lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Would you rather be a SITH or a JEDI?!?!?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I want to be Wedge
I'm a Wedge (my lastname is )

Although if I was in Starwars would I be Wedge Wedge?

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #42
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Wedgie for short.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #43
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
That was my nickname in middle school, then it changed to just Wedge.

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #44
Allronix
Forumite

How about "to hell with them both." Is "to hell with them both" an option?!

Right now, one of the reasons I'm really stuck when it comes to writing anything for the GFFA is because that kriffing witch Traya had a point. So did that borderline alcoholic and chronic gambler Mr. Rand.

Both of them are men and women who have too much power, no checks on that power, want to destroy the other faction completely (by conversion or death), and turn the galaxy into a blood-soaked battleground over and over again, fighting the same oversized gang war for 25,000+ years while solving absolutely nothing and killing untold trillions in the crossfire.

The Force gives them the ability to do incredible and awesome things, but look what it does to the people who use it.

* If you're Jedi, then those who can't feel the Force are sheep to tend. If you're Sith, they're sheep to slaughter...but everyone else is still sheep.

* If you're Jedi, you're cut off from your family, told not to make friends, punished for making connections with other people, and exiled if you have a child, spouse, etc. The Order is Mother. The Order is Father. The Order are your friends; trust the Jedi Order.

* If you're Sith, you're either tested by having to kill your loved ones...or you go so bat guano crazy on the Dark Side that you kill them impulsively. Either way, the jealous Force wants no competing passions, no conflicting loyalties, nothing that could possibly get between a addict and their drug...er, a Adept and the Force.

* If you're Jedi, you're told to make yourself dead inside. There is no emotion...there is no passion..."don't grieve for those lost. If you have the perfect little detachment, you shouldn't care if they die, you should celebrate it because they're part of the Force" (aka "the only thing that matters").

* If you're a Sith, the only thing you're allowed to feel is rage, anger, pain, and power-lust. Lovely...

* If you're a Jedi, you're taken away from your family at infancy or early childhood by some jackass with a lightsaber, shut up in an Enclave for 12 years until someone either deigns to train you or you're thrown out like trash (Mical), or shoved into a dead-end job in the Service Corps. If you're one of the "lucky" ones that gets trained, expect to die horribly (but doing some small good in a rather uncaring universe).

* If you're Sith, you're at least recruited at the age of consent for what is inevitably a short and brutish life, but great for making everyone else in your path hurt just as badly as you do.

And if you're an ordinary citizen and the lightsabers show up, bend over and kiss your shebs goodbye because you're just so much collateral damage. The Jedi will at least feel bad when you end up dead.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!

Last edited by Allronix; 02-11-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #45
Darth Avlectus
Any other dumb remarks?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
How about "to hell with them both." Is "to hell with them both" an option?!
I swear sometimes I almost forget about our differences when you talk like this.

Quote:
Right now, one of the reasons I'm really stuck when it comes to writing anything for the GFFA is because that kriffing witch Traya had a point. So did that borderline alcoholic and chronic gambler Mr. Rand.
Oh face it, you drove your blade through her when you had to. I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near as fond of Atton either.

Quote:
Both of them are men and women who have too much power, no checks on that power, want to destroy the other faction completely (by conversion or death), and turn the galaxy into a blood-soaked battleground over and over again, fighting the same oversized gang war for 25,000+ years while solving absolutely nothing and killing untold trillions in the crossfire.
Eh? I thought the great schism wasn't until 20,000 years after the initial forming of the JO and the republic... Then again when you take into consideration that force wielding darksiders whom inspired the sith came from tython as did the jedi...I suppose you have a point albeit a minor technical inaccuracy.

Quote:
The Force gives them the ability to do incredible and awesome things, but look what it does to the people who use it.

* If you're Jedi, then those who can't feel the Force are sheep to tend. If you're Sith, they're sheep to slaughter...but everyone else is still sheep.

* If you're Jedi, you're cut off from your family, told not to make friends, punished for making connections with other people, and exiled if you have a child, spouse, etc. The Order is Mother. The Order is Father. The Order are your friends; trust the Jedi Order.

* If you're Sith, you're either tested by having to kill your loved ones...or you go so bat guano crazy on the Dark Side that you kill them impulsively. Either way, the jealous Force wants no competing passions, no conflicting loyalties, nothing that could possibly get between a addict and their drug...er, a Adept and the Force.

* If you're Jedi, you're told to make yourself dead inside. There is no emotion...there is no passion..."don't grieve for those lost. If you have the perfect little detachment, you shouldn't care if they die, you should celebrate it because they're part of the Force" (aka "the only thing that matters").

* If you're a Sith, the only thing you're allowed to feel is rage, anger, pain, and power-lust. Lovely...

* If you're a Jedi, you're taken away from your family at infancy or early childhood by some jackass with a lightsaber, shut up in an Enclave for 12 years until someone either deigns to train you or you're thrown out like trash (Mical), or shoved into a dead-end job in the Service Corps. If you're one of the "lucky" ones that gets trained, expect to die horribly (but doing some small good in a rather uncaring universe).

* If you're Sith, you're at least recruited at the age of consent for what is inevitably a short and brutish life, but great for making everyone else in your path hurt just as badly as you do.
Well think of it this way, the TOR comics showed that even most people with lightsabers at that point, important or pion, are little to nothing without their lightsabers and powers.

Everyone appreciates a little charm.

Quote:
And if you're an ordinary citizen and the lightsabers show up, bend over and kiss your shebs goodbye because you're just so much collateral damage. The Jedi will at least feel bad when you end up dead.
OR have a ton of expendable resources and survival skills so you can last maybe a little longer in untamed space should you happen to survive the encounter.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #46
Allronix
Forumite

My opinion of Atton was "You're clearly insane, high, or both. You've crashed my ship three times, and you're barely able to hold a conversation that doesn't involve gambling or booze. Here's two-hundred credits. Get wasted, find a Twi'lek hooker, and forget you ever saw me." (My DSM Exile, however, is actually pretty fond of him, since they're rather similar in mentality.) My thought on Kreia was that she left her Gom Jabbar and Box of Pain in her other robes.

While I think Kreia, Atton, and Vrook can take a long walk out the short airlock (and use G0-T0 as a volleyball on the way), that doesn't mean they don't occasionally come up with scathingly good points. It's kinda like watching Fox News. 90% of what's said is repulsive, but that 10% hits dead on.

But yeah, I'm lumping the Legions of Lettow and the Schism in with the Sith because it's "same crap, different name." they just happened to like the style of this near-human species out in the middle of galactic nowhere, so they took the name and kept it.

Either way, the Lightsiders want the Darksiders dead or converted. The Darksiders want the Lightsiders dead or converted. The names change, but the rest of the galaxy still gets a lightsaber up the shebs either way.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #47
Darth Avlectus
Any other dumb remarks?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
My opinion of Atton was "You're clearly insane, high, or both. You've crashed my ship three times, and you're barely able to hold a conversation that doesn't involve gambling or booze. Here's two-hundred credits. Get wasted, find a Twi'lek hooker, and forget you ever saw me." (My DSM Exile, however, is actually pretty fond of him, since they're rather similar in mentality.)
Ah, viewed positively only when leaning farthest away from redeeming one another or one's own redemption. A certain un-fondness all too similar to the mean old scow.

Quote:
My thought on Kreia was that she left her Gom Jabbar and Box of Pain in her other robes.
Which she could have carried with her practically that whole time. Incidentally some people saw it first but were shunned for their scoundrel-like ways which speaks for itself.

Quote:
While I think Kreia, Atton, and Vrook can take a long walk out the short airlock (and use G0-T0 as a volleyball on the way), that doesn't mean they don't occasionally come up with scathingly good points. It's kinda like watching Fox News. 90% of what's said is repulsive, but that 10% hits dead on.
Touche, and likewise to those on the opposite side, especially to those with a constant axe to grind.

Ah but you do have if ever so slightly a favor towards the light side. And why not? Mikey did spark a little interest there, but alas you've caused enough havoc in the galaxy; now its new jedi order needs its new leader so you ultimately could not bring yourself to soil such satin purity of the only one who actually remained true to the order by the way he lived. Bittersweet or just plain bitter?

The Echani and the Miraluka may hate each other, but damn if they ever wavered in their support. And even Atris never said die without first saying love.

Quote:
But yeah, I'm lumping the Legions of Lettow and the Schism in with the Sith because it's "same crap, different name." they just happened to like the style of this near-human species out in the middle of galactic nowhere, so they took the name and kept it.
We musn't forget there are also those amongst the other side who actually would mean well were they only shown how. Unless we are more like that old witch than we thought.

Quote:
Either way, the Lightsiders want the Darksiders dead or converted. The Darksiders want the Lightsiders dead or converted. The names change, but the rest of the galaxy still gets a lightsaber up the shebs either way.
Well, but you did acknowledge that the patriotic and militant brutes of the republic did have a lick of compassion. And besides, Even force sensitive need a little hand once in a while.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #48
Adavardes

I'd have to say that I'd be on the fence, and go with a gray Jedi, leaning a little more towards the light, a la Jolee Bindo. As with most philosophies, on a personal level, both the Sith and Jedi mentality have some truths to them. Strength is invaluable to survival, and compassion is important for a maintenance of personal integrity. You don't want to be a doormat, and you want to assert personal vindications and rights, yet the greater good, and making a lasting, positive impact on history, should be a focal point for everything you do.

The problem with Sith and Jedi factions, which is again a trend seen in most real life philosophies, is that a large number of organised followers leads to corruption and twisted forms of the original message. The Jedi Order focuses far too much on restraint and servitude, which will only lead to outbreaks of rebellion, because no being of emotion can withstand a constant repression like that. And emotion is only natural, but not when taken to an extreme. The powers of the dark side aren't inherently dark, but, when used in excess, they dominate and twist the psyche of the user. It's much like emotional eating, but in a far more dangerous context. The Sith desires to kill, enslave, and conquer are driven by this excessive use, and are wrong for obvious reasons.

The Force, in the Star Wars universe, is the primary impetus for change in the galaxy. It connects all life together, so life cannot exist without it, save for special cases like the Exile or the Yuuzan Vong. There will always be Force sensitives, and they will always discover and try to use their powers. Better to give them some sort a philosophy than to let them wreak havoc by using untrained Force abilities. That doesn't mean that they should be sent to the Jedi or the Sith; instead, they should be taught a balance of individual philosophy that gives them a strong sense of purpose and identity. If the Force is a sentient entity, then it's pretty evident that it doesn't give a damn for light or dark, so it's better to think of the Force as an energy to be harnessed. Direction, then, must come from the user.

Rigidly structured lines of contention are the main reasons the Sith and Jedi became such bitter enemies. If they just married the best of their traits together, it might be a different story.

It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built.

Last edited by Adavardes; 02-12-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Adavardes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #49
Allronix
Forumite

The Dark Side does have the disadvantage of making most of its users act like they're high on PCP and/or crack cocaine. Does about as well for their physical health and life-span, too.

The Light Siders? The average Jedi? Sure, let them crash on your sofa and drink your last beer. Good folks, trying to make the universe a better place on their way out than when they came in. It's true that I really do like Mical. He doesn't just talk a good game, he's willing to live it, too. I also thought the pre-Exar Kun Jedi and Luke's New Order had the right ideas. The Force comes first, the Order second, and you can still expect a high chance of dying horribly...but they aren't divorced from the people they protect. (In this, the Lars family and Han probably had more influence on Jedi policy than they'd ever realize). I even thought Atris had a spectacularly good idea in training an order of Force-resistant guards to keep watch on Jedi, acting as a bridge between the saber-swingers and the Force-deaf (the flaw in the plan was that the Grand Mistress had already gone mad).

Where they start getting obnoxious is when the group-think kicks in, and when they do their best to divorce themselves from anything other than a feedback loop of their own greatness. It's when their apprentices are taken from their families and have no concept about how ordinary people live. It's when they talk a good game about being protectors of the Republic when the Mandalorians have blasted everyone else in a five-kilometer radius. It's when The Force and The Code become the only things that matter, and that everything else has to be handled with tongs (and a measure of contempt) or forbidden.

And I do like the Republic. For all of its many flaws, it's a place where the average, ordinary sentient can be left alone to pursue their path in peace.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Would you rather be a SITH or a JEDI?!?!?