lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Playable Alien Species (Beta)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Playable Alien Species (Beta)

This is a quick & dirty / bare bones alien mod. I've added a few unique skins, but mostly they have in-game models and appearances. At any rate, you'll be able to play as a few different aliens.

Download at FileFront.

I've split the files up into two groups. The first group of nine is more stable, and consists of:
Bith, Duro, Rodian, Trandoshan, Aqualish (Walrusman), Nikto (Swoopgang), Iridonian (Spaceman), Frogling (Yoda species), & female Sand Person.

The second group of eight is not as stable, but I threw 'em in there anyway:
Gamorrean, Ithorian, Jawa, Rakata, Selkath, Quarren, Chadra-Fan & Gran.

All the details as to why and how are in the read-me.

I highly recomend my Species Specific Feats mod and my Soundset mods to complete the alien experience .

I'll add more screenshots after I've unpacked my computer from the moving boxes.

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -

Last edited by redrob41; 07-02-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: DL link is working now
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Nice! I hope those server issues are fixed soon. I also didn't know that the Gran models were available in K1...

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
OK, this is really cool. Hopefully you'll eventually get it all working normally because this is a great idea.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
are you going to do mandalorians? and i am looking forward to Quarrens i always did like them especialy Darth Maleval

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Latios6222
Rookie

Current Game: Kotor 1
Would it be possible to add a Codru-Ji
Latios6222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latios6222 View Post
Would it be possible to add a Codru-Ji
with four arms? Sorry, but that's next to impossible given the editing tools available. The animations would be too hard to do.

All of these Beta species are using only existing in-game models. All I've really done is re-skin them so that they'd be different from the NPCs.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Latios6222
Rookie

Would it be possible to make a Togruta, Bothan, and Sullustan.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Would it be possible to make a Togruta, Bothan, and Sullustan.
well, I'm not gonna say that those ones are impossible. There is an outside chance that someone could do it, since all three of those species could use the standard body models. The problem is that the amount of work that would have to go into making the heads is too huge, there's a lot of hex editing guesswork involved, and too many ways for it to get messed up along the way.

I'm not gonna take the time to try it. You could do a search for a tutorial by Miro42, for some insight into adding verticies to head models.

I hope I haven't completely dashed your hopes . Basically, the easiest aliens to make are near-humans. Most of the time, they just need a re-skin. Sometimes you can re-shape an existing head model, and use Taina's replacer tool method to get it in game. That method will work for simple changes like pointy ears, empty eye sockets, simple horns (they don't usually look that great), or slightly out of proportion faces.

The most ambitious heads I've tried are cat-like Cathar, Sith species, and they're disasters. I did have some success with a Duros head (Nindo Bahr a character in RoR), cat-like Juhani (see jonathan7's random tinkering thread), and a pair of female Devaronians (also for RoR as PCs; the third one was a failure). So you see, it's still hit-or-miss with alien heads.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Latios6222
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post
well, I'm not gonna say that those ones are impossible. There is an outside chance that someone could do it, since all three of those species could use the standard body models. The problem is that the amount of work that would have to go into making the heads is too huge, there's a lot of hex editing guesswork involved, and too many ways for it to get messed up along the way.

I'm not gonna take the time to try it. You could do a search for a tutorial by Miro42, for some insight into adding verticies to head models.

I hope I haven't completely dashed your hopes . Basically, the easiest aliens to make are near-humans. Most of the time, they just need a re-skin. Sometimes you can re-shape an existing head model, and use Taina's replacer tool method to get it in game. That method will work for simple changes like pointy ears, empty eye sockets, simple horns (they don't usually look that great), or slightly out of proportion faces.

The most ambitious heads I've tried are cat-like Cathar, Sith species, and they're disasters. I did have some success with a Duros head (Nindo Bahr a character in RoR), cat-like Juhani (see jonathan7's random tinkering thread), and a pair of female Devaronians (also for RoR as PCs; the third one was a failure). So you see, it's still hit-or-miss with alien heads.
Where can i get those devaronian heads at?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Where can i get those devaronian heads at?
You'll have to wait until Revenge of Revan is released. I might not have them all finished before the demo is ready, because I'm still struggling with making a third female head. There is already a Devaronian male head in TSL, but none in Kotor.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #11
Bob Ta'aar
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR, KotOR2:TSLRCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post

Please let me know, if you found out anything useful about the hexing part.
I managed to detach the head from the Weequay-model and have him in place on top of a human body, even with dangly hair, ... all working exept for the facial animations. I'm absolutely positive that I can do the same with every other alien full-body model that makes sense (Yoda-species, Chadra-fan, ect. don't really, but Quarren, Duros, Sullustan, ect. all go well. Reshaping the body-model a bit should be doable).
But after hours and hours of hex-trials without any success, I'm just too frustrated without any new hint of something that might work .

I started modding KotOR(2)!
May the Force be with ya, folks!
Bob Ta'aar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ta'aar View Post
Please let me know, if you found out anything useful about the hexing part.
nah, just what I learned from Miro42. It's all trial and error after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ta'aar View Post
I managed to detach the head from the Weequay-model and have him in place on top of a human body, even with dangly hair, ... all working exept for the facial animations. [snip] But after hours and hours of hex-trials without any success, I'm just too frustrated without any new hint of something that might work .
I had similar problems when trying to merge Bastila's head model with another (for different hair). I noticed that on top of the hex editing issues, that the model also lost some of the bone weights, which caused a loss of facial animation. I tried fixing the weights, but I never did get it to work. The tutorials I followed are in the modelling section, threads started by Kha and Jolly Boots.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Xinaith
Banned

I clicked the installer, specified the game folder but it says it can't find dialog.tlk and closes when I can clearly see it there. Any idea what's going on mate?
Xinaith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
noname35
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR 1 and 2
Pretty good mod. I always like having alien party members, but having an alien PC is even better.
noname35 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Taris Upper City Emporium > Playable Alien Species (Beta)