lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #281
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
So far I'm the polar opposite of ChAiNz, I haven’t been able to get into this game at all. I play, but get bored after only a few mins. I believe this all goes back to character creation and the hideous form wood elves have taken (I know they were ugly in Morrowind too, but not with better faces). Made an acceptable Nord, but it just isn’t Elder Scrolls to me without my little wood elf.

Like the look of the environment, like the fighting, hate the level up and menus. Haven’t gotten far, I find the game way to easy at times and then when I get cocky about it I stumble upon something my PC has no possible chance of killing. Was really looking forward to Skyrim, but all I’m doing now is dreaming about December or March. Just haven’t been able to get into the environment yet.

Off to Nexus to see if any mods have been released to fix the female wood elves.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #282
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Was getting beaten down hard every second I turned a corner until I purchased a summon meat shield.. err, Flame Atronach. Definitely invest in this (or other conjuration) spell.. even for the melee classes. Makes encounters and combat much more manageable... hehe.
Or rent a hireling Also, rank has it's privileges, though I found having a helper isn't always helpful (can't run backwards through a hallway if your companions is running forward to jump on bad guy's sword).

Quote:
Smithing rocks, Alchemy limited in effect this round.. but the few you get can be awesome (and devastating). Mixed on the Enchanting mechanics. LOVE the idea on how you get the effects (disenchanting/breakdown).. not too thrilled on limiting what type of enchantment can go on what type of equipment. I'll be modding that for sure when the tools come around
Haven't monkeyed with enchantment. Love smithing. Wish alchemy was more effective.

Quote:
If the game continues to add little surprises and bits like this... yeah, I'll be in this for months on end.
Two words: Treasure maps
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #283
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
So after 34 hours, my conclusion concerning the engine is that if this is not Gamebryo, then Gamebryo was unfairly criticised for the issues in Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion. Pretty much all the same issues are still present, so presumably whatever proprietary Gamebryo code they stripped out was not responsible. My particular favourite in this new incarnation is that they seem to have ramped up the wacky item physics to a point now where most buildings seem to be perpetually possessed by poltergeist (say that 3 times fast), with dishes and such flying about all over the place every time you enter.

It also seems to me that the new "feature" they announced, namely not zooming in on faces during conversations, was just a cop out to hide their dodgy textures and ropey animations. I'm not sure why it is, but if you ever wanted to make a game full of truly ugly people, then Bethesda would be your go-to studio. Not that we didn't know that already, but what's on show in Skyrim does seem to fly in the face of pre-release claims that characters would be a lot nicer looking this time around. I guess they are better than Oblivion, but that's not exactly a challenge.

Speaking of faces, am I the only one that thinks that it is bizarre to have a FaceGen character creator for the player character in a first-person game where you virtually never (outside of a few combat kill-cam moments) see said character's face? You'd think after they'd expended that much effort that they'd at least give you a few shots during conversations or something. They should just have a HandGen system, seeing as hands are pretty much the only thing of your character you ever see.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #284
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Does the retail version of this game require Steam?
It required Steam to install and activate, but not to play it once installed (you can just run the game EXE file directly without the Steam client running).

Quote:
Absolutely loving the game despite its (many) glitches

UI is less than desirable, but no more clumsy than Oblivion's nested nightmare
I just favorite everything and auto-key 1-8 for my magic/weapon setups.
It's definitely worse if you're used to "non-standard" control schemes throughout your gaming history. When movement controls for games are in your muscle memory it's nearly impossible to relearn, so the inability to alter key bindings to your liking was very much game breaking. Fortunately it can be remedied with a key remapper utility, but something like that really shouldn't be necessary for a game to be playable.

I also find that there aren't enough quick keys to bind, so I have to navigate the magic/shouts/inventory menus a lot to swap things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Speaking of faces, am I the only one that thinks that it is bizarre to have a FaceGen character creator for the player character in a first-person game where you virtually never (outside of a few combat kill-cam moments) see said character's face?
I'm playing Skyrim (and all the other TES games) in third person mode, feels more "RPG-ish" that way for some reason. Then you see what your character looks like a fair bit. It might explain why customization options are so limited though (seems like my every attempt to make a Nord female results in something looking like a pale Redguard zombie instead).

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #285
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
Fortunately it can be remedied with a key remapper utility
Did you try that mod I linked to on the previous page?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #286
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
It required Steam to install and activate, but not to play it once installed (you can just run the game EXE file directly without the Steam client running).
That's a bit better, but I still don't want my game to be dependant from a 3rd party software/server.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #287
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Or rent a hireling Also, rank has it's privileges, though I found having a helper isn't always helpful (can't run backwards through a hallway if your companions is running forward to jump on bad guy's sword).
yeah.. I'm just trigger shy with companions as Bethesda seems hell bent on having them jump in front of you mid-swing. My squishy butt would probably get pommeled by my own companion.. hehe. With the Atronach.. I can spam my magic (depending on element) since they are immune to its effects. I'm Mr. Sneaky McBowFlamethrower.

Fire spell = Flame Artonach
Cold spell = Frost Atronach
Shock spell = Storm Atronach

They tend to get a dragon's attention too. Gets them to land quicker whenever one decides to spawn so they're like conjured bait! hehe

I fear I might be missing out on companion quests though.. so sooner or later I'll probably have to make the dive (unless I find out there's no such quest lines).

Quote:
Haven't monkeyed with enchantment. Love smithing. Wish alchemy was more effective.
Yeah..was really disappointed that my poisons no longer have element effects and such. Mostly use damage over time and the prevent magicka/stamina regen on the boss types and enchanted my bows with different effects (fire, frost, shock, soul trap, etc.). Great way to make some cash though. I got rich just off selling my fodder potions made during leveling my alchemy skill.

Enchanting is pretty kewl too (some aspects). You have to destroy magic weapons/armor to get their enchant effect, so it's a decision on selling/destroying valuable loot. But the stickler is only certain enchants work with certain body slot gear.. kinda sucks, kinda rocks. I'm torn, but nothing a mod won't fix eventually.

Quote:
Two words: Treasure maps
Dude! Found my first one last night! hehehe.. loved it! Going to be hitting bandit camps more often now

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #288
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I fear I might be missing out on companion quests
Aside from the mercs you can hire at most inns, I think the quest/s you do that open up the dialogue option of having someone follow you as a companion are as much of a companion questline as there is.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #289
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
yeah.. I'm just trigger shy with companions as Bethesda seems hell bent on having them jump in front of you mid-swing.
The quest you have to option to complete while getting the Storm Call shout (aside: if you don't have this, get it now) includes a companion that you can't control. It took me 5 tries to get past the boss because miss ma'am kept jumping in front of my arrows.

More on Storm Call: as soon as I used it, I remembered seeing one of the devs show it in one of the pre-release marketing videos. The bad news is that you have to be outside when you use it and it literally takes 3 minutes to recharge (so you better not plan on needing any other shouts for a while). The good news is that it will ruin the whole day of anyone within your current zip code. I found myself pinned down by Altmer archers and mages and wasn't sure how I was going to get out alive. Then I remembered my new shout. I ducked in a corner by the door I'd just exited from, hollered, and watched as lightning killed off half a dozen bad guys over the course of 30 seconds. Pure awesome.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #290
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Enchanting is pretty kewl too (some aspects). You have to destroy magic weapons/armor to get their enchant effect, so it's a decision on selling/destroying valuable loot. But the stickler is only certain enchants work with certain body slot gear.. kinda sucks, kinda rocks. I'm torn, but nothing a mod won't fix eventually.
I'm a little disappointed with it myself, or at least annoyed at the lack of any 'light' enchantment - although that could be because I haven't found anything that does it yet.

That was usually one of the first things I enchanted in Oblivion, a simple ring with a light spell to save me carrying a torch - not that I'm afraid of the dark, or anything, but I always thought any adventurer, be it warrior or mage would want something to illuminate their way while leaving the hands free for sword/shield/magic when they're in a dank cave or dungeon.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #291
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I don't believe there is any light enchantment. Looks like it's another victim of streamlining. A more grievous issue with enchantment to my mind though is the lack of stacking.

Speaking of rings, it annoys me that you can only wear one. You should be allowed to wear two at least - one on each hand.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #292
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
I'm a little disappointed with it myself, or at least annoyed at the lack of any 'light' enchantment - although that could be because I haven't found anything that does it yet.
Yeah, there's a few spell effects I miss that were part of my Morrowind/Oblivion staples. So far though I haven't encountered any caves that were dark enough for me to require one. I find myself mostly putting the darn things out so I can sneaky-sneak and ruin some bandit's day... hehe

Quote:
I don't believe there is any light enchantment. Looks like it's another victim of streamlining. A more grievous issue with enchantment to my mind though is the lack of stacking.

Speaking of rings, it annoys me that you can only wear one. You should be allowed to wear two at least - one on each hand.
Yeah, I bought the (2) mage light spells.. the hover one and the sticky one, since I couldn't find any enchanted item. But have yet to find an opportunity to actually need it. Still a whelp in the adventuring though.. so hopefully I'm bound to stumble on something. Maybe one day I can actually find something with a @#$! waterbreathing enchantment. I STILL haven't found anything. My alchemy potions last quite awhile now, but I'd much rather carry around a .5lb item than 2.5lbs of pots and hunting for ingredients

The ring wearing though.. yeah, that miffed me. Started enchanting early on in the game (dirt poor and stat starved). I didn't find this gem out till AFTER spending all my cash on (2) filled grand souls and crafting resistance rings, only to find out I could wear only one of them

Needless to say.. I'm glad to don't delete save games

Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #293
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Maybe one day I can actually find something with a @#$! waterbreathing enchantment.
I can confirm that there is at least one item that adds waterbreathing. It also ups your carrying capacity and improves your prices with merchants.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #294
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Really?

What is this item called, and where can i get it?

Btw, does anyone know what the maximum level for Skyrim is? (where you can no longer get any more perks to level up your abilities)

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #295
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Payne View Post
Btw, does anyone know what the maximum level for Skyrim is? (where you can no longer get any more perks to level up your abilities)
Last I read, the level cap is 50, but sure that will change with DLC...of course this is coming from the level 4 guy.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #296
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Good to know, this will let me plan ahead a little better.

Well, i guess i'll find out soon enough as my current character (a female Imperial) is at level 30 at the moment.

Edit: Btw, there is a couple of way for you to level up that are pretty easy. One is really expensive, the other is time consuming.

One way is to use money to max out your smithing skill by making iron daggers(the dragon armor is pretty cool), the other is to let a bandit archer shoot at you all he/she wants while you use magic/potions to heal youself.

My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.

Last edited by Darth Payne; 11-16-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #297
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Last I read, the level cap is 50, but sure that will change with DLC...of course this is coming from the level 4 guy.
Technically, the "soft" level cap that the game is designed around is 50, but the hard level cap, which would be reached by maxing out all of your skills is approximately 81.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #298
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Well, i guess i'll find out one way or the other when i reach level 50 in a couple of hours.

At the moment i'm near Valtheim Towers letting a bandit shoot at me to max out the Light and Heavy armor sets.

Btw, does anyone know what the item that Achilles mentions is?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #299
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Lol that sounds pretty lame. Surely there are more efficient ways to cheat/exploit? I'm assuming you must be playing the 360/PS3 version, otherwise you'd just use the console to add skill points.

Quote:
I bought the (2) mage light spells.. the hover one and the sticky one, since I couldn't find any enchanted item. But have yet to find an opportunity to actually need it.
There are a few places that should be dark enough to warrant a light spell, unless you have your monitor brightness cranked way up.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #300
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Quote:
Lol that sounds pretty lame. Surely there are more efficient ways to cheat/exploit? I'm assuming you must be playing the 360/PS3 version, otherwise you'd just use the console to add skill points.

There are a few places that should be dark enough to warrant a light spell, unless you have your monitor brightness cranked way up.
Yep, i'm on the 360.

I've had enough computer trouble this year that i decided to get the Collectors Edition for the console instead.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #301
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Technically, the "soft" level cap that the game is designed around is 50, but the hard level cap, which would be reached by maxing out all of your skills is approximately 81.
Like I wrote, I was at level 4 at the time, so I was only going by what I read. According to that the cap at release is 50 and the final cap would be around 75.

What I can't get over is
spoiler:
A level 5 PC could kill a dragon so easily. With only a simple shock spell and a steal sword. Didn't even have a bow because I sold it for gold to purchase one handed training. Didn't expect to see dragons so soon.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #302
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Quote:
Like I wrote, I was at level 4 at the time, so I was only going by what I read. According to that the cap at release is 50 and the final cap would be around 75.

What I can't get over is
spoiler:
A level 5 PC could kill a dragon so easily. With only a simple shock spell and a steal sword. Didn't even have a bow because I sold it for gold to purchase one handed training. Didn't expect to see dragons so soon.
Yeah well, how soon dragons appear in the game depends on what quests you do.

On another playthrough i didn't face dragons until i was at level 25.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #303
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Also, the joy of level scaling means what level you are at the time is largely irrelevant.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #304
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Btw, does anyone know what the item that Achilles mentions is?
It's a dragon priest mask (or are they helmets?). I can't remember what that particular one was called.

FWIW, my level 5 Nord found a necklace of waterbreathing in Riverwood for 938 gold
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #305
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

I've only found one of those and it has something to do with Lockpicking and Alchemy as far as i remember.

I can't at the moment remember which house i left the thing in...

Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #306
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've found a couple of waterbreathing items as loot, but as an Argonian I laugh at the need for puny trinkets for such things.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #307
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
FWIW, my level 5 Nord found a necklace of waterbreathing in Riverwood for 938 gold
Quote:
I've found a couple of waterbreathing items as loot, but as an Argonian I laugh at the need for puny trinkets for such things.
OK now you two are just rubbing it in
STILL haven't found one.. hehehe

Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #308
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
There are always potions of waterbreathing (Chicken Egg/Histcarp/Nordic Barnacle) or the spell. Do you need to do that much swimming? I found it less useful that I had hoped, as most situations where you might think it would be useful for stealth the water is too shallow and you can still be spotted by archers/guards.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #309
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
There's one place where a waterbreathing potion or spell is useful:

Show spoiler

Btw, has anyone found a spell to fortify carry weight? Like the feather spells from Oblivion? I'm tired of running to town to sell gear after only exploring one or two dungeons...
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #310
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
There are always potions of waterbreathing (Chicken Egg/Histcarp/Nordic Barnacle) or the spell. Do you need to do that much swimming? I found it less useful that I had hoped, as most situations where you might think it would be useful for stealth the water is too shallow and you can still be spotted by archers/guards.
Not so much as "need".. it's now just more of an obsession..
My homebrew potions currently have a 60sec time limit each.. so I'm good as far as exploration.

I just want one now because the game seems to taunt me with the fact it isn't going to let me get it.. hehe

Old 11-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #311
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hessian View Post
Btw, has anyone found a spell to fortify carry weight? Like the feather spells from Oblivion? I'm tired of running to town to sell gear after only exploring one or two dungeons...
No spells, but I've found a few items (iron boots, leather boots, and the mask/helmet mentioned above).
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #312
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Why is every cave and fort I go into filled with vampire? Is this a vampire game or have I just been very unlucky? Getting very annoyed.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #313
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Just now, when i fast travelled, i saw a 3D model of a 'statue' with about eight Dragon Priest masks.

Are we supposed to collect the masks and return them to this statue?

Edit: btw, anyone know of any confirmed locations to find/buy ebony ingots/ore? I need a total of 13 ebony ingots just to make the deadra armor pieces(which looks really familiar for some reason), and another 4 to upgrade the armor. Another ingredient i need for those armor pieces are Deadra hearts, where do i find those?

Last edited by Darth Payne; 11-18-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #314
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Why is every cave and fort I go into filled with vampire? Is this a vampire game or have I just been very unlucky? Getting very annoyed.
You're unlucky...I haven't encountered any vamps yet and I've completed both the Thieves Guild and the Main Storyline

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #315
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've found a few Deadra hearts around some of the witch dungeons, plus I ran into my first actual Deadra last night at Mahrunes Dagon's shrine, which gave me a few extra to harvest.

Speaking of witches, I find the soft moaning of one of the zombified witches to be strangely erotic.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #316
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Mahrunes Shrine?

I haven't found that one yet...

I did find a couple in a couple of the achemy shops though.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #317
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
Quote:
btw, anyone know of any confirmed locations to find/buy ebony ingots/ore? I need a total of 13 ebony ingots just to make the deadra armor pieces(which looks really familiar for some reason), and another 4 to upgrade the armor. Another ingredient i need for those armor pieces are Deadra hearts, where do i find those?
Show spoiler

Last edited by Red Hessian; 11-18-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #318
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm not one for screenshotting as a general rule, but I just remembered that I took this one last night. It was while I was on a stakeout, waiting to assassinate some hapless fool. The sky particularly caught my eye. I hadn't seen the aurora that colourful previously - it had always been a bit more of a uniform greenish colour. I'm not sure if it was the overcast conditions or some other factor, or just how it was meant to be. At first I thought it might have been a sunset/sunrise related thing, but I checked the in-game time and it was about 11.30pm. Anyway, enjoy:

Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #319
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
...What is the 'best' heavy armor set?

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #320
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
For non-unique, non-enchanted, non-improved armour, the progressions are as follows:

Light Armour
Shrouded -> Fur -> Hide -> Leather -> Elven -> Scale -> Glass -> Dragonscale

Heavy Armour
Iron -> Steel -> Dwemer/Dwarf -> Steel Plate -> Orcish -> Ebony -> Dragonplate -> Daedric
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5