lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Prometheus
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Prometheus

Went to see it last week it is very very good, best sci-fi film I have seen in cinemas in a looong time! It had a very 2001: A Space Odyssey feel to it and also David (played by Michael Fassbender) really reminds me of the character R. Daneel Olivaw from Isaac Asimov's books. A must see for any classic sci-fi fan

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Haven't seen it myself, heard from friends that it's "different". Not sure what to make of that since in my past experiences different has always been black or white; you love it or hate it.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'll be seeing it soon, can't wait to see if Ridley still has it.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Heard it wasn't great but still quite good.

I'll probably be seeing it this weekend.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Still have to see it, hopefully this friday. I've been warned not to expect another The 8th passenger and I'd be okay. But I never did. Would be madness to have such high expectations, but yeah, I've heard it's pretty good and I trust it is.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Prometheus has issues and plot holes so large you can steer a Death Star through them. Not a fan of it, unfortunately.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
Plot holes so large you can steer a Death Star through them.
This is exactly how the Aliens and/or Predator fanbase sees it.

To be honest, I have no urge to see it.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread

Last edited by LDR; 06-25-2012 at 07:20 PM.
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Well Ridley has basically retconned out the entire AvP connection, not that anyone should be complaining about that.

Plus, even though I haven't seen it yet, I know folks are saying it looks like this is only the start and there will most likely be a sequel.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
Prometheus has issues and plot holes so large you can steer a Death Star through them. Not a fan of it, unfortunately.
On the flip side, I've heard this, too. The fact that it was written by the same guy who was responsible for the final season and series finale of Lost is not particularly encouraging.

I'll be seeing it anyway, though.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Saw it yesterday.

It was my first movie of the Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator franchise, and in that regard, I probably should have watched Alien or something before seeing Prometheus, but I knew nothing about Prometheus when I went to see it.

Show spoiler

I liked Noomi Rapace's performance as Dr. Shaw, and Michael Fassbender's as David.
It's your run of the mill scientific-expedition-gone-wrong story, but I liked it. Will certainly go to see a sequel if one is released.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.

Last edited by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan; 06-13-2012 at 05:14 AM.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I can't understand how there are people on this planet that haven't seen Alien (or Predator, though really I'd rather these two series stay separate)... it just shouldn't be possible once you reach a certain age

Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I can't understand how there are people on this planet that haven't seen Alien (or Predator, though really I'd rather these two series stay separate)... it just shouldn't be possible once you reach a certain age
Ehh. It was in the lower third of my mental 'to-watch' list, which basically means 'watch it if you happen to come across it'.

I hadn't come across the franchise, till now. (though I vaguely remember seeing bits of Predator in 2007, and a teeny bit of AvP before that)

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Don't bother with AvP... we all pretend it doesn't exist.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Saw it last night and enjoyed it very much. Becoming a big fan of Michael Fassbender. Saw him in X-Men:First class and loved that performance also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
Saw it yesterday.

It was my first movie of the Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator franchise, and in that regard, I probably should have watched Alien or something before seeing Prometheus, but I knew nothing about Prometheus when I went to see it.

Show spoiler

I liked Noomi Rapace's performance as Dr. Shaw, and Michael Fassbender's as David.
It's your run of the mill scientific-expedition-gone-wrong story, but I liked it. Will certainly go to see a sequel if one is released.
Show spoiler

Quote:
Well Ridley has basically retconned out the entire AvP connection, not that anyone should be complaining about that.

Plus, even though I haven't seen it yet, I know folks are saying it looks like this is only the start and there will most likely be a sequel.
I saw the first AVP on cable. It wasn't great but it was interesting and entertaining. I wouldn't of paid movie prices to watch it but I liked it well enough. I treat it as a completely separate entity from the rest of the Alien franchise.

Edit: Forgot this bit,
Quote:
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Last edited by deathdisco; 06-13-2012 at 01:32 PM.
deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Is AvP actually a part of Alien canon?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Is AvP actually a part of Alien canon?
Nope, It's just Alien and Aliens. Not exactly sure if the third one is even recognized by Ridley

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdisco View Post
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
I haven't seen it but apparently their marketing has been damned effective on me since my entire dream last night was about it. We won by the way, my shopping mall that somehow turned into a derelict capital ship in one of my most bizarre dream transitions ever managed to survive its first encounter with the aliens aboard the Prometheus and return home to rally reinforcements. The highlight of my dream movie thing was the fact that apparently beer bottles were acceptable ammunition for my ship's one single cannon, which happened to be a hole in the side of the ship that I kicked things through to shoot them.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Q
The one who knocks

Damn. I wanna have your dreams.

-Toker
Old 06-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Alien vs Predator never happened.

Still the best sci-fi/horror I've seen in a long time...

Show spoiler

Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I very much enjoyed watching it. The story was ultimately utter trash due to the overwhelming size and complexity of the undulating mass of plot holes that ended up being the real monster in this flick.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
Q
The one who knocks

So it's still worth catching a matinee; just don't think about it too much?

Sounds like just about every movie that's come out in the last 5 10 15 years. Oh, well. :\

-Toker
Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I HATED it;

Firstly the good; the Visuals are absolutely stunning, the first hour of the film is pretty decent.

The bad;
spoiler:
firstly why on earth was Giger not tasked with coming up with creature designs for the new "monsters" in this film? The monsters look utter trash. The plot frankly, I could of done a better job of in 5 minutes. However none of that hides my main gripe. The Space Jockey - it's like Ridley had now clue as to what made it cool; it was foreign and unknowable; it would have been much better to have just to seen the in suits and have no idea what they look like. I'm afraid in J7's Alien universe, Prometheus, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, AvP and AvP2 DO NOT EXIST!

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Ahahaha, this Captain's Log is a great read.

Also, below is a GIF that walks you through the entire story of Prometheus.

Show spoiler
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
What's funny is that I "knew" this was related to Alien before even looking it up

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #27
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@j7: I agree that having Giger involved would've been awesome, but they were trying to come up with different and Giger's works revolve around the same concepts.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #28
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
This is exactly how the Aliens and/or Predator fanbase sees it.
Had to clear something up: I don't see myself part of that AVP fan base, I tend to think of AVP as non-canon myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Firstly the good; the Visuals are absolutely stunning
The visuals are stunning. It's too bad they had to rip off the Prometheus ship design from the ship from/that is Firefly. Doubling the engines doesn't make it less of a rip-off.

Michael Fassbender's performance is impressive. If they ever do a Peter O'Toole biopic, I think we've got the perfect casting available!

I'll give the movie that much.

No real H.R. Giger designs? Lame.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

So I FINALLY saw it.

And... it was great... I mean, I took it as it was and unlike a lot of people around the net, I'm not asking too many questions and trying to dissect every little bit of it to try to make sense of every single frame.

That said... I don't like the way it ended... Why? Because they could've easily tied it into a neat bow and said "this is where it starts for Alien"... instead they're saying "wait for Prometheus 2"... which is stupid.

What they should have done:
spoiler:
The setting shouldn't have been a moon designated LV-223, it should have been the planetoid designated LV-426 from the original Alien movie.

Fpr the epilogue, instead of the engineer simply dying as the proto-facehugger implanted him, he should have woken up during the epilogue, crawled his way back to the pilot chair of his ship, got back into his space suit and tried to initiate the medical scan or something, but before he can the chestburster happens and he dies as you see his corpse in Alien with the queen being born right there on the ship.

If those two things were different about this movie then it would pretty much be able to be tied directly to Alien and Prometheus would be an awesome stand-alone prequel setup to Alien.

However, that's not how it happens in the movie... and that makes me sad.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #30
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
It's not a prequel to Alien Lynk...

Ridley wanted it to have a few strands of "Alien DNA" but that it could stand on its own. Most likely there's going to be at least one sequel.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #31
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I know it's not a prequel to Alien, that was my point. It should have been and even so it could still stand on its own because all they needed to do to have the movie stand on its own but still be a prequel to Alien were those two changes I mentioned in my spoiler tags. They can make Prometheus 2 if they want to, but if this movie had've set up the events that lead up to Alien then they could've freely explored the other aspects the movie introduced in its sequel and make it run parallel to the events that affect the Nostromo years later.

It's a huge missed opportunity because now everyone is going to expect things to be tied in a neat little bow in the sequel which will end up hurting that sequel more than it helps. If they had done it with this movie, said "okay, there's the connection with Alien, but if we make a sequel it will explore new and unknown territory" that would've been awesome. But they didn't, so now it's just going to get overly complicated and peoples expectations will be screwed with.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #32
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
Ahahaha, this Captain's Log is a great read.

Also, below is a GIF that walks you through the entire story of Prometheus.

Show spoiler

-Toker
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
So I FINALLY saw it.

And... it was great... I mean, I took it as it was and unlike a lot of people around the net, I'm not asking too many questions and trying to dissect every little bit of it to try to make sense of every single frame.

That said... I don't like the way it ended... Why? Because they could've easily tied it into a neat bow and said "this is where it starts for Alien"... instead they're saying "wait for Prometheus 2"... which is stupid.

What they should have done:
spoiler:
The setting shouldn't have been a moon designated LV-223, it should have been the planetoid designated LV-426 from the original Alien movie.

Fpr the epilogue, instead of the engineer simply dying as the proto-facehugger implanted him, he should have woken up during the epilogue, crawled his way back to the pilot chair of his ship, got back into his space suit and tried to initiate the medical scan or something, but before he can the chestburster happens and he dies as you see his corpse in Alien with the queen being born right there on the ship.

If those two things were different about this movie then it would pretty much be able to be tied directly to Alien and Prometheus would be an awesome stand-alone prequel setup to Alien.

However, that's not how it happens in the movie... and that makes me sad.
Cool ideas Lynk I'm glad you liked it.

spoiler:
I'm hoping a sequel will maybe be taken to LV-426 it would be cool because it's definitely wide open at the end.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun View Post
Cool ideas Lynk I'm glad you liked it.

spoiler:
I'm hoping a sequel will maybe be taken to LV-426 it would be cool because it's definitely wide open at the end.
Yeah, and that's exactly the problem I was talking about. It's too open at the end in terms of Alien. If they tied the loose ends then they could've just said "that's how the story ties into Alien with the Xenomorphs, but from now on we're dealing with this other untold story about the Space Jockey species that will take us into a whole new direction.

They could have done this and made a much more clear distinction between the two series that are set in the same universe instead of constantly having to keep up with peoples expectations of "how does this fit into what we know about the Xenomorphs?"

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Prometheus