Thread: Lightsabers
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
Sp!ker
Rookie

Lightsabers

I would like to ask you, will be lightsabers improved? In my opinion they look Horrible ... like an ordinary stick not a lightsaber ... Thank you for your answers and excuse me for my terrible English :-)
Sp!ker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I have to admit, initially we all attacked Bioware for the size of the Hilts, which they resized to a certain degree, but yea, I have noticed that the actual Blade itself looks kinda flat and stick-like, not at all bright and fuzzy like the films and all other games have established, little bit more light and edge blur please

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Sp!ker
Rookie

100% agree
Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Lego lego everywhere, and not a piece to build

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
It really depends on which images you're looking at. The most recent ones look way better than the Pringles-saber.

View page
YouTube Video

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 03-31-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Thanks for sharing that video, Tommycat, I was still in agreement with most about the lightsabers looking rather ugly, but those are not that bad. The blade could be a little thicker, though...

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
The blade could be a little thicker, though...
I'm afraid to ask for it... I mean I could see them adjusting it a bit too much, and BAM Baseball-bat-saber. These look pretty good to me. I mean the sabers in the OT were pretty thin.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Sp!ker
Rookie

thicker blade, more light and edge blur and reduce the size of hilt and it will be perfect... :-)
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I agree that they don't look very good...it's hard to pinpoint exactly what doesn't look good but my biggest problem is with the blade, not the hilt. I basically want it to look exactly like the lightsabers in the prequels. I think the problem is that they are thicker at the base than at the tip.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ker View Post
thicker blade, more light and edge blur and reduce the size of hilt and it will be perfect... :-)
I think the hilt size is fine. To be honest, I think the sabers are pretty well fine as they are. And at least you can holster(belt clip) them unlike KotOR or TSL where you just carried them in your hands everywhere.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
The hilts have been way improved, but the blade looks a bit off. The width seems ok, but it looks strangely flat, perhaps because the separation of the white 'core' and the colored part is too defined, not a more gradual fade-in, though there could be some other reason.

I've noticed that while the graphics are still cartoonish, they're way less exaggerated (especially character models) than early screens showed. IMO this is a good thing, and the 'stylized graphics' fad is just as annoying as the much hated 'everything is gray and brown because we're gritty and realistic and other colors don't exist in war zones/the future' graphics.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

It's the same reason why CG movies still look cartoony instead of looking increasingly realistic, as was expected. It's cheaper, and you can get away with it.

IIRC, Borderlands shifting to the stylised graphics was a major thing. Back when it was announced and the first screenies were shown, there was little to differentiate the game from your average post-apo shooter.

Of course, that probably has more to do with the game and its story itself than it has to do with graphics, but so long as that's that, everyone's going to go stylised, rather than risk competing with Crytek and not being good enough to stand out.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
As with most MMO's the sabers/graphics are probably low poly, low impact to ensure the smoothest possible framerate...

You think griefing over an MMO vs SP is bad? Just wait till a raid is failed because graphics on server side hang. Talk about "ugh" days on the forums. Half the users revert to their inner 10 year old.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
This doesn't matter to me, I don't think my Smuggler will be using a lightsaber much, though I could be wrong.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
This doesn't matter to me, I don't think my Smuggler will be using a lightsaber much, though I could be wrong.
After Galaxies, I got tired of sabers. I got so sick of hearing them because of all the Force Whine in the forums...

Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
It's the same reason why CG movies still look cartoony instead of looking increasingly realistic, as was expected. It's cheaper, and you can get away with it.

IIRC, Borderlands shifting to the stylised graphics was a major thing. Back when it was announced and the first screenies were shown, there was little to differentiate the game from your average post-apo shooter.

Of course, that probably has more to do with the game and its story itself than it has to do with graphics, but so long as that's that, everyone's going to go stylised, rather than risk competing with Crytek and not being good enough to stand out.
Oh I completely understand why they do it (price, looks better on low settings, etc.), and that obviously devs can't base their art styles on 'what liverandbacon would like'.

Personally, I don't need a game to look like it's from Crytek. Hell, I still play Ultima VII (and everyone should). However, even with older graphics (perhaps not Ultima VII old though), one can make a game that's clearly going for realism, or clearly going for cartoonishness.

I'm fine with stylization in games that are meant to be lighthearted or absurd (Borderlands for instance). However, in a more serious game, with deeper themes (what Bioware are claiming TOR is), cartoonish graphics are jarring and detract from the game IMO.

I should probably stop posting about TOR, since I'm seemingly unable to comment on it without being an absolute misery. And my opinion is irrelevant anyway, since I'm never going to play a game with subscription fees (If all games got them, I'd give them up entirely, without hesitation).

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
As long as the hilt doesn't look ridiculous or has a bizarre shape, I'm happy.

I have heard that the blade color would be determined by crystals, and not your class, so that should be good.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I have heard that the blade color would be determined by crystals, and not your class, so that should be good.
In one of the gameplay vidyas they showed a Sith picking up and using a red saber and a blue saber. So it's entirely possible that you can change out crystals. I mean that was one of the basic things of KotOR, so it would be rather silly not to include that.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Frankly, I think some of the outfits are a bigger concern than the sabers.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
Sp!ker
Rookie

lightsabers from movie - http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/palpatine_4.jpg
lightsabers from other star wars games - http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/...101003_006.jpg (jedi academy)

and now lightsabers from OLD REPUBLIC - http://www.hrypc.cz/files/star-wars-...#37;5B4%5D.jpg

Here you can see the difference
worst-looking sabers are in old republic :-///
Why did they do that?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Frankly, I think some of the outfits are a bigger concern than the sabers.
Somehow all outfits remind me of the Power Ranger. Or that Beetle Borgs series.
Although I'm possible going for the Inquisitor, it's looks suck...

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #22
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
lightsabers from movie - http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/palpatine_4.jpg
lightsabers from other star wars games - http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/...101003_006.jpg (jedi academy)

and now lightsabers from OLD REPUBLIC - http://www.hrypc.cz/files/star-wars-...lic%5B4%5D.jpg

Here you can see the difference
worst-looking sabers are in old republic :-///
Why did they do that?
Um, try comparing the saber to the one in my video. It's the more recent vid, so we have the recent saber. I think it looks pretty dang nice.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
Sp!ker
Rookie

they dont look so good.,even in your video-> not ... if you see .. light of lightsaber is too sharp... the edges arent blurred...sabre is very thin... in the best starwars game i expected better design of Lightsabers.. thats all ...
Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #24
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
I dunno, comparing between KotOR and TOR, they look about the same. Maybe slightly larger hilts, but then you can actually change the style of your hilt... I guess you could add a bit more light diffusion... But really at this point, lightsaber criticism's are down to nit picking.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah epic nostalgia'd

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
Sp!ker
Rookie

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah epic nostalgia'd
Yea, Jedi Academy is a game in which the sabers were allright :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
I dunno, comparing between KotOR and TOR, they look about the same.
i don't care f any 7 years old game - kotor ..
now comes tor.. I would say that the lightsabers are even better in Kotor than TOR (they are "not much" in Kotor too).. i dont know why did they do lightsabers stick-like in tor.. it doesnt look good!

Moderator note [04-11-2011 06:37 PM]

Please use the 'edit' function rather than double posting.

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 04-11-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: merging double-post
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
i don't care f any 7 years old game - kotor ..
now comes tor.. I would say that the lightsabers are even better in Kotor than TOR (they are "not much" in Kotor too).. i dont know why did they do lightsabers stick-like in tor.. it doesnt look good!
KotOR was made by Bioware.

I think it's just a matter of opinion. I don't like super glowey overly done sabers. YMMV

Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #28
Sp!ker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
I don't like super glowey overly done sabers. YMMV
me too of course .. I dont wanna too glowing saber like here - http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/kotor/kotor-5b.jpg saber ... I just like the sabers in movie thats all ... and I think that most people have the same opinion
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
me too of course .. I dont wanna too glowing saber like here - http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/kotor/kotor-5b.jpg saber ... I just like the sabers in movie thats all ... and I think that most people have the same opinion
Which movie... in Episode IV it was very bland, V it was more refined, but still kinda bland, VI it got to looking pretty nice. then we got the prequels that had good looking sabers that varied to overly fuzzy at times.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
Sp!ker
Rookie

my idea of ​​a saber...

OFFICIAL by BioWare

MADE BY ME(Notice the blurred red sword when it moves -> on the right)

Last edited by Sp!ker; 04-17-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #31
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Technically, the blurred moving lightsaber should only happen in the movies, because of the 24 fps motion blur. In a game that's supposed to run at 60, there shouldn't be that blurry effect. I think.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #32
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

I Think its the Glow rather than movement blur. The second picture is better as Sp!ker has shown (IMHO)

Old 04-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #33
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

The lightsabre on the left does look better no doubt, but the on the right looks like a movement blur (as it appears in the movies, and is specified by the image author).

Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #34
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

sorry, I didn't even see that saber lol, I'm talkin about the purple double blade, the movement blur doesn't bother me

Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #35
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Technically, the blurred moving lightsaber should only happen in the movies, because of the 24 fps motion blur. In a game that's supposed to run at 60, there shouldn't be that blurry effect. I think.
I'm not an expert on the pretend science of lightsabers, but I always assumed it was like the blur you get when you 'write' with a sparkler. Visible with human eyesight, not due to a video camera.

edit: never mind, just realized you meant it wouldn't be visible when paused, not in game. That makes sense.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #36
Sp!ker
Rookie

well, but in the video sabers could be movement blurred ..
Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #37
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
well, but in the video sabers could be movement blurred ..
Aren't they? Never paid due attention on the trailers. But I agree with you, it just looks weird otherwise.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #38
Sp!ker
Rookie

it blurs only in certain situations... probably some Ability
Old 04-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #39
That Guy Over There
Lurker

I think that if there's a way to have motion blur while still maintaining a good FPS, they should go for it. The one thing that I think they should definitely change is the fact that the lightsaber gets thicker at the bottom. I think that while lightsabers should have rounded tips for aesthetic purposes, the edges should definitely be parallel, otherwise it looks to me more like a glowing sword rather than a blade made out of energy.
That Guy Over There is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #40
Sp!ker
Rookie

is incomprehensible why they made ​​the sabers so unprofessional...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Lightsabers