lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR III
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
Dak Drexl
Senior Member
 
Dak Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,079
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJango/Weasley View Post
The ones in the first post, though thats proboly fake oh well, wont stop me hoping
It looks like a fallout mod, or rather someone just playing around with it. At least I think it's fallout - I've never played.

Oh, and on the topic, I'd love to see just about any new single-player SW title for the next-gen systems. Is it just me or has it been like 10 years? TFU is the only one I can think of. I thought it was fun, but really forgettable.

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #42
jedi_consular16
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 42
Quote:
Maybe you should lurk in silence a while longer, see how we handle discourse here.
Well, I'm not sure that one's post count has anything to do with one's ability to engage in respectful discourse. I think it has more to do with things such as one's patience, experience, and willingness to learn from others. I have amounts of all those, though not as much I would like. Also, apparently not as much as you would expect to see.

Quote:
"shut up, we're tired of hearing all of the KOTOR III lust"
I never said that...I'm not sure why you chose to place those words in quotation marks. I'll admit, re-reading my previous posts now I do see a bit of passive aggressiveness in my statements. I apologize, my critique of continued discussion on this matter (possible KOTOR III) was not intended to insult. Rather, I was more leaning towards playing the devil's advocate, and expressing my point that a KOTOR III is not in the works (as far as I know, which obviously, is not absolute) and as such continued discussion of it is moot. Again, I can only stress that it was an opinion and in none of my previous posts did I declare it to be an absolute necessity that discussion of KOTOR III must cease.

As I indicated in my previous posts, I would like to see a KOTOR III. The fact that a KOTOR III was never allowed to be finished baffles me, and I still question the justification for not continuing to pursue it even after the original project was started and then cancelled. Obviously, the market is there and has continued to be there. Here we are 7 years after the release of KOTOR II and still plenty of people (not just limited to this forum) would be willing to support development of such a game. My university roommate still gives me a "haha sucks for you fag" any time I bring up the topic of what a travesty not continuing the storylines of both games is to me, and many others.

Quote:
If you like SWTOR then great good for you and everyone else who enjoys it, but as I see it there is nothing wrong with discussing the possibility of a KIII. And for the record if this new "it's dead so we should bury it now" mentality is catching then we might as well close some of the SW & non Star Wars-related LA sub-forums since there are plenty who post desires of a new "Sam & Max" game and what-not, unless you've already paid them a visit and told them to shut up more-or-less.
I am assuming this was mainly directed towards me Blix. As a matter of fact, I do not play SWTOR. I refuse to simply because it is hailed as a pseudo-KOTOR III without actually being so. Might be a mistake on my part, because for all the frustration I might have for it being such a poor continuation of the series (in my opinion) it does seem from the experience of others to be an enjoyable game.

As far as closing down forums and telling people to shut up, again I never said that. But to go back to my devil's advocate opinion of before (and like I said in my first post on this thread) there is no recent news of a KOTOR III except for the videos in the OP and the article linked a few posts ago (at least, I have not seen any; though I would love to be wrong, because KOTOR III would be awesome). The videos are nice, and certainly are a cool concept of what KOTOR III could be, but they appear to me to be the work of a modder and not a demo of a product being created by a commercial video game developer. As for the article, again I hope it is true. However, I've seen, as I'm sure all of us have, at least half a dozen articles since 2005 with similar information; which on original speculation were a good sign of a new KOTOR game but turned out to be either simply rumor, or were early inklings of what would become games such as TFU, TFU 2, SWTOR and others. I'm not trying to say that the article should be discredited simply for that fact, but I guess I'm saying that unless something concrete arises..why get our hopes up only to be dashed again? Maybe I'm just bitter. Kudos to you guys if you can still keep positive thoughts about KOTOR III after all this time. ..hmm... I guess after writing that whole rant to justify myself, I only succeeded in exposing my own jealously.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #43
Sylthar
Rookie
 
Sylthar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
I never said that...I'm not sure why you chose to place those words in quotation marks. I'll admit, re-reading my previous posts now I do see a bit of passive aggressiveness in my statements. I apologize, my critique of continued discussion on this matter (possible KOTOR III) was not intended to insult. Rather, I was more leaning towards playing the devil's advocate, and expressing my point that a KOTOR III is not in the works (as far as I know, which obviously, is not absolute) and as such continued discussion of it is moot. Again, I can only stress that it was an opinion and in none of my previous posts did I declare it to be an absolute necessity that discussion of KOTOR III must cease.
Unfortunately, it appears as though you're not seeing the larger picture when you're reading your previous statements. I'll be honest, I haven't been involved with this topic, yet the way you present yourself seems to be that you think your opinion is superior to everyone else who has posted here and that you think they're foolish for continuing the discussion of the possibility of KotOR III, so in essence, what he "quoted" from you was basically how a lot of people see your previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16
My university roommate still gives me a "haha sucks for you fag" any time I bring up the topic of what a travesty not continuing the storylines of both games is to me, and many others.
No offense, but it sounds as though you need a better friend...



Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16
I am assuming this was mainly directed towards me Blix. As a matter of fact, I do not play SWTOR. I refuse to simply because it is hailed as a pseudo-KOTOR III without actually being so. Might be a mistake on my part, because for all the frustration I might have for it being such a poor continuation of the series (in my opinion) it does seem from the experience of others to be an enjoyable game.
To be honest, I don't think anyone who plays TOR to be even a relative of KotOR, the only thing really in it that relates is Satele Shan, HK-47 and a temporary appearance by Revan. (Although the appearance of Revan baffles me, due to how many years has passed since Revan disappeared into the Unknown Regions, despite how they went about explaining it, I still don't think it should be possible :P ) I will admit that I do enjoy the game, but I don't see it as what you say it s.
Sylthar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #44
jedi_consular16
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 42
Ziost, it certainly was not my intention to put myself on a pedestal above others. I'm really trying to extend an olive branch here. I spoke out of turn. It is my opinion that a KOTOR III will not happen, and that to keep discussing it at this time is pointless. Not foolish as you thought I indicated, which might seem like I'm splitting hairs to save myself, but I do not consider those who still actively hope for a KOTOR III to be fools. I think they are wrong, but I do not think they are unintelligent. Again though, its an opinion, everyone has one and I don't expect anyone here to change just because it is what I say. I'm just one individual who has played KOTOR games and enjoyed them thoroughly. I'm not an expert, I do not work for LA, or any company which has been or might ever be involved with production or development of any KOTOR game.

To your second point, yea my friend and I have an odd relationship. I consider him to be like a brother. Although we often rip on each other to the extreme.


On your third point, yea you got me. SWTOR is not a sequel to KOTOR, but when I said pseudo-KOTOR III I meant it in the context that because of SWTOR's mere existence, I think it further supports the idea that a KOTOR III will not happen. So for all intents and purposes, this is the closest thing we will get to a KOTOR III. Again, its what I think. But, leaving 300 years in between KOTOR I and II and TOR does leave a nice buffer for the possibility of a game in the interim, who knows?
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #45
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Ziost hit the nail on the head perfectly, and don't feel bad Consular you are not being singled out here there others here who I was referring to as well (you know who you are ) I do agree that the majority of the comments that the KIII nay-sayers have made makes it seem like their opinion is law and we're stupid for even questioning it and for not just "giving up". Simply, we're allowed to keep hope alive for a KOTOR III, you're allowed to say otherwise. However; the vast majority of us who are pro-III already know everything that the nay-sayers have been saying; "give up", "it's never gonna happen", "just settle for SWTOR", etc, etc. What baffles me is that instead of simply stating an opinion or in fact just leaving the discussion to those who want a KIII altogether instead of lurking in to stir up the hornet's nest so-to-speak. As far as I see it if you are satisfied with TOR and don't care if a III ever sees the light of day then you really don't need to be in an active thread discussing the possibility of said sequel. I don't care if this is a public forum, we have enough issues with trolls and internet-tough guys elsewhere that it should be common sense if it's not a topic I that I am going to positively contribute to then just gtfo and leave it out.

Sort of off-topic, my friend informed me that it took almost 10 years for Crimson Empire to finally see completion - sure it's a comic book and some people might look at it like it's not as important as a videogame or a movie but that's what makes it so important; ten whole years and a new volume is finally released. We don't know how these devs or producers think, it took the US a long time to get Final Fantasy III which was released straight to the Nintendo DS. I wonder what prompted SEnix to decide to just remake the game for a new console and release it internationally, when they could have worked on other projects instead? Who knows, 5, maybe 10 years from now we'll see a remake of KOTOR I & II along with anticpated III (even if it is just an interlude to TOR), which judging by K1's game of the year and cult status I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a remake so easily.



Last edited by Blix; 03-04-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #46
Revanchism
Lurker
 
Revanchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Current Game: KOTOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
Ziost hit the nail on the head perfectly, and don't feel bad Consular you are not being singled out here there others here who I was referring to as well (you know who you are ) I do agree that the majority of the comments that the KIII nay-sayers have made makes it seem like their opinion is law and we're stupid for even questioning it and for not just "giving up". Simply, we're allowed to keep hope alive for a KOTOR III, you're allowed to say otherwise. However; the vast majority of us who are pro-III already know everything that the nay-sayers have been saying; "give up", "it's never gonna happen", "just settle for SWTOR", etc, etc. What baffles me is that instead of simply stating an opinion or in fact just leaving the discussion to those who want a KIII altogether instead of lurking in to stir up the hornet's nest so-to-speak. As far as I see it if you are satisfied with TOR and don't care if a III ever sees the light of day then you really don't need to be in an active thread discussing the possibility of said sequel. I don't care if this is a public forum, we have enough issues with trolls and internet-tough guys elsewhere that it should be common sense if it's not a topic I that I am going to positively contribute to then just gtfo and leave it out.

Sort of off-topic, my friend informed me that it took almost 10 years for Crimson Empire to finally see completion - sure it's a comic book and some people might look at it like it's not as important as a videogame or a movie but that's what makes it so important; ten whole years and a new volume is finally released. We don't know how these devs or producers think, it took the US a long time to get Final Fantasy III which was released straight to the Nintendo DS. I wonder what prompted SEnix to decide to just remake the game for a new console and release it internationally, when they could have worked on other projects instead? Who knows, 5, maybe 10 years from now we'll see a remake of KOTOR I & II along with anticpated III (even if it is just an interlude to TOR), which judging by K1's game of the year and cult status I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a remake so easily.
If it takes 10 or even 20 years for KOTOR III to come out, I wouldn't mind. I love this series.
Revanchism is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #47
darth-ackbar
Rookie
 
darth-ackbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Death Star
Posts: 158
Current Game: The Search For Revan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFudge View Post
Guys! This could be it! I don't know about you but we've been asking for so long this could be it:
http://sillegamer.com/2011/09/28/luc...november-2011/

Spread the Word!!!!!
I've heard about this myself but it could any number of games, most probably a jedi knight or battlefront sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
Struck a nerve did I? You don't need to get your panties in a bunch just because someone's opinion stifles your wet dreams.

If you'll read my previous posts...none of my wording was hostile, or even negative. I expressed my own desire for a KOTOR III, but followed it with my opinion that it might be time to bury a dead topic.
I think maybe someone struck one of your nerves, have a look round on LF and it might come to your attention that people here don't flame everyone for no apparent reason. Your entitled to your opinion just as much as everyone else is but you don't need to get all aggressive, unless you want the fast road to being banned.

However, reading your recent posts consular, it seems that you've decided to be a bit more courteous, so I don't mean to be mean but maybe you need to think through what you're saying before you say it.


Search For Revan Website: www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com

Search For Revan LucasForums Thread


<a href=http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com target=_blank>http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com</a>

Last edited by mimartin; 03-16-2012 at 12:01 AM.
darth-ackbar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #48
jedi_consular16
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 42
You are correct. Basically what happened is I made a dick comment, and people here called me on it.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #49
darth-ackbar
Rookie
 
darth-ackbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Death Star
Posts: 158
Current Game: The Search For Revan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
You are correct. Basically what happened is I made a dick comment, and people here called me on it.
It's ok, I've done it myself before without even meaning to. It just pi***s people off when people just come on the forums to greif everyone.

Anyway, to get back onto topic, has anyone heard anything else about this game christos brought up? It looks quite interesting.


Search For Revan Website: www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com

Search For Revan LucasForums Thread


<a href=http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com target=_blank>http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com</a>
darth-ackbar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #50
Fastmaniac
Rookie
 
Fastmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Even if anything did ever actually appear, LucasArt's lawyers would nuke it into oblivion in a heartbeat.
I agree. While the videos might look very cool at first, I don't think it'll be successful. Especially if there are only two to three people behind it. And they can't release anything legally with content that is owned by someone else, aka the whole star wars universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFudge View Post
Guys! This could be it! I don't know about you but we've been asking for so long this could be it:
http://sillegamer.com/2011/09/28/luc...november-2011/
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
Since this is from the developers of Force unleash...
This could be for the Force Unleash 3 with a more RPG element to it.
This could also be for a New Jedi Outcast/academy (Kyle) game.
Don't get me wrong, but the source states that it's an 'open-world RPG'. And the games genres (Force Unleashed and JK-series) are Action-Adventure and First/Third person shooter. If they continue one of these series (which would be pretty dope ), they wouldn't go away from Action to RPG.

On a side-note: Has anyone thought of the Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG?

Fastmaniac
Fastmaniac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #51
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,267
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
I want GWAR to be in KOTOR 3.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #52
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
On a side-note: Has anyone thought of the Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG?
Galaxies is being discontinued iirc.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #53
Fastmaniac
Rookie
 
Fastmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
Galaxies is being discontinued iirc.
For serious? Ouhkay. Did not see that...
Fastmaniac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #54
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,267
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Yeah actually they shut down the servers last year...probably because they didn't want to manage 2 MMO games at once.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #55
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,195
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
the Contract had run out, so they decided not to renew it and keep the "Fresher" MMO as the flagship.


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #56
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
the Contract had run out, so they decided not to renew it and keep the "Fresher" MMO as the flagship.
I have mixed to indifferent feelings on this. Obviously since I've never played Galaxies or TOR I couldn't say which I like(d) more but I'm sure there were quite a few up in arms over the issue.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #57
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,267
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Why not get some emulator and a server...or even have a server of your own, and just host galaxies freebo? Seems to be the fix for decomissioned MMOs.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #58
Dak Drexl
Senior Member
 
Dak Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,079
Helpful! 
I can't say exactly what it's called, but there is a third-party galaxies server running. Is it SWGmu? Or mg? Something like that. Don't know much about it though.

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #59
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Why not get some emulator and a server...or even have a server of your own, and just host galaxies freebo? Seems to be the fix for decomissioned MMOs.
Hosting it yourself would cost a hefty amount if you're taking into account all of the Galaxies fans that plan to jump onto your sever.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #60
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,195
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
click my sig


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #61
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie
 
Obi-Wan Bologna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
click my sig
Uhh, you cant...


Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #62
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,195
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Oh yea, I changed it lol!

NGE (under construction)= http://www.projectswg.com/forums/ind...70d63bbd94a4eb

Pre-CU (available now)= http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php?


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #63
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,352
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
For those here who liked KOTOR/TSL but dislike TOR, I'm wondering what your reasons are, apart from monthly fee, etc. I'm level 18 and I don't know how many hours in (40?), and it pretty much feels like a much expanded KOTOR, give or take.

No hatin', just curious.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #64
jedi_consular16
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 42
For me, the fact that Bioware/LA developed a game within the overall KOTOR genre but was not a KOTOR III says to me that any remaining likelihood of a KOTOR III occurring is greatly diminished if not destroyed entirely. Which means that we will likely never get a physical manifestation in RPG video-game format of what happened in the storyline immediately following TSL with regards to Revan, the Exile, and the party characters from the first two games. I would sort of compare it to reading the first two Tolkien novels in the LOTR trilogy with the third book never being released. I never got to experience the end of the arc, and never got any sort of closure. Although TOR does not have much to do with this lacking of closure directly (except for the tidbits of info on the Exile and the scenes with Revan) its mere existence in my estimation is a reminder of how I will never see that closure.

Besides those feelings, I also dislike TOR because of its MMORPG format. I'm a KOTOR fanboy, and I like to think that the story I developed playing KOTOR and TSL was as much uniquely mine as possible. That feeling gets lost (at least to me) somewhat when completing a quest I see another real player in the game, especially when they have a vulgar screen name (ex: something like...luvs2splurge; well this is not that vulgar but I think you get the point). This occurs a lot, especially during my short tenure playing WoW. That atmosphere makes the game feel arcadey to me and lessens the experience of the game. It serves as a reminder that this is not a thrilling story that I'm creating with my choices and actions, but just a video game filled with other real people doing the exact same thing. Obviously, with every video game this is the case, but I don't see that when playing RPG's like Skyrim, KOTOR, Mass Effect etc. The only characters I encounter are NPC and the only real person they react to is me. For a story-driven game, I prefer that dynamic.

I've never played TOR, it might be a very good game on its own merit (as proven by the many who play it), but for what it does to the canon of Revan and the Exile, and because it is a KOTOR game in MMORPG format I dislike it.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #65
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
For those here who liked KOTOR/TSL but dislike TOR, I'm wondering what your reasons are, apart from monthly fee, etc. I'm level 18 and I don't know how many hours in (40?), and it pretty much feels like a much expanded KOTOR, give or take.

No hatin', just curious.
Prime, I know there some people who dislike TOR simply because it isn't KIII. I don't dislike it, in fact I'm in love with the graphics and the gameplay and story are very much like Kotor1. I think that a lot of us just figured that with the huge gap between when TSL and TOR came out that there could have been a III part released, hopefully something that would have shed some light on that downer/cliffhanger ending that was K2. I'm all for TOR, I still would like a KIII if it ever happens even if it's for the next gen of consoles.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #66
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
Besides those feelings, I also dislike TOR because of its MMORPG format.
Can't argue with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
I'm a KOTOR fanboy, and I like to think that the story I developed playing KOTOR and TSL was as much uniquely mine as possible.
That makes sense to me too, but are you sure this isn't a argument for not making KOTOR III. I mean if they make a third game, wouldn't they have to use a default choices (canon Revan and canon Exile)? Wouldn't that make your story's uniqueness moot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
That feeling gets lost (at least to me) somewhat when completing a quest I see another real player in the game, especially when they have a vulgar screen name (ex: something like...luvs2splurge; well this is not that vulgar but I think you get the point). This occurs a lot, especially during my short tenure playing WoW. T
That happens zero, none nought, nil with TOR for me, why because; 1. TOR controls what names can be used. 2. You can turn off name plates. 3. Sure some quest you will see people also doing the quest, but many of the important and class quest you get your own instance, so there is no one else around unless you are doing the quest with a group of friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
For a story-driven game, I prefer that dynamic.
Again, can't argue with that, but TOR gave me that. No clue about other MMOs, like WOW, have not played them, but my understanding is that unlike TOR they are not story driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
but for what it does to the canon of Revan and the Exile, and because it is a KOTOR game in MMORPG format I dislike it.
I feel the same way, but then I would feel the same way about a KOTOR III RPG if my playthroughs of KOTOR and TSL meant nothing and they went with canon Revan and canon Exile.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #67
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,195
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I actually play and enjoy TOR again now because I hit 50, strange I know as a massive amount of people hate post-50.
for me it was for the reasons mentioned in this thread, It wasn't my story, it was everyones story, and there are no real choices in the end, Companions arent unique, neither is gear or appearance choices. I hated every second of the leveling process, and I hit that space bar like a man possessed, I have no idea what I did or said for 49 levels, I just clicked space bar and attacked the guy with the red nameplate.
But, now I'm 50 I can log in, PVP, do some Ops, RP with my friends and do what MMO's do. I love this game for what it is, but it is in no shape or form an acceptable replacement for KotOR III. Love the Lore, RP, Graphics, CGI Trailers, PVP (Still low standard, but I expect changes in 1.2)

With the changes coming in the next patch, and hopefully Server transfers, appearance tab and barber shop coming one day, this is a great MMO, and I'm happy playing it, but they shouldn't of put so much money and effort in to a story I cannot enjoy due to the nature of how I like to play MMO's.

SPRPG's Rule, MMO's Rule, but they dont work together.


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #68
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
SPRPG's Rule, MMO's Rule, but they dont work together.
They don't work for everyone together...I can't image putting in the amount of time I have put into this game without the story. I love it, but then again I've always hated the premise of MMOs. That does not mean MMOs are not great and wonderful games, just that they are not for me.

adamqd, what class were you? Or was it not the story that mattered, just the concept. I tried the Jedi and Sith, but so far the only stories that have captured my attention were the smuggler, agent and trooper.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-16-2012 at 01:45 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #69
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,195
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
adamqd, what class were you? Or was it not the story that mattered, just the concept. I tried the Jedi and Sith, but so far the only stories that have captured my attention were the smuggler, agent and trooper.
I have a level 50 BM (Valor 63) Sorcerer, and I love post-50, its what I do in MMO's. I have limited time so I like to log on, PVP bit of RP, look around and Log. While I was leveling I only had an hour or two at a time, and that sent me crazy! It takes that long to get from the fleet to your quest on some planets so I was leveling horrifically slow, and there was too much time between stories so I grew completely disconnected from my adventure. So at around level 32 I just spaced bar raged it all and shot for goal. I prefer my SPRPG quality stories to be in an SPRPG setting, its my story not 600,000 other Sorcerers

I do have a few alts, but again, I cant deal with the linear slow leveling process. I love KotOR, its my favorite game, but when I play MMO's I afk grind to cap, then get geared and create my own story. So yea its the concept more than the writing standard.



Last edited by adamqd; 03-16-2012 at 02:26 PM.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #70
Fastmaniac
Rookie
 
Fastmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
That makes sense to me too, but are you sure this isn't a argument for not making KOTOR III. I mean if they make a third game, wouldn't they have to use a default choices (canon Revan and canon Exile)? Wouldn't that make your story's uniqueness moot?
Don't think so. Remember TSL: They go with whatever you choose in conversations. Atton assumes Revan to be female and you can correct him by stating Revan is male or leave it be and Revan will be female. You could do that too, to have your 'unique' development of Revan and the Exile.
Fastmaniac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #71
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
for every major choice in both games? That would get old real fast, but pipe dreams are that, just dreams.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #72
Fastmaniac
Rookie
 
Fastmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 164
I didn't say you should do that for EVERY choice you made during both games. I meant for the big choices like fe/male, light/dark, etc.
Fastmaniac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #73
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
for every major choice in both games? That would get old real fast, but pipe dreams are that, just dreams.
I would think only the absolute major plot-affecting choices/biggest details would even be bothered with, minute extras would be a nuissance of time.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #74
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
I would think only the absolute major plot-affecting choices/biggest details would even be bothered with, minute extras would be a nuissance of time.
So you both are saying Revan and the Exile would not be included in game? Because otherwise their apperence would be a very minor plot-affecting detail, but HUGE in what makes my Revan or Exile mine. That would work, but still suffer the fanboy rage...
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #75
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
So you both are saying Revan and the Exile would not be included in game? Because otherwise their apperence would be a very minor plot-affecting detail, but HUGE in what makes my Revan or Exile mine. That would work, but still suffer the fanboy rage...
Short answer: you can't please everyone, all of the time. Longer answer: "IF" a K3 were ever to be made I wouldn't want to see Revan or Exile physically appear in it, this is kind of the same beef I have with them being in TOR and given 1 official canonical face; it kind of whitewashes the original playthroughs I had with Revan (at least for me anway) because it's like "who's this guy? That's not what (my) Revan looked like!". Now having supporting characters like Carth, Bastila, etc return is a sensible idea, just not as the player character - that role should always be whom the player picks out from the beginning. Besides while I've wanted closure on the whole Revan/Exile story I think that there could be ways to tie up loose ends or at least act as a lead-in to TOR which would explain why they are no longer in the known regions without needing them to physically appear in the game.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #76
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,267
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
I'd say if K3 were officially made, it would expound upon the fates of the crews from K1 and K2. Maybe introduce some new characters. Not sure what kind of "mission" it would have, though.

Who would there be to fight? Kunists? Remnants? Syndicates?

I'd imagine there might be loose ends from both games, maybe. It probably could include the Mandalorians and their journey, and HK-47 could make a cameo, or even star in his mission to get to the foundry since it was only mentioned... The restart of the jedi order.

Not sure anymore just what a K3 would constitute exactly. What is there to tell? It's all inconsequential ultimately, isn't it?


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #77
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
I'd say if K3 were officially made, it would expound upon the fates of the crews from K1 and K2. Maybe introduce some new characters. Not sure what kind of "mission" it would have, though.

Who would there be to fight? Kunists? Remnants? Syndicates?

I'd imagine there might be loose ends from both games, maybe. It probably could include the Mandalorians and their journey, and HK-47 could make a cameo, or even star in his mission to get to the foundry since it was only mentioned... The restart of the jedi order.

Not sure anymore just what a K3 would constitute exactly. What is there to tell? It's all inconsequential ultimately, isn't it?
There could definitely be remaining followers of Sith Revan and Malak, and after the events of TSL with the triumverate threat eliminated they could bring their plans to fruition. Perhaps the two sects could oppose each other and the main party has to deal with the leaders of both fanatical parties. Sure it's been done before but it could easily work for a KOTOR III.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #78
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,267
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
There could definitely be remaining followers of Sith Revan and Malak, and after the events of TSL with the triumverate threat eliminated they could bring their plans to fruition. Perhaps the two sects could oppose each other and the main party has to deal with the leaders of both fanatical parties. Sure it's been done before but it could easily work for a KOTOR III.
So I guess I'm right that it serves as little more than extras. Have you read the Knight Errant novel or the comics? It fills a similar scenario. While I suppose you are right, it's little more than tablescrap remnants. Not that I'd mind of course. Not sure if it's enough for "official" LA to try to squeeze for profit. For a mod...we have 2 and I'm not sure what either of them are planning. (Sorry Logan, have not checked your stuff out in some time.)

As to lingering remnants:

I do know Nihilus made a holocron at some point and while I am not sure of the wookieepedia article's integrity, it was suggested that he had at least one other apprentice besides Visas Marr, who would have kept the holocron and passed it down. Seems plausible.
That Utapauan sith (or whatever species) fought in SWTFU learned his teachings from it (supposedly). They, somehow, stayed in the shadows and avoided detection while they kept the holocron. Still, I would imagine that secret apprentice, if not killed by his/her successor, could have emerged--unlikely given Nihilus' MO, but anything is possible.
Nihilus has no background whatsoever, so suppose this is blank slate...probably better left alone to obscurity. Part of the mystery, really.

Sion was a Kunist 40 years before the Triumvirate--plenty of background which I've been curious about. Actually, given proper context could be made to be a tragic villain. I actually think he is a pretty good character, story wise. This is probably more akin to prequel or novel than anything else. There may have been other Kunists like him but, I'd think they were killed in the first incident of Malachor V.

Traya's followers were all wiped out, of this I am pretty sure. So only the remnants of Nihilis' and Sion's rival factions and their assassin networks would possibly still be around.

Yes I suppose loyalists to Malak and/or Revan could be lurking. The more we learn about related things from TOR, the more I suppose some scenario could be built here. Most of it would need to be invented. I know that the 3 dark Jedi who were Malak loyalists were otherwise not heeded in the canon light side encounter because Bastilla is there. It's possible they could be roaming around. I am unsure who would be following Revan that would still be alive. Maybe the ones in seen the visions of the tomb of Ludo Kressh. They were not heard from or seen again either, so far as I know.

As to other loose ends:
spoiler:
A second star forge for terraforming was mentioned. I bet we find more about it in future content to be released for the MMO.

The foundry was like a third, smaller Star Forge from what I understand, meant for creating weapons and battle droids.

These similar to the first star forge for creating ships and artillery and such.


spoiler:
We know from the Revan novel that HK-47

1) set out on his own to try to find Revan, after Revan left for the outer regions... and was disassembled in the process (likely by G0-T0). T3 found pieces of HK and reassembled what was left on board the, now damaged Ebon Hawk returning from the crash on Nathema.

Fast forward through K2

2) was reassembled and repaired. Post Malachor V's destruction, Meetra left the droid in the hands of the new Jedi Order. Wisely thinking it would not be safe to have the assassin droid wandering the galaxy, but foolishly assuming the droid would be content to stay with the Jedi and await further orders. Not long after Surik's departure, HK set off to find Revan again.

He was found later on in SWTOR to have been waiting for Revan in a specified area. Either the Secret Complex, or the Foundry...have not determined which one yet...not like it matters, I know what eventually happens.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #79
christos200
Rookie
 
christos200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 225
Current Game: battlefront 2
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Short answer: you can't please everyone, all of the time. Longer answer: "IF" a K3 were ever to be made I wouldn't want to see Revan or Exile physically appear in it, this is kind of the same beef I have with them being in TOR and given 1 official canonical face; it kind of whitewashes the original playthroughs I had with Revan (at least for me anway) because it's like "who's this guy? That's not what (my) Revan looked like!".
That is why i dont like Revan in TOR.
christos200 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #80
UltimateHK47
Forumite
 
UltimateHK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: In a Galaxy, far far away...
Posts: 500
Current Game: Kotor 1
Has there been anymore news on the secret star wars rpg or this game? I'm intrested at the concept of a UDK kotor.


http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^


USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > KOTOR III

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.