lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KotOR Fan Film
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
KotOR Fan Film

Came across this trailer on Youtube... Looks interesting; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-Zo...eature=related

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
I'm just impressed that it's live action and not just a glorified Let's Play.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
I mean it looks pretty corny but it's a fan film after all. As a kotor fan I'd watch it for sure

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
It's a cool idea. Either they got the worst film crew they could find or their budget is a lot lower than I'm thinking.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
^ Their filme crew was likely a bunch of cinema school graduates and a few small time actors and their budget all they had on their pockets and what they could get from local business-owners for publicity.

Nevertheless (or because of that) it's looking really impressive. It'll be their own story, though. And will demand a degree of abstraction from the watchers as the Sith Soldiers use Mandalorian armor, it'd seem. I'm looking forward to it.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
^ Their filme crew was likely a bunch of cinema school graduates and a few small time actors and their budget all they had on their pockets and what they could get from local business-owners for publicity.

Nevertheless (or because of that) it's looking really impressive. It'll be their own story, though. And will demand a degree of abstraction from the watchers as the Sith Soldiers use Mandalorian armor, it'd seem. I'm looking forward to it.
Your probably right. I was expecting something more along the lines of The Hunt for Gollum.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
They need a new effects department, the Rotoscoping and sound effects are horrendous. with better effects this could be cool.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Fastmaniac
Rookie

I'm with Ctrl Alt Del... Looking at the trailer, it surely seems like a low budget production made up by a few people sitting together in front of a TV screen with one of them saying "Let's do this!". Sure, the effects could get more advanced but I'm certain that it's just one guy who knows how to do it.

Still, it is a big difference from similar projects and the idea is definitely original. I'll be watching it for sure just to see how the story was developed and how the general result will look like

Fastmaniac
Fastmaniac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
I don't think there's anything wrong with the effects. What do you expect from a fan film? I think they look great for what it is.

I love it when a bunch of people get together and just make a movie and, like I said, as a kotor fan I'll be sure to watch it. Oh, but yeah, the mandalorian armors are pretty distracting

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Drexl View Post
What do you expect from a fan film?
View page
YouTube Video
View page
YouTube Video
View page
YouTube Video
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
Star Wars: Revelations
Gag me with a ****ing Bowie knife. Agree on the other two, though.

On the trailer itself: I like all the parts except where people are shown speaking or attempting to act. Much like their "Revan" fanfilm. Great title, too, by the way, "Shadows of Corruption" - the only one I could think of that would sound more bland or generic would be "Shadows of Echoes" or something.

Also, regarding "what do you expect from a fanfilm": I prefer that the creators know something about what they're doing, and many don't seem to know much except how to turn a camera on and off. Worst, however, is when they think they can write a good story or act and can't - like in the aforementioned Revelations, or the hysterically bad Red Harvest. Even decent effects are hardly necessary; by and large, the best fanfilms are the ones that accept the general quality ceiling and roll with it.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 10-21-2011 at 04:24 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
@OP: Ah yes, I stumbled upon this as an aside while checking the progress of another fan film about Darth Bane.
I liked the voice given to Revan in this one,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QE_7...feature=relmfu
Looking forward to the result to be sure.

Channel dedicated to the Bane movie project mentioned above, here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/resurrectbane
You'll note the musical scores used are not what one would expect as the standard SW fare. It just doesn't give that SW feel. But in all fairness at least it's something, and probably better than anything my friends and I could currently hope to achieve.

If any Bane movie should be made live action, it should be based off the novels.
And it should use props as close to the story as possible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvlsrYJv5nc

/opinion

There is another CGI of Bane which might be interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CUG0LZZ8Y

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
The only fan films I like to see were the ones from Ryan and Dorkman (although the last one was too focused on SFX). All the others are too corny and/or cheesy.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > KotOR Fan Film