lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #401
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Is that a trick question.
The trick is rhetorical :O

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #402
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Crap! It's been delayed until 2012.

Linky
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #403
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm blaming you for this, Rhett

Lynk Former is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #404
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I'm actually happy about the delay. It shows that Bioware are serious about giving us a more polished product and not a rush job.

And two new screenshots:

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #405
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Well yeah, every developer, not just BioWare should really have the guts to delay their game a little more if it'll make a difference.

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"- Shigeru Miyamoto

He should have taken his own advice with The Wind Waker... though even then it turned out pretty damn good.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #406
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
Crap! It's been delayed until 2012.

Linky
Well aren't you full of good news. Next Rhett you will be telling me Christmas is being delayed too.

Don't care just make it good. I don't want a huge delay and then get the game equivalent of the The Phantom Menace.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #407
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
I'm actually happy about the delay. It shows that Bioware are serious about giving us a more polished product and not a rush job.
Same here.. though there is that whole Skyrim 11.11.11. thing too...
Game time won't feel so crowded having to choose between the 2

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #408
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Same here.. though there is that whole Skyrim 11.11.11. thing too...
Sorry ChAiNz, but Skyrim has been delayed too. The next date that fits Bethesda date scheme is 12/12/12.

I know what you are talking about, been playing Oblivion getting ready for Skyrim. Also in case you haven't seen this, something Achilles pointed out to me: I'm going back to Morrowind very soon.

@Below - Over the president of EA's cold dead body will DLC will be kept to a minimum.

Last edited by mimartin; 05-04-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #409
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Well, as long as it puts on the polish and keeps the paid for DLC to a minimum (or even better, nonexistent), I'm fine with it.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #410
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Sorry ChAiNz, but Skyrim has been delayed too. The next date that fits Bethesda date scheme is 12/12/12.
NoooOOOOooOOOOooo.... [/vader]

Quote:
in case you haven't seen this, something Achilles pointed out to me: I'm going back to Morrowind very soon.
wow.

Guess I know what I'll be installing this weekend.. hehe

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #411
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
And two new screenshots:

Is that Earth or the Salarian homeworld?

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #412
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
It looks like Earth to me from the background buildings, but that huge structure looks like a Reaper construction. It's a lot like the structures on the Citadel. Could also be Asari.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #413
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
If i was to guess, I would say the Asari homeworld (Thessia i think?). Looks really cool, whatever it is.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #414
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
According to Eurogamer (quoting EA's John Riccitiello), the reason for the delay is that they want to retool the game for a "wider audience".

Linky

Quote:
"One of the things that Ray Muzyuka and the team up in Edmonton have done is essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG," he said, "and essentially address a much larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 began to approach.

"We're huge believers in the IP and are purposefully shifting it to address a larger market opportunity."
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #415
Arannor

Current Game: Kotor
What ever the reason for the delay it is no bother to me. I thought that releasing it this year was pushing it.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
Arannor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #416
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Oh ye gods. So ME3 is going the DA2 route then. As if it wasn't already watered down and mainstream enough.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #417
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
That really worries me. And they might get away with it easier this time, because they know a lot of people will be buying it anyway to see how the story finishes.

ME2 was already pretty much a shooter. How much further can they possibly take it and still retain any semblance of an RPG?

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #418
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Does that mean Mass Effect 1 was a watered down shooter?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #419
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I imagine that's what Astor meant and if he didn't, it's the truth anyhow. Picture related, gameplay concept art of Mass Effect:

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #420
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

pew pew pew!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #421
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

It just occurred to me that even Space Invaders didn't use a soggy cover system and actually forced you to, you know, move behind and stay in cover.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #422
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Does that mean Mass Effect 1 was a watered down shooter?
Nope, it was an RPG with shooter elements. I know this was directed at DarthP, but it's a good opportunity to try to make a point.

There is no philosophy involved in what is an RPG in the context of video game genres. Just like there's no philosophy involved in what is a Real-Time Strategy game. In order for a video game to be classified into the RPG genre of video games, it must posses a specific set of gameplay elements. The same applies to RTS games, Shooters (Third and First person), Action games, P&C Adventures and any other genres you can think of.

I think the genre confusion can happen when a developer borrows gameplay elements from another genre in order to enrich the gameplay of their game (this is the reason most "modern RPGs" give the player the ability to talk to people like he can in good old LucasArts adventure games). This is especially the case if a game is marketed as belonging to base genre A while borrowing elements from genre B, when in fact it belongs to base genre B and borrows elements from genre A.

Since we're talking about RPGs, here are some related examples.

Darksiders was an Action Adventure game. There's no doubt about it - it possessed all gameplay elements of such a game, but it also borrowed certain RPG elements to enrich its gameplay. Namely, you had some light progression in the form of primary weapon level ups gained by gathering enough experience (the gathering was done by killing enemies), as well as a limited inventory and weapon upgrades. You could also buy new/upgrade your weapon combos and abilities at Vulgrim's store. So you could say this game was an Action Adventure with RPG elements.
A similar example would be the Assassin's Creed game series (specifically ACII and AC:B).

On the other hand a more recent example of an action RPG would be Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. This game has all the elements of a classic RPG - inventory with lots of slots, attributes, a bunch of skills (where each skill/spell can be upgraded at least five times), quests, character progression; to name a few. What this game also has is real-time combat (also labeled as button-mashing combat by some) where one click equals one weapon swing (or one arrow shot) and where you have to position your character yourself in order for that swing/shot to count - similarly to the above mentioned Darksiders, or AC, or even Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy. You can also jump/roll around to avoid enemy attacks, but the damage you deal is calculated based on the equipped weapons and appropriate attributes. After a certain point in the game, you will be able to turn into a dragon at will and fly around and burn stuff like a dragon tends to do. So there's even a flying element in there.
A similar example would be Two Worlds II.

Keeping all this in mind, it is correct to say that Mass Effect 2 is a Third-Person Shooter with RPG elements, while ME1 is an RPG with shooter elements. And there's nothing wrong with that. Both games have their good and bad sides, just as each genre has its good and bad sides. It is important, however, to differentiate them in order to avoid confusion.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #423
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
ME2 was already pretty much a shooter. How much further can they possibly take it and still retain any semblance of an RPG?
I'm having trouble figuring this out as well...
What more can they do?
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #424
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ igyman: I feel so used...

Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #425
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
BioWare aims to "enrich" Mass Effect 3's role-playing mechanics without burdening players with heaps of trivial statistics that barely impinge on the action, according to senior designer Christina Norman.

"We want to enrich the role-playing aspects of the game, while making sure that they're always meaningful in combat," Norman told OXM when asked whether the threequel's fleet-footed tactical gunplay might clash with its RPG elements.

"We don't want to have any meaningless behind-the-scenes stat games, where the output is very minor in combat. Every single thing you do has a real impact in the battle."

Fans of Mass Effect 2 might not notice many of the alterations to the combat system at first, Norman went on.

"We got combat the way we wanted it for ME2, so you're going to feel right at home straight away. But there are so many subtle improvements that you'll miss them if you go back."
Source

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #426
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm not sure what the "meaningless behind-the-scenes stat games" refers to. There are no combat character stats in ME - it's all twitch-based. I can only assume it is some reference to the scaling damage of powers and weapons, as there is nothing else you could really term a "stat".

The ME system is already about as bare-boned as it can be without being a pure shooter in the vein of Gears of War. I can't see how on the one hand you can say you are bringing back RPG elements that were stripped out in ME2, yet on the other hand say you're are streamlining elements out.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #427
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
@ igyman: I feel so used...
It felt awesome, just admit it. After all it was all in the name of education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I can't see how on the one hand you can say you are bringing back RPG elements that were stripped out in ME2, yet on the other hand say you're are streamlining elements out.
I have to agree with you on that one. It's very confusing and, like pretty much everything they said about ME3 so far, worrying. Except the screenshots, they look cool.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #428
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
I have to agree with you on that one. It's very confusing and, like pretty much everything they said about ME3 so far, worrying. Except the screenshots, they look cool.
Well, RPG is more then only Stats on skills and whatnot, who get used in a "Dice" rolling system. It was pretty clear they sort of kicked that out in ME-2.

Mayhaps, teh developpers are bringing back a more slightly elaborate item upgrade thing and armours? That could be considered an RPG aspect aswell.

Then ofcourse they did say they'd bring back more indepth stat stuff... I could see they offer you more choices to spend points in when you level up, sort of mini skill tree's?

Ack... idiots >_<

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #429
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
Well, RPG is more then only Stats on skills and whatnot, who get used in a "Dice" rolling system. It was pretty clear they sort of kicked that out in ME-2.

Mayhaps, teh developpers are bringing back a more slightly elaborate item upgrade thing and armours? That could be considered an RPG aspect aswell.

Then ofcourse they did say they'd bring back more indepth stat stuff... I could see they offer you more choices to spend points in when you level up, sort of mini skill tree's?

Ack... idiots >_<
I think all of that was already mentioned by the devs, exept for the armors which they apparently don´t like.

And i want separate charm and intimidation skills back...

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #430
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Just a heads up - it seems ME1 is $5 and ME2 is $10 today on Steam, for anyone that doesn't already have them (or only has the console versions).
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #431
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post

Ack... idiots >_<
You are right when you say that a RPG video game is more than just stats, but that applies to all the other elements you mentioned as well - you can't just put some weapon upgrades, or just put some kind of inventory in a game and call it an RPG.
If you've read my previous post (the long one), then you should see that this is precisely one of two points I was trying to make - if you want to classify a game as belonging to a certain genre, then it needs to have a specific set of gameplay elements that defines that genre of video games. Not just one or two elements, but the whole set. This applies to any genre, not just RPGs.

My other point is that players need to understand this in order to successfully differentiate between, for example, an Action RPG (RPG with elements of action games) and an Action game with RPG elements.

Last edited by igyman; 05-06-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #432
mstr kenobi
Rookie

PC gamer scans of ME3, maaaaaajor spoilers.

http://imgur.com/a/C5Q82#fLXmO

Show spoiler
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #433
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
@ above spoilers

spoiler:
Not too much of a surprise considering some of the stuff they unveiled in the comics. TIM got his shiny eyes from Reaper tech, so I kinda figured it would only be a matter of time before we got some sort of OMGTIM=REAPARZ!!!1!!11 plot twist
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #434
mstr kenobi
Rookie

I've always knew it was coming...
But i had hope they wouldn't go for it.

Really pissed on how Renegades continue to get the shaft...
Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #435
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi View Post
Show spoiler
Show spoiler
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #436
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Urgh. So lame and predictable.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #437
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Urgh. So lame and predictable.
Depending on how it is done, true. However, since I don't know how it will be incorporated into the story I will hold off my judgment. What do you really expect from a company that biggest plot twist to date was in KOTOR, which by the way was lame and predictable?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #438
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
That "plot twist" re TIM and Co. makes sense, even if predictable and lame. Besides, I'll also w/hold judgement till I see what they do w/ME3. Still, I plan to go into this w/no real expectations beyond it being at least as good/no worse than the first two games.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 05-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #439
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
At least Tali is confirmed as being back as a permanent squad member. Not that there was much doubt - I'm pretty sure they would have been lynched if it were otherwise.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #440
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Yeah, and ChAiNz would have been at the front of the mob building a fire under the tree branch they hanged them from.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3