lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Community Project (?) - New Planet
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Community Project (?) - New Planet

This thread is meant to be a kind of test of willingness/people available, and then maybe some idea-throwing if there are people with ideas and a desire to do this.

The idea is to do a new planet for KotOR I, as a standalone mod. That means no grand overarching themes, no massive plots, etc. Let's face it, making a single planet would be difficult enough. The bit which I hope will grab your interest, though, is that the idea here is to make use of KotOR's lost modules. Specifically, the cut part of the Shadowlands (m25ab), the Czerka area (m21aa), and the old Tatooine temple and cave complex (m19aa):

Show spoiler

The reason for using these areas is because... well, they're there, and they aren't being used. They need a little work to be made truly functional, it must be said, but I don't think they're unsalvageable. I've done a small amount of initial work to try and make the areas look more like they belong together (keep in mind these are rough concepts, not finished reworks):
Show spoiler

My feeling is that the forest should connect three areas: the landing area (for which the Korriban one would be best), the temple, and the Czerka module.

So there are two questions here:
1. Are people interested in this idea?
2. What should the planet be about?

For my part, I'd be willing to do some more work on reworking the module areas, and take on the bulk of the scripting for things like the galaxy map. What I'm looking for here are people who are willing to come up with stuff to put in the modules, because (for once) I've come up blank, but also I'm looking for people to share the work-load. Again, this all depends on interest.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I can't wait for updates on this!

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
CptPriceless

Current Game: TSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
I can't wait for updates on this!
This is late IMO; I'm surprised no one has proposed this before.

CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Druganator

Current Game: Kotor, TSL, Fable II
Good idea brah, I'd download it as long as it had a story to go along. Looks good so far.

There is no Palpatine. No Empire. No Jedi. There is no Light. No Dark... Just you, and I, here, now.
Druganator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
One idea to get the player to the planet is a message sent to the Ebon Hawk- T3 is the one who tells you = no VO needed. The message could be from help me to a Jedi sending info of a possible Ancient Ruin, Person sent message could be Republic or Jedi.

Second thought is to just have a hidden location on the Ebon Hawk computer that then leads you to the planet by just want to explore or some hint either Davik was going there-business.

These ideas will get you to the planet with little code and only beep sounds from T3 for VO.

I like the images of the planet and I agree to make it simple when it comes to quests. It could even be a quest hub. Place some side quests and then future modders can add more.

Also the planet could be one that is dominated by Alien species --to save from to much VO (assuming you would use VO in this mod)-with mainly alien VO then the humans if any could be for more important roles like quest giver or confrontation npc.

I hope I'm understanding what your goal is,..I sometimes get carried away :-p

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Current Game: Kotor 1
Hmm, intresting idea. I like Logan's ideas about the quests. Will focusing on compatabilaty on mods like BOS SR, Yavin and Ord Mandell be an issue? Either way I'm excited about this, and will be willing to offer help when I can. I'd be happy to be part of the team if I modded more regulary. But school/friends take up alot of my time, so I'm afraid apart from encouragement and the odd idea or too, I wont be able to help.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^

USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Another member woefully lacking much of a role in KotOR - after Kashyyyk, at least - is Zaalbar. It would be nice to see him in a role where he could really shine. He wound up taking Bacca's Ceremonial Blade off-world . . . maybe something could be tied into that event. Perhaps learning the origin of that spaceship could tie into the new planet. Was it a Rakatan craft that crash landed on Kashyyyk? A Rakatan craft that could lead to a Rakatan temple?

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
CptPriceless

Revan mentioned something about Tython during TOR. Maybe this can be it; it has lush forests, a landing bay, and a temple. This should take place after the revelation imo - tasks on Tython may help Revan find the peace (LS) or the strength (DS) needed to face dark-side Bastila and Malak. The peace/strength could be found through trials in the forests and/or meditations in the temple - I want dem stat boosts . Plus there really wasn't much reaction to the destruction of Dantooine's enclave except for about 2 lines of dialogue. Traveling to Tython can emphasize Dantooine's importance (maybe Jolee or Juhani could propose going there).

Or we could bounce off SH's idea of expanding party member stories; Zaalbar would be a nice candidate.

Last edited by CptPriceless; 05-06-2012 at 03:38 PM.
CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Christos K
Forumite

Couldn't the community devote time to restoring Sleheyron instead?

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
logan23
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos K View Post
Couldn't the community devote time to restoring Sleheyron instead?
Someone is already doing that.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Exile007
Forumite

Current Game: Zelda Majora's Mask
I think the Czerka area should be like the main hub of the planet - the player can visit shops, find quests, and talk to a bunch of people. The forest area connects the Czerka module to the temple. I would place some wild beasts or something in the forest that the player slaughters his or her way through. Then maybe at the temple there could be some surviving Rakata. This could be like a quest for the player to investigate or something.

Good idea, DI.
Exile007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
logan23
Veteran

I guess you need to determine what planet would fit these maps and quests.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Christos K
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
Someone is already doing that.
BUT what if we had the ENTIRE community working on that mod.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #14
FaZzZa99
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
I guess you need to determine what planet would fit these maps and quests.
My first thought was Dromund Kaas, but I guess it might not be appropriate given the timeline.
FaZzZa99 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
All right, so it's been a little while since this thread was active. I'm going to go ahead and assume there is still some interest in a project like this. I've taken the liberty of writing a draft plot for this, based on a couple of the suggestions in this thread. I hope someone will give some feedback/suggestions/comments:

Show spoiler

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

I like the idea, i don't have a computer right now, but if you need a voice actor, i'd be happy to try.
Also what about having it so instead of czerka (since they are kind of despicable) have it as the republic looking to create a small base for mining minerals or something to help the republic in the war. Also you could have this before the star forge planet as a sort of stop to help out before the main mission.

For your story i have no complaints, though. I may suggest more in the future
DuckfromPortal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Haven't read my PMs in a long time, but interestingly I have two of them today.

Never saw this thread until today, as it was started in my exile. Neat idea, nice draft, very interesting. Being a stand-alone planet is a good idea as well; keeps the scope somewhat manageable.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #18
Isaac Clarke

Nice idea, InSidious, however do remember that having the PC help Czerka contradicts the LS storyline, where he/she regards them as an enemy. Maybe change up the groups? You need an incentive. Why is he/she so willing to help them?

And regarding,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
The player, depending on their powers and Treat Injury skill, can then attempt to heal them (success to be determined by their Treat Injury skill, or else, if they have Force Cure/Heal, is guaranteed).
I think it should just be by treat injury skill. Most players usually have Cure at that point.

Just my 2 cents.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
DeathScepter
Rookie

I am a newbie comes to modding in general but I am bit interested in adding a few characters.

One Character is a Sith Assault Trooper named Daxom and he is a bit of a sociopath and a super soldier. And Female Sith with a Jedi Sentinel class.

both of them have their own gear.

well I am willing to learn.
DeathScepter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
Nice idea, InSidious, however do remember that having the PC help Czerka contradicts the LS storyline, where he/she regards them as an enemy. Maybe change up the groups? You need an incentive. Why is he/she so willing to help them?
Maybe it could be Aratech that is there instead of Czerka? They are after all, the arms-and-supply company for the Republic at this time.

And let's be honest, I'm also looking for an excuse for character reskins and new items, haha.

I like the storyline, by the way! I wouldn't mind helping out with the project, though my involvement would be rather minimal at best. I have other stuff to work on too, you know.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
DeathScepter
Rookie

I would love this project to come together.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #22
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
Maybe it could be Aratech that is there instead of Czerka? They are after all, the arms-and-supply company for the Republic at this time.
Good idea, LDR. However, how about the Arkanians? True, they took a loss due to Zayne and company during the Mando Wars, but they are still big on supplying armies with as much gear as they need. And we've seen them work both sides of the Mando Wars, so why not the Sith-Republic Wars, as well?

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
DeathScepter
Rookie

Sidequest suggestion: Make Stealth more useful and able to use a skills oriented PC outside of the heavy force user or the Combat Friendly PC
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Strides 2 View Post
Good idea, LDR. However, how about the Arkanians? True, they took a loss due to Zayne and company during the Mando Wars, but they are still big on supplying armies with as much gear as they need. And we've seen them work both sides of the Mando Wars, so why not the Sith-Republic Wars, as well?
That's another good idea, but I think it would be better to expand upon Aratech, considering there isn't much lore about them in the Old Republic Era. Plus I really want to see some Aratech weaponry in the game, we have enough Arkanian stuff .

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
DeathScepter
Rookie

Idea for More Interactive Villains: having 3 Alien Sith Lords using the rakghouls and Terentateks as a small army to defend their project on another area of the planet.

Also having a new playable character that joins your crew and she is a Dark Jedi. And during the course of this planet, she will discover what happen to her squad. 3 Sith Lords are the cause of her squad. after the close of the planet, she joins you.

Fade to Black Sidequests:

Revan: Faces his Dark Half and the truth of the Star Forge and why the Star Forge must be destroyed.

Seviole: Her guilt of her squad's death.

Hk-47: His failure to kill Mandalore the Shadow. And his re programming by him to kill that Mandalore Soldier.

Each of them have to overcome their past and each side quest has to be done alone with that said character. Of course there will be a boss battle as well.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Just a thought, but with the Jedi Temple and Sithspectre having introduced his Coruscant skinned modules, could we have a brief visit to the Jedi Temple where the quest to the planet is given? It would mean we could obviously add a store and a few nice items to get there...

Could we meet and have to stop a Sith from TSL - say if we add an earlier incarnation of Darth Sion? Also chasing after mastering the Abyss that DI mentions... Revan (the PC) ultimately can't defeat Sion in combat due to his ability to heal himself, but Revan defeats Sion by Mastering the Abyss and then trapping Sion somewhere on the planet?

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Just a thought, but with the Jedi Temple and Sithspectre having introduced his Coruscant skinned modules, could we have a brief visit to the Jedi Temple where the quest to the planet is given? It would mean we could obviously add a store and a few nice items to get there...
This could be good. I love to do module reskins but I'm absolutely horrible at getting anything done with them.

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
DeathScepter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post

Could we meet and have to stop a Sith from TSL - say if we add an earlier incarnation of Darth Sion? Also chasing after mastering the Abyss that DI mentions... Revan (the PC) ultimately can't defeat Sion in combat due to his ability to heal himself, but Revan defeats Sion by Mastering the Abyss and then trapping Sion somewhere on the planet?

That is a good idea. As for Kotor Campaign Guide, Revan dismiss Sion being blinded by Rage. So I won't put it pass Sion to visit the Abyss for further Training in the Dark side.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Community Project (?) - New Planet