lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Baldur's Gate Series
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
The Baldur's Gate Series

So..it's simple really. I have grown interested in trying out the baldur's gate games and wondered what others thought of it before a waste a fiver or so :P - so - simply - what do YOU think of the baldur's gate series? i have liked bioware games for some time but this isnt one i picked up.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The Baldur's Gate series is the most fun that I've ever had playing a CRPG. Despite its flaws, I think that Baldur's Gate II is probably the greatest CRPG released to date. These games are tough; especially BG2, but that's what makes them rewarding. They're tedious at first, but once you learn how to develop tactics and use your party, the experience is thoroughly enjoyable. Both are definitely worth playing, and a must for any fan of D&D-based CRPGs.

I can't talk about it in length, here, because of certain forum rules, but if you want to have the best experience playing BG1 on a modern PC, you're going to want to check out the extensive list of BG mods; specifically those having to do with Tutu.

Get these games and their expansions and have fun.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Funnily enough, I'm replaying Baldur's Gate II at the moment. The first game hasn't aged well, I'm not sure if a new-comer these days would find anything to take pleasure in there. The second, is a highly enjoyable experience, despite some of the dodgy dialogue you have to expect of BioWare; even Homer nods, I suppose. The game's villain is certainly one of the more interesting that BioWare has come up with and, even if -- lacking in rose-tinted glasses -- you can't extract any enjoyment from the gameplay and plot, its interesting to see the giant of the RPG world taking its first steps.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Last edited by Pavlos; 03-16-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Never played the first one, but have played #2. Though I'm not into the sword and sorcery thing, it's worth the fiver.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Q
The one who knocks

BG1 is worth a playthrough, if only for taking your PC from a Level 1 weakling all the way to a Level 50 god.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
BG1 is worth a playthrough, if only for taking your PC from a Level 1 weakling all the way to a Level 50 god.
I did that once... exported/imported the same triple-multiclassed half-elven character for multiple playthroughs until I had reached the level cap in all 3 classes. Somewhat overkill.

Won't work though if you want to play as one of the new classes/specializations introduced in Baldurs Gate II. If you play BG2 first then BG1 will probably feel a bit dull and primitive by comparison. At least it did for me.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Q
The one who knocks

Tutu lets you play the newer classes/kits in BG1, and the insane difficulty setting remains challenging even if you use a level cap remover.

-Toker
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
While I agree that BG1 pales in comparison to BG2, I'd still recommend at least a playthrough...

Much of the intro to BG2 is to stir up some emotion about what is happening (during the escape), and it's impact hits harder if you know what the heck they're talking about.. hehehe

Also, some of the revelations you learn in BG2 won't have the same effect if you haven't experienced the first game. Lots of "AHA!" moments to those who ran BG1 first.

However, in any case, you can't lose no matter what order you play them in.. though if you can only choose one, I'd have to pick BG2. One of my favorite-est games ever.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I've played BG2, it is definitely worth it. I like the sprite graphics, even now. Plus the level of immersion in the game world rivals or exceeds what we have today IMO. Having more than 3 party members at a time and the strategy required make it much more in depth than many of the RPGs currently. It is considered by many to be an all-time classic, and I'd agree.

I'm planning on playing again in the near future...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I think the series as a whole is worth the play through while I will admit to 2 being leaps and bounds better than one. I have too many other games I"m playing at the moment to go back and play them, but I still have my original disks and expansions.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I am a Janey-come-lately to CRPG's, having only now downloaded BG1. I've never played it. Heck, I even played KOTOR 2 before KOTOR 1, and never finished DA:O because I kept screwing up and dying in this one part. By then it was too late to respec my char. I think I'll like BG nonetheless.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #12
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You'll probably find BG1 fairly brutal in comparison to today's RPGs. If you are completely unfamiliar with D&D mechanics and Infinity Engine games, make sure you save a lot.

I would highly recommend you investigate some bug fix mods. If you have BG2, I would also recommend one of the amalgamation mods like BG Trilogy etc. Check out the Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings 3 sites.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 06-11-2011 at 03:50 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysyacha View Post
I am a Janey-come-lately to CRPG's, having only now downloaded BG1. I've never played it. Heck, I even played KOTOR 2 before KOTOR 1, and never finished DA:O because I kept screwing up and dying in this one part. By then it was too late to respec my char. I think I'll like BG nonetheless.

Played that one for first time a few years ago. Not really into D&D style games, but it was fairly entertaining enough. Minsc was kind of funny.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
I quite like the series, mainly BG 2. I've noticed that while opinions vary wildly on most RPGs, there are very few people who outright hate BG 2.

I think this may be because many people worship games like Planescape for its writing and story, Temple of Elemental Evil for its combat, and other RPGs for whatever it is they do best. People will like those games more or less depending on what they see as the most important features of an RPG. Those who put combat first often dislike PST, and those who like a story or actual choices often dislike ToEE.

BG2 strikes a balance between extremes. It doesn't match ToEE in combat, PST in writing, or Acanum + Fallout 1/2 in choices, but it does each of those features quite well. It may not have enough of whatever someone considers the key aspect of an RPG to make it their favorite, but it'd be unlikely for them to not enjoy it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
You'll probably find BG1 fairly brutal in comparison to today's RPGs. If you are completely unfamiliar with D&D mechanics and Infinity Engine games, make sure you save a lot.

I would highly recommend you investigate some bug fix mods. If you have BG2, I would also recommend one of the amalgamation mods like BG Trilogy etc. Check out the Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings 3 sites.
^I agree with everything DarthParametric said in this post.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
harark1
Rookie

Current Game: Tsl, Jedi Acadmey
I tryed out the first one but it's not my favorite because there aren't many charcter class choices. I prefer Champions of Norrath. (Didn't particually like the first one so never played the second.)

Scripting + Harark1 =

Death causes Life and Life causes Death.

And you say Murder isn't natural

This is the url for Ninth heart: http://www.jediquest.webs.com/
harark1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
I've noticed that while opinions vary wildly on most RPGs, there are very few people who outright hate BG 2.
A good measure of this is the Codex. They famously despise Bioware and everything they do (and have ever done). Whilst they worship Fallout, Arcanum, and Torment above all else (the Holy Trinity, as they call them) and belittle BG2 as vastly inferior, they still consistently manage to rank BG2 in the top 5 of their annual best RPG of all time poll (although last year it dropped down to 6th by a vote or two).
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysyacha View Post
I think you will, too, but instead of downloading it you should have just gone ahead and bought this. It has both games and their expansions on one DVD, and it's not expensive at all. That way you can go ahead and use the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod, which combines both games and their expansions into one big game. It ends up being literally 100s of hours of gameplay that I think you will love. These games are huge, and, compared to modern cRPGs, hard as hell.

Before you do that, though, mess around with BG1 a bit and see if you like the gameplay at all. Keep in mind that BG2 is far better than the original. If the version you downloaded came with Tales of the Sword Coast, you can use the widescreen mod to run it at any resolution you wish. I recommend 1280x800 for a 16:10 monitor or 1280x720 for 16:9. It has to have the expansion installed or it won't work.

-Toker
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The BG games hold up remarkably well in modern resolutions thanks to the enormous size of their maps. The BG2 maps are typically in the order of something like 3000x5000. I run BG2 at 1920x1080 with the widescreen mod and it's perfectly fine. All it needs is the addition of the font increase mod, but only because I'm old and half-blind. For those that want that, grab it here - http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=38626
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #19
Q
The one who knocks

I prefer 1280x800 because, for me at least, everything gets too small at any resolution higher than that, and not just the fonts.

-Toker
Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #20
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
The BG games hold up remarkably well in modern resolutions thanks to the enormous size of their maps. The BG2 maps are typically in the order of something like 3000x5000. I run BG2 at 1920x1080 with the widescreen mod and it's perfectly fine. All it needs is the addition of the font increase mod, but only because I'm old and half-blind. For those that want that, grab it here - http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=38626
Are you running it on Windows 7?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yes - 7 x64.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Some of you may have already seen this:

http://www.baldursgate.com

The page source has the following commented out:

Code:
<!-- February 29, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! -->

<!-- I can teach you how to use your wrath. -->
The buzz is that it is most likely an iOS port of BG1 & 2, but there's no official word as yet. It's apparently being handled by Beamdog, who most recently did the HD update of MDK2 (Bioware's 3rd game).
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I saw that and the speculation that ensued. I would love a BG port for iOS, but I'd love another BG game even more Not likely, but still one can hope!

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

I ended up never getting this game, for reasons I can't remember. An iOS port would be a swell alternative though!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Q
The one who knocks

Anyone who likes cRPGs and hasn't played the BG series needs to do so now.

BG1 is sorta mediocre, but BG2 puts just about every other BioWare game to shame.

-Toker
Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #26
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

The text in the site source was different on the first day, it was some lore-related stuff with "he rises, better than before" or something like that. I'm pretty inclined to believe this is an HD remake. Definitely not a new game in the series, or they wouldn't have used the old player portraits for the background.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #27
Q
The one who knocks

I'd be down with an HD remake, though with Baldur's Gate Trilogy and the widescreen mod, the graphics are still quite acceptable to me.

Do you really think that they'd go to all that trouble, though?

-Toker
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #28
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Hey, I'm just hoping this announcement is relevant to me and therefore not a boring iOS port or something.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #29
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

BioWare are about to wrap up one of their, if not THE, biggest game series they have ever done, with Mass Effect 3. The only other IP we are awaiting a new game from is Dragon Age. So really, I would say now would be the optimal time for a HD remake or even a 3rd BG game.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #30
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Bioware have nothing to do with BG. They don't own the IP (and never have). That's why they made Dragon Age. Beamdog are the ones handling this project, whatever it is, as I posted above.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #31
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Bioware have nothing to do with BG. They don't own the IP (and never have). That's why they made Dragon Age.
Even if they did, BG wasn't grim-dark-mature enough for them.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #32
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I'd be down with an HD remake, though with Baldur's Gate Trilogy and the widescreen mod, the graphics are still quite acceptable to me.
Yeah, I got that up and running on my new machine as well. Runs like a dream, and is still an epic game that trumps many current games to this day.

With 1920x1080 widescreen I don't need an iOS port.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #33
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well, here is what I suspect was the always the primary driver for the Enhanced Editions:

My thoughts are that the PC versions are basically just bonuses - they get them for free essentially as the original engine was made for PC, so why not release them as well and make a little extra cash on the side?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #34
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

So, HD remakes AND iPad version? Consider me intrigued to set foot into this series when they are released

Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #35
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Oh, monsieur Parametrique, does your cynicism know no bounds?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #36
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Not by any measure currently known to science.

But I mean come on, they announce it saying it's for PC with "screenshots next week!" and then we get the above. And the official site currently doesn't make any mention of PC versions, just the iPad one.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #37
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
And the official site currently doesn't make any mention of PC versions, just the iPad one.
Wrong.

They brought up the Enhanced Edition announcement THEN announced the iPad port. http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012...anced-edition/

Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #38
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah that doesn't mention PC (or any specific platform). The PC talk was on the Twitter account.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #39
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

The EE is heading to OSX as well and will offer cross-platform multiplayer.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > The Baldur's Gate Series