lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Wars 1313
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #161
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
In which rulebook does it say you have to stick that kind of thing in RPGs only? If it were put in, you could just push start to use the generic space marine dude or you can not push start and instead go down to the option that lets you customise stuff and allow you to add your personal touch to the game even if it's just cosmetic.

Of course, in doing so it can change the game entirely for a lot of people because they now have a much deeper ownership of their character which can make the events of the game much better for a lot of people even if there really isn't any variation or choice in it.

Of course, I'm sure LucasArts isn't doing any of this so you can be comfortable with a much more generic Uncharted Star Wars edition

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #162
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
In which rulebook does it say you have to stick that kind of thing in RPGs only?
No rule; it just doesn't seem like a logical idea. I mean, why devote time and resources into a highly customizable player character creation process to the ends of promoting player immersion through sense of ownership, if the rest of your game doesn't follow the same principle?
It'd be like creating characters for a drama, and then switching the story to a comedy after the first act.

Well, I mean, I guess that would work if this was some intentional move in an arthouse film or something, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing 1313 is aiming to be, you know? It's like, Hollywood, rather than Sundance. Player experiences and their structures are formulaic and intensive, rather than creative and subtle. Experimenting with them is too risky, and better left to small/Indie projects.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #163
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
This game looks like just another cover-based shooter.

And that, my friends, is what 1313 is aiming to be.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #164
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ jigos: I know, that's the point I was trying to make... besides, games that blur the genre lines exist quite frequently outside of indie developer portfolios or arthouse films... that's the point you seem to be missing.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #165
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
This game looks like just another cover-based shooter.

And that, my friends, is what 1313 is aiming to be.
Ah is it supposed to be like Doom? >_>

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #166
Kr1ffing_Br1lliant
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
No rule; it just doesn't seem like a logical idea. I mean, why devote time and resources into a highly customizable player character creation process to the ends of promoting player immersion through sense of ownership, if the rest of your game doesn't follow the same principle?
It'd be like creating characters for a drama, and then switching the story to a comedy after the first act.

Well, I mean, I guess that would work if this was some intentional move in an arthouse film or something, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing 1313 is aiming to be, you know? It's like, Hollywood, rather than Sundance. Player experiences and their structures are formulaic and intensive, rather than creative and subtle. Experimenting with them is too risky, and better left to small/Indie projects.
Yet KOTOR was a huge "risk" in its experimental approach to mixing the Turn- Based RPG basis with a narrative and making it all go down in a Third-Person perspective. Battlefront was totally different than any other Star Wars properties as it focused on the perspective of the soldiers fighting all of the movie hero's battles, but it was highly successful. Republic Commando carried the same concept, but applied squad-tactics into the gameplay (also rather untested with the Star Wars license) I could name many more "risky" properties, but the point is that nearly all, if not all of the classic Star Wars "hits" were severely risky, but they paid off.

I think it would be more in this game's benefit if they were to try something different for a change and implement something players can connect with and differentiate it from the Uncharted games it is heavily derived from; and since when has the Lucasarts license followed currently popular games, thusly copied them, and made anything fans actually wanted?
Kr1ffing_Br1lliant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #167
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
Ah is it supposed to be like Doom? >_>
That would be sweet!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #168
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I thought Dark Forces was meant to be like Doom.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #169
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Quote:
And I knew the words above me would follow.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #170
Kr1ffing_Br1lliant
Rookie

Quote:
To quote Wikipedia:
Unlike many other Doom-based games, Dark Forces attempted a realistic approach: The missions followed a certain storyline, sometimes interrupted by videos to progress the tale. Each mission had its own briefing and objective. The levels were designed to represent actual bases, mines, facilities, and other known places from the Star Wars universe, like Star Destroyer interiors, Jabba's ship, Coruscant, etc.

Still not a full-on clone.

Edit:

Also apparently the Jedi game engine actually expounded on the doom engine's designs and added more capabilities such-as "room-within-room buildings which weren't present in doom or its copies. Dark Forces also relied heavily on puzzle solving which would have been risky if you consider the attention-span of doom shooters.

Edit:

And if I learned how to read context better I would see you're talking about Dark Forces having already covering the "Doom" angle...sorry bout that diatribe there...

Last edited by Kr1ffing_Br1lliant; 08-16-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #171
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
@ jigos: I know, that's the point I was trying to make... besides, games that blur the genre lines exist quite frequently outside of indie developer portfolios or arthouse films... that's the point you seem to be missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr1ffing_Br1lliant View Post
Yet KOTOR was a huge "risk" in its experimental approach to mixing the Turn- Based RPG basis with a narrative and making it all go down in a Third-Person perspective. Battlefront was totally different than any other Star Wars properties as it focused on the perspective of the soldiers fighting all of the movie hero's battles, but it was highly successful. Republic Commando carried the same concept, but applied squad-tactics into the gameplay (also rather untested with the Star Wars license) I could name many more "risky" properties, but the point is that nearly all, if not all of the classic Star Wars "hits" were severely risky, but they paid off.

I think it would be more in this game's benefit if they were to try something different for a change and implement something players can connect with and differentiate it from the Uncharted games it is heavily derived from; and since when has the Lucasarts license followed currently popular games, thusly copied them, and made anything fans actually wanted?
Hnn, you guys might be right. I suppose when i think 'risky' I'm thinking wildly different gameplay mechanic structures, rather than a certain few experimental elements.

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #172
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@Kr1ffing_Br1lliant: So the lesson learned today is "don't take everything so literally"...

@ jigos: Customisable characters isn't such a huge gameplay mechanic... at the very .least 1313 would be really nice if it included the option to have your character be female, you know, for folks who don't want to keep playing another gruff space marine.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #173
Kr1ffing_Br1lliant
Rookie

Quote:
@Kr1ffing_Br1lliant: So the lesson learned today is "don't take everything so literally"...
Indeed...

Quote:
... at the very .least 1313 would be really nice if it included the option to have your character be female, you know, for folks who don't want to keep playing another gruff space marine.
..Or in this case, a wiry teen smuggler.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #174
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
mechanic... at the very .least 1313 would be really nice if it included the option to have your character be female, you know, for folks who don't want to keep playing another gruff space marine.
Are you implying that females can't be gruff space marines? Wait till I sic the feminist police on you!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #175
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

It would be nice to play as a female as well as a different species! Too many Star Wars/sci-fi games need to have more than human player characters all the time...
Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #176
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Not sure if you people already saw the latest concept art for 1313: here. If they can reproduce that in-game, this game will look amazing. Look at that R2 unit being used for a hobo fire.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #177
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ sabre: Of course not But then why would our female friends want to follow such masculine archetypes? Aren't they trying to move away from the whole patriarchal system where every man is a rapist and women are violated if you look at them?

Also, Vasquez.

@ GeneralPloKoon: Too true, playing as another species would be a lot of fun. Hell, they could just do what TOR does and change only a few necessary conversations and such in the game accordingly to fit your different sex/species, not so difficult, especially if the game lacks conversion choices. It would make it a lot more interesting though.

@ Milt: Sadly, the only games that end up close to matching their concept art works are the ones with wacky art styles and not the ones that go more toward the realism side of things...

Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #178
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Oh yea that's right

Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #179
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'm hoping it is actually in the OT era.

If the main character was Kyle Katarn I would buy 8 copies.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #180
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Only 8? What, did Kyle have sex with your significant other? Why the hate?
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #181
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I want the main to be Jan Ors. Way cooler than Kyle.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #182
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
@ adamq: Brilliant, I actually hadn't thought along those lines at all... if they make the main character of 1313 a generic template you simply use to create your own character just like in Mass Effect and other RPGs... it would be pretty sweet.
The only downside with ME's face creator is that they all were just... blech... (ME3 fixed it kind of though)

I am cautiously interested in seeing how this will play out, I'm thinking world around would be similar to that of Deus-Ex:HR from the looks of the trailer and combat that resembles a mix of Mass Effect 2/3 and DeadSpace.

Hopefully this could be a redemption for LA, but for all we know they could pull a TSL and cut production time for Christmas rush
Bob Saget is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #183
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

ME's face creator was pretty damn good It's just a lot of people sucked at making faces with it.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #184
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

it is not a cry of joy.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #185
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
ME's face creator was pretty damn good It's just a lot of people sucked at making faces with it.
Such as JIGOS?

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #186
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
I'm not saying the tool itself was bad, it was just hard to get a right combination :P. But yeah, you're right about that.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #187
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
So LA is developing this in-house.

Could it be because no self-respecting developer will work with them?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #188
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
So LA is developing this in-house.

Could it be because no self-respecting developer will work with them?
Given their track record over the past seven years or so, I'd say yes.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #189
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
View page
YouTube Video

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #190
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
Something looks very off about this guy....

Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #191
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Well, from CVI they've confirmed that:

- It will come to PC
- There will be DLC (unless there is a complete retail version of the game, I find it to be a downer)
- No multiplayer or co-op
- No side-quests
- Linear game although with explorable open areas (instead of corridor style maps)
- The game will last around 9 hours (similar to the first The Force Unleashed game)
- Timeline closer to A New Hope than Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #192
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post

- It will come to PC
- There will be DLC (unless there is a complete retail version of the game, I find it to be a downer)
- No side-quests
- Linear game although with explorable open areas (instead of corridor style maps)
- The game will last around 9 hours (similar to the first The Force Unleashed game)
:V Only 9 hours? Jeez, why is Lucas trying to make campaigns as short as CoD 4 was?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #193
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post

- It will come to PC
- No side-quests
This is pretty much what I figured about the game to begin with XD

Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #194
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
Only 8? What, did Kyle have sex with your significant other? Why the hate?
He sleeps with my Jan. So...yes.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #195
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Also, noticed on a newsstand the latest issue of the official Xbox magazine, and it had a sticker on the cover announcing Star Wars 1313 details inside. I guess it will be a current generation title after all.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #196
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Well yeah, like I said before, if it's 720p (or 720 upscaled to 1080p) then everything shown on the PC demo is possible on current gen consoles... oh and Wii U.

The only real reason the PC demo wowed people was because it was crisp and because the effects were used extremely well. There's no denying that having a moving platform with a moving background with some atmospheric effects and fire, smoke, etc does look pretty damn awesome... but also stuff I've already seen with Uncharted 2 and 3

Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #197
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Well yeah, like I said before, if it's 720p (or 720 upscaled to 1080p) then everything shown on the PC demo is possible on current gen consoles... oh and Wii U.
What was shown on the PC demo was the PC version of the game (they are running it on a high-end PC), which has higher screen resolutions, high-res textures and added effects that will eventually be removed/downgraded for the console versions.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #198
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I know, that's what I've been saying for the entire thread. All they need to do is lower the resolution, though with the effects, the same results will be there, just using different methods. It'll be just like every other game that's been released in the last few years for PC and PS3/360.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #199
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
I know, that's what I've been saying for the entire thread.
Oh, sorry. Misread your post.

Although that it comes for this generation is my assumption only.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #200
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I'm sure LucasArts could release it for current gen consoles and Wii U and then do a cash grab and release a "special edition" version for the next gen consoles. Easy money.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Star Wars 1313