lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [KOTOR 1] Stops in the middle of "saving" while changing levels in Korriban
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
photon_man62
Lurker

[KOTOR 1] Stops in the middle of "saving" while changing levels in Korriban

Lately, KOTOR has been having problems with changing levels in Korriban. I've noticed this the first time in the Sith Academy, where I could not exit it though the entrance to Dreshdae (exact same thing happened, freezes at exactly the same place). All I did to "fix this" was ignore that exit and just use the other one.

I am now at the Tomb of Naga Sadow, where I have completed my final test and all I can do now is leave. But when I try to, the game also freezes when loading the level. It says "saving" and just stops in about 1/4 through. It doesn't freeze per se - the game doesn't stop responding or anything - the sound is still there and pressing ALT-F4 makes the "do you want to quit?" menu pop up (clickable).

I have tried playing with my graphics settings, using the ATI .dll fix, the ATI kotor.ini fix, running the game in not-widescreen, restarting the game and computer multiple times, none of it helped. I thought disabling autosaving as well (that seemed obvious), but it still keeps "saving" while changing levels!

Here's my "scan hardware" dump (I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64):
Show spoiler

Last edited by photon_man62; 04-07-2012 at 05:24 AM.
photon_man62 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Thanks for posting your specs.

Normally I would suggest reinstalling the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread, but that might render your saves unusable at this point.

Your error may very well be due to KotOR not playing nice with your multi-core CPU, and here's the fix for that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
It's possible to alter your shortcut to automatically launch an application with the affinity you want.

The command I have in my target box of the shortcut is:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "C:\Users\Public\Games\SWKotoR" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Users\Public\Games\SWKotoR\swkotor.exe"

Obviously you'd replace the directory I have my swkotor.exe file in with the one yours is in in both places in the above line.

So it's a shortcut to the cmd.exe that launches what follows as a command. The command actually being executed is the start command, and the start command is what allows you to pick what CPU(s) to use for executing the game. The affinity integer is a bit flag, with the least significant bit representing the first CPU and going up from there.

You need to run this shortcut as administrator as well.

The actual game executables will run in compatability mode/as administrator since you should have set those properties already if you followed the steps outlined in the second post.

Since it's a shortcut to the cmd.exe, the icon will be for cmd.exe. To change it to the swkotor icon you just open the properties for the shortcut, click on the change icon button, and browse to your swkotor.exe and select the icon to change it.

Obviously this will work for any old game that doesn't work well on multiple cores.
Of course, you would substitute your game directory for the one in the instructions, so in your case the target would look like this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "D:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic" /high /affinity 1 "D:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic\swkotor.exe"

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
photon_man62
Lurker

I of course reinstalled the game (forgot to mention that), just didn't use those instructions (I also didn't use them the first time). SecuROM updated .exe files also don't fix it. I tried your shortcut trick, but it didn't help either.

I also just recorded a short video showcasing exactly what is happening, hope it helps:
http://youtu.be/zK8mTt7TH3M

Note that as soon as the problem occurs, my cursor appears (while during normal saving/loading it is hidden).

Last edited by photon_man62; 04-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
photon_man62
Lurker

I've also tried installing KOTOR on another PC. No dice, problem persists. I even used another version of KOTOR (4CD instead of 1DVD) - problem is not in the installation media either. Damn, this is quite a problem.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
At this point I would try reinstalling while following the instructions I linked to.

You've really got nothing to lose.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > [KOTOR 1] Stops in the middle of "saving" while changing levels in Korriban