lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Whats your opinoin on SWTOR in relation to the kotor series?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
birthdaycake13
Rookie

Current Game: kotor and tsl
Whats your opinoin on SWTOR in relation to the kotor series?

Whats your opinion on swtor in relation to the kotor games? personally i was disapointed considering it was the least bit similar to kotor in any way or form. Just leave your opinion below

check out my youtube channel for some kotor vids!
http://www.youtube.com/user/birthdaycake13?feature=mhum
birthdaycake13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It's more expensive.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

It does not exist.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's great.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
It has the potential to be great, and in time may be the time-sink SWG was for me, but it is quite the chore pre and post level 50. Patch 1.2 could bring some more fun now there is a new Warzone n' stuff.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I'm only interested in the books. So far I think they've been pretty good.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
TOR is excellently awesome and fun.

In relation to the KotOR series? No relation...TOR is better,..by leaps and bounds.
KotOR is a 7 year old game that you can play through in 3 days. So why try to equate it?
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuai-Donn Jorn View Post
KotOR is a 7 year old game that you can play through in 3 days. So why try to equate it?
What?

Must... not... reply...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Books: entertaining. Only Deceived and Revan have had any bearing whatsoever on the game as best I can determine.

Fatal Alliance has yet to bear any significance. None of the characters from it have solidly shown up in the game.

Gaming wise, can't comment. Have not played.

Story wise...neutral: it's a continuation if ever so minor about the sith emperor. That is about the only direct relation...and maybe one or two other characters. Keeping spoilerifics to a minimum, I don't think this is the last we've heard from Emperor Vitiate. Still a Work In Progress. Other than the ancient tyrant's connection to the KOTOR games, and apparently a few references (or so I am told) and some familiar character names there is no other connections.

What I don't like is the fact that it is an MMO you have to pay subscriptions to, but we've been through this before. Basically I believe when you buy a game, that should be all, save for DLC. But ce' le vie, this is what it is. So if they are determined to keep working on it and adding to it, I'm fine with that. They're listening to what we the fans are saying, and have been saying. Well, some of us.

I hear the complaint that "it doesn't revolutionize MMO gameplay". Just so long as it plays SOMETHING resembling KOTOR games and actually feels like Star Wars, I don't have much problem there as this will be my first MMO anyways. And probably the last. What it does do is add more storylines and voiced dialogue than any other has to date.

SWTOR is probably the reason this forum is beginning to come back a little.

I like that I'll be able to connect with some friends over long distances, and maybe get to "cyber hangout" with some people here.

To sum it up, I could take it or leave it. I'll take it for a time when I am able. But it's expensive, and it will be expensive to get to that point.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
TOR is excellently awesome and fun.

In relation to the KotOR series? No relation...TOR is better,..by leaps and bounds.
3 days!? I can do it in 9hrs.
Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
I don't think he meant 3 days of playtime.

You do take breaks, right?

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I was in the "we must have KotOR III!" camp... now I don't give a rats about KotOR III cause TOR is awesome

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
They are two Star Wars games set roughly in the same time period. That's as far as it goes. They have about as much relation to one another as Republic Commando does to Force Unleashed.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
I don't think he meant 3 days of playtime.

You do take breaks, right?
yes. still 9 hrs.
Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
What?

Must... not... reply...
Whynot? Go 'head.

I have no clue about comic books and novels and whatnot..so I'm not commenting on all that. I was just talking about the games..

Quote:
Oh,..ok...well then there ya go! 10 or 12 hrs..
I don't know playthrough time...but you get my point. TOR's an MMO so it's huge.

Quote:
was in the "we must have KotOR III!" camp... now I don't give a rats about KotOR III cause TOR is awesome
I agree.
Well, I wasn't ever in that camp, so I never gave a rat's. But I did enjoy the games as they were..having only discovered them two years ago.

Quote:
Other than the ancient tyrant's connection to the KOTOR games, and apparently a few references (or so I am told) and some familiar character names there is no other connections.
They HAD to put refrences to the old games in because it was demanded by... oh, uh, nevermind. They did do a really good job of ignoring TSL though...and patting themselves on the back for the original KotOR.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #16
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I was in the "we must have KotOR III!" camp... now I don't give a rats about KotOR III cause TOR is awesome
Ditto.

I was no way in hell I'll play a MMO camp, but I'm glad someone talked me into it.

Still not a fan of MMOs, but I am a fan of TOR. One of the big things to me when comparing it to KotOR and TSL is I don't have to play as a Jedi. I can be a hawt, green, female Han Solo.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #17
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
..or a fat green alien in heavy armor with a huuuuge...

..gun.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
but I'm glad someone talked me into it.
I'm sure.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
What?

Must... not... reply...
Qft!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
Big deal. This guy can beat it in 2 hours.

e:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
I'm only interested in the books. So far I think they've been pretty good.
"The moment passed and the universe began to move again, though everything seemed to be happening in slow motion."
"Revan's head snapped to the side, shock and horror emanating from him even though his mask hid his expression."

Last edited by Giant Graffiti; 03-29-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
"The moment passed and the universe began to move again, though everything seemed to be happening in slow motion."
"Revan's head snapped to the side, shock and horror emanating from him even though his mask hid his expression."
That's worse than Spike's poetry from Buffy the Vampire Slayer... and the poetry was supposed to be bad.

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

sounds like my attempts at RP lol

Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
It does not exist.
This.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

He just says that cause he can't pirate it

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Thank the maker, I was starting to think I just imagined playing it.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
Somewhat appropriately, Revan is admittedly the weak link of the three, though decent as far as the larger EU is concerned (if you want some real beige prose, check out any of the movie novelizations other than RotS). Kemp's and Williams' contributions had (among other things) the advantage of not being shackled to predetermined foregone conclusions in their plots.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
The KOTOR comics are awesome.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

^^^

I thought so too, until the artwork started looking like this:

image.jpg

and when that ridiculous time-travel nonsense subplot began.

e: tinypic is horrible.

Last edited by Giant Graffiti; 04-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #29
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Ehh I don't really like what they did with Revan and the general setting of of the game, which appears to be custom-tailored for MMOing. Another Sith invasion which the noble Jedi have to fight off in an epic war? Haven't we done that a million times already?

It's also ridiculously hugging the original-trilogy aesthetically. For all its OT homages, KotOR maintained a distinct style that made it look like its own franchise.

I've heard a lot of good things about TOR, mind, especially the story, but really, in relation to the KotOR games, this game is non-canon for me.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #30
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I was kidding Sabre

That... and people who haven't actually played TOR get the setting wrong thinking it's, as you said, another epic war where the Jedi fight off the Sith. I've discovered through playing multiple characters that it's a hell of a lot more nuanced than that and that there's a lot more going on than meets the eye since there's a greater story being weaved through the multiple class storylines.

Also, what they may or may not have done to Revan in TOR isn't that bad as people try to make it out to be. I also have to point out that what The Old Republic has shown us at this point is only the beginning of the story that BioWare has planned. Again, while playing through multiple characters, I can see that there's more ahead very clearly and that things are going to be related back to KotOR.

As for aesthetics, there have been some changes since beta and since early access/release and even more changes coming in 1.2 and 1.3 onward which introduce more unique designs into the entire game. It seems pretty clear that at first they wanted to create a hook for regular Star Wars fans to hold onto with their design decisions but they're moving away from the more familiar designs into more unique ones now.

As for my judgement about TOR. I love the game as a Star Wars game but it's going to take a few years for me to decide how I feel about it in relation to where it fits into KotOR since I know there's still a lot of story left to explore with it. I want to see where it leads into the future before I make up my mind.

In the meantime, I've been having a hell of a lot of fun with all of the other LFN members here and we've gotten ourselves a nice guild started on both sides. Things are good all round with the game and our community interaction in the game.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #31
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Quote:
Also, what they may or may not have done to Revan in TOR isn't that bad as people try to make it out to be. I also have to point out that what The Old Republic has shown us at this point is only the beginning of the story that BioWare has planned. Again, while playing through multiple characters, I can see that there's more ahead very clearly and that things are going to be related back to KotOR.
Though it is their own character, I find the direction quite interesting. From a character that was lauded off as unique given the stance(which might just be my own wishful thinking for the character), that they would use any means to achieve their goal, and it doesn't matter what's thrown in their way. Even more, Revan was willing to chose the dark side, knowing the risks, but still willing to use it anyway. Which might be only a stance that Obsidian gave Revan, but It only made the character more interesting(namely since TSL went with any possibility the first ended with, where TOR just leaves the ending of the second in the dust, while assuming things abut the first[which are true, but only light-sided]).

Now, of course, it becomes wiped down to Revan never having embraced the dark side for any reason, always being the Jedi at heart, and worst of all, made a pawn for this mysterious Emperor, alongside being captured. Compound this with the Exile's fate, and I can't have much of a like for the game. Unless there is more to it than that, which I find hard to follow.

Not that I intend to bash it entirely, as the rest of the story/game might just be great. Though I don't think I would ever intend on buying a game that hinges on paying for both the game itself, and another 20$+ every month, never mind the need for internet access(might be a single-player mode, without needing it, but still...).

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #32
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Funny, I don't remember it happening that way when I played the Revan parts in TOR. Though I can see how a lot of people see how it would be like that.

There are many points in TOR where it's made clear that Revan did embrace both the light and dark side and while he is against the Emperor and the state of the Empire as it is, that doesn't mean he's always been a Jedi at heart. I certainly never got that impression from the information I got from the game.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #33
RevMg
Rookie

Quote:
Funny, I don't remember it happening that way when I played the Revan parts in TOR. Though I can see how a lot of people see how it would be like that.

There are many points in TOR where it's made clear that Revan did embrace both the light and dark side and while he is against the Emperor and the state of the Empire as it is, that doesn't mean he's always been a Jedi at heart. I certainly never got that impression from the information I got from the game.
Oh, but the problem with TOR is that it lacks subtlety of KotOR2. This whole light and dark side is limited only to the fact he can use Force lighting. (The Forge is in fact more of a prove of his insanity than anything else).

Not to mention with TOR they made Revan the Emperor's victim. While before TOR Revan was the only one you could count responsible for what he had done, after TOR we learn that he was just mind-controlled. (Yea i know that part about getting free from the influence of the Emperor, but still his mind was altered, he did sth he did not believe in the first place).

So while KotOR2 gave us Revan, a character who lost faith in the Jedi Code after seeing the horrors of war, who was willing to do what he belived in what led him in the end to become a Sith Lord (out of arrogance we may add).

TOR gives us Revan who was always Jedi at heart. Only that his pure intentions were corrupted by the Emperor. For me it makes him less interesting, one dimensional character.
RevMg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #34
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I guess I must have played a different TOR then.

EDIT: And yes, there are two different versions of Revan's fates based on the Republic and Imperial flashpoints, this I know. The point I'm trying to make is that from what I saw, Revan hasn't become that one dimensional character people seem to claim. In fact, the game has gotten me interested in what will happen with him as more story content is released.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #35
RevMg
Rookie

Quote:
I guess I must have played a different TOR then.

EDIT: And yes, there are two different versions of Revan's fates based on the Republic and Imperial flashpoints, this I know. The point I'm trying to make is that from what I saw, Revan hasn't become that one dimensional character people seem to claim. In fact, the game has gotten me interested in what will happen with him as more story content is released.
Then you must have played different game, bc the fate of Revan is the same regardless of which side you play. The point is, that first Republic frees him, then Imperials do their thing.

Out of curiosity, what was the thing that got you interested?
RevMg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #36
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Duh, I forgot about the chronological progression. My mistake, only played through the two Imp flashpoints once awhile back and the asshats I was playing with rushed through the entire thing.

As for the end of The Forge, we don't know his fate, but it seems pretty clear that he has more of a part to play in the future.

...and got me interested in what?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #37
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I've played the same game as Lynk....

I liked Revan best in the smugglers story line so far, because she is largely nonexistent there. A few bones here and there, but about what you would expect from some ancient history. Of course I always felt Revan was a one dimensional character from the moment of the big twist in KOTOR. TSL made her slightly more interesting, but I found the Exile to be a way more interesting character than Revan. I would have been happier with TOR if BioWare would have left Revan out of the entire game, not because of what they did in TOR, because they ruined my playable character in KOTOR with the big twist.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #38
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
I don't think you realize that KOTOR is going to be a 9-year-old game this summer! I saw a trailer for KOTOR 10 years ago.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #39
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

I rather have 3 days story than 1 month MMO-grind with the same amount of story thrown in.

I got tired real really fast of combat during the weekend demo. And that's just to lvl 15, starter levels and 4 days...
Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #40
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

That's why you play with your friends in an MMO.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Whats your opinoin on SWTOR in relation to the kotor series?

Tags
kotor games swtor games