lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: PC Crawling For a Second or 2!
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Jan Gaarni
Grand Moff

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Exclamation PC Crawling For a Second or 2!

Okay, I'm getting sick and tired of being shot in games because my computer randomly slows down to a crawl.

Symptoms are as follows:
- Grafix freezes up.
- Sound crackles kinda, but not noise crackling, but the sound you hear at that moment. It could be in-game sound, or just plain music or video while not in-game.
- I die for the umpteenth time!!!! Okay, not really a symptom.

My system and accessories:
Mainboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70, Socket-AM3 (BIOS default)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
RAM: 2 x Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB, CL9
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 (software and drivers updated)
Soundcard: Creative X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY champ (software and drivers updated)
Headset: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 (software and drivers updated)

Now, this problem never occured before I switched from my old nVidia GPU to this Radeon one. I switched it out about 6-7 months ago, but the problems didn't manifest themself until a couple of months ago (tops). But, I thought I'd give it a go and switch back to the old one (Gainward GeForce GTX 275 896MB PhysX) just to check. De-installed everything Radeon, and installed the newest nVidia drivers and software.

No go, still the same problem.

Okay, so I started to think maybe there was a problem with the headset I had bought 5 months ago, so I tried de-installing that. Still the problem occured.

Tried watching the list of processes running to see if I could spot something that was hogging the CPU. Had problems with Search & Destroy's Tea-Timer feature way back in the days on the old computer which resembled this problem, but alas I can't see anything out of the ordinary.

So I'm kinda at a loss here what could be causing this.
And short of installing Win 7 all over again, is there any tips you guys can give on this subject?

If you require a soundfile example of what it sounds like then I'm sure I can provide.

Empire At War Moderator
&
SWGalaxies Moderator

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
- May the pants be with you!

A smile is the shortest distance between people - Victor Borge!

Custom Avatar by Wraith 8
Jan Gaarni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > PC Crawling For a Second or 2!