lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Revan: The Novel Spoilers (Oh god...)
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
S_W_LeGenD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Master View Post
I totally agree with DarthMuffin and Totenkopf. The novel is unnecessary, and it´s just a version, as any of ours. And, don´t forget it, Star Wars is a bussiness, even if it is unnecessary. All of us have our own ideas/thoughts about Revan, the exile, and what happened to them. As we have our own versions of Revan and the exile (gender, hair, LS or DS, etc.), we shouldn´t consider this novel as a canon, just another version. I´ll read the novel, but just for curiosity; I´ll still have my own opinion, surely as all of you.
I disagree. I always wanted Revan to be properly defined and his story be completed. He is too important character to be treated as a vague.

Keep in mind that fans do not own Revan. Lucas is the owner. We just borrow the character in KOTOR game.

However, I want Revan to get decent roles and treatment so that fanbase is satisfied. Fans are important because they made Star Wars famous in the first place.

To be honest, I want more novels on Revan.

Quote:
By now, I suppose all of you konw that, in www.swtor.com, you can download the chapters 3 and 11 of the novel. According to that and what I´ve read here, I think I won´t like the novel very much, because in the novel, it seems Revan is less of what I think; that´s not exactly what I imagined about Revan and what happened to him. I´m one of those thousands of Revan´s fans who think Revan is our favourite character in Star Wars, and any of us have our thoughts, and probably they differ from Drew Karpyshyn´s version, but I don´t think we should kill him and his novel before reading it, I won´t do it. Let´s wait a little longer. Don´t take it as a canon, just enjoy it.
The entire book should be read before forming an opinion.

Revan does actually assists the Mandalorians in reorganizing themselves before leaving for the unknown regions. Canderous becomes the Mandalore after the death of his wife.

Quote:
And about the previous discussion about Revan VS the exile:
KotOR is my favourite game, in spite of being and "ancient" game from 2003, I enjoy it every time I play it; it has made me to have my own opinion about Revan, which is the same as the one you can read in:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan

"Revan was known as a highly skilled warrior, having defeated some of the greatest and most accomplished fighters of his time during the Mandalorian Wars and the subsequent Jedi Civil War, including the former Echani general and senator Yusanis, Mandalore the Ultimate, and Darth Malak, who was counted among the skilled swordsmen of the era.
Revan was an incredibly talented and diligent student of the Force — the most gifted of his time — and eventually, by all accounts, became a very powerful Force practitioner. Both as a Sith Lord and as a Jedi, Revan used a variety of Force powers.
Revan was an exceptionally capable strategist and tactician. Revan's originality as a battlefield commander would earn him the undying respect of both the Mandalorian and Echani warrior cultures.
In addition to his combat prowess, Force mastery, and imaginative battle strategies, Revan spoke and comprehended a variety of languages. Revan was a skilled mechanic.
"…Your potential is unlimited…" - Zhar Lestin.
"You, Revan, are the single greatest warrior of this age, and any battle we fight will bring me honor." - Canderous Ordo.
"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force." - Kreia".

And in KotOR 2:
Kreia:
"Is that what he was? Or was he always true to himself, no matter what personality he wore? And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyony knew. The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil."

When you read this, the only one opinion that you can make is that Revan is very powerful, very charismatic, a natural leader, and a skilled lightsaber wielder.
So, according with the KotOR 1, Revan is very powerful; not inmortal, allmighty and invencible, but very powerful, who decided to make a lesser evil for a greater good. A very interesting character, unfairly looked down on in KotOR 2, just because Obsidian wanted his/her own hero, or maybe they weren´t able to deal with Revan´ success or they didn´t know how to deal with, so they developed a different story. It´s really disappointing not having Revan, Bastila, Carth, Jolee, etc. again. It´s a pity there isn´t a real KotOR 3.
I think it´s absurd discussing who is the best, if Revan or the exile, we cannot make an appropriate comparison, because Revan and the exile are 2 different characters of 2 different games.
In KotOR, Revan starts being a "normal" person, you can get 20 levels, only 12 of jedi (19 with mods). And that´s all.
In KotOR 2, the exile starts being a jedi, at level 15 can get the advanced/master class, you can get 50 levels (with cheats ), and many feats, force powers and skills with the help of Kreia, Brianna, Visas, Atton, HK, T3 and the Jedi masters.
According to this, it´s obvious that the exile is far more powerful than Revan. Another thing would be that the exile was in KotOr and Revan in KotOR 2, as I have done: I played the KotOR 2 as the exile (obviously ): a man, Jedi Guardian level 15 - Jedi Weapon Master level ...; later, I played the game having in mind how Revan could be according with the KotOR and starwars.wikia.com (and, obviously, my decision), and MY result (I insist, it´s just my opinion) is a Jedi Guardian level 15 - Jedi Master level ...). In this case, I prefer Revan. I say all this so you can see it´s absurd arguing who is the best, becuase all of us have our opinion, but, when discussing this, remember we´re talking about different games.

Sorry for this huge and boring post .
This is why gameplay is invalid basis for determining the strengths and weaknesses of a character.

KOTOR II is more advanced then KOTOR I, hence more features and levels are in it.

Officially, the attributes of two characters are as follows:

Jedi Exile:

Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 13
Int: 16
Wis: 16
Cha: 20

Darth Revan:

Str: 17
Dex: 17
Con: 14
Int: 15
Wis: 18
Cha: 19

Drew confirmed that Revan was the most powerful Jedi of his time.

So.................

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD; 11-13-2011 at 10:31 AM.
S_W_LeGenD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Revan: The Novel Spoilers (Oh god...)