lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: SWG is Saved !!!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
SWG is Saved !!!

www.swgemu.com

it is for real
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,144
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Thumbs down




Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Swgemu

least i don't have to worry about it shutting down
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Problem is it has the same problems Pre-CU had at launch. Lack of content, bugs, crashes, lack of space, overly complex(for most), and lack of content. Not to mention that they haven't got a stable version yet.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
yay

correct , but at least ..... again , i can get a swg fix ..... that lucas can't take away cause their greedy
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Actually if Lucasarts felt it was detrimental to their IP, they could shut it down in a heartbeat. They won't at this time, but... It could happen.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Actually if Lucasarts felt it was detrimental to their IP, they could shut it down in a heartbeat. They won't at this time, but... It could happen.
no they cannot .... please read the emu FAQ

theirs no way they can be shut down..... it's a donation based company... non profit organization
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
It's a Lucas owned IP. There is the possibility of it being shut down. There's a number of legal tricks that should LucasArts find it necessary, they could shut it down. Not to mention, they could shut it down by default by keeping the lawyers on the site to the point htat they devs there feel it just isn't worth the headache.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Rogue15
Reconnaissance Specialist
 
Rogue15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,525
Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer 10 year veteran! 
is star wars combine still kicking?


Battle is a pure form of expression. It is heart and discipline, reduced to movement and motion. In battle, the words are swept away, giving way to actions-- mercy, sacrifice, anger, fear. These are pure moments of expression.
Rogue15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
It's a Lucas owned IP. There is the possibility of it being shut down. There's a number of legal tricks that should LucasArts find it necessary, they could shut it down. Not to mention, they could shut it down by default by keeping the lawyers on the site to the point htat they devs there feel it just isn't worth the headache.
they tried to get it taken down already.....are you that blind to just read the FAQ on their website ?

i wouldn't be suprised if lucasarts condone's the creation of swgemu..... it would be a good idea to back them seeing as their closing the SOE version

SWG-EMU cannot be shut down by lawyers , courts , or anything IP related PERIOD
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Jedimonkeylizard
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust906 View Post
they tried to get it taken down already.....are you that blind to just read the FAQ on their website ?

i wouldn't be suprised if lucasarts condone's the creation of swgemu..... it would be a good idea to back them seeing as their closing the SOE version

SWG-EMU cannot be shut down by lawyers , courts , or anything IP related PERIOD
If LA wants to ....they can do it. They know where it is...they know the code.
Jedimonkeylizard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Bendan
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
You OBVIOUSLY know nothing about copyright and intellectual property laws. If Lucas Arts had tried to shut down any SWG EMU it would already be history. No matter how many disclaimers the EMU guys put in a FAQ the fact remains the EMU is a violation of the EULA because you are editing the client side code to create your own server.
If Lucas Arts wants the EMU gone it will be gone so fast your head will spin.
Bendan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
Onyxs
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust906 View Post
they tried to get it taken down already.....are you that blind to just read the FAQ on their website ?

i wouldn't be suprised if lucasarts condone's the creation of swgemu..... it would be a good idea to back them seeing as their closing the SOE version

SWG-EMU cannot be shut down by lawyers , courts , or anything IP related PERIOD
SOE is the one who'd have a hard time getting it shut-down.

For Lucas Arts though, there is nothing that the EMU folks could do if/when they decide to get it shut down.

It has nothing to do with non-profit or even with the SWG game code (whether original or not). The violation is in using the Star Wars brand and material in an unauthorized and unlicensed manner. Copyright laws do not state that use of someone else's intellectual property is ok as long as you're not making a profit. Unauthorized use is unauthorized use and in that regard, the EMU is in clear violation of copyright laws.

LA has chosen not to act on it in the past but that doesn't mean they'll continue to turn a blind eye. Especially considering they've shut down the version of the game that was still making a profit for them.
Onyxs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendan View Post
You OBVIOUSLY know nothing about copyright and intellectual property laws. If Lucas Arts had tried to shut down any SWG EMU it would already be history. No matter how many disclaimers the EMU guys put in a FAQ the fact remains the EMU is a violation of the EULA because you are editing the client side code to create your own server.
If Lucas Arts wants the EMU gone it will be gone so fast your head will spin.
here we go

wrong again
the entire code is made of the devs at SWG-emu and absolutely NONE of lucas-arts code was used at all..... the entire game was recoded from the ground up and therefore , is grounds to say , your all wrong

no client side code editing , and it's their own code.......arguement dead

IT CANNOT BE TAKEN DOWN BY LA period.......the end
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxs View Post
SOE is the one who'd have a hard time getting it shut-down.

For Lucas Arts though, there is nothing that the EMU folks could do if/when they decide to get it shut down.

It has nothing to do with non-profit or even with the SWG game code (whether original or not). The violation is in using the Star Wars brand and material in an unauthorized and unlicensed manner. Copyright laws do not state that use of someone else's intellectual property is ok as long as you're not making a profit. Unauthorized use is unauthorized use and in that regard, the EMU is in clear violation of copyright laws.

LA has chosen not to act on it in the past but that doesn't mean they'll continue to turn a blind eye. Especially considering they've shut down the version of the game that was still making a profit for them.
LA has acted , and failed !! what don't you get
you cannot persue people who distribute items recreated from the ground up......and using the brand name can't be grounds for a suit because "it is a project"

you cannot sue a project for using a name when it is not marketable what-so-ever

you cannot sue anyone who distributes a project for no personal gain

if no profit is made on the brand (even without the permission to use) you cannot sue.......CAUSE THEY DIDN"T MAKE ANYTHING YOU CAN SUE FOR

IP only counts when your going to market something , otherwise , your just yelling into my ear , when i have a earplug in
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Onyxs
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust906 View Post
here we go

wrong again
the entire code is made of the devs at SWG-emu and absolutely NONE of lucas-arts code was used at all..... the entire game was recoded from the ground up and therefore , is grounds to say , your all wrong

no client side code editing , and it's their own code.......arguement dead

IT CANNOT BE TAKEN DOWN BY LA period.......the end
LOL!

Read my post immediately before your last one.

It has NOTHING to do with the game's code at all. The fact that it is original code only protects them from SOE.

Or do you perhaps think that Lucas Arts might not own all rights and marks of the Star Wars brand? They do. And anyone who uses it must get approval or they must cease and desist if asked.

So yes, argument = dead. But not in the manner I think you hope.
Onyxs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxs View Post
SOE is the one who'd have a hard time getting it shut-down.

For Lucas Arts though, there is nothing that the EMU folks could do if/when they decide to get it shut down.

It has nothing to do with non-profit or even with the SWG game code (whether original or not). The violation is in using the Star Wars brand and material in an unauthorized and unlicensed manner. Copyright laws do not state that use of someone else's intellectual property is ok as long as you're not making a profit. Unauthorized use is unauthorized use and in that regard, the EMU is in clear violation of copyright laws.

LA has chosen not to act on it in the past but that doesn't mean they'll continue to turn a blind eye. Especially considering they've shut down the version of the game that was still making a profit for them.
and what do you think they can do ?
they can't physically tell the EMU guys to pull the game down , or they would have ..... you don't think george lucas has some of the best IP lawyers ?

they can't sue , cause to sue you had to have made some money of some type to feel the need for compensation and that would have to be BRAND only
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
Onyxs
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust906 View Post
LA has acted , and failed !! what don't you get
you cannot persue people who distribute items recreated from the ground up......and using the brand name can't be grounds for a suit because "it is a project"

you cannot sue a project for using a name when it is not marketable what-so-ever

you cannot sue anyone who distributes a project for no personal gain

if no profit is made on the brand (even without the permission to use) you cannot sue.......CAUSE THEY DIDN"T MAKE ANYTHING YOU CAN SUE FOR

IP only counts when your going to market something , otherwise , your just yelling into my ear , when i have a earplug in
Copyright is copyright. And if you use someone's copyrighted intellectual property without permission you are in violation of the copyright.

Whether or not profit is made would be taken into consideration when determining whether damages are awarded. That's all. It doesn't change the fact that a violation has happened nor would it change the legal action of a judge who would order that the copyrighted material be removed.

If the copyright owner chooses to ignore it, you aren't out anything. If the copyright owner decides to tell you to cease and desist, then you must.

I'd love to see where it states Lucas Arts made attempts in the past. SOE might have, but their actions would be based on something different and for them it's not as cut and dried.
Onyxs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxs View Post
LOL!

Read my post immediately before your last one.

It has NOTHING to do with the game's code at all. The fact that it is original code only protects them from SOE.

Or do you perhaps think that Lucas Arts might not own all rights and marks of the Star Wars brand? They do. And anyone who uses it must get approval or they must cease and desist if asked.

So yes, argument = dead. But not in the manner I think you hope.
i bought the disks ....... i own the property , and im using it to connect to another server WHICH , btw , has nothing to do with Lucas , so it's on the computer i bought the disks to play with... where's the arguement now ?

so , they gonna sue me ? tell me i can't play ? take my disks away ?
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxs View Post
Copyright is copyright. And if you use someone's copyrighted intellectual property without permission you are in violation of the copyright.

Whether or not profit is made would be taken into consideration when determining whether damages are awarded. That's all. It doesn't change the fact that a violation has happened nor would it change the legal action of a judge who would order that the copyrighted material be removed.

If the copyright owner chooses to ignore it, you aren't out anything. If the copyright owner decides to tell you to cease and desist, then you must.

I'd love to see where it states Lucas Arts made attempts in the past. SOE might have, but their actions would be based on something different and for them it's not as cut and dried.
and you also fail to see the words project ....... this game is only available to people who register ...... and is not a marketed item at all

since when is it legal to sue someone before a production can even take place

because to play the game , you have to agree to their TOS ...... which would stop any potential lawsuit to begin with

i own my disks , so therefore i can play SWG from wherever i choose , and no you can't say what server i can connect to
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
Onyxs
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust906 View Post
i bought the disks ....... i own the property , and im using it to connect to another server WHICH , btw , has nothing to do with Lucas , so it's on the computer i bought the disks to play with... where's the arguement now ?

so , they gonna sue me ? tell me i can't play ? take my disks away ?
1) You purchased a license to use the software. You don't own the software lol.

2) The intellectual property in this case is the name "Star Wars" and the various parts of the brand which appear throughout the game. No one owns that property other than Lucas Arts. And only Lucas Arts has the legal right to determine how the Star Wars name and branding is used. That is what copyright is.

3) This is bordering on ridiculous. So I'll simply say that sometimes it benefits the copyright holder to NOT go after violators. Such has been the case with the EMU up until now however going forward is anybody's guess. Lucas Arts may continue to ignore it. They may not. Given their reasoning for shutting down SWG, my guess is that they'll pursue it at some point in the not too distant future.
Onyxs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #22
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxs View Post
1) You purchased a license to use the software. You don't own the software lol.

2) The intellectual property in this case is the name "Star Wars" and the various parts of the brand which appear throughout the game. No one owns that property other than Lucas Arts. And only Lucas Arts has the legal right to determine how the Star Wars name and branding is used. That is what copyright is.

3) This is bordering on ridiculous. So I'll simply say that sometimes it benefits the copyright holder to NOT go after violators. Such has been the case with the EMU up until now however going forward is anybody's guess. Lucas Arts may continue to ignore it. They may not. Given their reasoning for shutting down SWG, my guess is that they'll pursue it at some point in the not too distant future.
damn for someone with great puncuation and grammar.....Swg emu is still there and they need people like you to persue people they can't themselves

lucas-arts talked to swg-emu in 2004
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=168673

they never disclosed any information
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #23
Onyxs
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust906 View Post

because to play the game , you have to agree to their TOS ...... which would stop any potential lawsuit to begin with
ROFL!!

Please show me where Lucas Arts has provided a TOS The one you are referring to is only between the EMU folks and someone who plays their game. It has ZERO to do with this discussion.

I really suggest you do some reading on what copyright is and isn't.
Onyxs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxs View Post
ROFL!!

Please show me where Lucas Arts has provided a TOS The one you are referring to is only between the EMU folks and someone who plays their game. It has ZERO to do with this discussion.

I really suggest you do some reading on what copyright is and isn't.
yea so to know theirs star wars content in the game , you have to agree to a TOS to play it .......

how you gonna persue having said agreed to a TOS
PLUS

and to halt your next post......you could physically pick up the servers , and move them to a location where your "IP" or copyright's don't fly
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #25
Mailliw
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust906 View Post
and you also fail to see the words project ....... this game is only available to people who register ...... and is not a marketed item at all

since when is it legal to sue someone before a production can even take place

because to play the game , you have to agree to their TOS ...... which would stop any potential lawsuit to begin with

i own my disks , so therefore i can play SWG from wherever i choose , and no you can't say what server i can connect to

I think what Onyxs is trying to say here, is that the Star Wars Theme, Iconic Characters and the Lightsaber in general, are all LucasArts/George Lucas' IP, and that they can step in at any time to say: "Hey, those are OUR ideas and fictional characters, and unless you pay us to use such material you will cease and desist from use or we will take you to court. Even though you're not making a profit from it, WE will determine a proper amount you should be penalized for."

Now if SWGEmu went as far as to pull out all the iconic characters and lightsaber animations (replaced with simple swords), I don't think they would be able to do anything. But as long as all the aforementioned IP material remains, they may have something to say about it.

"Can they?" you say? Well, did you hear about the recent event where this bar was showing all the SW movies back to back (NOT charging admission) to those that came, only to get a cease and desist order from the courts by LA/GL at the last minute, and to disperse of the gathering immediately? This DID happen, and although they (the bar) did BUY the movies for replay, they could not have a gathering of people to watch them. A pisspoor move by LA/GL? Perhaps... but it just goes to show that although you did pay for a portion of the IP, it's not your to do with as you please.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the EMU - Pre-CU/NGEEmu/or otherwise. But again, if LA/GL deems it necessary to pull the plug, then at any time they would have the right to, F2P or not.
Mailliw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #26
dust906
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailliw View Post
I think what Onyxs is trying to say here, is that the Star Wars Theme, Iconic Characters and the Lightsaber in general, are all LucasArts/George Lucas' IP, and that they can step in at any time to say: "Hey, those are OUR ideas and fictional characters, and unless you pay us to use such material you will cease and desist from use or we will take you to court. Even though you're not making a profit from it, WE will determine a proper amount you should be penalized for."

Now if SWGEmu went as far as to pull out all the iconic characters and lightsaber animations (replaced with simple swords), I don't think they would be able to do anything. But as long as all the aforementioned IP material remains, they may have something to say about it.

"Can they?" you say? Well, did you hear about the recent event where this bar was showing all the SW movies back to back (NOT charging admission) to those that came, only to get a cease and desist order from the courts by LA/GL at the last minute, and to disperse of the gathering immediately? This DID happen, and although they (the bar) did BUY the movies for replay, they could not have a gathering of people to watch them. A pisspoor move by LA/GL? Perhaps... but it just goes to show that although you did pay for a portion of the IP, it's not your to do with as you please.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the EMU - Pre-CU/NGEEmu/or otherwise. But again, if LA/GL deems it necessary to pull the plug, then at any time they would have the right to, F2P or not.
good post....
that bar tho .... set out to make more money im guessing hosting the star wars party , and i can see why LA would be angered at that

now to counter this ..... i say look at how fast they sounded the horn

emu can argue they've been now doing this project for 7 years ?
dust906 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
Onyxs
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
The EMU has been in the works for about 5 years. However there is no time-limit on how soon the license holder may challenge.

The point you are missing is that it's entirely up to Lucas Arts as to whether they ignore it or pursue it.

There are reasons why they would do both. And up until now, they've chosen to allow it to continue by ignoring it.

Let's put it in a different light. Did you know that pretty much ALL fan fiction is in violation of copyright and trademark laws? In order to use the characters and/or settings in your story, you really need permission from the copyright/license holder. Of course that is rarely done.

But, it's "allowed" to be posted and passed along because the copyright/license holder chooses to not press the issue. In most cases that's because it's positive to the brand and it is in their best interest not to pursue it.

This is much the same. Up until this point, it's either not been something they were concerned about or it was seen as positive.

However, going forward, that might change. They've refused to renew the license for SWG--which was probably a pretty hefty chunk of change. They are trying to drive all traffic towards their "new" game. So will they continue to ignore this project? That's the real question. But there really isn't any question as to whether they have the right to get it shut down if they decide they want to.
Onyxs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #28
pcgoblin
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxs View Post
The EMU has been in the works for about 5 years. However there is no time-limit on how soon the license holder may challenge.

The point you are missing is that it's entirely up to Lucas Arts as to whether they ignore it or pursue it.

There are reasons why they would do both. And up until now, they've chosen to allow it to continue by ignoring it.

Let's put it in a different light. Did you know that pretty much ALL fan fiction is in violation of copyright and trademark laws? In order to use the characters and/or settings in your story, you really need permission from the copyright/license holder. Of course that is rarely done.

But, it's "allowed" to be posted and passed along because the copyright/license holder chooses to not press the issue. In most cases that's because it's positive to the brand and it is in their best interest not to pursue it.

This is much the same. Up until this point, it's either not been something they were concerned about or it was seen as positive.

However, going forward, that might change. They've refused to renew the license for SWG--which was probably a pretty hefty chunk of change. They are trying to drive all traffic towards their "new" game. So will they continue to ignore this project? That's the real question. But there really isn't any question as to whether they have the right to get it shut down if they decide they want to.
I posted this same argument on the SWGEMU forums, adding they might have add a sliver of legal support while SWGNGE was still in business and held a legal license from LucasArts. But once that license to use the Star Wars content is gone, they may be in trouble. I think they are in denial.
pcgoblin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Community > SWGalaxies.net > Star Wars Galaxies discussion > Game discussion > SWG is Saved !!!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.