lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What is your vidya style on your first playthrough of a game?
Slow and deliberate (trying to figure the game out and see everything) 27 57.45%
Fast , fast and faster 1 2.13%
The pace that best fits the story. 8 17.02%
Letís see how this works 3 6.38%
Just play and have fun. 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What is your vidya style on your first playthrough of a game?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
What is your vidya style on your first playthrough of a game?

What is your vidya style on your first playthrough of a game?

Do you poke around and try to find everything?

Do you power through it so you can be finished before everyone else?

Do you try to figure the game out, what triggers what?

Do you role play it, become the character?

Do you just play it to relax and take a moment to forget real life?

Asking because I just finished 10 days and 10 hours play time in TOR. Not sure I have ever spent that much time playing one character in one playthrough. Also donít know if I ever had that much fun playing something that completely goes against my normal first playthrough playing style. I usually just concentrate on getting the main story line done. Too impatient to set back and enjoy the ride, so I power through. Not to finish before others, but to see what happens. Deal with the details in the 2nd and/or 3rd playthrough.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Horribly, Dreadfully, Painfully slow and extensive.
It's why my Skyrim game, I'm still on the "first" character (that I didn't ragequit) for well over 300+ hours now

It's why I'm still on the 2nd planet for both my ToR characters... and why every time I start Fallout 3.. I know it's going to be well over 70+ hours

It's probably why I enjoy sandbox games moreso than FPS as I'm far too curious (slow) to be effective in that genre. Gawdz forbid I started a MW or CoD game. I'd be too busy exploring the emtpy buildings (and getting sniped/headshotted 40x) rather than shooting someone.

In all honesty.. I seriously doubt I could pull off enjoying a game any faster than Mass Effect or Fallout (tame in comparison to all the other FPS-ish combatwise games out there).

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I'm a completionist at heart, so yes, my first playthrough usually goes quite slowly as I want to know, see and do everything the game has to offer. Like Chainz, this is quite obvious when playing a game lik TOR, where I really want to do all quests, when other players would just abandon them.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I by no means did all the quest in TOR, I haven't done but a few of the flashpoints and heroic mission, but I'm fairly sure I got most of the side quest and bonus mission. Would have love to do the flashpoints and heroic too, but it just wasn't possible with my PC. I got killed every time I tried a Heroic plus 2 with her. I could sneak into the area, but just couldn't do the quest solo.

I was surprised when I asked questions about the bonus missions that the speedy players did not do all the planet bonus missions.

Last edited by mimartin; 02-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I tend to take things super slow. I always do my best not to miss anything and when I do it irritates the crap out of me. My goal is to get through the story collecting all the items ( if any ) and earning all achievements possible while I enjoying the storyline. If something is too difficult though I'll skip over it first play through and probably never come back for even though I mean to.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I tend to be an explorer, so I end up look around at everything there is to see and do in a game.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I remember my first datacron..... I like my playthrough by playing and getting the best armor as possible and look like a Jedi Master/Sith Lord, as right now im a lv 31 Sith Juggernaut, Lord Salvik. I love the armor im curently wearing, I will post new pics of my character with cool armor in my Social Group. And back to topic, Im not really much of an explorer, I usually hate that. But I kill everything I see and continue with my story. (Love my new companion, Jaesa Willsamms)

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Pretty slow I guess... but I do tend to miss a few things out of laziness too.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It generally depends of the game. If it's a long game, I will only try to find everything on the second playthrough. If it's a small or simple game, I'll complete it on the first. But in both cases I just play and have fun, so that gets my vote.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Pretty slow I guess... but I do tend to miss a few things out of laziness too.
This.

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
Most often I play through a "chapter", then do it again skipping through the dialouge and making it through as efficiently as possible

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
SLOOOOW

An average Fallout New Vegas playthrough takes about 100-130 hours. (FAR superiour to Fallout 3 btw)
Elder Scrolls is even worse about 200+
So yeah I love exploring! And killing random dragons/raiders/magical creatures in a variety of ways.

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I usually play it SLLLOOOOWWWW (especially Mass Effect), but I also try to escape from Real Life and have fun with it. I HATE rushing through stuff.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
When it comes to true RPGs such as Skyrim, or, more recently, Kingdoms of Amalur, I take my time and enjoy every aspect. I do all quests, search every part of the world for treasures etc.
You don't get your money's worth otherwise, I don't think.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
d3sd0
Rookie

I'm dreadfully slow, I try to do all the sidequests humanly possible (and not possible), so I end up getting sick of the game and moving to another for a while. That's why in mass effect I have almost 26 hours and I've only done Noveria and most of Feros... \m/ but I also get sort of lazy so sometimes I'll skip a bunch of sidequests just to keep going through the game and progress. That's also why I haven't completed many games.... and I sometimes end up making multiple players and get to a certain point and stop... So if I were to vote a second time, I would say "Just to have fun and forget real life for a moment" because isn't that ultimately why most of us play games? Forget real life for a minute and relax, enjoy the story? For me, going slow is part of that just enjoying the game. Well anyways, that was my rant. Sorry if you read the whole thing and wasted your time, meh. :/

To know that one has breathed easier because you have lived is to have succeeded.

Last edited by d3sd0; 02-12-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Left something out the first time around, no worries.
d3sd0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I'm a completionist at heart, so yes, my first playthrough usually goes quite slowly as I want to know, see and do everything the game has to offer. Like Chainz, this is quite obvious when playing a game lik TOR, where I really want to do all quests, when other players would just abandon them.
Ditto. I like doing all the quests, and I like to explore every nook and cranny. (Although I have found that if I *do* complete all the quests, I'm sometimes at a higher level than I should be for the next phase which can be disappointing if it makes things too easy.)

But I have to say the artwork in TOR is brilliant, and the background NPCs are so amusing to watch. Think I spent nearly half an hour in one part of the game just looking at stuff and 'people' watching. My second TOR character is progressing faster than my first, but I'm still finding things that I missed first time around.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)