lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Classic Horror Games
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Current Game: KotOR II
Classic Horror Games

Does anyone here enjoy classic horror games? Let me clarify: "Classic Horror" Games not "Classic" Horror Games. Im talking Amnesia: The Dark Decent or Dear Esther not Saw. If you still aren't sure what classic horror is: think Poe and Lovecraft not the graphic obscenities they call the Saw movies.

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Scratches is one of my favorites for sure.

Very classic storytelling (narration and voice talent is superb). The use of ambiance and music sets this perfect edge-of-your-seat thriller. Definitely worth checking out if this is the type of game you like

Steam has it for $10: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46460/

-----

7th guest and 11th Hour are also great games.. though they're so old, it would be hard to find copies of them (I'd imagine). Might try GOG.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 03-27-2012 at 11:35 AM.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Dear Esther is a horror game now?

Clive Barker's Undying is without a doubt my favourite horror video game. It was my reigning scariest-game-ever until Amnesia came along. It's really old though, mind.

If you like adventure games, Ben Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation game), made a bunch of well-written, low-fi horror games called the Chzo Mythos. The games are in order: 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes and 6 Days a Sacrifice.

There's the Silent Hill games that have represented horror games for years, but I haven't played any, except for a bit of the first which I thought was genuinely scary.

If you liked Amnesia, consider Frictional's previous efforts, namely the Penumbra series. They're the games most similar to Amnesia.

Then there's an indie game that's been grabbing the survival horror headlines, called Lone Survivor, by Jason Byrne. Not sure if it's classic horror or not, so look into it.

As for games coming up, there's Anna by Dreampainters, which looks like an interesting horror adventure thing (and close to Amnesia/Dear Esther). It's coming out next month.

Finally, there's the sequel to Amnesia, being developed by the Dear Esther team, called A Machine for Pigs.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

I knew about the Amnesia sequel and I have to say: very excited and as for the Penumbra series: played it and couldn't get i into it. I think it is because I played Amnesia first and the mechanics there are a lot better but the story is great just as good as any other Frictional title. I can't wait to see what thechineseroom does with A Machine For Pigs though, so excited.

I will look into Scratches actually, it looks like it could be interesting.

And to you Alexrd: props for playing a game based on my man Lovecraft's Mythos.

My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived

Last edited by Mandalore The Shadow; 03-28-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Don't know if VTMB counts, but that's one of my favorites.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Samuel Dravis

I'll second the Clive Barker's Undying vote. It was quite good.

VtMB is a good choice as well. Not always strictly horror-genre, but definitely enough to count.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

Does anyone also feel the lack of classic horror games for consoles? I don't know of I am just not attentive enough or what but I really don't see many.

My Mods

Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Cover-based shooting just doesn't go so well with survival horror, it turns out.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore The Shadow View Post
Does anyone also feel the lack of classic horror games for consoles? I don't know of I am just not attentive enough or what but I really don't see many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Cover-based shooting just doesn't go so well with survival horror, it turns out.
Sad but true on both parts

Alan Wake is a pretty decent horror game.. but as Sabre pointed out.. it involves some pew-pew. Seems they can't just leave that portion out and come out with a decent *gasp* RPG without the shooty elements.

Granted many RPG's contain a combat element, but console horror games seem to involve that portion as the dominate feature.

Still, Alan Wake is definitely worth a playthrough. Seems a little more traditional than most horror/survival (though I'll always have a place in my heart for the Deadspace series.. hehe)

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Alan Wake is interesting because despite its numerous horror elements (and obvious homages to King and Lovecraft), it bills itself as "A Psychological Action Thriller". Viewed from that lens, it does its job pretty well - there's lots of action, and in the second half of the game there isn't even any horror left as even Alan and his buddy start joking about the enemies they face.

To its credit, Alan Wake has a way of keeping you on the edge and making you feel uncomfortable in every single fight, no matter how repetitive.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

I may give Alan Wake a try but the only thing holding me back is all the really bad thing ls I have heard about the game.

My Mods

Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Bad things? Alan Wake is not the best horror game out there but it's fairly good. Mechanics work well, repetitiveness doesn't really bother much, atmosphere is spot on, graphics are still top notch, writing is excellent (Alan is, after all, a successful thriller writer and speaks just like you'd expect a writer to speak and think) and the rock concert at the farm bit... wow.

Definetly a hit in face of the lack of good horror games.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

You must understand that I have no opinion yet I was merely telling you what I have been told. Now that you say that I think I will try it out once I finish my replay of the Mass Effect series. I do appreciate that suggestion.

My Mods

Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
and the rock concert at the farm bit... wow.
CHILDREN OF THE ELDER GOD!

Like I said, don't go into Alan Wake as a horror game, and it's absolutely fantastic. It's one of the better put-together games I've seen in recent years and really shines in every department I can think of.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer

So what are everyone's favorite horror games? And favorite scary moments from any game?

My Mods

Old 04-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Another vote for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

The haunted house alone makes it worth playing.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore The Shadow View Post
So what are everyone's favorite horror games? And favorite scary moments from any game?
F.E.A.R. and its expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate, not the "lame" sequels), the Penumbra trilogy, and Amnesia.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Classic Horror Games