lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: So... what are you reading right now?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #401
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Well my obsessions right now are vampire series novels and Dante's Divine Comedy. My tastes are pretty much the wierdies to my family.

JediMaster12 is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #402
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Pulp - Charles Bukowsky.

=]

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #403
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

David Mitchell - number9dream
Poppy Z. Brite - Lost Souls
Nicholas Carr - The Shallows

The latter one is a non-fiction on how the net is screwing up our minds and destroying our ability to read long works of text.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #404
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
The latter one is a non-fiction on how the net is screwing up our minds and destroying our ability to read long works of text.
TL;DR

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #405
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
TL;DR
tl'dr

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #406
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Just finished Ringworld by Larry Niven, now on the Hunt for Red October.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #407
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
@Sabre: funny, I just read a book about how TV makes us incapable of, well, pretty much anything serious. Amusing ourselves to death by Neil Postman, it was written in 86, and while it's easy to laugh at some of his predictions (computers comes to mind), the guy has a point.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #408
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I've read Amusing Ourselves to Death, he's right about a lot of things. In a way, The Shallows feels like an updated version of that book.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #409
Working Class Hero
Rookie

Currently reading the God Delusion...wonderful book.
Working Class Hero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #410
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Hero View Post
Currently reading the God Delusion...wonderful book.
After finishing it, I advise you to read 'The Dawkins Delusion'.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #411
Canaan Sadow

Current Game: Pokemon & K2
I am reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deception
Canaan Sadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #412
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Currently reading a 1924 edition of Masterpieces of Oriental Mysteries- Tales of China Town by Sax Rohmer. They are pretty good and I enjoy a good read like dime back novels.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 AM   #413
Working Class Hero
Rookie

Reading a history of Auschwitz by Laurence Rees....really cheery book.

Last edited by Working Class Hero; 05-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Working Class Hero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #414
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux. Surprisingly fun read, considering the era and the fact that it's translated from French. For some reason, I'm imagining everything in it through an anime format. Maybe it's too much Le Chevalier d'Eon.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #415
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

I read Phantom of the Opera a long time ago in grade school. 4th grade I think. It is a good story.

Right now though in studying for my comp exams in order to complete my MA degree, I am refamilarizing myself on Paul Schrader's work on Film Noir. Also Stam's work on montage and some readings on psychoanalysis in film. Pretty busy days for me.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #416
.:Lord Revan:.

Current Game: MW3
This thread . No i am reading a book on the constitution of the US.
.:Lord Revan:. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #417
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
A book about the origin and history of antisemitism, by Hannah Arendt. Title is way too big to bother remembering.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #418
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 

Not the cover I have, but I'm reading the Chandler book 'Farewell, My Lovely' atm

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #419
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
I'm currently reading Bloodfeud, which sounds a bit like an airport novel but is actually a superbly researched narrative history of 11th century England by Professor Richard Fletcher, a truly remarkable scholar who is regrettably no longer with us.

Drawing the narrative together is the concept of feuding factions (something central to all early Germanic cultures) and how they fuelled the political turbulence of the early/mid 11th century: at least four full-scale invasions, the loss of Cumbria to the Scots, and nine kings in the space of seventy years.

Like everything Fletcher seems to have done, it is written in a wonderfully accessible style, so if anyone's interested in this particular period of Northern European history, I couldn't imagine a better introduction.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Last edited by Pavlos; 05-06-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #420
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Charlie Sheen's Biography.

n'aww. I wish :P

World of WarCraft: The Shattering

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #421
Drunkside
Satanīs little helper

The Wise Man´s Fear

Saivoīs New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #422
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
Forward, a Firefly fanfic of massive proportions by 'Peptuck'.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #423
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Charlie Sheen's Biography.

n'aww. I wish :P
Odd, considering you hate American humour.

Currently reading a book about General Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck, the only 'undefeated' German officer of the First World War, and the only one to invade British Territory.

And his response, in later life, to Hitler's offer of the post of Ambassador to Great Britain is classic. It was reportedly 'Go **** yourself'.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #424
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
At the moment I'm slowly reading The Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #425
Mandalorian Knight
Rookie

"At Home: A short history of Private Life" by Bill Bryson. Bryson does a good job at condensing complicated subjects down to more understandable levels. I also read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" which not only looks at the history of Earth, but also at the study of that history.

Also, "The Count of Monte Cristo." I just got the Amazon Kindle app, there are a ton of free books, mostly classics. It is quite possibly the greatest thing ever.
Mandalorian Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #426
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Reading old comic books today. Makes me want to collect again.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #427
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian Knight View Post
"At Home: A short history of Private Life" by Bill Bryson. Bryson does a good job at condensing complicated subjects down to more understandable levels.
Indeed, excellent book. Well humored and witty. I helped on the official translation to portuguese so I had to read it several times.

Quote:
Also, "The Count of Monte Cristo." I just got the Amazon Kindle app, there are a ton of free books, mostly classics. It is quite possibly the greatest thing ever.
And here is where you win again, pal. I need to pick another Dumas to read but Monte Cristo will be quite the investment, considering the size.

One funny thing is that I'm finishing "Le Rouge et le Noir", by Stendhal, and in one of his own notes he criticizes Dumas work as being "frivolous".

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #428
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian Knight View Post
"At Home: A short history of Private Life" by Bill Bryson.
I read that book. Was pretty good, but didn't seem as great as his previous efforts, to me anyway. My favorite book of his is 'A short history of nearly everything' which I found to be utterly fantastic.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #429
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Just finished Runes of the Earth, the first book of the final chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen R. Donaldson. This is my new favorite fantasy series. Donaldson really challenges his readers more than the average fantasy author. His lead character commits a really despicable act in the early stages of book one, and you still care about him. There is so much room for discussion about what certain things mean in the books, that it will be great for multiple readings. Check out the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson.

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #430
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #431
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Ah someone reading a book that I would enjoy!

Well what I'm reading is not a book per se. Rather it a series of old essays as well as texts relating to the topics to consider for my comp exams. Man they are just around the corner. However it is a good opportunity to see how much I actually remember of face negotiation theory according to Littlejohn and Foss.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #432
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Do you own one yourself?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #433
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II

Just finished The End of Mr. Y, by Scarlett Thomas, and...

Sigh. This is the problem with books like this. They entice you in with promises of Chestertonian surrealism and gothic adventuring, and you get... tawdry and humdrum sex scenes and banal characters boring each others' ears off for pages on end about Baudrillard and Derrida. No, really: the book is full of passages like:

I search my shelves for the book. Eventually I find it, and it tells me what I remember reading. In the furnace of the Big Bng, hydrogen was the first element to form from the hot plasmic soup of electrons and protons. It's a bit of a no-brainer: all you need for hydrogen is one electron and one proton. The mass of this hydrogen isotope is one - because it has one proton (electrons don't reall have any mass). In the incredible heat, hydrogen isotopes with masses two (deuterium - one proton and one neutron) and three (tritium and trialphium) also formed. Then helium, with mass four. But there is no stable atom with mass five. Because there is no atom with mass five, no one understood how carbon could ever habe been made. Each new element is made from fusing the elements that ame before it, but you can whi hydrogen and helium around in a cosmic blender for as long as you want and you won't make carbon.

That is a problem because...

And so on, and so on, and so on, for pages. The thing is, this is meant to be a novel. If I wanted to have a science textbook regurgitated at me, I'd take evening classes. It just fills up pages and attempts to make the author lookk clever. Except, of course, it's unbelievably boring. And as I say, other bits spend page after page wittering about Baudrillard and Heidegger until you want to throttle the authoress.

This isn't helped by a protagonist who must be the most artifically 'tragic' character ever invented. She's PhD student on the brink of starvation who engages in dirty sex to alleviate something-or-other and as a slightly less harmful version of cutting herself (aw, bless - are ya getting weepy yet?). The character, of course, never shuts up about any of this, either, and the sheer clumsiness of the authorial artifice is almost more nauseating than the execrable prose itself.

And every character has the same "issues", cookie-cutter design to them. Every one. It doesn't help that everything is filtered through the knowing, weary eyes of the protagonist. Partly, this is because of when it was written, in 2006, when it seems 'meaningful issues' were still things to discuss, and everyone wasn't yet sick to death of abortion threads.

The overall result is you get a glorified and rather **** thought experiment shoved down your throat, surrounded by some abysmal writing. If the book had managed to match its high-falutin' scientific pretensions with less padding and a structure closer to that of the more successful postmodernists - the plot of Foucault's Pendulum, say - it might have been something to write home about. But I doubt Foucault's Pendulum sold 150,000 copies.

This book serves as a stark warning against teachers of creative writing. Because of Scarlett Thomas is anything to by, they're people who shouldn't be writing in the first place, let alone their pupils.

I also just finished Newtons Sleep by Daniel O'Mahony.

Now, here the contrast is interesting between the diabolically awful but successful 'mainstream' novel and the really, really good obscure 'genre' work.

Newtons Sleep is part of the Faction Paradox universe, of which I have probably bored people enough already in this thread to repeat things again. What marks this book out from the likes of, say, Warlords of Utopia, is that it's a bit less of a Boy's Own adventure tale. NS takes as its premise the adage "as above, so below", and then applies it to English history between, roughly, the late reign of James I (reigned 1603-1625), and the reign of Charles II (r. 1630-1685), and the construction of the New St Paul's Cathedral (begun in 1677 and completed in the 1720s) and the building of six churches in London by Nicholas Hawksmoor.

The period was one of massive social and political change: from the execution of Charles I, the erection of the Commonwealth of England, the Restoration of Charles II, the brief reign of James II and the so-called Glorious Revolution of 1688 which booted him out, there was a period of only 63 years. In the same period, major theological, scientific, philosophical and literary figures rise and fall, like Newton, Winstanley, Milton, Behn, Wren, Hawksmoor, Hobbes, Dryden, and so on.

And the premise of Newtons Sleep is that War in Heaven (in this case, between the Great Houses and their Enemy) is intimately connected with the goings-on of this period, directly as well as indirectly.

O'Mahony handles this brilliantly, managing to weave fact and fiction, the surreal super-science fiction and the expectations and prejudices of the 17th Century beautifully. The result is a tome of a book, which takes a long time to plough through (not least because the structure of the prose has a distinct and unhurried style to it), but which rewards persistence.

This is by no means an easy read, but it is a rewarding one, and one more than worth pursuing. By parts beautiful, fascinating, horrifying, revolting and amusing, it's a great piece of writing. Following two major characters and a host of minor ones, including the very much real Aphra Behn, the book as much examines 17th century ideas of magic, science, the order of the universe and its very direct relationship with the physical world as it does grandiose four-dimensional war. Anyone looking for fancy spaceship battles should look elsewhere, because this is something very different and far, far more fascinating.

I only have two complaints about the book. One, I found the sex scenes unnecessary, and thought they detracted from an otherwise superb book by dragging it to the level of titillation in those scenes. Two, I rather wish the author hadn't chosen Aphra Behn. Not because he mishandles the character - on the contrary, I thought her characterisation was lively and compelling - but simply because she's a character about whom there has been so much... fuss, that I think a less well-known person might have been more interesting.

The only other thing is that some readers may find the points where the book connects with its wider mythos a little vague on details and find it difficult as a consequence to work out what is going on in these scenes. I have to confess, once I finished the book I turned back to The Book of the War to look up a couple of relevant passages and remind myself of what's going on, but I don't think not knowing about this will render these parts of the book incomprehensible. Overall a very, very impressive novel that is well, well worth reading.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #434
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Finishing the second book of A song of ice and fire. Easy and good read.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #435
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Hunger by Knut Hamsun, on recommendation from the good Sam. Strangely addictive and makes me read a whole quarter at a go.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #436
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee

Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #437
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 

Just finished reading this and it's really, really good. It's a collection of short stories based on the premise that there is a machine, when provided with a blood sample, is able to tell you how you will die. The original concept comes from this episode of Dinosaur Comics by Ryan North (which is a fantastic read, by the by). The stories are from some pretty well known webcomic authors as well as some fresh new faces. For the most part, they do extremely well as many of the stories are well done. Quite a few of my favorite stories are from authors I'd never heard of before. There are a few duds, but on the whole, it's a great collection of work based around a rather unique and oddly compelling idea. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good, thought-provoking read.

For those interested in learning more, here are some handy links:

The Machine of Death Website - explains the concept in further detail
Wiki link - with an amusing story of how political blowhard and professional troll Glenn Beck threw a hissy fit when MOD beat his book on the bestseller list.
Link to ebook download - for those who would like to read it, but are poor, the editors are total rock stars and have made it freely available in pdf form for your reading pleasure.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #438
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
I am reading Bloodlines....something I'm starting to regret. It just drags on and on and on. It's like the author wasn't even trying.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #439
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Peter F. Hamilton ~ Judas Unchained

Follow up to "Pandora's Star", very good sci-fi saga!

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #440
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Finally started reading I, Lucifer. I'm halfway through and it's been an entertaining read so far. Glen Duncan portrays Lucifer as a funny and rather mischievous than really evil character, from Lucifer's own POV. I do have some issues with Lucifer's digressions (even if they are funny) and his recounting of biblical events from his POV, which for me detract from what's supposed to be the main storyline in this book (but which hasn't had any time to shine so far): Lucifer and his experience on earth, in the body of a suicidal writer. But Lucifer's character is so entertaining you just keep reading.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > So... what are you reading right now?