lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Onasi/Point Man family is moving to PA
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
The Onasi/Point Man family is moving to PA

Well, it looked like hubby's job was going to be eliminated as soon as the employer could be long enough past the Federal regs on holding a service member's job during their deployment, so he started looking around for a job.

The good news: He found a great job that is basically a dream job for him, and pays almost 20% more than what he's making now. I may actually be able to retire and spend more time with my kids. Since my daughter's ADHD is causing her to really struggle with math, this will be a good thing for us. The company is paying all relocation costs and is moving us, and offering great benefits. It's ruly an amazing opportunity for us.

The bad news: it requires a cross country move from WI to PA, away from family and the home and community we've been in for 11 years. Selling a home right now is a huge challenge anywhere.

We'll be living not too far from Harrisburg, Hershey, Gettysburg, and Lancaster. Anyone have any tips on the area, remodeling, moving, surviving home sales, fun places to visit in that region, and all that jazz?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 

You know what to do, Jae.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

The Onasi Family moving to PA? Remember to consult your consigliori and up your stake in the drugs, human trafficking and arms trafficking sectors ASAP. It's harder to invest in them later, and the element of surprise is always the biggest bonus for enterprising families. Happy organised crime!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Road trip!

I'm glad that things are working out in terms of benefits and pay to keep the family afloat. I know that it's going to be hard moving away from family and friends. Still just look forward head, eyes steady and heart open and things will go from there. Good luck Jae!

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
We'll be living not too far from Harrisburg, Hershey, Gettysburg, and Lancaster. Anyone have any tips on the area, remodeling, moving, surviving home sales, fun places to visit in that region, and all that jazz?
If you dig up a cannonball, don't put it in the car. Trust me, my butt still stings from the beating my step-dad gave me.

Something about they can explode.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
PA is short for...?

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
PA is short for...?
Pennsylvania.. I'm assuming (USA)

Jae, be careful on the roads.. last time I drove through, I hit a freaking' pothole on the interstate

It's been awhile, so I REALLY hope they got those fixed (yeah, plural)... seriously, worst kept interstates I've ever driven on. Hitting a pothole at 60mph is NOT fun

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
I've been to Harrisburg before, but it was in 4th grade, so I don't remember too much other then touring the state capital. Lancaster is really nice, with all the Amish folk and stuff (they make excellent shoo-fly pie . I also believe you can tour an Amish farm there, IIRC). Hershey is also a nice area, with the lampposts there shaped like Hershey Kisses, and it always seems to smell like chocolate. Never been to Gettysburg, but heard that the old battlefield is very nice.

For amusement parks, Hershey has Hershey Park. It's a whole lot of fun, with all the roller coasters, water park, the factory tour, pretty much stuff for the entire family. There's another amusement park in Lancaster, Dutch Wonderland, but it's more for younger kids, so depending on how old your kids are, Jae, you might want to keep it in mind.

As for the area, PA is semi-rural. I've yet to see suburbia in the state. That's not to say there aren't towns; there are, but it's often more like villages instead. It's nice to look at, but sometimes I wish it was more developed, as alot of the theaters and malls near me are 20-30 minute drives in Delaware. Not sure about the area you're moving to, though.

Hope all of that helps.

P.S. I live roughly 45 min - 1 hour from Lancaster.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Since my daughter's ADHD is causing her to really struggle with math
You should have had an azn kid, I've never struggled at math, Engrish on the other hand...

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Yeah, I'd also would've liked to see you try and explain that one to Pointman when she was born as an azn kid.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
@Pho3nix: PA is short for Pennsylvania, yes. Sorry about that lack of explanation!

@ Ping: We'll be living in or near a town of about 40k, so not too bad. I think we're only going to be about an hour from Baltimore, so 'civilization' won't be too far off. After having lived in Chicago for about 3 years and then between Chicago and Milwaukee for a good half or more of my life, I'll be glad to get out of the city rat-race and slow down.

It'll also be nice not to have such bitter cold in the winter as WI gets.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
@Pho3nix: PA is short for Pennsylvania, yes. Sorry about that lack of explanation!
Wait, you're not moving to Palermo, Sicily? Oh.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Baltimore ... 'civilization'

Made my day.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
@ Ping: We'll be living in or near a town of about 40k, so not too bad. I think we're only going to be about an hour from Baltimore, so 'civilization' won't be too far off. After having lived in Chicago for about 3 years and then between Chicago and Milwaukee for a good half or more of my life, I'll be glad to get out of the city rat-race and slow down.

I live a little more than an hour away from Baltimore myself, though it's far enough we don't visit often. Winters might not be bitter cold in PA, but the snow tends to just accumulate like crazy.

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post

It's been awhile, so I REALLY hope they got those fixed (yeah, plural)... seriously, worst kept interstates I've ever driven on. Hitting a pothole at 60mph is NOT fun
I'll believe ya on the interstate potholes but if they are anything like the ones here in San Berdu then hitting them at any speed is not fun

Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
You're still in the States though...Come to Scotland we'll get our independence soon

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Ugh. Moving blows - and moving across a country... I can't even fathom how much I'd hate it. Hope it all goes well for you guys.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Moving to another country is much harder... especially if it's on a different land mass/continent.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Moving to another country is much harder... especially if it's on a different land mass/continent.
I guess one can get used to the change. Until I was 22, I moved every 2-3 yrs and then I stopped and started to get bored to stay at the same place for longer (I got a job that requires travel to compensate).

@ Jae: Good luck with the move. I hope everything will go as planned. If you ever visit Montreal/Quebec (you won't be very far) let me know - beware of the potholes on your way though: it looks like its been raining meteorites here...
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #20
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ D3: Yeah, well you're some kind of freaky cross-continental nomad.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Long moves can be very stressful. I moved from Arizona to Washington in 2008. Good luck!

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #22
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I moved from Finland to Sweden in 2005 and then back again in 2008... **** sucks

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #23
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
just two things to remember: Penn State and Steelers are like God and Jesus around there. you'd probably be OK with the Bears stuff, but you might want to reconsider anything red, white, and "Buckeye" printed....

oh yeah, and if you do want some roller coasters in your future, Kennywood (outside Pittsburgh) is a much more thrilling proposition than Hershey. you'll just miss out on the chocolate.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #24
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Ugh, I moved from Minnesota out to the East Coast in 2002 (22 hour drive non-stop was fun!), and I go to school near the area you'll be in.

First of all, you'll probably have a good time taking your family to Hershey Park! Great amusement park and just a really fun place to visit in general (and it smells wonderful)! Also, keep in mind that Six Flags is only a state over, so if you find yourself in Jersey, that'll help your thrill-seeking out if you're looking for it

I don't know how much you follow sports, but I live and die by Minnesota sports, and I've survived in the East for over 8 years now. You'll find a very healthy balance of all different kinds of fans for football and hockey. Since you'll be in Eastern PA, you'll meet a lot of Ravens, Steelers, Redskins, and Eagles fans based on the group of people you are around. As for baseball, it's almost all Phillies fans (although you'll find some Orioles fans as well). For hockey, you'll be around Caps and Flyers fans. Basketball...um...mostly Sixers fans, but I don't hear too much about that sport.

If you're looking for any kind of local sports, the York Revolution are the local "minor league" team in York (even though they're not really minor league in technical terms). Lancaster also has a team in the same league as well. The Harrisburg Senators are an ACTUAL minor league team affiliated with the Washington Nationals. They always provide a good time for a nice, cheap, relaxing evening of baseball. I hear the Hershey Bears are good too (minor league hockey).

Gettysburg, of course, you HAVE to visit the battlefield. I go to school in the area, and I've only been there once (when I was a kid), but it still sticks with me to this day. A truly amazing experience.

If you do find yourself in Harrisburg or Lancaster (or maybe even York), you're not too far out of Baltimore either which is a great city (see: Inner Harbor).

Since I don't live in the area full-time, I can't give you too much insight on the home-buying aspect of the area...sorry. If you plan on being there through your daughter's educational career and beyond, there are some GREAT colleges close to home if that is your/her cup of tea, but that is a conversation for much later I'm sure!

One thing that I will warn you about is the driving. I've driven all over the country...and as a whole...there are no WORSE drivers than those in PA. Where New York drivers are fast and dangerous, and midwest drivers can be just plain slow, Pennsylvania drivers are just the most OBVLIVIOUS people behind the wheel known to man. Keep your eyes open (even in parking lots!).

The winters can be CRAZY in PA! While it may not get as cold as I was used to in Minnesota (which I'm sure is comparable to Wisconsin), it sure snows like crazy. The only difference...Pennsylvania is 10000x less prepared to deal with the snow in terms of equipment and manpower than midwest states, so there will be several days out of the year where you can't really leave your house at all because the roads won't be cleared for a loooong time - it's great for school cancellations though

Hope that you find at least some of this information helpful/relevant. If you do have any more questions about the area, let me know! You're lucky you're moving to PA and not Jersey or New York since the culture shock from WI won't be nearly as bad as the people are actually quite similar to midwesterners in many ways! Best of luck!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #25
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
I know I hated my first big move when I was 8. By the time I was about to head off to uni though, I was deadly bored of the new place, so I can only imagine how boring it would've been had I not moved. Since then I've taken the D3 route of a travel-heavy job.

If your kids are anything like I was, they'll be pretty upset about going so far away from their friends. However, if they're younger than high-school age, realistically, they'd most likely drift apart from their current friends and make new ones anyway. Although that's obviously not a comfort to them in the short term, I've found it's easier to later resume a friendship with someone I moved away from, as opposed to gradually drifted apart from. Also, especially with this fancy internet thing, nowadays it's far easier to stay in touch with really good friends than it would've been in the past.

And new places and people are fun.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
Confederal_Republic
Rookie

Quote:

Baltimore's a cesspool. Try not to trip over the mountains of cocaine you'll likely encounter whenever you're on foot in that area. If, for some reason, you ever need to visit eastern Baltimore, carry a loaded gun with you. If you're a liberal, meditate on your irrational fear of weaponry, and carry a loaded gun anyway. Getting chased away by armed gangbangers isn't fun, and I can tell you that from experience.

Real estate sucks everywhere - blame the federal government. Either way, I hope you like PA - I know I do.
Confederal_Republic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I could have sworn I posted in this thread... or maybe I'm confused because you told me on Skype... I donno...

Anyway, Congrats on Jimbo's new job! I guess this means you'll be able to get a lot more game time in with your retirement. That's always a good thing.

Oh, and stay away from Philly. They riot for anything there. Team loses: riot. Team wins: riot. Player spits on the sideline: riot.

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #28
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54 View Post
Oh, and stay away from Philly. They riot for anything there. Team loses: riot. Team wins: riot. Player spits on the sideline: riot.
It's Chester you want to stay away from. Philadelphia is just a little dirty.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #29
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Gettysburg, of course, you HAVE to visit the battlefield. I go to school in the area, and I've only been there once (when I was a kid), but it still sticks with me to this day. A truly amazing experience.
QFT

I really don't know how to describe it, but we went on a family vacation when I was 13 years old (I know this because that was the one and only vacation my family ever took as two weeks cooped up in a car with a 13,14 and 15 year olds was too much for my parents). My most vivid memory of the vacation is Gettysburg. All three of us had/have the reverence of a gnat, but at Gettysburg we spoke like we were in a church attending the funeral of a favorite aunt. Other than the great cannonball incident later that day away from Gettysburg, that was the only day of peace for my poor stepfather had that entire vacation.

The knowledge that nearly 8,000 people died and around another 27,000 were wounded on those grounds profoundly affected the three of us that day. Besides the Alamo, I don’t believe I have ever been moved to that extent from a historical site (I have to say Alamo it is a Texas law).

Last edited by mimartin; 05-17-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #30
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Besides the Alamo, I don’t believe I have ever been moved to that extent from a historical site (I have to say Alamo it is a Texas law).
Yeah.. imagine how bad I have it having grown up in San Antonio. I'm required to mention the Alamo every time someone mentions Mexico.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by mimartin; 05-17-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: edited quote. Sight =/= Site
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #31
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Pfft. You Americans. I live in the city where Constantine the Great was proclaimed emperor of Western Europe. Now that's history.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #32
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Pfft. You Americans. I live in the city where Constantine the Great was proclaimed emperor of Western Europe. Now that's history.
Yeah, because America didn't exist until 1492 when it magically appeared... It's not like there were natives here. It just rose up out of the water

Look just because you have more history doesn't mean that we don't have history here. And the Civil War was the bloodiest war in OUR history. Brothers against brothers. Family fighting family.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #33
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Family fighting family.
My family must believe the Civil War is still going on.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
Jae Onasi

Visiting Gettysburg will probably be like how I felt visiting the Vietnam war memorial or watching the ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns--solemn and rather somber.

@Ping and urluckyday--I live right on Lake Michigan, and we can get some epic snowfalls--80 inches a year is not unusual, and the winter before last I think we hit almost 120. So, 30 or so inches is going to be a breeze in comparison. Most rural areas can't handle any snowfall well. I lived in Missouri for about 6 years for undergrad, and I'm used to the "OMG 1 inch of snow CLOSE EVERYTHING!!" mentality, as well as amused.

@Liverandbacon and Darth333--I moved so often during my college years that I was very happy to settle down for a good long time. I'm looking forward to seeing a new part of the country, however. The only bad thing is we're moving the kids out of a terrific school district with an outstanding music program, and trying to figure out which school districts are the best in any given town is extremely difficult. I _think_ we found a good one, but it'll be hard to tell until we actually get there.

@Pavlos--I promise to come see York if I ever make it to the UK for a visit. I love history, no matter how long or short it may be.

@Ping and Confederal--I lived in Chicago for awhile, and still go down there regularly, so I've seen some pretty rough areas. Still, it's nice to know which ones to stay away from.

@stingerhs--give up rooting for OSU? Are you nuts?
I'm looking forward to cheering for the Cubs at a Nationals game.
I do enjoy minor league baseball a lot--it's nice to know there will be a team nearby.

Thanks for all the tips! Looks like there will plenty of cool stuff for us to do.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #35
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Looking at what urluckyday wrote, I have to agree with everything stated in his lengthy post. PA drivers seem to drift into the other lane on occasion...

And to add to the sports, it seems baseball is the most popular (then again, I live closer to Philly, so there might be a regional difference) with football as a second. As I am a soccer fan (and get more crap than I should because of it :¬: ), I don't follow either, but anyone can tell you that Philly sports teams are characterized by two things: nasty fans (smoke bombs get thrown when the Union scores goals, for example), and usually making it to the playoffs of their respective leagues (usually). Eagles are the NFL team, 76ers in NBA, Flyers in NHL, Phillies in MLB, and the Union for MLS; listed for your convenience.

Edit: Forgot to mention why to stay away from Chester: it's Philly's ghetto, right outside of the city. Worst place I have ever seen.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #36
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
It's Chester you want to stay away from. Philadelphia is just a little dirty.
Come on now. Philly is the city of brotherly love ya know

I've been to the East but unfortunately it has been limited to a visiting experience. I gave a conference in Baltimore and spent a day on the train to get to DC.

If anything I'd give kudos to the train systems in the major cities. Public transportation is the best way to see the types of characters that live in town. My more vivid experiences came when I lived in Chicago for a year and man the people I met there...

Glad that jimbo got the job and I hope things work out in the end for you Mama Jae.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #37
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12 View Post
Come on now. Philly is the city of brotherly love ya know
In name only. The murder rate is quite shocking.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #38
Jae Onasi

I had to take a licensing test in Chicago to practice in IL when I first moved up there from our brief stint in Texas. My hubby assured me the L-trains were completely safe. So, I got on and rode the green line down to my stop which was on the South side of Chicago. Right at the Robert Taylor projects--which have since been torn down because they were that crime-ridden they'd pretty much been destroyed. Two stops before my stop, some guys got on and walked through the train, selling crack. I was dismayed to discover they got off at the same stop I got off at. They didn't seem to mind, and fortunately we ended up walking off in different directions. It didn't take me long to realize that I was not safe even in broad daylight, but fortunately it was early enough in the day that most of the drug dealers and crackheads were still asleep. My sister, who has been living in Chicago for the last 20-ish years, freaked out when she found out I'd been walking through one of the most dangerous places in the city--and survived just fine, but I think I had an angel or two watching out for me that day.

@JediMaster12--heh--your comment about the characters on the trains reminded me of this Bill Cosby story. The sound is pretty low so you might have to turn it up. Anyone who's ridden public transportation in a big city will appreciate it. It's clean, too.
View page
YouTube Video

Old 05-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #39
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
In name only. The murder rate is quite shocking.
City is fun to wander around in.

@Jae - Check out South Street and Broad Street at night if you and your husband are looking for a cool place to stroll around in for a while after dinner!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > The Onasi/Point Man family is moving to PA