lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #281
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
What needs to be done is to have new MIDI versions of the digital soundtrack composed and then have those MIDIs reworked for and have the output recorded from an MT-32 and keep the game as a digital music pack. This way it sounds retro but everyone can hear it the same way.

If someone wants to recompose the soundtrack in MIDI form I can rework it (instrument-wise) for the MT-32 and record the output.
Dude!!!!
if we could do this it would be amazing!!!
i would love to have the music to be more uniform
i have a few midis already from various sites that you could do while we figure out the whole garage band thing

Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #282
sinus
Rookie

do you still need
A Pirate I Was Meant To Be
as an instrumental?

zeitgestalten.org ♪♫ adventure game soundtracks
sinus is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #283
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinus View Post
do you still need
A Pirate I Was Meant To Be
as an instrumental?
well not really
i have a midi version sorry

@Aububuh: i know its a long proccess but i found this

http://macaudioguy.com/midi-and-garageband/

i have also read that if you have Logic you can import .band files
and from there export to midi

if you could post your .band files then maybe someone around here with Logic can convert them to MIDI for MusiclyInspired to "MT-32"ize

@MusiclyInspired: If you dont mind, could you start on the opening of MI3?
the midi file can be found here:

http://highland.mixnmojo.com/cmi.shtml

and then there are a few more here:
http://www.scummbar.com/resources/do...midi/cmimp.zip

i will post some of the stuff PaddyM did too so you can get started

btw thanx alot!

Last edited by Jackpumpkinhead; 07-12-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #284
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Nice. I'll see what I can do this week.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #285
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

new version

v 0.1.0.0 Beta (Newest)
Installer:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2xgn4n44q1e7ynt
ZIP:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jx5yfcwswbcw1yl

Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #286
MusiclyInspired

Here's the difficulty screen music through the MT-32. I haven't found a good banjo sound yet so I just used one of the stock Guitar patches. If I find a good one later I'll make a new version.

CMI Difficulty Screen (MT-32)

EDIT: Found a banjo sound. At least, it's labeled banjo. Sounds better than the guitar I think anyway. Same link.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"

Last edited by MusiclyInspired; 07-14-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #287
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
Here's the difficulty screen music through the MT-32. I haven't found a good banjo sound yet so I just used one of the stock Guitar patches. If I find a good one later I'll make a new version.

CMI Difficulty Screen (MT-32)

EDIT: Found a banjo sound. At least, it's labeled banjo. Sounds better than the guitar I think anyway. Same link.
at the moment i dont have a difficulty screen )c:
so i dont really need that, but i will definitely listen to it and maybe i can use it elswhere in the game.
as soon as i get a chance i'll post the music PaddyM sent me

Last edited by Jackpumpkinhead; 07-15-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #288
MusiclyInspired

It wasn't very hard to do, I just exchanged some instruments. At the very least it's a preview of what the rest will sound like. Is there a MIDI of the CMI variation of the Monkey Island theme?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #289
Alex IDV
Rookie

Tried out the demo. I think I saw a screenshot of Murray on here earlier, but even after I've shot all of the pirates with the cannon, he doesn't show up. Did I encounter a bug, or is he just not in the demo?

Also, in the beginning, when Guybrush floats on that bumper car: There's way too much text at a time. Please only show a sentence or so at a time.

Other than that, it's really good.
Alex IDV is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #290
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex IDV View Post
Tried out the demo. I think I saw a screenshot of Murray on here earlier, but even after I've shot all of the pirates with the cannon, he doesn't show up. Did I encounter a bug, or is he just not in the demo?

Also, in the beginning, when Guybrush floats on that bumper car: There's way too much text at a time. Please only show a sentence or so at a time.

Other than that, it's really good.
i think that is a bug i'll fix it and upload a new version monday.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #291
DrakeStoel
Lurker

Current Game: Prince of Persia
I had a thought about a way to make the cannon mini-game into more of a mini-game. I was playin the new demo, which is amazing by the way, then I thought of the see-saw puzzle in SoMI, and how you have to push and pull it into the right position to hit the banana tree (or if your like me, your ship ) so I thought, why not do the same thing with a cannon? Except titling it up and down, instead of side to side. Just an idea. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by DrakeStoel; 07-16-2011 at 05:12 AM.
DrakeStoel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #292
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Fixed version of the last update

v 0.1.0.0 Beta (Newest)
Installer Version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?66jrzuskwyzbd3l
ZIP Version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pcx0nz77l577rpv

Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #293
Alex IDV
Rookie

Okay, I could play through the demo now without any technical bugs

However, I did find two typos:
  • "Captian's" (The first thing Guybrush says while floating in the bumper car) should be "Captain's".
  • "Cutless" (shown when you hover the mouse over the cutlass) should be "Cutlass".

I also found two problems with the graphics:
  • Murray's sprite looks kinda weird - his eyes look more like plusses (+) than eye sockets. Check out the anti-alias section of this topic on The Spriter's Resource, it'll really help you.
  • The shading on the bumper car makes no sense. It doesn't appear to have any depth at all, but rather a gradient that goes from red to darker red.

Oh, yeah, and the problem with way too much text at once in the opening "cut scene" is still there, but you already knew that. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #294
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Okay, I could play through the demo now without any technical bugs

However, I did find two typos:
  • "Captian's" (The first thing Guybrush says while floating in the bumper car) should be "Captain's".
  • "Cutless" (shown when you hover the mouse over the cutlass) should be "Cutlass".

I also found two problems with the graphics:
  • Murray's sprite looks kinda weird - his eyes look more like plusses (+) than eye sockets. Check out the anti-alias section of this topic on The Spriter's Resource, it'll really help you.
  • The shading on the bumper car makes no sense. It doesn't appear to have any depth at all, but rather a gradient that goes from red to darker red.

Oh, yeah, and the problem with way too much text at once in the opening "cut scene" is still there, but you already knew that. Keep up the good work!

i appreciate your constructive criticism and help
as far as the "to much text at the beginning" goes, i did that because those are the exact words from the game and that is the pace and flow from the original. if there are alot of people that complaint i will probably change it.

i think i can change the sprite for Murray, that shouldnt be a problem at all

but the bumper car sprite i would need some assistance on, i am not exactly sure how to go about doing it. i really need some help as far as the art goes anyway, if you are interested i would love to add you on as an artist on this project. i just feel so spread thin with this project and i really could use all of the help i can get.

EDIT:
Nevermind on the bumper car sprite, i think i understand what you mean
but i would still love to have some help on anything you can help with

Last edited by Jackpumpkinhead; 07-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #295
Alex IDV
Rookie

I was without Internet access yesterday, so I didn't see your reply... So, well, I've sprited a bumper car for you.

Not perfect, but I dare say it's better than the one in the demo. I'll probably work some more on it.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #296
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
I was without Internet access yesterday, so I didn't see your reply... So, well, I've sprited a bumper car for you.

Not perfect, but I dare say it's better than the one in the demo. I'll probably work some more on it.

Holy crap! That is way better!
If tou are interested I would like to add you on as a spriter. As I said earlier I could use all the help I can get.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #297
Gabez

Super impressed by the demo -- it works brilliantly.

Is the second part of the intro going to be remade as well? Would be harder than the first part but would be nice to see it. Btw I always considered it a flaw that there was essential plot delivered after the credits in the CMI intro. Most people skipped the credits and missed it. I missed it for ages and wondered how Guybrush ended up in the hold.

Saw a typo in the intro... I think it was is instead of his. I forget now. Text needs to be divided up as people have said.

Quote:
as far as the "to much text at the beginning" goes, i did that because those are the exact words from the game and that is the pace and flow from the original. if there are alot of people that complaint i will probably change it.
Just needs to be divided more (nothing deleted). Guybrush doesn't say all his lines in one block like that; there is more rhythm. Incidentally you capture the timing perfectly in the wally dialogue.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #298
MusiclyInspired

Perhaps it could be done in a similar way as the narration text is done in SMI. For instance, the large text narrating the "meanwhile" after you leave the Scumm Bar for the first time and the first cinematic with LeChuck appears. Make it that style of large narration text instead of Guybrush speaking it. The text could work in larger amounts that way.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #299
BlackBeards Dandruff
Lurker

I'm new to this forum but I've been following this from the start and Wow...
This and about 2 other fan games on the internet are the only ones to catch my interest and this one has got me more excited, I just want to see what the barber shop would look like!

The one thing that I find wrong about the demo is probably the most minor thing, its the bottle of grog at the start. Standing up straight makes it look like its on a conveyor belt for me while in real life, a bottle at sea would be slanted.

Also I don't find a problem with the text at the beginning I can read it all at my own pace. Split it up would (judging you were going on the same text speed) make it go twice as slow which would put the text out of sync with the music and you would have to rework the music.

thats my thought anyway, keep it up
BlackBeards Dandruff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #300
Alex IDV
Rookie

What? No, if you split the text in two halves, you obviously make each portion play for half as long as it is right now.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #301
DrakeStoel
Lurker

In the opening scene when Guybrush is talking about LeChuck, there's a typo. It says "is" instead of "his". Also, I recall when trying to talk to the hook in the original game, Guybrush says something like "It's not a toothpick", and also in the original, you could try to give Murray back his arm, or have you just not gotten that far yet? Anywho, keep up the most excellent work
Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #302
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeStoel View Post
In the opening scene when Guybrush is talking about LeChuck, there's a typo. It says "is" instead of "his". Also, I recall when trying to talk to the hook in the original game, Guybrush says something like "It's not a toothpick", and also in the original, you could try to give Murray back his arm, or have you just not gotten that far yet? Anywho, keep up the most excellent work
Yeah, I haven't gotten to that yet, I am defiantly working towards it though. My time has been somewhat divided here of late, so progress is kind of slow. Though all of the encouragement helps.

@MusiclyInspired: how is the music coming along?

@Alex IDV: I am most definitely using your version of the bumper car in the next release!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #303
MusiclyInspired

Slow. In a bit of a RL crisis at the moment. Will do more when I have time. I'll let you know.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #304
DrakeStoel
Lurker

Man, I am totally pumped for the final release of this project. I would really love to help, but unfortunately I can't really do sprites, or music or anything.

Oh well, I'll just be here for moral support

Keep up the bodacious work
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #305
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Man, I am totally pumped for the final release of this project. I would really love to help, but unfortunately I can't really do sprites, or music or anything.

Oh well, I'll just be here for moral support

Keep up the bodacious work
well even if you just know some one that can help that would be great!!
spread the word!!!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #306
DrakeStoel
Lurker

Unfortunately, I also do not know very many people, and the people I do know would not be eager to help.
It is most heinous

Guybrush: If I gave you your arm back, what would you do with it?

Murray: Id terrorize the South Seas! Id torture the living! Id demolish the er What I meant to say was, Id use it to pet kittens.

Guybrush: Nope. You blew it.

Murray: Drat.

- Guybrush and Murray, Curse of Monkey Island
Old 07-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #307
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Unfortunately, I also do not know very many people, and the people I do know would not be eager to help.
It is most heinous
indeed

Old 08-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #308
Dexterspet
Lurker

Current Game: Fate of Atlantis
I am very interested in this. I was kind of here at the beginning, then I guess I forgot about the game! I can't do much on the ways of music, but I can make some sprites in my free time. I would like to devote most of my time to bug testing and consistency checking.

You wouldn't believe how many calls I get about that &#%^ing stump
Dexterspet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #309
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterspet View Post
I am very interested in this. I was kind of here at the beginning, then I guess I forgot about the game! I can't do much on the ways of music, but I can make some sprites in my free time. I would like to devote most of my time to bug testing and consistency checking.
yeah for sure!!

BTW
this is the repaint i did on the bumper car sprite

Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #310
Alex IDV
Rookie

It needs more contrast. The way you made it, the shading is too hard to see, making it seem flat. Also, I don't think you need that many shades of red - if you check out the Guybrush sprite, for instance, you can see that he's only got about three shades per color.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #311
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
It needs more contrast. The way you made it, the shading is too hard to see, making it seem flat. Also, I don't think you need that many shades of red - if you check out the Guybrush sprite, for instance, you can see that he's only got about three shades per color.
not sure what you mean by contrast?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #312
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

It looks good. Well done. He means contrast from the lightest red to the darkest red. If it was more visible it would help make the bumper car look "rounder".

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #313
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPeel2001 View Post
It looks good. Well done. He means contrast from the lightest red to the darkest red. If it was more visible it would help make the bumper car look "rounder".

here is my newest edits
one is slieghtly different than the other

Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #314
makabro
Rookie

Awesome stuff, being playing the beta. Really nice work!! Keep it comming!!!
makabro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #315
MusiclyInspired

I just read that you're not going to be doing the entire game. That's a sad thing to hear. If you keep this project as a spare time project it can totally be possible to do the entire game. Fangames don't have to have deadlines to finish. Still, if you're resolute about your decision than I'm sorry to see this end. Perhaps you can leave the source online for someone else to pick up?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #316
DrakeStoel
Lurker

What? You're not doing the whole thing?!?!?! That's the worst news I've heard since JFK got shot! Oh well... I'll get over it. Any-who, you've done a most excellent job on this. Thank you so much.

Murray: Id terrorize the South Seas! Id torture the living! Id demolish the er What I meant to say was, Id use it to pet kittens.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #317
Alex IDV
Rookie

Even if Jack said that he planned to demake the whole game, what difference would it make? It's a well-known fact that very few fangames ever get completed, unless they are very short.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #318
MusiclyInspired

That's no reason not to try. If everyone did that no fangames would get done at all.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #319
DrakeStoel
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpumpkinhead View Post

here is my newest edits
one is slieghtly different than the other
This is really grood (great and good) The only thing I disagree with is his right knee. It looks really pointy, like he could stab something with it.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #320
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie

Quote:
What? You're not doing the whole thing?!?!?! That's the worst news I've heard since JFK got shot! Oh well... I'll get over it. Any-who, you've done a most excellent job on this. Thank you so much.
well i always kinda planned on just doing the first part of the game, but i will probably work on it on and off in the future. i just have a few other projects that i would like to work on and i don't think that i will be able to fully dedicate my time to this game. lets just say that it will be put on hold indefinitely and that there is a strong possibility that i might pick it up again some time in the future. i still have a few things that i need to do to it until i am putting it on hold though. also there is a good chance that i will make the source folder available to you guys if some body here wants to continue my work...

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)