lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: kotor conversion mod
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
destroyer2678
Rookie

kotor conversion mod

hi everyone i am only knew to modding and thought to make a thread

i need ideas for a story line, planets lots...

so far it is on a Taanab mine and you recuit some npc into your team but cant get that to work yet

any help is welcome

ps need a name for mod
destroyer2678 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
So you want to make a total conversion mod but you still need ideas?

Reading this thread would be a great place to start!

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
destroyer2678
Rookie

yes i have already looked at that page

i wanted to make the mod with things that the public may want
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Snard
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR II
Oh dearest me, this is... this is...

What a ton of noobs do. *sigh* why do you think you can handle this? and what kind of modding have you got under your belt?

Snard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
destroyer2678
Rookie

none so it isnt going to be the best of mods, it will be at the other end of the scale
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Then leave this project. Do small stuff. Learn to mod before even considering this big of a mod.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
destroyer2678
Rookie

yeah, been thinking about it and might just make one planet instead that you fly to from the ebon hawk

can i use modules from kotor 1 in maps for 2?

Last edited by mimartin; 01-03-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
That is still too big. This game never had official modding support, so what we have to work with isnt the best. Making mods like this require a lot of skills with a lot of tools. I suggest taking one skill at a time, master it, then move to the next. Once you master those skills, if you still have interest, come back to this then. And no, you cannot use k1 modules in k2 or vice/versa. It's illegal.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
destroyer2678
Rookie

ok thanks, i was thinking of making kamino of kotor 2
Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
What's with all these Story/Total Conversions out of a sudden?

LF's New Years present?

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
destroyer2678
Rookie

sc's?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
Gorgod
Rookie

Current Game: Sex
Oh my lord.

Not only do you have extremely inept spelling skills, you insist that you can make a total conversion.

Alright, just please, start with the small stuff. I started with the small stuff, I just looked at a tutorial, and got to work. If you would just be patient and start out with the small stuff, maybe one day you can make a mod of this size. But sadly, for now, I suggest you start out with smaller things, such as changing an NPC's stats, writing a simple dialogue and putting it in-game, etc. etc.

I mean most of the Total Conversion threads I see are made by a poster with less than 5 posts, no avatar, and no experience modding KOTOR whatsoever. Please, read Canderis' link. If you cannot do all of that stuff (excluding the length part and modding over enjoyable things), you cannot do anything near a planet mod, let alone a TC or SC. I know I can't.

So please, start small, gradually expand your modding experience, and perhaps one day, like I said, you can make a TC. Just be patient and work hard and one day you can mod anything you want.

Gorgod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
destroyer2678
Rookie

just so you know i can spell well, it is the holidays.

I am doing a small on

could someone give a step by step way of going for place to place, the tuts that I found didn't help enough
Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
A planet is not a small mod. It's a large, very large, mod and will still take at least a year to do.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #15
destroyer2678
Rookie

its not a whole planet, only the ebon, dxun landing, czeka telos base at the moment
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
Snard
Rookie

Oh my god, I'm sorry but you aren't paying attention to anything people are saying.
Canderis says you should start something smaller, and you practically say " Yeah whatever dude".

You need to get modding down before you do anything. A planet mod is hard enough, a TC is like 7 of those plus characters, an ending, and cinematics.

Considering you have NO IDEA how to mod yet, just forget about making a TC before you get a bad rep as an overambitious modder.

I'm really not trying to put you down or anything, but i've seen to many of these and believe it or not, I was once one myself. I tried making a TC and was too ambitious, and it ultimately failed, and i even had mod experience. Think of what would happen to you if you have NONE.

Just think about what me and everyone else has said.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
destroyer2678
Rookie

this is smaller, three modules
Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
Kid you aren't going to get a planet mod made without starting out small, trust me I know. Just look at all this stuff:
This is the base folder for my unfinished planet my that I left behind after my skinner disappeared. Honestly do you know how much work that was? You need practice.

This is the lightmaps for ONE module, all that does is control the lighting and without a batch texture program it would take forever to do.

And some of the worse hell: XYZ placement for a tiny prison room for 1 set of items. TAKES FOREVER!

I am not trying to discourage you but a good quality mod, even a tiny planet, takes time and experience. Read every tutorial you can get your hand on, find every tool at your disposal, and make some small mods.

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #19
destroyer2678
Rookie

has no one seen how i am no longer doing a whole mod just three modules?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Have you read what we posted? 3 modules may not sound like a lot, but it really is. I made a 1 module hack n' slash module once. The mod took about 3 months to get right. Modules are not easy.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #21
Snard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer2678 View Post
has no one seen how i am no longer doing a whole mod just three modules?
You are just trying to justify what you tried to do in the first place. You don't realize how hard this will be. Also I find it ridiculous that you think you can do this, even though joined TODAY. And to agree with Gorgod, you have some pretty messed up grammar. Clear that up so you don't look foolish, child.

I'm trying not to be mean but I must be kind of rash right now.

You have no idea what you are doing or getting into. You will fail at this, no question, since you have no modding experience. it takes months just to master modding, let alone using that modding to do what modding was made for.

For some reason, you won't listen any of us. You CAN'T do this. I suggest you try something creating and skinning new items, learning 2da's, modelling, SOMETHING first, before you take on a task like this that most of our best modders can't even take on alone. Which is another thing, you are trying to do this ALONE. That is impossible I'm afraid. Even Trex(The Jedi Masters TC creator) gets help from other people, and he is a GOOD modder. I mean one of the BEST.

Think about this as well. Don't put more food on your plate than you can eat.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
Canaan Sadow

Current Game: Pokemon & K2
I've been thinking about how to reply all day. When I first saw the thread I rolled my eyes and went to reply after carefully reading each and everyone's post. In hindsight I didn't click the reply button to avoid sounding like an ass. But I'm back here and this time I don't give a damn how rude or assholish I sound. You are a ****ing noob when it comes right down to it. A lot of you guys just waltz right in and think that modding is going to be a cakewalk. Probably because you may (or may not) have modded DA:O which is a cakewalk. You have some of the communities best modders here trying to tell you how difficult it is to even make one module, yet you are callous enough to believe that you are better than they are, despite your lack of experience... and yeah, I do realize that happens, everyone is hardheaded and belief that they are the best in everything they do, even if they are simply mediocre or inexperienced. This is your problem. Get off this high pedestool you have put yourself on and listen to what these guys are saying, and no I'm not going to mirror what all they said, because it's in plain lettering above. If you don't like what they say, then by all means go attempt to make your planet, but when you inevitably fail, you can't say that they didn't try to tell you to start off smaller. All of the modders started off with humble origins, none of them just woke up one day and decided " Hm... I'm gonna blow the socks off of the KotOR modding community by making a great mod out of the blue." Which is what you are attempting to do. If you want my advice, listen to those more experienced and you'll find that you'll get more help as well as earn your own experience that these guys themselves already have.
Canaan Sadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
Ghost Down

Don't feed the troll.

Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan Sadow View Post
All of the modders started off with humble origins, none of them just woke up one day and decided " Hm... I'm gonna blow the socks off of the KotOR modding community by making a great mod out of the blue."
Actually that has happened. I started out with a storyline mod, but I spent about 3 months working on it before posting it. And in the long r.un, all of what I had done in the beginning was scrapped due to me learning new skills. It died, not for my lack of skill, but because I ran out of time, and star wars cannon changed. Logan23 was a noob when he started his TC but he was heavily motivated.

It can be done, but if you insist on trying to start with modules, be prepaired to scrap everything eventually when you realize it's crap. Starting slow i the best way to get into modding. This game is not easy to mod..

Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
Canaan Sadow

Current Game: Pokemon & K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
Actually that has happened. I started out with a storyline mod, but I spent about 3 months working on it before posting it. And in the long r.un, all of what I had done in the beginning was scrapped due to me learning new skills. It died, not for my lack of skill, but because I ran out of time, and star wars cannon changed. Logan23 was a noob when he started his TC but he was heavily motivated.
Well yeah, okay so there are some of you that did it. You spent three months working on yours before even posting a thread, you had given yourself a bit of experience by doing so. As for Logan, he had motivation this kid doesn't have. He's doesn't even know what he wants. All he knows is he wants a new planet. He doesn't have any idea what kind of a story line he wants for the planet, he doesn't know what to do with it.
Canaan Sadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #26
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan Sadow View Post
Well yeah, okay so there are some of you that did it. You spent three months working on yours before even posting a thread, you had given yourself a bit of experience by doing so. As for Logan, he had motivation this kid doesn't have. He's doesn't even know what he wants. All he knows is he wants a new planet. He doesn't have any idea what kind of a story line he wants for the planet, he doesn't know what to do with it.
Exactly.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
Gorgod
Rookie

Current Game: Sex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Down View Post
Don't feed the troll.
He's not a troll, he's just too blind/stupid/stubborn to realize that modding is pretty difficult and takes a lot of time to master.

Gorgod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Current Game: Kotor 1
Look, yes before someone points out I am a noob . But like me, I wanted a TC and just before I joined the forums I had started a planet mod, like you. And it got hard when I wanted all the stars in the galaxy to be in my mod. To be plain, it failed. I then tried some skinning, dialog creating and just listning to what more experienced modders say. Ive read many tutorials and tried to help out. So try to start small, read the tutorials, learn. Or you can ignore my advice (suit yourself) and all the other modders, who know what there talking about.

Think this through.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^

USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #29
darth-ackbar
Rookie

Current Game: The Search For Revan
look, destroyer2678, you need to listen to what people are saying. I've just started a TC mod and, yes i'm finding it seriously hard and, although i've only just signed up, I do have a few years experience in modding kotor. You've already said that you have no modding experience so how hard do you think this is going to be for you.

If you really want to make a TC mod, go for it, but do it in stages. Learn how to edit modules, make the modules, learn about UT... files, make your characters & placeables, learn about dialogue, make your dialogues, etc.

Seriously though, even with just 3 modules, if you want this mod to be decent it's going to take a LOT of work and you need to be really dedicated. Good Luck, though.

Search For Revan Website: www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com

Search For Revan LucasForums Thread

<a href=http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com target=_blank>http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com</a>
darth-ackbar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
Toasty Fresh
Rookie

I doubt you'll listen to this as you haven't listened to anything else in this thread but if you want to do things like create new storylines, environments, etc. then I suggest you get either Fallout 3 or Oblivion, and learn to do something there. Even though it's ten times as easier to do it there than in KoTOR, you'll still learn a lot, I'm talking from experience.

If you're desperate to mod for KoTOR then you really have to start small. Skin some weapons, make some weapons, make some tweaks, when you've MASTERED those things try and improve your skills with more advanced things. Gradually do these until you've got enough skill to do what you want, however even then it's going to be hard and very lengthy. Jesus, total conversions take ages and loads of dedication in games that DO have modding support, with KoTOR where you must rely on the community assets it's a huge undertaking.
Toasty Fresh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #31
destroyer2678
Rookie

probably should have come on yesterday and said that I stop it

with skinning of armours, it does not work, i used yellow in a spot so i could check if work but it was not there in the game just the normal colours

help here please
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #32
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef.../ArmorSkinning

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
destroyer2678
Rookie

doesnt work

how do i insert pics here

edited the echani battle armour and in game it is the light battle armour

Last edited by mimartin; 01-03-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
1. Please use the edit button and do not double post.

2. My grandmother always said you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. It seems an appropriate message here. You can tell someone that the scope of their vision is beyond their ability, but nothing says they have to listen to you. There is no reason to get testy about it. Some can only learn by making the mistake themselves.

Being someone that lacks the knowledge or patience to mod games, I lack the perspective to understand the difficulity. In my years here I have seen some truly amazing mods created by some truly creative people. Some of these people started their modding hobby by announcing a truly ambitious project that never came to fruition or came to fruition in an entirely different manner than they originally described. What if they had been stifled in their original attempt by the community?

destroyer2678 many of those replying in this tread are veteran modders within the community. Despite appearances they are not trying to rude, but are trying to save you time and frustration in dealing with something clearly extremely difficult and time consuming to pull off. While I don’t want to discourage anyone from following their creative vision and don’t know enough about modding to give any advise. I will write that if I were you, I would look at some of the current popular mods in Holowan, look at who created them , then look at their posts and other information (helpful badge) to determine whom to seek advice from.

That written, everyone you have given your advice, destroyer2678 can use it or not that is entirely up to him, please stop spamming this thread now. This goes for this thread and future threads too. There is no rule against TC threads.

destroyer2678 please stop double posting and spamming the thread. Please read the forum rules and Holowan’s rules.

Last edited by mimartin; 01-04-2012 at 11:38 AM.
mimartin is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer2678 View Post
How do I insert pics here?
Read this thread for information.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #36
destroyer2678
Rookie

one thing I noticed with the skinning stuff is the tutorial is for kotor 1, does this matter for kotor 2?

also still cant get the armour to look like my edited one. I am using PMBC03 with a_medium_04.uti and how do i put things here for others to download

Last edited by destroyer2678; 01-04-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #37
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Current Game: Kotor 1
erm, i use this site (public no signing up)
http://www.mediafire.com/
Not the best but helpful for quick releases

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^

USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > kotor conversion mod