lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What we love about the prequel trilogy
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #41
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Call me crazy
OK I'll oblige, you're crazy!

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #42
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Always thought the Jedis went down like pussies though, even with the element of surprise...
Actually, I think that was excellent. To me it really showed that the Jedi are not omnipotent superheros, and can still be defeated by simple numbers. I think that is a point definitely worth showing, and something that the EU totally lacks in most Jedi portrayals. Revan fandom being a part of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
That one kid in that scene who had the lines was brilliant, the way he half flinched the moment Vader ignites his lightsaber made that entire scene.
I remember when I saw it in theatres with my wife she was whispering "no no no no no no no no".

I also love the scene with Palpatine and Anakin at the opera. Just the way Palpatine plays Anakin, and how he immediately takes advantage of the little bits of info Anakin lets drop. And most of all the delivery of the line:

"It's ironic. He could prevent other people from dying, but not himself."

Brilliant.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
R2-X2

Current Game: KotOR again. F*** yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Qui-Gon Jinn
The equivalent of Alec Guiness' Ben Kenobi of the PT, only better. A true (charismatic) Jedi in his prime.
NOOOOO! Don't you dare to say Qui-Gon is better than Alec Guiness!

I'm far to lazy to add something on my own, I'd be repeating someone anyway.

Beep.
R2-X2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #44
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-X2 View Post
NOOOOO! Don't you dare to say Qui-Gon is better than Alec Guiness!
I said what I said.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #45
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Always thought the Jedis went down like pussies though, even with the element of surprise...
It was more than mere surprise. In my opinion it had more to do with being betrayed by comrade-in-arms than merely the element of surprise. They fought, bleed and died with the Clones all during the Clone Wars. They had come to trust the clones implicitly. If the clones were covering the Jediís backs, the Jedi were only worried about the enemy to their front.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #46
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #47
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Jar Jar is actually a character I never had a problem with. His scenes may not be on the right places, but I think the fault is on the editing and not on the character itself. Same with C-3PO on the OT.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #48
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

I agree, just thought it was a funny picture
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #49
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
The scene before Anakin and Obi face off with Dooku, where they and R2 are goofing around with the elevators and stuff. Nasal battle droid voices notwithstanding, I liked the banter between the two characters.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #50
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

I dont know if you've seen the Bluray extras for ROTS TKA, but there are several more minutes of cut footage of that part, and its even better than what made it in to the final cut IMO But I agree that is a really cool part and shows the kind of friendship alluded to in Ben's hut 19 years later.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #51
Capibara
Rookie

Quote:
Jar Jar is actually a character I never had a problem with. His scenes may not be on the right places, but I think the fault is on the editing and not on the character itself. Same with C-3PO on the OT.
Indeed, the fault is on the editing; the problem was not the character itself but the fact that he was not edited out of the movies.

Decent troll there though.
Capibara is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #52
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

I dont hate Jar jar completely, I just have this very vivid memory of seeing TPM in 99 when Qui-gonn and Obi-wan meet up in the Naboo forest, they had their lightsabers drawn, they were blowing up the bad guy's speeder bikes and I was like "OMG its like ROTJ on Endor! Star Wars is back!!" then I was suddenly pulled out of it by some 6ft 8' fish/frog/man shouting "Exsqueeeze Me"...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #53
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capibara View Post
Indeed, the fault is on the editing; the problem was not the character itself but the fact that he was not edited out of the movies.
Good try, but no.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #54
Capibara
Rookie

Quote:
Good try, but no.
Oh but it is!, you know it is, stop joking around!
Capibara is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #55
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

The biggest problem with Jar Jar is that there was no character progression and he didn't become more competent by the end of the film.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #56
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Jar Jar was never much more than comic relief that ran its course by/before TPM's end.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #57
R2-X2

Jar Jar was a (failed?) attempt to make Star Wars more suitable for younger people.

Beep.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #58
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Jar Jar was a (failed?) attempt to make Star Wars more suitable for younger people.
No. Star Wars always was suitable for younger people.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #59
R2-X2

Ok...It definitely was. I meant more suitable than before. And in comparison to all the other parts, AOTC - ROTJ, the first part was, you'll agree on that, won't you?

Beep.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #60
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
C3P0 = being too smart and too sheltered for your own good is funny.
Jar Jar = being too stupid and too outgoing for your own good is funny.

At least that's what I think the idea was behind the two characters. Out of the two characters I can safely say that I find it a lot easier to laugh at the smart person going through misfortune than the stupid one...

On the other hand Artoo was the forgotten hero of the movies who saved the other heroes lives time after time but was never properly thanked by any of them.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #61
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
On the other hand Artoo was the forgotten hero of the movies who saved the other heroes lives time after time but was never properly thanked by any of them.
Queen Padme Amidala herself broke out the toothbrush to clean Artoo of all of his carbon scoring after the Naboo Blockade Breakout... That is at least some display of appreciation.

Otherwise though, I agree with you on R2... never got a memory wipe, knew all the players in the OT better than they knew themselves... The true Jedi master if there was one.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #62
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
I don't think it is a failed attempt in the sense that youngs did find him enjoyable.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #63
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
The biggest problem with Jar Jar is that there was no character progression and he didn't become more competent by the end of the film.
He did not have a significant enough role in the overall story to warrant the way the character played out, in my opinion. Too goofy, too campy not enough substance to an otherwise solid cast. Such blatant pandering to little kids in the prequels ruined their quality.

Favorite moments are most of EP1 highlighting of course the duel at the end and also Queen Amidala/Padme as a character worthy in my opinion of respect in her place within the Star Wars Cast; Kamino scenes in EP2, and end of Anakin/Obi-Wan duel in EP3 when Anakin catches on fire. In particular I'd say the fleshing out of the Sidious/Palpatine role in all three movies was fairly well portrayed.

Last edited by 90SK; 11-01-2011 at 09:20 PM.
90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #64
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
As someone who was in elementary school when Episode one came out and therefore his target audience, I can definitely remember finding him just as annoying then as I do now.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #65
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

For me.. the PT hit on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Something just hinted at in the OT, but PT I thought really hit home.

Was hoping to get see more of that relationship and how they would wind up answering the OT's ANH dialogue.
Quote:
Luke: How did my father die?
Obi-Wan: A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.
and of course, how it translated to ESB's Vader Revelation.

I thought the PT did a good job on showing the mentoring/comradery between Obi and Anakin.. with the humor quips added as icing on the cake. Always enjoyed the scenes when Obi/Ani exchanged dialogue, and thought it illustrated the deep bond they shared and the tragic consequences of the betrayal afterwards, due to the Council constantly denying Anakin and the Emperor's coercion of those decisions to lure (the naive) Anakin to his side.

In an afterthought, and I'll probably catch hell for it but I thought the PT did such a good job with it, that when they were re-united in ANH.. it was a little dis-servicing to the relationship (hindsight though is a double edged sword). The scene seems a little more dry after the events we saw in the PT.

The re-uniting (ANH) is one of the few scenes I thought could actually be improved upon given what we know now about their relationship (now). Probably one of the few changes I'd actually have welcomed had Lucas decided to "special addition" that portion. Though without Alec Guinness (RIP ) that too would be dbag move to add/alter now.

oh! and of course, R2D2 is much more of a badass

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 10-30-2011 at 09:14 AM.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #66
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Forgot to say, but I also like Mace Windu for his uniqueness.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #67
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
For me.. the PT hit on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Something just hinted at in the OT, but PT I thought really hit home.
That's interesting, because I feel that is something that to some degree the PT could have done better. Really it was mostly ROTS that gave us a view of their relationship as hinted at in the OT. TPM basically just showed us how they met, and AOTC showed the strain and distance between them. That is one of the things I think TCW brings to the table. You really see them in a more equal footing with a close bond. I wish more of that had been captured in the films.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #68
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Forgot to say, but I also like Mace Windu for his uniqueness.
Black Jedi, FTW.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #69
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
That's interesting, because I feel that is something that to some degree the PT could have done better. Really it was mostly ROTS that gave us a view of their relationship as hinted at in the OT. TPM basically just showed us how they met, and AOTC showed the strain and distance between them.
True, always room for improvement. But it was at least a progression moreso than the passing scene(s) in the OTs. Granted it took 3 films to get the message across.. hehe, but we see the development of the relationship in each film. It succeeded enough so that the general audience can fill in the blanks about the relationship and bond they form between movies.

Quote:
That is one of the things I think TCW brings to the table. You really see them in a more equal footing with a close bond. I wish more of that had been captured in the films.
Couldn't agree with you more One of the reasons why I think people should give TCW a second look (at least the later episodes).

But that kinda falls in the same boat as the double edged sword I mentioned earlier. If TCW had aired before (or during) the PT so much more could have been captured.

Sure the PT is dry comparatively with the introduction of TCW, but the PT on it's own (sans TCW background) I thought managed to get the relationship across without too many people wondering "wait.. what?"

However yeah, I'm with you on the "wish they would've captured more" in the PT. Damned hindsight.. hehehe

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 10-31-2011 at 09:55 AM.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #70
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trench View Post
Black Jedi, FTW.
That's not exactly what I meant.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > What we love about the prequel trilogy