lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #1361
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Show spoiler

Does anyone know how the Action-only mode works out? What choices are canon and how do the endings work?

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #1362
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
No idea. Presumably they follow some sort of pattern similar to whatever criteria they used to determine the default Shep if you start a new game. Which maybe leans towards Renegade? As for the ending, I would guess that
Show spoiler

Edit: Angry Joe has put up a list of problems with the endings. Covers all the main points most people have. Extreme spoiler warning obviously.

He missed one it seems. All the others were bleeped. The title is "10 Reasons We Hate Mass Effect 3's Ending" for those that want to search for it.

Moderator note [03-19-2012 03:47 PM]

removed link because of language. Sorry people can look for it on YouTube.

One or two, got some strange looks in the office before I hit the stop button.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-19-2012 at 03:47 PM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #1363
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
The fate of Earth depends on what ending you pick and get...
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

But indeed, the ending left a very bad aftertaste. Sort of like if Mass Effect (1) had ended with Anderson digging out Shepard's squished corpse under Sovereign's wreckage in the council chamber.
The ending was slightly more varied than I realized. I did the out of the box default for 1st playthrough and had just south of 4000 TMS, but apparently got the "2nd" option w/my two choices. Discovered what Stoffe was talking about after watching a YT vid claiming the/a "worst ending" based on 1600 pts (EMS, I presume...or they made a ton of bad choices and skipped stuff for TMS to be that low). So, I guess I got the middle ending.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #1364
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Just out of curiosity, how much did you skip to get an EMS of only 2,000? Didn't do any side-quests? Or was the default Shepard just too borked to get any decent assets from the main quests?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #1365
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Just throwing this out there:

Show spoiler

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1366
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I can't wait to see the outcry from trying to sell a new ending from DLC....

Oh, EA would love that...every game for the next 100 years would have a crappy ending, but no worries for $19.99 that can be fixed.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #1367
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Given how bad most game writing is, I'd almost like to see them try.
Also, Beth kinda did this already with Fallout 3, and the world didn't end because of it.

@LDR: If only you were right, at least then we could be fairly certain that said DLC would give us a good ending, instead of a "fanfic" style ending which is the main reason I'm not sure I want them to make a new ending.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1368
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
I believe if their PR tactics fail,..and the pressure is still there....EA suits will worry about the IP in terms of movies and other spin offs as well as DLC,..etc.

This is as if the original star wars trilogy had a ending that made you go what the?!....That makes no sense and breaking the emotional bond with the Series....If this happen then you would see the Prequels bomb.

The reasons for the star wars prequel trilogy, even with some flaws, brought in the money and fans because of the connection to the original episode 4-6. If that wasn't there the movies would have not made as much money as they did and fans would be less incline to wait in line for midnight showings.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1369
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
EA suits will worry about the IP in terms of movies and other spin offs as well as DLC,..etc.
EA worried about upsetting a few gamers...Look to see if Origins is still up and running...Nope they are not worried. Now if EA can make mega $$$$ with a new DLC ending to ME3... Then you may get you new ending.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #1370
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Regardless how bad the masses might feel the ending is (I haven't finished so I'll reserve judgement), the same fans would go bananas if a movie was made.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #1371
logan23
Veteran

A non free DLC ending,...might not be a good idea....it opens a door of trouble

They can use the DLC they plan to sell, but up the price or alter production cost so a dollar from each of the new DLC planned can be used to finance the production of a free alter/tweak ending DLC.
Win - Win

Fans get free ending DLc and Bioware can use other DLc pricing to make up the cost of it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #1372
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I haven't finished
If you make it to the end... well, you'll probably want to take your own life. Here, you better have this:

Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #1373
logan23
Veteran

Hey here is something that will make you laugh,....

These are two fan made endings to ME3 - one is with the breakfast club music and the other is animal house style ending...lol

Animal House style ending (Does Have Spoilers)

Show spoiler

Last edited by mimartin; 03-20-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #1374
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I gather you'll be getting a red note about the first one. The Animal House one was great. Btw, there's an extended cut of that now - the Vega bit was gold.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #1375
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Well, it's done. I have completed Insanity, and thus completed my quest to get all of the ME3 achievements. Until DLC is announced, and except for the Multiplayer, when I get round to playing it, Goodbye for now, Mass Effect. It's been one hell of a ride.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #1376
logan23
Veteran

I will see if I can edit it to hide.
I'm on iPhone so let me see if I can do this ... Typing on iPhone keypad is sometimes a little hard .

Old 03-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #1377
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
ME3 endings were bad enough to complain to the FTC, really?

Seriously now...

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...173411384.html

Quote:
Bioware's Mass Effect 3 has earned plenty of praise from gaming critics, but a small, vocal percentage of players aren't thrilled with the game's ending, to put it mildly.

And now they're bringing their issues to the Feds.

A user on the Bioware forums who goes by the name "El_Spiko" says he has complained to the Federal Trade Commission about the resolution of the trilogy -- and he's calling on other disgruntled fans to do the same.

"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," wrote the poster (who we're assuming didn't file it under the name El_Spiko). "This is not somethign [sic] I was happy to do, but after the terrible ending that was in no way the product that had been advertised to me and the lack of any kind of response from Bioware/EA to address this, I felt it was one of my only recourses."

He also encouraged others unhappy with the ending to complain to the Better Business Bureau.

While the FTC will likely do exactly squat in the matter, Bioware is certainly under fire here. It's tricky to get into the specifics without spoiling the ending for those yet to experience it, but the gist is that there are actually three possible endings to Mass Effect 3, which vary based on the player's in-game actions. However, argue fans, the ultimate conclusion of the game isn't one that's based on how people played the game and is too open-ended. For a series defined by the interplay between player choices and subsequent consequences, that has some people seeing red.

Before complaining to the Feds, gamers launched the usual online protests, including a petition and a charity drive (which has already passed $67,000.) A 'Retake Mass Effect 3' Facebook page has amassed some 42,000 supporters, and an associated Twitter account has over 4,000 followers.

Bioware hasn't made any commitments to address the issue, but did take to Facebook early Monday to acknowledge the complaints.

"We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending," the developer said. "We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

"Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive."

Not everyone is hoping for a change, however. A newly formed 'Keep Mass Effect' group has popped up on Facebook to lend support to Bioware's original vision.

Well, I don't play M.E. despite others' efforts to try to get me to do so. I've heard mixed reviews thus far. I suppose if you think you're being ignored that's one way to go about things.

Yet I cannot help but think some are overreacting...just a little.

Thoughts?

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #1378
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
There's already a giant ME3 thread.

Not sure how the US laws are structured in this regard, but you could argue with some merit that based on comments by Bioware and EA before release that there is a valid claim for false advertising. Down here at least though I don't think it would hold much legal water as the law is structured primarily to deal with consumers and retailers. There's no false advertising on the retailer's part, unless they were pushing lots of EA's PR material. I think you could end up getting a refund under Oz law, but that's about it.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #1379
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
LOL, this s*** is high-larious!

DISCLAIMER: Haven't played ME3 yet.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #1380
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
There's already a giant ME3 thread.
As I said, not a player of mass effect here. This thread is sort of for my crowd.

I figured a complaint with involvement of the government was enough to merit its own thread...

Quote:
Not sure how the US laws are structured in this regard, but you could argue with some merit that based on comments by Bioware and EA before release that there is a valid claim for false advertising. Down here at least though I don't think it would hold much legal water as the law is structured primarily to deal with consumers and retailers. There's no false advertising on the retailer's part, unless they were pushing lots of EA's PR material. I think you could end up getting a refund under Oz law, but that's about it.
Until recent years, sometimes getting any refunds whatsoever was a bit of a pain.

If enough people complain something might be done but I'm not entirely sure about the actual number of unhappy people, either way. I'd imagine laws are similar in that regard, though.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #1381
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
On the subject of refunds, Amazon is offering refunds on ME3, even if the box was opened. Even the Collector's Edition.

http://www.analoghype.com/video-game...mass-effect-3/
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #1382
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
People are mostly refunding the game because of the face import bug and no ETA from Bioware when or if they plan to fix it.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #1383
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I seriously doubt that is the reason.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #1384
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
It's like I always say. Fanboys are fickle morons at the best of times.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #1385
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
As I said, not a player of mass effect here. This thread is sort of for my crowd.

I figured a complaint with involvement of the government was enough to merit its own thread...
Nope, moved and merged. This is Lucas Forums not, whine about bioware forums. One thread for that is enough.

People complain to the goverment if McDonalds is out of Mcnuggets, that does not merit its own thread either. j/k
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #1386
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
People complain to the goverment if McDonalds is out of Mcnuggets, that does not merit its own thread either. j/k
What, the complaining people or the meriting of its own thread? o_O

Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #1387
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
If you make it to the end... well, you'll probably want to take your own life. Here, you better have this:

Naw, I don't nerd rage, so I will be fine regardless.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #1388
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I don't nerd rage
You haven't seen the end yet...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #1389
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Amazingly enough, not everyone actually thinks it's that bad. I don't massively like it but **** me worthy of a goddamn lawsuit it ain't.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #1390
jedi_consular16
Rookie

Complaining to the FTC, eh? Well, certainly a legal privilege to do so and even though I doubt the FTC will pursue it to the fullest it does draw attention to the fact that there is a sizable number of people who intensely dislike the ending.

As for me, I've stated before how I dislike the ending, but I don't expect there to be a new one. Sure we might whine and complain, but...whenever Bioware rolls out their next RPG whether it be within the ME universe or perhaps a different one, how many of us whiners are not going to buy it because of our ME3 rage?

For as much as I disliked the ending, I found ME3 overall to be a very entertaining game and well worth my 60$, and I'm going to continue to support Bioware's future endeavors simply because of the 4 Bioware games I've played thus far (KOTOR, and the ME triology) all have been extremely entertaining and provided hundreds of hours of game-play. I think at the end of the day Bioware and others involved with the production and sale of ME3 are expecting most of their target clientele to feel the same way and personally I think they are safe in doing so.

Plus, my main beef with the endings was the lack of closure on the party characters and their stories. Probably done on purpose to save for DLC.
Show spoiler
and you could almost have enough content to make another game.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #1391
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I should file one for Metroid: Other M as I feel completely and utterly ripped off by that entire game.

These guys are just trying to make a point to BioWare and I don't really care how they go about it. If they feel they need to, it's their time to waste doing it... the obviously felt strongly enough about BioWare ending up wasting their time and money with the 3 (at least) ME games coming to the conclusion it did.

Seriously, I know it's easy to mock these guys cause they're getting uppity about all this, but being a huge Metroid fan and then playing Other M... I can see where they're coming from. As for Mass Effect itself... meh, ending sucks but I don't care, I'm just not going to bother playing it over again cause I see no real point since it all ends in the same place anyway.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #1392
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
It's like I always say. Fanboys are fickle morons at the best of times.
It's true, he has said it before...and it's true because that's how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I should file one for Metroid: Other M as I feel completely and utterly ripped off by that entire game.
I remember your irk quite well, and it was a confirmation. I got to sample it (the game itself), and yet afterwards I knew I disliked it, just wasn't sure why I disliked it. It just didn't seem quite so true to its roots.

Quote:
These guys are just trying to make a point to BioWare and I don't really care how they go about it. If they feel they need to, it's their time to waste doing it... the obviously felt strongly enough about BioWare ending up wasting their time and money with the 3 (at least) ME games coming to the conclusion it did.

Seriously, I know it's easy to mock these guys cause they're getting uppity about all this, but being a huge Metroid fan and then playing Other M... I can see where they're coming from. As for Mass Effect itself... meh, ending sucks but I don't care, I'm just not going to bother playing it over again cause I see no real point since it all ends in the same place anyway.
Not mockery (speaking only for myself) so much as speaking from being inured to what I like/favorites being botched and squeezed for anything their developer can, instead of just being allowed to let die with what little dignity it has left.

Perhaps it can be summed up as:
I say "So your favorite game franchise got screwed over? That really sucks, seriously, but wha'cha gonna do?"
And their reply is "sue their asses, for real".

Perhaps I'm just a bit taken aback, that's all.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #1393
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
I've been playing the multiplayer mode. It is highly addictive.

I will not touch the single player campaign until they patch the facial importation issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #1394
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
whenever Bioware rolls out their next RPG whether it be within the ME universe or perhaps a different one, how many of us whiners are not going to buy it because of our ME3 rage?
Their last 2 games (ME3 and DA2) have generated bad publicity to a level that they've never really seen before. If DA3 (which would appear to be their next game) follows suit - and early signs are it could, with wacky MP and other stuff being proposed - then it's not inconceivable that they may have done their dash with a lot of people. Some people like to deride "Biodrones", but I think there is a limit to how much they will take.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #1395
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Some will still buy it just so they can whine about how bad it is...
Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #1396
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
So, how specifically would people here have improved the ending. Also, this being a long thread, maybe I missed it, but exactly what decisions did people make they thought weren't addressed somewhere/anywhere in/by ME3? I can see going straight to the credits from the "bad" ending or even extending the game a scene or two after the "best" ending sequence (or maybe a LOTSB style vid/info file sequence on various surviving charahcters, not great perhaps, but better than what they gave people in terms of "closure" or crewmate wrap-ups).

For myself, I'd say the endings were incomplete and anticlimactic. However, given all the raging, I guess I was further inoculated from expecting too much of the conclusion. For the most part, the game is pretty good, despite its stupid flaws (eg. the face bug being a ridiculous oversight, but nowhere near a dealbreaker as well as the EMS system issue). Fair amount of action and humor, but also a sense of camraderie with your crew that was largely missing in the first two. Still, while I think the FCC thing is hilariously over the top......so was Bioware's implication that 1000s of factors influenced the ending of your game in any meaningful way. Seemingly, judging from reactions, they've been hoisted w/their own petard.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman

Last edited by Totenkopf; 03-21-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #1397
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I wouldn't change the ending, but
Show spoiler

Last edited by Sabretooth; 03-21-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #1398
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
My take on it.
Show spoiler
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #1399
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Sabre: I agree on the Crucible thing, and especially the pointlessness of ME2.
Show spoiler

If I could change the ending (and not the rest of the game(s)).

Show spoiler

Of course these endings assume a larger budget for the ending. So assuming budget constraints just replace my "ending movie" bits with the AP ending (a news report that depends on your choices while the credits roll)

Edit: Jeez, I have way too much time on my hands, sorry a bout the wall of text.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #1400
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Sabre: I agree on the Crucible thing, and especially the pointlessness of ME2.
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Should we have a separate thread on ME3's endings? This thread is half-obscured with all the Hidden text.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3