certain period. So what?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #45
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Quote:
Are you saying that a movie with a good story doesn't sell as much toys as a movie with a poor story? And who defines quality?

Not necessarily, but a focus on toy-production will always help. Read up on Gary Kurtz's comments on all this. It brings an interesting perspective. George Lucas made it a profit-loss situation more than anything, which is deeply saddening.

Quality is defined by, for SW, the classic SW fans, who loved SW before the PT, IMO. It's subjective, but there is objectivity in it as well. OT definitely trumped PT in quality of story and character connection.

Quote:
No. "movies with easily-exploitable characters/vehicles for toys" can be applied to any Star Wars movie. That's not a good excuse. The story of the prequels could never have the same feeling as the OT, no matter how good it was done. The story hasn't the same formula, since it's not about a hero and his companions (story that brings a closer proximity to the audience).

I again point to Gary Kurtz. And saying that the PT "could never have the same feeling as the OT" is REALLY a what-if scenario - no one can adequately discern this. Your statement is unnecessarily definitive.

Quote:
Low-quality is subjective. The OT is not without it's faults, and the PT has it's virtues. As for the "Clone Wars nonsense", have you seen the series at all? How much they've progressed ever since the theatrical movie?

No one said the OT was superior in every regard. I certainly don't think so. But overall, it is. As for CW stuff - I LOVED the cartoons, which were NOT directed by Lucas (thank God). The CG movie was an embarrassment to SW fans everywhere. I've heard the new CG shows are pretty decent, and do intend to watch them. But this isn't where it stops - the milking of CW nonsense has permeated video games to a sickening degree - LucasArts is basically one of the ****tiest gaming companies around, which has been exacerbated by the horrid CW-themed games (SWRC is an exception to this). And the EU books dealing with the CW tend to pale in comparison to other-era EU books.

Quote:

To be fair that's only a sect of Mandalorians. That being said, I bet a lot of people won't get that.

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #46
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
but there is objectivity in it as well. OT definitely trumped PT in quality of story and character connection.
Character connection, yes. As for story, they are too different. But the question remains. Just because the OT has more quality (whatever that means) than the PT, does it mean the PT has no quality?

Quote:
No one said the OT was superior in every regard. I certainly don't think so. But overall, it is. As for CW stuff - I LOVED the cartoons, which were NOT directed by Lucas (thank God). The CG movie was an embarrassment to SW fans everywhere. I've heard the new CG shows are pretty decent, and do intend to watch them. But this isn't where it stops - the milking of CW nonsense has permeated video games to a sickening degree - LucasArts is basically one of the ****tiest gaming companies around, which has been exacerbated by the horrid CW-themed games (SWRC is an exception to this).
I'm not sure how the theme of a game is the problem. There has been what lately? Three Clone Wars themed games? One of them was fairly well received. The other two, not so much. Then there was TFU which was fairly well received too, and TFUII, which was what everyone can see. The problem is quality control. Be it a Clone Wars game, or the next Jedi Knight.

Quote:
To be fair that's only a sect of Mandalorians. That being said, I bet a lot of people won't get that.
Yes, forgot to say that. The pacifist is just one of the factions.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #47
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Quote:
Just because the OT has more quality (whatever that means) than the PT, does it mean the PT has no quality?

Never said they had NO quality. Just reduced quality.

Quote:
I'm not sure how the theme of a game is the problem. There has been what lately? Three Clone Wars themed games? One of them was fairly well received. The other two, not so much. Then there was TFU which was fairly well received too, and TFUII, which was what everyone can see. The problem is quality control. Be it a Clone Wars game, or the next Jedi Knight.

Well, to be honest the theme of the game matters because it drives the story - and as we've already discussed here, most "classic" SW fans tend to take OT-related stuff as better in story (including myself). Quality control is indeed an issue.

- PR-0927

Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #48
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Well, to be honest the theme of the game matters because it drives the story
A story can be good or bad, no matter the timeline. And I bet the EU has proven this.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #49
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper

Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 

BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #50
Kjølen
Resident Polak

Quote:
=To be fair that's only a sect of Mandalorians. That being said, I bet a lot of people won't get that.
Yeah but weren't they like the main sect that's supposed to have won out? Besides, Mandalorians are not pacifists, period. They're not a race of people, they're an ideal. Mandalorians were supposed to be the best of the best trained warriors. They embraced war and tempered their very beings in battle. To call the pacifists Mandalorians is like calling someone who doesn't believe in the Force a Jedi. Or a Sith Lord who doesn't use the dark side.

"Kjølen is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kjølen

Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #51
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Yeah but weren't they like the main sect that's supposed to have won out?
Wasn't the Death Watch that came out victorious?

Quote:
Besides, Mandalorians are not pacifists, period. They're not a race of people, they're an ideal. Mandalorians were supposed to be the best of the best trained warriors. They embraced war and tempered their very beings in battle. To call the pacifists Mandalorians is like calling someone who doesn't believe in the Force a Jedi. Or a Sith Lord who doesn't use the dark side.
The Death Watch in the series address the same concern, as such there is still another point of view about them.

This article on Wookiepedia explains how this happened, and I find this concern very valid.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #52
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
If it makes Karen Traviss and her little retards cry it's for the best.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #53
Kjølen
Resident Polak

Karen Traviss didn't make the Mandalorians. In fact, she dumbed them down almost as much as The Clone Wars did.

The example of Canderous Ordo is the only Mandalorian paradigm I need.

―Kjølen

Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #54
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:

- PR-0927
If what I've seen is any indication, hardly anyone gets it. At least anyone who has read the Republic Commando books.

But, as others have pointed out, the fault here mostly lies with Traviss and her turning them into something they were never supposed to be in the first place. After all, she did her best to turn them into cuddly, noble space warriors with hearts of gold.

All the Clone Wars did was take it a step further and remove the 'warrior' bit.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > Because Digital is Obsolete