lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #201
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Another ME3 article

I'm interested to see how the "permanent" vs "temporary" squad mate dynamic plays out. I'm sure a lot of nervous Tali fanboys are too.
Didn't Tali die in ME2???? I remember seeing her kick the bucket in a number of different ways

Oh and awesome article!!!!

Show spoiler

Last edited by mstr kenobi; 04-10-2011 at 11:54 PM.
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #202
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
I see someone didn't talk to his squad mates

@Mimi: Shepard>Reapers, DUH!!
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #203
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Actually i did, i just got bored out of my mind with the, "poor quarians got their asses kicked by the toaster", and the "daddy never hugged me one in ME1".
And than, even though i'm a mean bastard towards her, she loves me!!!! I was dissapointed that i couldn't tell her "no way bucket girl" right to her face/bucket.
I'm not saying she's badly written, the romance comes out of nowhere but that happens, or anything... she just bothers me!!!

So i killed her , over and over and over again, and in a number of different ways lol (taken by the bugs is my favorite ).

Last edited by mstr kenobi; 04-11-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #204
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
I think Achilles was referring to you not knowing what was up with the Genophage. It's explained.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #205
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Hrmm that whole temporary squad mate thing is going to piss off a lot of people I suspect. I really don't know why they love killing off their party NPCs so much. It doesn't add "dramatic tension" - it just annoys people, and leads exactly to situations like this.

And the comment about the effect of ME 1 & 2 choices makes me inclined to believe they will be completely inconsequential, which was what I always suspected, but is a shame. It actually would be kind of cool if they had the balls to make the 3rd game unwinable based on choices made in the first two. But I guess their target audience wouldn't like that much.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #206
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Somehow I don't think many people would buy a game that's an effective Kobayashi Maru. But I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of ways for bad choices in the first two games to bite players in the ass.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #207
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Somehow I don't think many people would buy a game that's an effective Kobayashi Maru. But I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of ways for bad choices in the first two games to bite players in the ass.
Not killing Conrad better have some seriously negative effects.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-11-2011 at 12:26 AM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #208
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
I think Achilles was referring to you not knowing what was up with the Genophage. It's explained.
Show spoiler

Quote:
Hrmm that whole temporary squad mate thing is going to piss off a lot of people I suspect. I really don't know why they love killing off their party NPCs so much. It doesn't add "dramatic tension" - it just annoys people, and leads exactly to situations like this.
I actually like this, they are leaders for their own people (most likely), but work with Shepard for a while in solving common problems, again most likely.

Last edited by mstr kenobi; 04-11-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #209
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Not killing Conrad better have some seriously negative effects.
"I am assuming direct control"

*Shot of Collector General possessing Collector Drone*
*Shot of Reaper possessing Collector General*
*Shot of Conrad Verner possessing Reaper*

Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #210
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The Conrad Reaper would be pretty bad ass. He'd probably get pushed around by the other Reapers though, have them shoving their appendages in his face and the like.

It actually would be pretty cool to see Conrad pull off some sort of crazy heroic sacrifice kind of thing to take down a Reaper, along the lines of Randy Quaid in Independence Day. Corny, but would fit his character well I think.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #211
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
It's actually not that different in principle (and motivation), but I'll assume you mean that you aren't bothered by the former as opposed to the latter. Both examples are fairly jarring to my mind when compared to their respective forebears, but to each their own.
I see where you're coming from, but I guess I just feel that one type of cut corner hurts the gameplay significantly (reusing levels so many times makes people use the same strategies, know where everything will be, etc.), while the other doesn't really do much harm in that regard (with the same collection of humanoid character models, you can have a bunch of different enemy types, after all, a real life nation's soldiers are all human shaped and have similar uniforms, and there's plenty of variation).

Also, I'd feel like a massive hypocrite, since I didn't care when Fallout 2 reused a huge amount of graphical material from Fallout 1, and this seems like pretty much the same situation.

Quote:
Another ME3 article

I'm interested to see how the "permanent" vs "temporary" squad mate dynamic plays out. I'm sure a lot of nervous Tali fanboys are too.

spoiler:
EDIT: Ooo! Who doesn't love hot Reaper-on-Thresher-Maw action?
I'll believe the bit about 'chessboard' AI once I see it. Video game AI hasn't really improved since F.E.A.R in 2005 (though if we're talking about sandbox AI, S.T.A.L.K.E.R's was pretty good). In fact, I'm not sure I've seen much AI that's even equal with F.E.A.R's.

Temporary squadmates seems like a good idea, since it allows for the return of characters that could die, but doesn't force those who let it happen to miss out on huge chunks of content.

Reaper vs. Thresher Maw seems less of a good idea. Considering you could ravage thresher maws easily in a scouting tank, and even kill them with small arms fire on foot, whereas it took a long, concerted attack by entire fleets to destroy one Reaper, I don't see how they can make that fight make any sense. Either the Reapers are insanely weak (thus not a threat to any spaceship), or Thresher Maws have just been made a few million times stronger (in which case, how has anything survived on Tuchanka or any other planet they populate?). The only reason I can see is 'it just looks cool'; whether that's enough is a matter of taste, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi View Post
Actually i did, i just got bored out of my mind with the, "poor quarians got their asses kicked by the toaster", and the "daddy never hugged me one in ME1".
And than, even though i'm a mean bastard towards her, she loves me!!!! I was dissapointed that i couldn't tell her "no way bucket girl" right to her face/bucket.
I'm not saying she's badly written, the romance comes out of nowhere but that happens, or anything... she just bothers me!!!

So i killed her , over and over and over again, and in a number of different ways lol (taken by the bugs is my favorite ).
Oh god. Hide before ChAiNz comes back.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 04-11-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: noticed a grammar mistake
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 AM   #212
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
Temporary squadmates seems like a good idea, since it allows for the return of characters that could die, but doesn't force those who let it happen to miss out on huge chunks of content.
This actually seems like a decent idea. Still, how many old squadmates will be regulars this go round? And how many regulars for ME3?

Quote:
........The only reason I can see is 'it just looks cool'; whether that's enough is a matter of taste, I suppose.
I suspect that would be a big part of it......very overly dramatic, yet wildly improbable.

Quote:
Guess ChAiNz' old banning finger is gonna get a workout....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #213
Primogen

I'm just hoping Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre shows up.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #214
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
The problem I have with the temporary teammate thing is it seems a bit like pot luck whether your personal favourites will be back or not. Everyone can die in ME2, so arguably on that basis all of them should only be temporary ME3. Will that actually be the case? Guess we'll see. If it is, like I said there will be some seriously pissed people (*cough* Talimancers *cough*). The only guaranteed live 'uns are Ashley/Kaidan and Liara, plus this new bloke (son of the chick Anderson had the hots for in the novels?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
I'm just hoping Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre shows up.
Lol. That was the best part of ME2. Screw whatever movie they are thinking about - they should totally make the Blasto movie.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 04-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #215
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Well if BioWare is going to limit dialog with party member based on love interest/gender then temporary party members is a welcome change to me. At least now I don’t have to run all over the Normandy between every mission just so the party members can tell Shepard they are busy come back later at best or to **** off at worse.

Beyond Mordin, Samara and Thane the conversations with party members in ME 2 were disappointing to me personally. The conversations with Tali, Miranda and Jack were terrible when not romancing them, just mediocre when in a romance. It is really sad when a DLC party member that you can’t really interact with outside their side quest has more to say about other missions and what is happening on the ship than regular party members that came with the game.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-11-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #216
Primogen

Can this wait, Mimartin? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #217
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Wrex.
Shepard.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #218
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Guess ChAiNz' old banning finger is gonna get a workout....

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #219
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

More details

spoiler:
"Players will also be able to pick up enemy weapons and not just their ammo."
Two words:
spoiler:
Omni-Gel
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #220
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Wrex.
Shepard.
Grunt.
Shepard.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #221
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Two words:
spoiler:
Omni-Gel

NO! The best thing about ME2 was no Omni-Gel. Shepard even made fun of it in LotSB.

Quote:
combat is getting a few minor tweaks to help improve the cover system.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #222
Primogen

Damn, I was hoping they would decide that Heat Sinks were a stupid idea.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #223
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
So the article says that Garrus is confirmed as a (presumably permanent) squad member. What if he died in ME2? Are they making it canon that he survived regardless? That doesn't seem to make any sense.

And earning loyalty is back again. You'd think after following Shepard around for this long to hell and back that they'd finally trust him by now.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #224
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
What if he died in ME2? Are they making it canon that he survived regardless? That doesn't seem to make any sense.
Shepard could have died in ME2. Does it similarly not make any sense that they would make his survival canon?

Is the problem that they're playing the canon card or is the problem that they are doing it with Garrus?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #225
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If Shepard dies you can't import that ME2 save into ME3, so that's irrelevant.

I have no particular issue with Garrus - in fact I quite like him. My point is simply if they made it so every squad member in ME2 could die with the stated intention of carrying that across into ME3, it seems a bit unfair to turn around pick certain squad members over others that get magically resurrected - assuming that is indeed what happens in ME3. All it does is highlight what a cheap tactic killing them off in the first place was.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #226
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
And earning loyalty is back again. You'd think after following Shepard around for this long to hell and back that they'd finally trust him by now.
It really makes no sense...

I hope this time atleast loyalty changes something, instead of being just a flag for who lives/who dies?

Hey chainz they tried to paint you as this big bad guy, but you are cool

Hey everyone makes mistakes!!! Bioware's was... ah let's not push it

Last edited by mstr kenobi; 04-12-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #227
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
DarthParametric - As it has been said, Garrus is only a squad member IF he DIDN'T die in ME2. If you don't import a save game, one would assume that he would be alive as canon.

If he is dead, I have no doubt he will be replaced by some cheap ass turian stand in.

As for loyalty, I hope it works different, but I think loyalty is primarily for RACES. Not the actualy squad.

One Thing I don't want: Last battle - *I CHOOSE YOU, RACHNI! NOW I CHOOSE YOU, ASARI* just like in DA:O..

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #228
Primogen

I'm hoping we get to see a decent space battle, like a combined Rachni-Krogan fleet beating the daylights out of a Reaper group.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #229
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
If he is dead, I have no doubt he will be replaced by some cheap ass turian stand in.
Sidonis maybe? Oh wait...
Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #230
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
As it has been said, Garrus is only a squad member IF he DIDN'T die in ME2. If you don't import a save game, one would assume that he would be alive as canon.
Where was that said? I was going on what the article posted earlier said (which I gather was a summary of the GI article). But assuming that is the case - that he could indeed be dead and thus may require a substitute - then why choose him of all potentially dead ME2 squad mates as a permanent ME3 squad mate? Is it because they've determined he is the most popular? The statistically most likely to survive ME2? It just seems kind of arbitrary to me is all. If it's the case that his death does indeed carry over and he isn't substituted for in ME3 then I would actually appreciate that, as it would be a real carry-over of consequences from ME2. But as I said before, I can't see them wanting to chance something like that.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #231
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:

Is The Great Biotic Wind the big bad guy in this? I sooo want that!!!

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #232
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post

I'm really digging how the tombstone is so phallic.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #233
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkside View Post
Is The Great Biotic Wind the big bad guy in this? I sooo want that!!!
Niftu Cal? Possibly. Arguably there aren't any other Volus that bad ass.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #234
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
So I finished my final Mass Effect 2 playthrough ready to import into ME3

Level 30
Paragon
Council Saved
Rachni Queen Saved
Collector Base Destroyed
Everyone Survived
Romanced Tali, NOT unfaithful as had no romance in ME1

anyone elses "statistics" for me3 import?

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #235
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You can't not have a romance in ME1. On import into ME2 no romance is flagged as a Liara romance.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #236
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Can't wait to see the consequences of saving the Rachni Queen. Whether it means being screwed over by the Queen or getting help from a horde of Rachni creatures, I'm sure it'll be awesome.

Also, getting Ashley/Carth as permanent squad member feels like a punishment. In fact, if it turns out Tali's not, this'll feel like some sick BioWare joke. And I want more Legion!

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #237
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
First Name: Jack
Appearance: Default
Background: Colonist, Sole Survivor
Class: Soldier
Alignment: Paragon
Level: 30
Love Interest (ME1): Liara
Love Interest (ME2): Tali (also Kelly, and Garrus (I wish)) (totally unfaithful, I know)
Sacrificed on Virmire: Ashley
Fate of Wrex: Alive
Fate of Rachni: Saved
Fate of Council: Saved, Anderson on Council
Outcome of Suicide Mission: Base Destroyed, no losses
Spectre Status: Reinstated
Normandy SR2 Status: Fully Upgraded
Relationship with Cerberus: Effectively severed

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #238
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Hey chainz they tried to paint you as this big bad guy, but you are cool

Hey everyone makes mistakes!!! Bioware's was... ah let's not push it
yeah, I'm (one of) the resident Tali-Fan(atics) hehehe. I hear ya though on Bio. I lurve them.. but they broke my heart with NWN2
Mass Effect more than makes up for it though. I guess I have forgiven them, for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I'm really digging how the tombstone is so phallic.
hehehe.. never noticed till you said something. Now it's burned in my mind

Quote:
So I finished my final Mass Effect 2 playthrough ready to import into ME3

Level 30
Paragon
Council Saved
Rachni Queen Saved
Collector Base Destroyed
Everyone Survived
Romanced Tali, NOT unfaithful as had no romance in ME1

anyone elses "statistics" for me3 import?
My "preferred" (main) import is identical to yours

Quote:
You can't not have a romance in ME1. On import into ME2 no romance is flagged as a Liara romance.
Yeah you can, or I should say.. I 'think' (we'll see.. hehe). I romanced Ashley up to the point of the clone factory and left her there to be a hero. Yeah.. I'm a bastard.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #239
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Time they introduced a Turian female squad mate, so I can see what this talk of flexing and reaching is about... interstellar interracial achievement coming up x-D

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #240
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
they broke my heart with NWN2
NWN2 was made by Obsidian.

Quote:
Yeah you can, or I should say.. I 'think' (we'll see.. hehe). I romanced Ashley up to the point of the clone factory and left her there to be a hero. Yeah.. I'm a bastard.
Yes, you can play through ME1 without romancing anyone. But when you import that save into ME2, the romance state flag gets set to Liara. Although there is a progress value for the romance conversations, so possibly it could flag the romance as Ashley even though you killed her off. I'm not sure how it deals with that.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3