lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #961
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
It's the marketing that's really bugging me. Here's one such example.
I preferred the original version of the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
at least they've toned it down a little compared to DA2, where they were even offering DLC if you bought swords from an online weapons shop.
Don't speak too soon. Remember that they are making all those full scale ME guns. Don't be surprised if you see exactly the same thing occurring.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #962
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Alienating their fanbase? With everything they have done do you really think they even consider that when they make decisions?
Probably, though I'm sure it's weighted among the least of concerns as despite all the complaining, the money keeps rolling in anyway. So, maybe it'll be barely interesting to see to what extent the Origin issue impacts their PC sales numbers.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #963
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I doubt sales figures will make any impact on their marketing decisions. If PC sales go down in comparison to ME2, they'll just blame that old standby piracy.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #964
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
(I'm assuming they are xbox 360 copies).
Or PC copies that can't be played until release day anyway since Origin won't allow online product activation earlier than that.

mt
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #965
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hessian View Post

EDIT: I have a few bones to pick with this DLC. A Prothean squad member?! Let me guess: He's been in stasis on some forgotten world for the last 50,000 years, just waiting for Shepard to come and rescue him and then pledging his undying loyalty to help save the galaxy from the Reapers which destroyed his people...

How would he communicate with anyone? Shepard might understand the Prothean language, but he can't speak it. I’ll bet he’s some kind of super-smart type who can learn an entire language just be hearing a few words of it. Can’t wait to see how the geniuses at Bioware/EA are going to explain this one.
Sorry to rewinds a bit here, but I have problems with these objections. The 50,000-years-in-stasis thing is a bit odd yeah, but Vigil lasted quite a while and they knew where he/she/it was, I'm guessing the Reapers had no such luck with Prothy. Slightly tricky to explain, but not a patch on most of ME3s plot points are going to be.

The translation point: not an issue. How do all the species communicate in the first place? Drell and Turians sure as sh- do not speak English. In a conversation in ME2 with Thane, Shepard mentions that her 'translator just glitched' when he calls her 'Siha'. This, to me, implies some sort of universal translation device, something that is hardly inconceivable given that it would be a top priority of any set of civilisations looking to form a galactic government. So: the Protheans are extremely intelligent, we know this. It's not a massive stretch to imagine some way (i'm no expert, but w/e) of merging the Prothean language into this thing.

That's how I see it anyway.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #966
Red Hessian

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
The translation point: not an issue. How do all the species communicate in the first place? Drell and Turians sure as sh- do not speak English. In a conversation in ME2 with Thane, Shepard mentions that her 'translator just glitched' when he calls her 'Siha'. This, to me, implies some sort of universal translation device, something that is hardly inconceivable given that it would be a top priority of any set of civilisations looking to form a galactic government. So: the Protheans are extremely intelligent, we know this. It's not a massive stretch to imagine some way (i'm no expert, but w/e) of merging the Prothean language into this thing.

That's how I see it anyway.
You forgot one thing: Prothean is a dead language. There are no known translations and no known speakers of the language (Shepard probably being the exception on account of the Cipher).

And regarding the translation device - a quote from a codex entry:
"Newly discovered or obscure races don't have machine translation available until the linguists have had time to study them."
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #967
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I doubt sales figures will make any impact on their marketing decisions. If PC sales go down in comparison to ME2, they'll just blame that old standby piracy.
People will always believe what they want to believe, esp if it goes against their biz model. Part of the reason I said "barely". I suspect, though, that their PC sales probably won't be hurt too badly by the platform issue in the end.

@Sal--I basically concur. I figured some kind of universal translator as well, w/language translations having been compiled by EDI or some other form of AI. Also, given that most of those conversations are likely between Shep and Prothy and not with other crew, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #968
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
People moan if DLC takes too long... people moan if DLC is too fast... Are people ever happy.

Controversial Day-1 Mass Effect 3 DLC Prompts Calls to Boycott

Me...I would rather it come out right away. At least then I can play it and get back to TOR ASAP.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #969
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Well, as I basically intended to get the CE this time around (didn't for other/s), it sounds like it won't be a problem for me. That said, if they're releasing fee-based DLC the same day the game comes out, it looks cheap......but, it is their product to do as they please, so to speak.

@mim--
Quote:
Are people ever happy.
Trick question, right?

@Astor--I agree that the "unethical biz practices" accusation was over the top.

Last edited by Totenkopf; 02-23-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #970
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC World
The announcement of From Ashes, a downloadable content pack for Mass Effect 3 that will be available when the game launches on March 6th, has brought about accusations that Electronic Arts and BioWare are exploiting their customers through unethical business practices.

Not saying I agree with Day 1 DLC, but such accusations are, to me at least, ridiculous.

It's a tired old cliché now, but no-one is making you buy it.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #971
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
People moan if DLC takes too long... people moan if DLC is too fast... Are people ever happy.

Controversial Day-1 Mass Effect 3 DLC Prompts Calls to Boycott

Me...I would rather it come out right away. At least then I can play it and get back to TOR ASAP.
Much like with PETA protests, my response is to point and laugh. When was the last time a boycott actually worked?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #972
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Lynk and Astor brought up a good point on Skype (they remember there was day one DLC for ME2), for those upset about the DLC on day one...Were you just as upset when ME2 had Normandy Crash Site and Zaeed - The Price of Revenge day one releases.

Like I wrote, don't care faster is better to me. If they are included with the CE, I'm happy, if not I'll moan a little and still buy them as soon as they are released.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #973
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Lynk and Astor brought up a good point on Skype (they remember there was day one DLC for ME2), for those upset about the DLC on day one...Were you just as upset when ME2 had Normandy Crash Site and Zaeed - The Price of Revenge day one releases.
The difference there is that those were free to everyone with Cerberus Network access (basically everyone who bought a new copy). Also, several later DLC's, such as Firewalker were also free.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #974
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Wait a minute. How exactly do you boycott something that isn't released?

And I generally don't really care. I already have the N7 Edition pre-ordered for my Xbox. And even if I didn't get the N7 Edition, I wouldn't care anyways.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #975
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
The Space Edition thing looks cool, I'll definately keep track, however I doubt a game will fly from London to Manchester :P

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #976
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
The difference there is that those were free to everyone with Cerberus Network access (basically everyone who bought a new copy). Also, several later DLC's, such as Firewalker were also free.
This.

I don't think the problem is having "Day One DLC". I think the problem is having "Day One DLC that you're going to have to pay $10 more to get". At some point it feels as though the developer sees you less as a valued customer and more as a mark to be bilked.

Honestly, DLC as a whole feels like the latter, but at least by waiting, everyone can pretend it's more like the former.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #977
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I generally don't buy DLC at all no matter what... I don't really count the DLC as part of the game anyway, even if it is free... so if the game as its released is lacking then with or without DLC it's a crappy game.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #978
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Okay Bioware has released the Voice Commands for those that will use Kineck on the 360.

Not that big a deal, but it does include crew spoilers, something some of us knew ***looks at ChAiNz and Lynk***, but wanted confirmed. So read at your own risk to know who will and may not be a party member.

Mass Effect 3 Kinect Voice Commands Detailed

Last edited by mimartin; 02-24-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #979
LDR
Your Death Angel

Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
spoiler:
No Wrex, no EDI, no Prothean...

We need an updated list.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #980
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
The Prothean is called Sir Canon-Fodder. Betcha.

As for the voice commands, a certain squadmate made me very happy!! As it will Chainz!

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #981
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
We need an updated list.
I'm guessing that only included permanent squad members.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #982
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Mass Effect 3 Space Tree Edition

http://ow.ly/i/tzCJ
Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #983
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hessian View Post
You forgot one thing: Prothean is a dead language. There are no known translations and no known speakers of the language (Shepard probably being the exception on account of the Cipher).

And regarding the translation device - a quote from a codex entry:
"Newly discovered or obscure races don't have machine translation available until the linguists have had time to study them."
Huh, didn't even know there was a codex entry. Durrrr. But weren't there more Prothean beacons than just the one on Eden Prime? It's just supposition, but a language isn't dead until there are no speakers of it left. And what about Liara, say? I'd be surprised if she was an expert on Protheans and couldn't speak a word of the lingo. Not saying it's be easy, but it is plausible.

Oh and
Show spoiler
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #984
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Okay Bioware has released the Voice Commands for those that will use Kineck on the 360.

Not that big a deal, but it does include crew spoilers, something some of us knew ***looks at ChAiNz and Lynk***, but wanted confirmed. So read at your own risk to know who will and may not be a party member.

We can't use this for determining all the party members in the game. What you have here is the list of commands and the released party members names but not all of them.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #985
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
We can't use this for determining all the party members in the game. What you have here is the list of commands and the released party members names but not all of them.
Really? I really wished I would have wrote something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
So read at your own risk to know who will and may not be a party member.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #986
logan23
Veteran

lol, doh,...

@mimartin
I love the "Mass Effect 3 Tree Edition" title you came up with =)

Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #987
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:

Hmm ... must be a typo somewhere, not seeing the "give me smoochies" command for Tail?

Well, looks like I know my first lineup for crew rotation Shepard/Tali/Garrus
Just hope I don't have to wait half the game to get either one.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #988
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well at least the ungulate grooming made it in.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i...wDXQbxt-XL.jpg
Old 02-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #989
LDR
Your Death Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Well at least the ungulate grooming made it in.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i...wDXQbxt-XL.jpg
Oh, that is priceless.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread

Last edited by LDR; 02-26-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #990
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I never found Penny Arcade to be funny at all... seriously, never made me laugh once...

I prefer Awkward Zombie...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #991
logan23
Veteran

Lol!!
Great comic strip:-)

Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #992
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I never found Penny Arcade to be funny at all... seriously, never made me laugh once...
Me neither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former
I prefer Awkward Zombie...

OK, the very first frame got an LOL out of me.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #993
LDR
Your Death Angel

I take it back. THIS is priceless.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #994
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

View page
YouTube Video

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #995
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Was that Mark Vanderloo or someone who looks like him playing Shepard in the trailer?
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #996
LDR
Your Death Angel

No. The hair was slightly longer than the high 'n' tight that Shepard has.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #997
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
It's hard to get a good look at his face, but for a moment, I thought he kind of looked like Sam Worthington. That reminds me, who else would like to see Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale in replica N7 armour?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #998
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Assuming they've got decent acting chops (c'mon, we don't really expect much more than that in scifi), they'd be okay in a live-action version. At least they'd "sound like themselves".

Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #999
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Mark Meer is already in a live action Mass Effect movie of sorts -

View page
YouTube Video

By the way, something that has bothered me since the first teaser trailer - what's with the whole Reapers coming in and wrecking up the joint, Independence Day-style? Aren't they all about harvesting people to make organic slushies? Seems counter-productive to be blasting major population centres into oblivion. Kind of like trying to harvest a field of wheat by setting fire to it.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 02-28-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #1000
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Even if they do want to destroy the whole place, why are they doing it with freaking heat rays? These guys are supposed to be PhDs in genocide and they don't even have a simple atom bomb? Destroying vast, flat surfaces with rays is like trying to destroy an ant colony with a pin.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3