Thread: The Old Republic for Dummies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #81
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You are meant to take the speeder past that area. The officer at the outpost that borders that area (the one with force fields and where the monster keeps spawning and charging at them) tells you not to go in.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #82
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
You are meant to take the speeder past that area. The officer at the outpost that borders that area (the one with force fields and where the monster keeps spawning and charging at them) tells you not to go in.
Well now I feel stupid. I'm usually a good listener, but that trooper must have bored me.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #83
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Well now I feel stupid. I'm usually a good listener, but that trooper must have bored me.
At least you went to the right planet.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #84
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
This is a tip more than a question: The are "exhaustion zones" on maps in this game. That basically means if you enter one, your health will slowly go down until you die. For example, if you try and run across Tatooine instead of taking the taxis from location to location, you will encounter these zones and die if you can't leave them fast enough. And to make it even worse, if you are on your speeder, it dismounts you, making it pretty much impossible to leave the exhaustion area before you die.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #85
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Hey, I just got my physical copy,
I'm in the game due to early access,...
When I put the CD in for the physical copy it asks if I want to uninstall the game?

Do i need to uninstall and reinstall the game?

Or do I just need to place the register code in and thats all?

I could not find anything explaining this in the forums at swtor

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #86
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You should only need the registration code, as you've already got the game client installed.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #87
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
You don't need to put in the CD if you already have the game on your PC. Just go to your account on the official swtor site and input the code you got in the packaging and that's that.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #88
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Thanks !

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #89
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Well, got my first embarrassing group quest done. There's this Heroic Quest on Dromund Kaas called 'Saving Face', I think, which consists of taking explosives and then installing them on a panel and defending the panel from Rebel slaves. The thing is, when my group member installed the explosives, the quest changed for both of us, but somehow, when we defeated the boss, the quest didn't update and we were randomly wandering through the area. We agreed to reset the quest, but then my group member left and my heart broke. :'(

Seriously, though, anyone have idea what's the problem here? I'm just wondering, usually both members of the group need to click on quest items and such to update the quest, but here it wasn't needed. Also, it may have had to do something with the fact somebody else was involved in fighting the boss, because the health bar was greyed out. Could that have been the problem?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #90
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
The greyed out health bar was the problem. You didn't get credited with the kill, it was that someone else that got the xp.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #91
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If multiple non-grouped people attack a mob, I would guess it will be whoever deals it the most damage that gets the credit for the kill.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #92
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I thought it was whoever damages the enemy first.

***I don't know if I would trust me on that without confirmation, look at who started this thread for Dummies.*** I was wrong corrected by Lynk. I thought it was targeted..

Last edited by mimartin; 12-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #93
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
If multiple non-grouped people attack a mob, I would guess it will be whoever deals it the most damage that gets the credit for the kill.
I thought that as well, but we were with two and two companions, the other was alone with a companion (I guess we gave him/her a present there).

Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #94
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Well, I did the quest again with a few people (who can thank me, I was significantly stronger than my last encounter with the Rebel Slaves) and obviously finished it.

But another questions arises from this experience. Can anyone explain how and when social points are supposed to work? I understand you need to bring in the mission with the party to get social points? The thing is, two of my group left after they had defeated the boss, but the remaining group member stayed until we finished the mission. I didn't get social points for that (and I'm sure of that, I'm still at 0 ).

Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #95
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You get social points for multiplayer dialogue, so you won't get any if you join a group and you have already completed the quest previously (and thus can't take part in the cutscenes). If you do a flashpoint (that you haven't done before) you'll get a bunch of social points, but even just questing around a planet you should get loads if you are grouped most of the time.

Social points can be used to gain access to social gear provided by the social vendor. It's mainly for role play type stuff from what I can see.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #96
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I'm not the best source, but since this is the first question asked in this thread, I’m not really sure anyone is the best source as I still don’t understand the mechanics of social points completely.

However, what I’ve noticed… My main character has like one social point (1/10). Got that one point (or 1/10 point) on the first planet when I played the heroic area and a other couple quests with a group. I’m pretty sure I got the point for winning a conversation roll. Other than killing a few eliets in groups, I played solo.

My other character, which is only finished the first planet, has Social: Social 1 232/750, but with that character I’ve only played in a qroup (100% with Lynk). Pretty sure it also has to do with gear rolls, but both Lynk and I were pretty good at letting each other pick what we wanted. I don’t know if we ever did a gear roll.

I know you can also win multiple conversations in a row. Either that or Lynk hacked the system because I know he won 3 in a row.

Quote:
Social points can be used to gain access to social gear provided by the social vendor. It's mainly for role play type stuff from what I can see.
I have my eye on a white party dress.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #97
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You get points for simply partaking in multiplayer dialogue, but you get about twice as many for each dialogue choice you win the roll for versus those you don't.

As for winning multiple dialogue choices in a row, yes I was obviously mistaken in my earlier post where I commented about them patching that out. I was sure I had read that in the patch notes for the final beta weekend, but perhaps I just imagined it.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #98
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Don’t take my statement as an attack or trying showing you up for being wrong. I wasn’t, I really appreciate your attempt to answer the question earlier and I have no doubt that you read it somewhere. I just lmao as Lynk won roll after roll, although we were pretty much picking the same answer every time. At least now I know Lynk wasn’t cheating.

Last edited by mimartin; 12-24-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #99
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Obviously the game likes me more...

Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #100
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Just to expand on the "rewards" of social points, as it's been said you can only equip certain items if you have a high enough social score. Some examples, Nar Shaddaa Social Vendor has Slave Metal Bikini gear, and Tatooine has Sand People gear, btw these are orange/custom gear, so you could potentially make them comparable to your other gear with mods. But some social vendor's all sell stuff like Speeders that you can only use with a high enough social score, so yeah mostly for RP uses, but there are alternate perks to the system as well.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #101
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
How do you level crafting skills? I've RE'd greens to get blues, and blues to get purples, but the rank 2 green/blue/purple schematics stop giving advancement in the skill before I can craft level 3 items. Do I have to RE purples to get oranges (or whatever it is)?
Old 12-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #102
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Go to the trainer for your crafting skills, there is one on the Fleet of course, and then most major cities have them. There you can buy higher level schematics. I don't know the exact spread but here's an example, if your skill in armstech is 160 and a schematic requires 100, you might not get a skill point for crafting it, but is the schematic requires 140 then you would. As you rank up your crafting skill you will unlock more and more schematics for purchase from the crafting skill trainer.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #103
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Ah. I had thought you'd just unlock schematics automatically as you levelled. I can see this is going to cost a hojillion dollars. My wallet is still stinging from the 210K I just forked out for the tier 2 speeder training at level 40.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #104
Zakhodit
Rookie

Quote:
Ah. I had thought you'd just unlock schematics automatically as you levelled. I can see this is going to cost a hojillion dollars. My wallet is still stinging from the 210K I just forked out for the tier 2 speeder training at level 40.
Also, your trainer only sells you GREEN schematics.

To unlock BLUE and PURPLE versions of items schematics you have to reverse engeneer items. A lot.

I'm not sure if there are any other factors that make the discovery of Blue and Purple schematics easier, so far it's been very random. A level 7 Red color crystal took me one time to learn the blue schematic. I still don't have the level 7 Blue color crystal schematic and I've dismantled countless crystals.

So basiclly, I go about it like this:

1)Build 2 of Item (green)
2)Reverse Engeneer each and hope I learn the (blue) schematic

If not, repeat steps one and two.
If so, then:

1)Build 2 of Item (blue)
2)Reverse Engeneer each and hope I learn the (purple) schematic

In therory there is a color above that (dark purple) but I haven't had the balls to tear apart my purple items to find out. At best you get about 50% of the materials back but sometimes it's less.

And fetching all the items for one Purple schematic can be very costly and time consuming. I have a purple schematic for a level 31 Enhancement. It took me 4 hours until my companions brought back the right combination of parts before I could build it. (Fracking Krayt Pearls are hard to come by)

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Zakhodit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #105
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Here's a tip for everyone.

If you have Minimech CE or any other pet, make sure to deploy them at all times because they're actually very useful and not just for show. I first discovered that enemies will follow the pet if you stray to close to them and they spot you.

But even better is what happens during combat. In the off chance that both you and your companion have been stunned, all enemies will cease attacking you and simply focus their attention on your pet and will do NOTHING for that few seconds you're out of commission.

They'll just look at your pet for that period of time XD

Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #106
Zakhodit
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
They'll just look at your pet for that period of time XD
That is handy. Time to get a mouse droid.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Zakhodit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #107
Emilio
Lurker

Hello all, new guy here...

I have a question about quest. Can you reset a completed quest and if so how long can you reset a quest after you complete it?
Emilio is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #108
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

I'm not sure, but I think, apart from Flashpoints and Operations, only the Heroic quests can be done again.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #109
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I first discovered that enemies will follow the pet if you stray to close to them and they spot you.
Not any more. That exploit is fixed in the latest patch:

NPCs no longer attempt to engage vanity pets in combat.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #110
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Not any more. That exploit is fixed in the latest patch:

NPCs no longer attempt to engage vanity pets in combat.
Rats.

Crafting is costing me an arm and a leg. But then I'm going through and crafting as I level. You only have to level your Crafting skill. The gathering skills automatically level.

Oh and just as a head's up. IF you don't like your helmet but like the stats(and it's not something you can rip the stats out of) you can hide your helmet. Under Preferences>Social>Show equipped helmet(I think that's what it's called). They have some good looking helmets, but some are.... ugh...

Oh and if you are in a group with someone and you get to the spot they are supposed to be, but they aren't there, chances are you have to switch "Worlds." Open your map and in the lower right hand corner should be the world instance you are in.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 12-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #111
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Level 25, smuggler, scoundrel (Healer)

Alright, think I’ve gotten this healer stuff down fairly well when it comes to fighting a boss. Can pretty much survive a single boss with no problem at all. Even a strong and an elite isn’t all that difficult (unless one notices me right away). My real problem is when there are three strong or above enemies. The third will always comes after me and by the time I’ve killed him, my companion is either dead or beyond saving.

Any tips for how to survive those encounters or other tips for a healer would be appreciated.

Like in a group, I know I need to heal everyone, but who is top priority? I assume it is the Tank, is that right?

Haven’t decided my feelings on a healer, it gets really frustrating in some battles. I’m pretty sure I’ve never played a game where I never did any damage in a boss battle until this past weekend. I spent the entire battle healing Bowdaar. Battle went fine just kind of annoying that it took forever. It would help if I could see the enemy’s health bar while healing my companion. At least it would let me know when it was safe to join in. Maybe there is, anyone know of a setting?

Last edited by mimartin; 12-27-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #112
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ DP: Knew it was too good to last x.x

Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #113
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
As a healer, you are experiencing the blow back of the same problems I discussed in my tank topic. Namely that tanks in TOR are currently too squishy and can't hold aggro worth a damn, especially when engaging groups of enemies. This applies to both player and companion tanks. You really don't start to progress to any sort of useful tank functionality until the mid-30s (and even then groups are still problematic). The best I can suggest is to always be at least a level above the rated level for any story quests by doing side quests and any other form of XP harvesting (exploring the map, doing space missions, etc). Hopefully that way your companion's stats will be high enough to survive.

Aggro is still a real problem though. The best you can do is make sure your companion has any taunts they have enabled and employ any stuns or similar abilities you have to try and tie up one strong/elite enemy while you dispatch the swarm of weak/normals. Consular Sages (and I assume their mirror Inquisitor Sorcerers as well) have a very useful ability in this regard - Force Lift - which they get very early on. Do Smugglers have something akin to that?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #114
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Once you do gain the useful tanking abilities in your 30s, you do become a pretty unstoppable tanking machine.... at least my Trooper Vanguard is with my experience.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #115
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post

Like in a group, I know I need to heal everyone, but who is top priority? I assume it is the Tank, is that right?
First of all, assess how good and bad your group is. I've noticed some fundamental floors in almost all the people I've encountered in groups, PVP and PVE.

People are attacking multiple elite bosses at the same time, instead of singling out targets. Supposed tanks are trying to kite and line of sight targets, and often times running out of the instance and resetting the battle, DPS'ers are misusing their skills and dragging aggro from the tanks... Its basically a Nightmare lol.

But anyway.
1) Keep yourself alive, if your not healed, no one is healed
2) Support the people who are attempting to follow the plan and complete the task at hand.

PVE is pretty straight forward heal yourself, heal the tank stay out of the fire, and pray the DPS posse stick to the plan. But In PVP, the group should attempt to kill the oppositions Healers first, their death will mean a quick demise for their DPS, the Tanks do less damage and can wait to be picked off last.

I find a lot of people trying to single out their opposite number (ie; Gunslinger vs Operative) for some epic showdown, or the whole group trying to kill the Tank.. who by the way is happy to stand there and get healed by the full health medic as the DPS in his group kill you all uninterrupted.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #116
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Once you do gain the useful tanking abilities in your 30s, you do become a pretty unstoppable tanking machine.... at least my Trooper Vanguard is with my experience.
At 41 as a Sith Warrior Juggernaut, unstoppable is not the first word that comes to mind. Single targets are fine, but groups (boss/elite with strongs) definitely still pose a problem, both in terms of survivability and holding aggro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
DPS'ers are misusing their skills and dragging aggro from the tanks
In my brief experience with group play as a low level Trooper Commando DPS running a 4 man Heroic and a Flashpoint, pulling aggro away from the tank is certainly an issue for DPS players. Steer clear of using any AOEs when engaging groups of elites. Also if you have it on, turn off the auto-target nearest in the preferences. That got me into trouble a couple of times.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #117
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ DP: Looks like the Vanguard, for now, makes the better tank then. No problem with aggro drawing DPS players either, I've played with both Jeff and Mav and they're rolling DPS (melee and ranged) and I can still take all the aggro with the Vanguard despite their attacks.

There was this one time in a flashpoint where we were taking on a boss who called in for reinforcements every so often. I managed to keep him focused on me as well as have the reinforcements chase me around the area as I kited them... I was pretty proud of the moment XD

<3 Vanguard

Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #118
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah I think ranged classes have the wood over melee classes atm, be it as tank or DPS.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #119
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Vanguard isn't as ranged as you think... 10m to 4m is its most effective area unlike the Commando which can stay back at 30m.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #120
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Aggro is still a real problem though.
I know you can’t do this as a tank, but as a healer…(Warning -most likely a real stupid idea)…What if I downgraded my armor, would that possibly make my Wookiee more of a target than me? He already has (for the most part) way better stuff than me. Think I have one implant better than him).

@adamqd – Thanks

I was having real trouble with three strong enemies at once. Died 8 or more times, went back repaired my gear and came back. Got back killed the respawned bad guys outside of camp and proceeded to complex entrance. A group of two must of saw me heal my Wookiee and invited me to join their group. Had to think about it for a few seconds, but by this point it was personal. The Wookiee and I got past our problem on our own. Not really sure what I did different, more like it was just a matter of luck.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > The Old Republic for Dummies