Thread: The Old Republic for Dummies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #441
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Well he had CCs last night in the forum of Leyn'a, but he aggro the the entire room before I had a chance to use them. The only person I've seen tick off that many NPC at once is Lynk either as Lynk or Priss. My plan was just to CCs one and let CrisG do all the killing, help him get a understand of what to do. Also figured my healer could heal him since he doesn't have one yet. However, my plan went out the window when he attacked while I was still recouping my force from the angry mobs we just killed.

Thanks Mitiades, I really have no clue what abilities the Guardian has, so any help is really appreciated. I also have no clue why anyone would play one when the Shadow is soooooo much better.

Last edited by mimartin; 05-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #442
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I do it on purpose though for the lulz

Lynk Former is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #443
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I do it on purpose though for the lulz
I know you do, and I know you have done it to test me too in the past. Which I'm happy about that now because it helped me out a lot last night.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #444
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Mim I am sorry i did not understand your stragey,

all i understood was that you wanted me to do the fighting...which is what i tried to do. I dont know what CC means. In the area i needed help, that final room with the Sith and the three other Imperials, i just needed to kill him, understand i had spent hours in that setting already killing everyone else several times over and i did not need to do anything with them to advance the quest but i was not able to kill that boss on my own no matter what abilities i used. I am stuck with the Guardian but to be honest, i am not able to kill many bosses no matter what I do until i am three or four levels above them and the elites are still trouble. I am stuck again to be honest, having to kill of Darth Angle, but his is at the same level I am at and there is no way i will survive long enough to even have a chance to kill him yet. So I will try to visit other worlds and level up with any quests i can do even if they are higher level worlds. I hate to keep asking for help, ....but my abilities are just not good enough to deal with bosses until i can get my own healer. I asked Biwoare about it thru support and they said it was part of the game design to force us to play in groups, that was why the bosses are so tough. I always welcome help...if you want can you explain what you intended to do in that room that you helped me in last night? What i recall was entering it, and almost as soon as i was near the boss, he vanished in to some form of cloaking, which he had not done before....so i was not sure where he was.....

when you say you planned to CC one of the others, does that mean freeze them? i have a stun ablitiy but it only lasts nine seconds and has a long cool down period so it is not someting i use much. So as i say, i welcome advice, but i dont know what to do without having some way to learn it...there are no instructions with the game on technique or strategy for the various classes ....and so i have had to guess and just end up trying to use what does the most damage ....which does not work with most bosses.

lulz is another code word i do not know.

UPDATE: i read the previous page, and htanks for your reply on that ...i was not sure what you meant by WB... ah World Boss, ok now i understand, ys sorry for posting that in that thread......i think it was...and i also dont know what AOE effects means ...sorry.

i ddint try to get everyone going at once, and i dont have a freeze of any duration, just a very short one. I dont have an interrupt that is easy to use either, a kick and a skill that does stop action but you have to use another skill first ...so it is cimplicated. So i usualy focus on the weakest people first, and try to kill them off and plan on being killed a couple of times and even having to go back to the med station before i can start to work on the boss. So i do try to stategize to that degree but to be honest the skills i have even with the list that Lynk gave me just dont make the Guardian very good in a close fight...... i dont mind worki8ng hard and fighiting hard and dealing with a long series of enemies but these super powerfuls bosses are really making this a hard proccess for me and i keep hoping i can get to some sort of level to be safter or to get my own healer companion .

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR

Last edited by CrisG; 05-02-2012 at 12:17 AM.
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #445
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Don't worry about it...

I'm use to fighting everything in the game at once from playing with Lynk and Leyn'a is actually good at it. CC is crowd control. Something I believe you are going have to learn in order to enjoy the game. Don't worry about it; I had to learn the same thing while going through the game with my healer. I've always played games up until TOR with the attitude of killing everything in an area. In ME, KOTOR and TSL I would run into the middle of an area and kill everything. Well that strategy will not work real well in TOR. You are going to have to exam a area and figure out the best way to accomplish the quest requirements.

Donít take this the wrong way, I enjoyed fighting 10 npc at the same time last night. I like the hectic situation and knowing a mistake may spell doom. However, it was not teaching you the proper ways to get past that part on your own. Much like me being too depended on Lynkís Priss with my trooper. The strength of my Shadow is stealth and crowd control. I can stun an enemy while we kill the others and then perform a few devastating attacks on the stunned enemy. What I was going to do in the battle last night was stun the sith lord and allow you to kill the other two without him attacking you , then after you kill them you would have killed the Sith Lord with my healer healing you. However that was before I found out you have no crowd control. So Iím somewhat stumped at you best strategy as every class Iíve played has had some form of CC, even if it was the as little as my trooper.

Just understand in the future that when you play with my shadow or later with my sawbones, neither is wearing heavy armor. My shadow is actually in light armor, so please allow me to use my class strengths to at least somewhat control the damage I subject her to. So allow me to go in CC someone and then get the first blow. Also do not attack the enemy I CC, that will be the very last person we kill even if we break the CC. In that case I will CC them again with a lesser and shorter CC to give us time to kill the rest.

Nine seconds is better than no seconds, so use it on the strongest and attack the other as hard and fast as you can. Then when the 9 seconds is up order you companion to attack that one while you mop up the lesser ones.

I have no clue how you people play this game without stealth and CCs.

My first suggestion for crowd control without a real CC ability is donít run across the middle of a room and once you know the spotted you , stop and fight before trying to run past the next mob. You can do that stuff in the open world, but in an enclosed area all your going to do is up your repair bill. Your companion drew aggro from everything in the room within 5 seconds and then I got it from her when I attacked what was attacking her. Youíre lucky I like you because when I saw you across the room and saw all those red dots, I really thought about dropping out of combat and running for the hills. Please donít take this as an insult or moaning, Iím not, I had a lot of fun doing that, it is just unfair to you because Iím teaching you the wrong way to get through a quest solo.

AOE - Area of Effect - means it is a power that can effect more of a area that a single person.

Crowd Control - CC

Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #446
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I play as one of the only other classes that doesn't have a CC ability. I can say pretty confidently that's it's very easy to defeat a mob of enemies much stronger than you without CCing one of them.

All you need to do is to know your classes strengths and weakness and to know when to use certain abilities, when to save others and which abilities have a strong effect if used in combination with another ability.

Sadly, if you don't know the basics of how that works, you're going to end up finding every boss on your class quest or the standard planet quest to be tough despite everyone else finding them easy to moderate.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #447
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
thanks a lot for all the help and assistance, i sent you a thank you gift Mim and thanks Lynk and all others, i have to return to real and my real work for a while, SWTOR was taking to much time and effort and was not something i can dedicate the time to right now, i hope i can come back and good luck with the Guild, sorry i will miss the boss fight good luck with that. and thanks again.

Cris

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR

Last edited by CrisG; 05-02-2012 at 05:40 AM.
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #448
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

@Lynk, Mav, Jeff, CrisG, Kus and everyone else I've grouped with in TOR, I would like to apologize. Over the past few days I have discovered I have been doing something a very fundamental thing wrong. This largely has to do with DPS and not healing, but I am sure it can only improve my healing abilities too. I’m astonish that I could be doing something so fundamentally wrong and still be able to not only complete the story line, but get so far along in the after 50 area. I not going to say what it is, let’s just say I live up to the title of the thread (pretty sure Lynk will figure it out the first time we play dailies together again).

I will say I would not have figure it out without doing operations and playing different classes (can’t believe I only figured it out after getting my 4th toon to level 37. Thank you all for being so patient with me and I really hope I have given you all a good laugh.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #449
snommism
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Over the past few days I have discovered I have been doing something a very fundamental thing wrong.
I'm dying to know what it was.

I too have learned things about myself, improved my rotations, discovered skills I never really utilized while doing ops. Mostly in the infernal council, that fight can be rough.
snommism is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #450
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by snommism View Post
I'm dying to know what it was.

I too have learned things about myself, improved my rotations, discovered skills I never really utilized while doing ops. Mostly in the infernal council, that fight can be rough.
Way more fundamental than that...

Let's just saying I was using the mouse too much and the keyboard way too little, so I was wasting soooooo much time between attacks. Still may not be doing it right, but now I'm using the mouse and keyboard. Attacks now are way more fluid and extremely fast.

Ok, we all know now I am a console player.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #451
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
To be honest, I still think I use my mouse too much myself. Although I've hotkeys for two rows of skillbars, I tend to only use the first 5 with hotkeys and my mouse for the rest. The thing is, you could use only your keyboard, hitting hotkeys all day long, but especially in harder fights (as in fighting World Bosses, for example), it's important to stay on the move, so I tend to keep my mouse ready at all times.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #452
snommism
Rookie

I think one or two of our guilds healers are "clickers." I was surprised when I learned that because they are both very good healers. I have 3 horizontal bars that i have keymaped to 1 - "=", f1 - f12 and s1-s12, I really only use 1-5 and f1-f5 99% of the time and will click items in the 10+ range.
However, on my gunslinger, every so often i'll have both hands on the keyboard covering all squares of my bars (so many useful skills on a slinger XD )
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #453
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I thought you and I already had a talk about using hotkeys instead of clicking @ mim

Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #454
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Yeah, I kind of figured it out the other day, but I've been experimenting during dailies. Even attempted to do that 2+ Heroic on Belsavis solo, with this method, I’m fairly sure I could do it, that is if I wanted to take the time to do it. Got past the first 2 groups without death, but it just took too long to keep my interest. Had I been working on my implants or relic, I may have continue, but since I already have them I’ll stick with the easier faster dailies unless I have help.

2 months ago, I couldn't even imagine Brem taking on two strongs and a elite at the same time. Hell two strongs usually meant death.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #455
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I thought you and I already had a talk about using hotkeys instead of clicking @ mim
The awkward talk with your dad when he tells you to use hotkeys.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #456
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I use both methods, If I can stand in one place its much more precise for me to click, when I'm moving around or in huttball I hotkey. Do what is easier for you, there is no Global standard or skillset you must follow, I'm sure they're are people with the most uneconomical play-styles that'll kick your ass every day. But as you feel you have improved by changing? cool

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #457
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

They probably have better latency I know one of the biggest reasons why I use hotkeys is cause I'm always hovering around the 200ms mark since I'm in Australia... I'd rather not have to add slot clicking to the delay.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #458
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
psh, I click the **** out of everything

"Women are like sunsetsÖ theyíre beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #459
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I kind of have a system where some abilities are strictly hotkey and some I click with no downtime since you become so accustomed to where they are on the bars.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #460
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Alright I finally found the perfect TOR character for me, Jedi Consular, Shadow. She is a little fiery Miraluka red head that is lightside, but very independent and non-traditional. Unlike Brem, Leyn’a seeks battle from Elites and Champions and has yet to find one she cannot defeat. However, my only problem is that she does not dress like a traditional jedi. I want more of Aayla Secura look and less of the 100 year old Jedi librarian look. Thus far I’ve gotten this look by wearing the dancers top and everything else traditional jedi, however Lynk is accusing Leyn’a of being a Priss want-to-be, so it is time to upgrade her style. As a trooper I got a random drop of a bare-midriff Jedi Knight top, it was orange, but does anyone know if there is something similar in light armor for the Jedi Consular that is orange? Or does anyone have Synthweaving and the schematic for something like this in orange light armor? I would pay you for it or trade high end biochem stuff for it.

Let me know if anyone can help...

Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #461
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Unfortunately mim, you'll find that the Consular gear has the worst looks in the game, with my Shadow I've come to accept the fact that I look retarded.

"Women are like sunsetsÖ theyíre beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #462
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I've been looking through torhead at all of the different customisable light armour drops, while most of it does look pretty much the same, there are a few (very few) really good options provided you really want to work for it or you get lucky on gtn lol.

I'm also trying to come up with unique looks for each of my toons so I'm on the same kind of hunt mim is.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #463
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Well I still have the starter orange robes given after becoming a Jedi, they actually look decent. Well at least they don't look like she is wearing a 5 inch thick burlap sack. Look thin, cool and form fitting. For now though, she will continue to be a Priss wannabe. I wonder if I can spacemail her the empire dancers outfit top.

Last edited by mimartin; 05-10-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #464
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
On my shadow, i quite like the lvl 20 pvp armor a lot.
Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #465
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Unfortunately mim, you'll find that the Consular gear has the worst looks in the game, with my Shadow I've come to accept the fact that I look retarded.
At least the Battlemaster pvp gear looks great. But unfortunately the new pvp gear is terrible. And yeah as far as leveling gear, not too familiar with great looking designs.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #466
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Actually I think pretty much all the armor in the game looks a lot better than most other MMO's... especially World of Warcraft where you were stuck looking ugly as **** for at least the first 40-50 levels.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #467
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Been doing story ops, by no means am I great or ready to single-handedly take out a Ops boss on my own, but I'm fairly confident in my healers abilities. Last Ops died twice, once was stupid, trying to keep the other healer up right by hitting with a big heal which required me to remain stationary while getting hit with flames. Got the big heal off that most likely saved the other healer, but died in the process (so it was stupid). The other death was not my fault. We wiped in the one on one fights, because someone used AOE heal or something. Wasn't me, I took Kolto Cloud off the bar before the fight and my target was dead before the wipe.

So my questions is, after I get my hat, what should I be doing, other than waiting for guild members to reach 50 to heal through their HMFPs? How do I know when I'm ready for the next level of Ops? Is it only gear related and when I get the last piece, my hat, I'm ready? Should I just continue to do more story Ops, but only going when they need a healer? I have improve over my hopeless, under-geared self that attempted to do HMFP without a proper understanding of my abilities, I don't want to lose the momentum. However, I also don't want take up places in story mode ops from fresh 50 toons.

If it wasn't a issue, I would be happy sticking with story mode at least 2 or 3 more times. Would really like to complete a Ops without have to use resurrect once to know I was ready for the next level and I am fairly confident I can get to that level as a healer. Provide people don't stand in lava.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #468
snommism
Rookie

Quote:
So my questions is, after I get my hat, what should I be doing, other than waiting for guild members to reach 50 to heal through their HMFPs?
That's pretty much it, I've been pretty well geared on my smugglers for a while, but am still very active in operations (and HMFPs to a much lesser extent) while others are gearing up (granted we are doing hard/nightmare these days).

Quote:
How do I know when I'm ready for the next level of Ops? Is it only gear related and when I get the last piece, my hat, I'm ready?
Yes and no. There are many variables, one being the team. If the team is mostly decently geared then one or two can be under geared. Just two weeks ago we took two freshly level 50s through EV hardmode (well till Soa, he takes a bit of coordination that they didn't have yet, which brings me to the next point). Skill can make up for gear. I healed hard mode EV the day after I hit 50 (the main healer was a good healer and I did have full orange gear with daily armorings).
But the absolute best way to tell? Try and see

Quote:
Provide people don't stand in lava.
lol. Yeah I guess to add to my above "are you ready for the next level," as a healer, it also depends on your team. If people are constantly taking stupid damage then even the best healer is going to struggle.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #469
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
lol. Yeah I guess to add to my above "are you ready for the next level," as a healer, it also depends on your team. If people are constantly taking stupid damage then even the best healer is going to struggle.
Never know about my team...Most of my guild is way ahead or way behind me so I've been running ops with Casual Alliance. In all but one Ops this has worked out really well. Even the one bad Ops the team was decent with the exception of we kept hitting the enrage timer with Gharj. Must have wiped 6 to 10 times, not sure how many, a couple times I was still standing during enrage and I just escaped from combat. Not really sure what the problem was. My guess is we were lacking in range attacks, too many first timers, too many tanks trying to DPS and one guy standing in lava the entire fight. Had he not been in the lava I may have had enough energy to do a little DPS to help with the last 2% of Gharj health. We got him to 2% or 3% a couple times before he enraged.

Did Eternity Vault again last Saturday and made it through no problems at all, with the same two healers. So I donít believe I was the problem the first time, but I have gotten better too, thanks largely to all the practice I received from that first time through Eternity and dealing with Gharj so many times.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #470
snommism
Rookie

That's another thing about being ready for the next level, the fights are very similar and after you have done them enough times, you know what is going to happen when.

I usually go off of audio cues but BW has seemed to remove that lately which really messes me up.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #471
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I went on my first two hard mode operations last night. Takes some getting use to and I know I made some bone head mistakes, but I think it was way easier than making the jump for regular dailies and game play to story mode operations. Most of my mistakes were due to just plan stupidity mainly brought on by the lack of sleep, but were mostly covered up by having the other healer being Kusanavi and Zazz from CA being the tank. Many times I would be about to put a big heal on someone and before I got it off Kus already had them near 100%. Soa, was especially challenging since my internet decided at that point to develop a huge lag and the game sound all but disappeared. I am amazed at how important hearing has become to my ability to use my healer properly. Ĺ the time with my Shadow, I have the sound turn down and the stereo cranked up. With my smuggler, that just isn’t practical. Anyways, we survived and completed the task despite my problems.

Only embarrassing parts was the infernal council, this part has never given me a problem in normal. I usually finished before some DPS and long before anyone thought about helping me. In hard mode, it was a different story. I had to kill her twice (we wiped once because someone used an AOE (not me)) and did, but I the last one finished and I had help.

The other time I got left by the group while doing a bioanalysis scan and then in finding the group I fell in lava (again). Then when making my way back I drew aggro from a group and while I escaped out of combat, the group remained in combat, so they had to run over and kill the mob.

All in all, though I think I did better than I did in my first normal ops and I had a blast, but still have major room for improvement.

Last edited by mimartin; 05-24-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #472
snommism
Rookie

Quote:
Soa, was especially challenging since ... and the game sound all but disappeared.
Yeah, they messed up sounds in a big way. The worst is Soa and the Annihilator Droid. I've spoken to CS and they just say "we are aware and working on it."
Quote:
I am amazed at how important hearing has become to my ability to use my healer properly.
Yeah, I really don't like that they took our "you got upper hand!" sound away

Quote:
Only embarrassing parts was the infernal council, this part has never given me a problem in normal.
I have more trouble on my gunslinger on normal than I do hard Mostly because the enemy is constantly kicking me out of cover.
Not sure why, but it seems Smugglers of all flavors have the most trouble with this fight out of any class I've seen go though.

Quote:
and I had a blast
That's the important part!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #473
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Yeah, I really don't like that they took our "you got upper hand!" sound away
I was one of those that moaned about the silly school girl giggle, but now that it is gone, I really miss it.

Quote:
That's the important part!
Nope getting Rakata pants, belt and gun were the most important parts.

Last edited by mimartin; 05-24-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #474
snommism
Rookie

Quote:
I was one of those that moaned about the silly school girl giggle, but now that it is gone, I really miss it.
The part that makes me angrier that people complained about it, is that they chose to "fix" that when there are so many game breaking bugs. Before anyone claims it was a "low hanging fruit" or "easy win," it was not, there were plenty of people that either liked the sound or didn't mind it.

Quote:
Nope getting Rakata pants, belt and gun were the most important parts.
lol that definitely helps!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #475
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Went on another hard mode ops last night and the difference in the group was apparent. Great bunch of people, but nowhere near as well equipped as my last group. Last time we burned through both EV and KP with no problem, in the time it took this group to get to Soa, the last had completed both HM EV and HM KP. Pretty telling when my healer has the 3rd highest HP in the group and only 200 HP lower than the off tank. Not going to say we couldn’t complete it, but Soa got lucky that we ran out of time.

My question is: I never spent so much time in EV stuck in the mind trap, so is it random who goes into the mind trap or does it have anything to do formula that considers HP/armoring?

It is really hard to heal the group when stuck in a mind trap or being flung around the room bouncing off walls. The second is the worse, at least in a mind trap I can use diagnostic scan to build energy back up. Not sure if we were just under equipped or just had bad luck. Once I got flung around the room right as the floors dropped, so I could not get to my place before the floors dropped. Another time, I died because we took too long and I was bringing up the rear making our way down. Someone died and I used resurrect and was healing them so they would die on the next jump…just took too long. The others deaths were largely due to both healers being in mind traps too often and too long at the same time.

First time I saw this last night too. I hit a commando with a +5000 heal (with use of an adrenal), but he got no healing, he took +5000 damage at the same time. This happened twice, both times while solving the puzzle. Not sure if that was a bug or not, because I find that very hard to believe because there was nothing pounding on him at the time…the bad guy was pounding me at the time.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #476
snommism
Rookie

Quote:
My question is: I never spent so much time in EV stuck in the mind trap, so is it random who goes into the mind trap or does it have anything to do formula that considers HP/armoring?
As far as anyone knows, it is random. TECHNICALLY the tank (or person at the top of the threat list) is not supposed to get mind trapped. 99% sure that was in the "patch notes" way back (before 1.2), yet it still happens.

I don't like to blame wipes on "being unlucky" but in this fight, sometimes there is no other explanation, like if someone gets a lightning ball and then is being tossed immediately after (to then die in mid flight).

As a developer, I would think they should add some "this person just got a lightning ball, they are off the random pick list for the next effect." but what do I know.

Quote:
First time I saw this last night too. I hit a commando with a +5000 heal (with use of an adrenal), but he got no healing, he took +5000 damage at the same time. This happened twice, both times while solving the puzzle. Not sure if that was a bug or not, because I find that very hard to believe because there was nothing pounding on him at the timeÖthe bad guy was pounding me at the time.
My guess is a "bug," haven't seen this one before.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #477
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
As far as anyone knows, it is random. TECHNICALLY the tank (or person at the top of the threat list) is not supposed to get mind trapped. 99% sure that was in the "patch notes" way back (before 1.2), yet it still happens.
Our group can testify that the tank does get mind trapped. Our tank got mind trapped last night just as he was getting Soa in position.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #478
snommism
Rookie

Yeah, I meant to say that they do even when not supposed to. Probably meant to write "TECHNICALLY the tank is not supposed to get mind trapped but still does." but I got myself hung up on trying to remember when it was that they "fixed" that.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #479
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Knew what you meant, was just agreeing with you.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #480
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

What is your greatest The Old Republic Moment?

Mine was tonight, kind of happened in one of my failures, but who cares. We were doing HM Eternity Vault, really good run up until SOA. My smuggler even was fairly quick in downing the boss in the infernal council. Was about the 5th or 6th one finished, which I consider really good for a smuggler healer.

Got to SOA feeling really confident in the group one shot him, but we wiped two are three times… Not really sure why, we missed some ancient power sources (not likely with this group) or a bug (my general thought), any ways was starting to think here we go again. Anyways we finally got things going well on our last run, but someone fell on the way down to the final fight with SOA… then we got a little bad luck with lighting ball and the mind trap, still we were making good progress with DPS and the tank was doing a very good job. Then towards the last 10% they yelled everyone DPS, knowing we were down a person I put an all out effort into my DPS skills (or lack thereof). Problem here is it cost me a bunch of energy in the process, I was hoping he would die, but he got back his shield with 2 or 3 percent HP left, so we had to get him under 1 more Pillar. Now the tank was in dire need of a heal, my energy is gone so I get to work healing him as best I could, but I messed up and threw out the big life saving heal just as the tank died. The offtank was already dead. Pretty sure he was the one that fell at the start of stage 3. It just so happened that the big heal I thrown out as the tank died put the agro on my little healer and I heard the yell to get him under the last pillar. Now as a healer I have never even seen the pillars except when they fell on me or someone that I was healing. In a fight my eyes are pretty glued to the ops health bars. I guess they figured this out and yell for me to get him to the center of the room. I threw out some heals to DPS as I kited him toward the center. Pretty much knew I was done for, but wanted to give them the best chance possible to finish him off. The smugglers moving heals are not that great, but I managed a couple and then died at the center of the room as the pillar knocked down SOA final shield. The DPS mowed him down rather quickly. So all ended perfectly and normally, I’m not sure Brem has ever finished that fight on her feet except in a mindtrap… However, I felt pretty good that I didn’t panic with him chasing me and either jump out of combat or surrender. Most likely looked like a idiot running around in circles trying to see the pillar, but I am rather proud that we got it done.

I’m signing Brem up to be off tank in the next HM ops.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-22-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > The Old Republic for Dummies