lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Should SWG be Free
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
thadgard
Lurker

Should SWG be Free

Should Star Wars Galaxies Be free. meaning that no monthly subscription needed to play...
thadgard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Yes. Star Wars Galaxies should follow the examples of Lord of the Rings Online, and Dungeons & Dragons Online, and become free to play with an option of membership subscription.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Is this game still $20-$30 a month?

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
No. It's 15$ at maximum.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Ok then.

Well i'm not sure i'd get a credit card to actually play this regurally.

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
DarthJacen
Forumite

If they made it free, I'd worry about the frequency of hotfixes. Right now, they have an average of one to two hotfixes each weak. If they made it free, they would have to let go some of their staff, meaning maintenance of the game will be a lot worse, and their ticket service non-existant.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild

Last edited by DarthJacen; 07-02-2010 at 08:14 PM.
DarthJacen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
@ DarthJacen - You still play SWG, don't you?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Do you guys know how much it costs to run those servers? That's what you're paying for. The privilege of using the servers.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
Do you guys know how much it costs to run those servers? That's what you're paying for. The privilege of using the servers.
And their maintenance. Still, there are some MMO's that are free to play, as I mentioned above, and are a huge sucess.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
DarthJacen
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
@ DarthJacen - You still play SWG, don't you?
Yep, I, just, got my badge for their Seventh Anniverary Rembrance Day celebration!

CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJacen View Post
Yep, I, just, got my badge for their Seventh Anniverary Rembrance Day celebration!
Have you noticed an increase in number of players?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
DarthJacen
Forumite

Yes, actually, it was very crowded at the Mos Eisley Cantina, Theed, Naboo, and Coronet, Corellia. Celebrations tend to do that, but also Chilastra in general, usually, has a lot of people playing.

CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
Old 07-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #13
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
And their maintenance. Still, there are some MMO's that are free to play, as I mentioned above, and are a huge sucess.
A lot of the free to play MMO's are either dumbed way down, highly instanced, or in some cases both. This doesn't make them less enjoyable, it just means that in order to make it profitable steps had to be taken to reduce strain on the hardware running the game servers. A lot of free MMO's are now using a micro-transaction system.

I just usually find it amusing that people think gaming companies charge monthly fees just to line their pockets. As if it costs nothing to run a server that holds 3000+ people.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
DarthJacen
Forumite

I agree completely

CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I just hope TOR doesn't kill this game. When I asked you about the number of players, was if you noticed an increase since the announcement of TOR.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #16
DarthJacen
Forumite

I saw a huge amount of new enrollments and old veterans show up, some who hadn't played in years came back. Most said, they were there to pass the time until TOR came out, but some said they couldn't see themselves playing in the "Old Republic Era" (I hate that term because it suggests that the Republic of the Clone Wars was a different republic) because they preferred life in the movie era everyone grew up watching.

Quote:
LucasArts senior online exec Tom Nichols has confirmed that the firm’s current plan is to run Star War Galaxies alongside The Old Republic for an indefinite period, and that more content is on the way for the current MMO.

“That’s the plan right now,” Nichols told VG247.com when asked specifically if the two would run together indefinitely.

“I think the market will definitely support that.”

Nichols, speaking at this week’s San Francisco launch of BioWare’s The Old Republic, said LucasArts has actively bolstered Galaxies with extra products this year, and that in-game content is in production.

“We’re still committed to Star Wars Galaxies,” he said. “A couple of things: a demonstration of that commitment includes a recent trading card game that we launched in August. It’s doing very well for us and we have a new expansion pack being planned for that.

“Shortly we’re going to release a new Hoth encounter that recreates that classic battle in the Empire Strikes Back, and that’s exciting content for our Galaxies community, so we’re definitely committed to the product.”

The two games will co-exist thanks to their different natures, said the exec.

“I think they’re fundamentally different games. The Old Republic is very focussed on story and has a totally different time-line from Galaxies.

“Galaxies is very much focused on your career and your profession and other different MMO game mechanics as well, and community: that’s game’s been around for five years, so there’s a very strong community feel to it.”

No date for The Old Republic as yet.[Spring 2011]

CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
Old 07-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
I saw a huge amount of new enrollments and old veterans show up, some who hadn't played in years came back.
Yes, I noticed that two while I was playing the trial last month.

Quote:
Most said, they were there to pass the time until TOR came out, but some said they couldn't see themselves playing in the "Old Republic Era" (I hate that term because it suggests that the Republic of the Clone Wars was a different republic) because they preferred life in the movie era everyone grew up watching.
That's my opinion too. I never liked the "Old Republic" era, but I'm still unsure about paying for Galaxies. If a couple of months after it's release, TOR won't affect/kill SWG, I may start a subscription for it.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
DarthJacen
Forumite

Cool! I, hope, you enjoy it! While you're at it make sure you stop by this site for some home made upgrades. http://forum.modsource.org/

CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Cool! I, hope, you enjoy it! While you're at it make sure you stop by this site for some home made upgrades. http://forum.modsource.org/
Thanks. But then again, I guess I'll have to wait some months until we know for sure if SWG is still worth subscribing.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #20
DarthJacen
Forumite

The summer and winter breaks are usually the best time for serious MMOs that require a lot of effort to play. I would, suggest, you give the game a try before people go back to college, or high school.

CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
Old 07-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #21
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
The summer and winter breaks are usually the best time for serious MMOs that require a lot of effort to play. I would, suggest, you give the game a try before people go back to college, or high school.
I already used the trial. I still like the game as it is now, but I won't subscribe until I know it's safe. I won't spend money if I know the game won't last long with TOR in the market at the same time.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #22
DarthJacen
Forumite

Well, unless they change their mind, the quote I posted is the official answer from LucasArts regarding the future of Star Wars Galaxies.

Quote:
LucasArts senior online exec Tom Nichols has confirmed that the firm’s current plan is to run Star War Galaxies alongside The Old Republic for an indefinite period, and that more content is on the way for the current MMO.

“That’s the plan right now,” Nichols told VG247.com when asked specifically if the two would run together indefinitely.

“I think the market will definitely support that.”

Nichols, speaking at this week’s San Francisco launch of BioWare’s The Old Republic, said LucasArts has actively bolstered Galaxies with extra products this year, and that in-game content is in production.

“We’re still committed to Star Wars Galaxies,” he said. “A couple of things: a demonstration of that commitment includes a recent trading card game that we launched in August. It’s doing very well for us and we have a new expansion pack being planned for that.

“Shortly we’re going to release a new Hoth encounter that recreates that classic battle in the Empire Strikes Back, and that’s exciting content for our Galaxies community, so we’re definitely committed to the product.”

The two games will co-exist thanks to their different natures, said the exec.

“I think they’re fundamentally different games. The Old Republic is very focussed on story and has a totally different time-line from Galaxies.

“Galaxies is very much focused on your career and your profession and other different MMO game mechanics as well, and community: that’s game’s been around for five years, so there’s a very strong community feel to it.”

No date for The Old Republic as yet.[Spring 2011]

CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
Zwier Zak

Quote:
I already used the trial. I still like the game as it is now, but I won't subscribe until I know it's safe. I won't spend money if I know the game won't last long with TOR in the market at the same time.
I don't get that. TOR is at least a couple of moths away. And even if it would be a danger for SWG it wouldn't show until after a year or so.

You could subscribe now and play the game for over a year with no worries.

Back on topic. I think that in 2/3 years they will move SWG to a micro transaction system. I also don't think they would have to dumb it down. I mean the machines they use to run a server now will be less expensive in two years right? Sure they would still need people for the hotfixes but it shouldn't be that bad right?
Zwier Zak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwier Zak View Post
I don't get that. TOR is at least a couple of moths away. And even if it would be a danger for SWG it wouldn't show until after a year or so.
Not a year, but 3/4 months.

Quote:
You could subscribe now and play the game for over a year with no worries.
Maybe, but I wouldn't like to spend money in a possible "soon to die" scenario.

Quote:
Back on topic. I think that in 2/3 years they will move SWG to a micro transaction system.
If it's something like LotRO, I will be happy.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
Zwier Zak

Quote:
Not a year, but 3/4 months.
Can't agree with you there. After 3/4 months they would shut down 5/6 servers maybe. The game would still run for a long time before finally dying.

But still I don't think that will happen. I like SWG and I know a lot of other people will stay even after TOR comes out.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Can't agree with you there. After 3/4 months they would shut down 5/6 servers maybe. The game would still run for a long time before finally dying.
But that would be a sign that TOR is affecting SWG. That's what I'm trying to say.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #27
Zwier Zak

Quote:
But that would be a sign that TOR is affecting SWG. That's what I'm trying to say.
Oh. Yeah you're right.

Anywhoo there is a -75% promotion on Steam. One could get SWG for 5$.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #28
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Subscription fees are horrible anyway. i DO prefer the option to pay for benefits instead of pay to play. Blizzard with WoW is just ridiculous. They charge you 9 a month and then make you pay more if you want additional benefits like race change and stuff but i think they should make it free to play but pay 9 pound a month if you WANT those extra benefits.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #29
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
i DO prefer the option to pay for benefits instead of pay to play.
Same here.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #30
Zwier Zak

Now that I am actually subscribing for a longer time I must admit, pay to play IS the best possible system. The customer service is good, hot fixes every week, little to no trolling, players who actually care about their game and so on and so forth. I can't name one free MMO that has all of that.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Community > SWGalaxies.net > Star Wars Galaxies discussion > Game discussion > Should SWG be Free