lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #641
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschram92 View Post
Hey, new to the forums. Just tried EVERYTHING. Still when I start it simply says KOTOR has stopped working. I used the Launch file in the main folder and I got to the front menu with music but it says "Please insert disk" I got the game off Steam. So i don't know what to do now...
Thanks

Edit: I am running Windows 7 on a Hp Dv6

6gb ram
i7 quad core
raedon hd6670 1 gb ddr5
Since you have the Steam version, you didn't try to patch the game or replace the .exe, did you?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #642
gschram92
Lurker

Umm yes I believe I did. I know I patched it manually. I thought the only thing you need to NOT do was the mss thing
gschram92 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #643
gschram92
Lurker

I just uninstalled and will start from scratch. Which steps do I do, or if easier, which DON'T I do?

Thanks again
Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #644
gschram92
Lurker

OKay I believe my problem is with the Open GL. I posted the specs of the test on the last page in my initial post. I tried what #2 said and it didnt work.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #645
Q
The one who knocks

The Steam version is supposed to compatible with Vista/7 without any fixes.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #646
gschram92
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
The Steam version is supposed to compatible with Vista/7 without any fixes.
Well it most certainly does not. I start it up and immediately says " KOTOR has stopped working" and then closes. When I use the launcher I get that menu, Press game then same thing and it brings me to the configure tool and does the scan that says I don't pass the Open GL thing. Thats when I use the run in XPSP2 otherwise I fail the OS test as well.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #647
Q
The one who knocks

I'd try reinstalling it from scratch, but not doing any of the fixes. If it still won't work, you'll need to contact Steam. I have no idea how to get their version working.

-Toker
Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #648
gschram92
Lurker

Quote:
I'd try reinstalling it from scratch, but not doing any of the fixes. If it still won't work, you'll need to contact Steam. I have no idea how to get their version working.
No its says it supports Windows Xp and Vista, not Win7...so shouldn't these fixes work?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #649
Q
The one who knocks

Those fixes in post 2 are for the disk versions of the games. Win7 is basically Vista 1.1, so if it works on Vista, it should work on 7. If it doesn't, you need to take it up with Steam.

-Toker
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #650
gschram92
Lurker

I looked on their site and it says if the problem is not in a Steam dialogue box then to take it up with the game publisher, i.e. lucas arts. I looked there and it asked what OS I have and Win 7 wasnt one of the, should I say windows vista anyway?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #651
ricesp75
Lurker

Q, I have spent a day trying to get SWKotoR 2 (previously used, 4-disk set) to play on Windows 7 professional. I am having the issue where the game crashes right after character creation (after completing the installation). I have patched everything that was suggested and followed everything in post #2. When I emailed SecuROM with the analysis file, they said the issue is not SecuROM related and to contact the software Publisher or the Online Distributor for further support options related to issues specific to the software.

Where the heck do I go from here? Is there any other way I can manually fix it myself (I can provide my laptop specs or other info to help with suggestions)? Please help!
ricesp75 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #652
Q
The one who knocks

Try using the original swkotor2.exe (the one that the patch installed) first.

If that doesn't work:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
  • If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and right-click on it. Select "properties", then "compatibility" and check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.
You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschram92 View Post
I looked on their site and it says if the problem is not in a Steam dialogue box then to take it up with the game publisher, i.e. lucas arts. I looked there and it asked what OS I have and Win 7 wasnt one of the, should I say windows vista anyway?
My guess here would be a "yes".

-Toker
Old 01-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #653
ricesp75
Lurker

Quote:
Try using the original swkotor2.exe (the one that the patch installed) first.
the one from sw_pc_english_from200424_to210427.exe ? i believe ive tried both, and the original exe doesnt even go to the character creator. I will try both again today, and if they still dont work ill post my hardware specs. thanks again
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #654
ricesp75
Lurker

here ya go Q:

[SWKotOR]
ReportDateTime=1/8/2012 11:13:27 PM
SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60
GameExists=1
GameVersion=v2.00.424
GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]
Name=WinXP
Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2
Service Pack=Service Pack 2
Status=Pass

[SwapFiles]
?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=1728
CPUFamily=6
CPUModel=15
CPUStepping=13
CPUVendor=Intel
CPUName=Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz
Status=Pass

[Memory]
RAM=1024
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=11.68GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=D:\,E:\
Drives=TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H ATA Device

[Video]
Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD
Video Memory=512
Desktop Resolution=1280x800x32 @ 60Hz
DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=2.0.0 - Build 8.14.10.1930
OpenGL Vendor=Intel
OpenGL Renderer=Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator
Vid Card Status=Warning
Vid Card Driver Status=Pass
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)
Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=800
Height=600
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Sound Options]
Music Volume=85
Voiceover Volume=85
Sound Effects Volume=85
Movie Volume=85
Number 3D Voices=32
Number 2D Voices=32
2D3D Bias=1.00
Force Software=0
EAX=0
Sound Init=0
Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]
V-Sync=0
Anisotropy=1
Frame Buffer=1
Anti Aliasing=0
Texture Quality=0
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=1
Shadows=1
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=1
Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1
RefreshRate=60
Width=800
Height=600
Emitters=1

[Game Options]
Enable Tooltips=1
Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000
Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000
Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000
TextureVariation=0
BodyVariation=0
AppearanceType=0
PCGender=0
GameCompleted=0
CurSithLord=0
Hide InGame GUI=0
Use Small Fonts=0
Hide Unequippable=0
Tutorial Popups=1
Subtitles=1
Mini Map=1
Floating Numbers=1
Status Summary=1
Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1
Mouse Sensitivity=44
Difficulty Level=1
Auto Level Up NPCs=0
Mouse Look=0
AutoSave=1
EnableScreenShot=0
Reverse Mouse Buttons=0
Reverse Ingame YAxis=0
Reverse Minigame YAxis=0
Combat Movement=1
UnlockedPlanetSongs=1
TooltipDelay Sec=1
Disable Movies=0
Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #655
Jawanaka
Lurker

Quote:
Yes, there is. You're going to have to roll back your video drivers to an older version. This is the oldest version I could find for 32-bit Vista.

Replacing your drivers with an older version is a complicated process because the newer drivers will always leave junk files behind. These have to be eliminated or they will mess up the installation of the older ones.

1) Download and install Driver Sweeper and CCleaner. If the installation packages contain adware, be careful not to install it as well.

2) Go to Start>Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a program and uninstall the AMD/ATI drivers, Catalyst Control Center and anything else that has anything to do with them, then reboot.

3) Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 at POST screen when the computer first powers up), login to the administrator account and run Driver Sweeper. When it's done it will prompt you to reboot, so do so, but into Normal Mode this time.

4) Run CCleaner's registry cleaner. It will prompt you to back up your registry first, and I would do so, then fix any issues and reboot into Normal Mode again.

5) Now you can install the new (old) drivers.
Okay, so this is going to be the most techignorant question ever but...I can't find the drivers listed when I boot the uninstall program screen. Should I run uninstall drivers from the proprieties screen or the restore earlier drivers from the aforementioned? Or is there a third way I missed?
Jawanaka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #656
Q
The one who knocks

^It should be listed as "Catalyst Control Center".

Otherwise, yeah, you can uninstall the drivers from the properties window just like you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricesp75 View Post
here ya go Q:
Your hardware is very similar to my notebook's. Did the game patch OK? The only swkotor2.exe that would work with that laptop was the updated one from SecuROM + the original game disk.

-Toker
Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #657
ricesp75
Lurker

Quote:
Your hardware is very similar to my notebook's. Did the game patch OK? The only swkotor2.exe that would work with that laptop was the updated one from SecuROM + the original game disk.
I believe so, I follewed all of your steps up to 11, and I have all 4 original disks. I put all of the patches in the kotor2 folder, then opened the 1st (with the exe) from inside the folder and it patched all 6 movie files, and then I did the same with music one and the sw_pc_english_from200424_to210427.exe (and it said I had updated to 1.0b). during the "scan hardware" you suggested, it said that the video setting was in yellow (the NVidia?). should I look to fix that?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #658
Q
The one who knocks

But you don't have an Nvidia GPU. At least the game doesn't think that you do.

-Toker
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #659
ricesp75
Lurker

Oh, I thought that was a driver. is there anything I can do to make it a green dot then? would that fix anything?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #660
Q
The one who knocks

Nope. You have an Intel X3100 GPU. It'll run the game, but just barely. You'll need to turn off all of the eye candy options in the graphics menu.

-Toker
Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #661
Jawanaka
Lurker

Quote:
^It should be listed as "Catalyst Control Center".

Otherwise, yeah, you can uninstall the drivers from the properties window just like you said.
Okay cool. Thought Catalyst and the actual drivers were separate programs or at least would be listed as such.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #662
ricesp75
Lurker

Quote:
Nope. You have an Intel X3100 GPU. It'll run the game, but just barely. You'll need to turn off all of the eye candy options in the graphics menu.
turned off eye candy as shown here in step 1 http://maketecheasier.com/6-essentia...s-7/2009/12/30

still not working, still crashing right after I finish character creation. Should I just uninstall it and go through the steps again? Is there another way I should have installed the patches (honestly it was the first time ive ever had to do something like that, never knew about patches or how to apply them)?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #663
Q
The one who knocks

Yeah, I would try reinstalling from scratch.

-Toker
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #664
xyzombie89
Lurker

I've recently tried to install KOTOR II on my windows 7 laptop, I just installed and ran through KOTOR 1, I had applied the lastest patch to KOTR 1, and installed the fix win7/vista mss32dll file, before it would run.
I uninstalled KOTOR 1 and went to install KOTOR II it would say missing mss32dll file, so I went back installed KOTOR applied patch and dll fix, then I installed KOTOR II I downloaded the lastest patch after and Downloaded the mss32dll and copied it to my game root folder, however when I create a new character and go to press play, as soon as the opening movie ends it give the stop working error and I have to close. What am I missing?

I'm using a Dell inspiron 15 R 6 gigs ram, i-5 processor 2.3 ghs - 3ghs speed.
and a intel hd 3000 graphics card. KOTOR 1 ran fine so what did have I done incorrectly on this installation? I also downloaded theses direct-x files dxwebsetup and the directx_Jun2010_redist package any help would be much appreciated.
xyzombie89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #665
Q
The one who knocks

Did you follow the directions in the second post when installing?

-Toker
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #666
xyzombie89
Lurker

Yes still as soon as the movie ends the stops working notification is up every time.
I will reinstall again however just to be sure, should I remove the mss32dll from the KOTOR 1 folder?

edit reinstalled again following post 2 instructions still after movie ends stopped working error comes up.

Last edited by xyzombie89; 01-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #667
Jawanaka
Lurker

Quote:
Yes, there is. You're going to have to roll back your video drivers to an older version. This is the oldest version I could find for 32-bit Vista.

Replacing your drivers with an older version is a complicated process because the newer drivers will always leave junk files behind. These have to be eliminated or they will mess up the installation of the older ones.

1) Download and install Driver Sweeper and CCleaner. If the installation packages contain adware, be careful not to install it as well.

2) Go to Start>Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a program and uninstall the AMD/ATI drivers, Catalyst Control Center and anything else that has anything to do with them, then reboot.

3) Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 at POST screen when the computer first powers up), login to the administrator account and run Driver Sweeper. When it's done it will prompt you to reboot, so do so, but into Normal Mode this time.

4) Run CCleaner's registry cleaner. It will prompt you to back up your registry first, and I would do so, then fix any issues and reboot into Normal Mode again.

5) Now you can install the new (old) drivers.
So I tried the options outlined above to no avail. For some reasons the "new" drivers will not install correctly, the standard VGA card remains the primary card and I can play a grand total of zero games (not to mention the lowered screen resolution). I changed back to the abovementioned standard settings under which I of course cannot play kotor. Anyone know why the drivers refuse to install properly?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #668
Q
The one who knocks

^Are you using 32-bit Vista, or 64-bit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzombie89 View Post
Yes still as soon as the movie ends the stops working notification is up every time.
I will reinstall again however just to be sure, should I remove the mss32dll from the KOTOR 1 folder?

edit reinstalled again following post 2 instructions still after movie ends stopped working error comes up.
Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
  • If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and right-click on it. Select "properties", then "compatibility" and check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.
You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

-Toker
Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #669
xyzombie89
Lurker

[SWKotOR]
ReportDateTime=1/13/2012 4:49:07 PM
SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60
GameExists=1
GameVersion=v2.10.427
GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]
Name=WinXP
Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2
Service Pack=Service Pack 2
Status=Pass

[SwapFiles]
?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]
CPUCount=4
CPUSpeed=2294
CPUFamily=6
CPUModel=10
CPUStepping=7
CPUVendor=Intel
CPUName= Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Status=Pass

[Memory]
RAM=1024
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=486.03GB
Y: (NTFS), UNICODE=6.81GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=D:\
Drives=MAT****A DVD+-RW UJ8B1,MAT****A DVD+-RW UJ8B1 ATA Device

[Video]
Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD
Video Memory=2048
Desktop Resolution=1366x768x32 @ 60Hz
DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2361
OpenGL Vendor=Intel
OpenGL Renderer=Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Vid Card Status=Warning
Vid Card Driver Status=Pass
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=Speakers / Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]
FullScreen=1
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=640
Height=480
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

[Sound Options]
Music Volume=85
Voiceover Volume=85
Sound Effects Volume=85
Movie Volume=85
Number 3D Voices=32
Number 2D Voices=32
2D3D Bias=1.00
EAX=0
Sound Init=0
Disable Sound=0
Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]
Anisotropy=1
Frame Buffer=0
Grass=0
Soft Shadows=0
Shadows=0
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=0
RefreshRate=60
Width=800
Height=600
V-Sync=0
Texture Quality=0
Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]
Enable Tooltips=1
Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000
Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000
Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000
TextureVariation=0
BodyVariation=0
AppearanceType=0
PCGender=0
GameCompleted=0
CurSithLord=0
Hide InGame GUI=0
Use Small Fonts=0
Hide Unequippable=0
Tutorial Popups=1
Subtitles=1
Mini Map=1
Floating Numbers=1
Status Summary=1
Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1
Mouse Sensitivity=44
Difficulty Level=1
Auto Level Up NPCs=0
Mouse Look=0
AutoSave=1
EnableScreenShot=0
Reverse Mouse Buttons=0
Reverse Ingame YAxis=0
Reverse Minigame YAxis=0
Combat Movement=1
UnlockedPlanetSongs=1
TooltipDelay Sec=1
Disable Movies=1

[config]
firstrun=0
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #670
Q
The one who knocks

I see no Dantooine lag fix under [Graphics Options].

If it's crashing right after the 1st movie, try using the original swkotor2.exe from the patch instead of the one that was updated by SecuROM.

-Toker
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #671
xyzombie89
Lurker

Used .EXE from patch same result stopped working pops up after movie ends.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #672
Q
The one who knocks

I'm out of ideas, then. Sorry.

-Toker
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #673
xyzombie89
Lurker

Well thanks for the help anyway.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #674
Jawanaka
Lurker

Quote:
^Are you using 32-bit Vista, or 64-bit?
32 bit. Should have added that earlier, sorry
Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #675
Q
The one who knocks

Give this a try.

-Toker
Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #676
Jawanaka
Lurker

Quote:
Give this a try.
Will do. Same installation process?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #677
Q
The one who knocks

Yes. It's just a newer version of the drivers.

AMD/ATI are notoriously bad with the KotOR games, and it usually comes down to finding the right drivers. Unfortunately it's hit or miss.

-Toker
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #678
Jawanaka
Lurker

^These drivers worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #679
Q
The one who knocks

You're welcome.

-Toker
Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #680
Prophet_Sage
Lurker

KOTOR 2 doesen't work for me :(

I have a laptop with win 7 home premium
Dual core 2.10 GHz and 3 GB RAM 32 bit
My graphic card is Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express chipset family

My problem:
The games works perfectly until i start a new game and create a charachter. It crashes after the STAR WARS intro.

I Know many have this problem and some claimed to solve it. But i've tried everything on this thread so far and even on other forums:
Compatibilty to both .exe files were set to WIN XP SP 2
I tried numerous dll files and it still doesen't work.

It is most likely i'm doing something wrong i guess...

So, can anyone help me please? Thanks.
Prophet_Sage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report