lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [K1] Revan's Canonical Jedi Lightsaber (TOR Spoilers)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #41
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Here's a little tutorial I just wrote on the subject of converting hilts between games if anyone wants to convert this hilt themselvess:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.ph...67#post2820667

All you need is MDLOps and KotOR Tool.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #42
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I have been really busy. Have not even been able to look at my modding stuff. I can get it done monday unless something big comes up.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #43
Qui-Don Jorn

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! 
Hey its cool,, dont worry about it. I was able to do it and will release it pretty soon.
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #44
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
Ok, here's the link. Thanks SH.

Valorous Knight's Saber K1
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #45
JediRevan001
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR 1 and KotOR 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuai-Donn Jorn View Post
Ok, here's the link. Thanks SH.

Valorous Knight's Saber K1
Thank you very much!

I love you too, with all of my heart.
Your aren't afraid to love any more?
After this? No. Nothing could make me feel safer than to be loved by you.
-Bastila Shan and Revan
JediRevan001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
Forceboat

I second that. Thank you!
Forceboat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #47
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Nice going with that saber, good solid proportions, albeit a bit long. I made a low-poly model of that hilt myself just a week ago, but i only finished rigging it today. (that's how lazy I am). Here's a render + screenshot.

I'm more of a '3d fabricator' than a '3d modeller', meaning I prefer to construct things from reference, blueprints or schematics rather than to design stuff of my own.
SimonKTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #48
Forceboat

So why not release yours as well? It looks good to me!
Forceboat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #49
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKTemplar View Post
Nice going with that saber, good solid proportions, albeit a bit long. I made a low-poly model of that hilt myself just a week ago, but i only finished rigging it today. (that's how lazy I am). Here's a render + screenshot.

Long?? No actually it's still too short.
But yeah, why dont you upload that so everyone can get it to replace mine!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #50
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
why dont you upload that so everyone can get it to replace mine!
I won't upload it because I'm working to make it a part of a larger project -- an equipment visual overhaul. But when I do finish it, the player will be able to get the crystal with which this saber is constructed from master Dorak on Dantooine (instead of getting a generic crystal and constructing a generic saber)

I'm more of a '3d fabricator' than a '3d modeller', meaning I prefer to construct things from reference, blueprints or schematics rather than to design stuff of my own.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #51
Shaggoth

can this one be put somewhere to dantooine? place there some "apprentice" with it :} or make it more powerfull and put it in forbidden world, so like it's more close to story

[ about.me ]
Shaggoth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #52
Christos K
Forumite

Finding Revan's genuine Saber on Rakata Prime would make sense if one of the elders or the One give you the saber and a multitude of it's crystals to go with it. Returning a gift or something.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #53
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos K View Post
Finding Revan's genuine Saber on Rakata Prime would make sense if one of the elders or the One give you the saber and a multitude of it's crystals to go with it. Returning a gift or something.
This would assume that canonically Revan gave his original lightsaber to either party, which he didn't by any known source. Revan kept his original hilt (link) well after his original visit to Lehon (Rakata Prime), and presumably kept it with him right up until the moment Malak fired upon his ship and incapacitated him. Wookieepedia suggests Revan crafted the hilt mentioned above after he was restored to the force by the Enclave on Dantooine, making that a far more meaningful location for the thing to appear. Additionally, adding attack bonuses and a restriction to the Force Sensitive feat would mean that only the player character can use it, and is more proficient with it than with other lightsabers.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #54
Christos K
Forumite

That would work too.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #55
Shaggoth

what? assuming?

SimonKTemplar
still, there should be a way, do you have some suggestions?

[ about.me ]
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #56
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggoth View Post
what? assuming?

SimonKTemplar
still, there should be a way, do you have some suggestions?
Better then to just make the crystals that would fit the same hilt, possibly cyan/orange... get the cyan one from the elders (light side) and the orange one from the black tribe. I might do this myself eventually. One thing at a time please

Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #57
Shaggoth

sounds good for me

[ about.me ]
Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #58
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Quote:
Additionally, adding attack bonuses and a restriction to the Force Sensitive feat would mean that only the player character can use it, and is more proficient with it than with other lightsabers.
Not exactly. While gaining any of the Jedi Classes does give the Force Sensitive feat, the other Jedi members also have it as well(which means that any of the Jedi in the party can use it). Without it, the game does NOT allow using force powers. Though it never really happens for the characters in K1(as no other then the player gets an additional class), it does for some of the party in TSL. Along side getting the Jedi class, the character still cannot use force powers, until they gain one more level, which gives the Force Sensitive feat.

The only problem, is that the player does not really gain any specific feats, unlike some of the Party. If one wanted a Saber for Bastila, or Juhani, then the saber could require either Battle Meditation, or Force Camouflage, respectively. Also, since the game doesn't have the PC Restriction Property like TSL does, it cannot be restricted by character alone.

That aside, I like these models. Are you planning to do a custom model for each character, or just a certain few?

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #59
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

You have a good point on the Force Sensitivity bit, Rtas. I did not notice that before (and I do find it a bit frustrating, since I was really hoping I could restrict it to the player character only).

I was hoping to make unique hilts for every major Jedi/Sith character since I believe that the hilt is a reflection on the Jedi's personal craftsmanship and design (not to mention ergonomics, etc.) but it turns out that there isn't a lot of data regarding the personal lightsabers of several characters, notably Jolee, Juhani and Darth Bandon. I did see that there were unique lightsabers in SWTOR that apparently belonged to Jolee and Bandon respectively, however I do not know if the hilts they use are unique as well, or are simply one of several standard hilt styles, and that you can find other lightsabers with said hilts. As for Juhani, sadly, there is absolutely no data on any canonical hilt whatsoever. There are several pictures of Juhani and they all show her with a different lightsaber, so there's no established canon on that right now.
I only played the trial version of SWTOR and the game isn't f2p yet, so I won't know for sure whether the hilts aforementioned are unique or generic until i get the full thing.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #60
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
Quote:
You have a good point on the Force Sensitivity bit, Rtas. I did not notice that before (and I do find it a bit frustrating, since I was really hoping I could restrict it to the player character only).

I was hoping to make unique hilts for every major Jedi/Sith character since I believe that the hilt is a reflection on the Jedi's personal craftsmanship and design (not to mention ergonomics, etc.) but it turns out that there isn't a lot of data regarding the personal lightsabers of several characters, notably Jolee, Juhani and Darth Bandon. I did see that there were unique lightsabers in SWTOR that apparently belonged to Jolee and Bandon respectively, however I do not know if the hilts they use are unique as well, or are simply one of several standard hilt styles, and that you can find other lightsabers with said hilts. As for Juhani, sadly, there is absolutely no data on any canonical hilt whatsoever. There are several pictures of Juhani and they all show her with a different lightsaber, so there's no established canon on that right now.
I only played the trial version of SWTOR and the game isn't f2p yet, so I won't know for sure whether the hilts aforementioned are unique or generic until i get the full thing.
I can tell you with a pretty high level of confidence that - no, lightsabers in TOR are not unique. Meaning - the same hilt model might have ten different names, blade colors, lvl/stats ..etc etc.
4 or 5 months back I remember seeing this particular Revan hilt we're talking about as "Valorous Knight's Lightsaber" with an orange blade which is why I named my version as such. And I think it's in the Knights class video on TOR's website.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #61
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Arrow

Quote:
I can tell you with a pretty high level of confidence that - no, lightsabers in TOR are not unique. Meaning - the same hilt model might have ten different names, blade colors, lvl/stats ..etc etc.
4 or 5 months back I remember seeing this particular Revan hilt we're talking about as "Valorous Knight's Lightsaber" with an orange blade which is why I named my version as such. And I think it's in the Knights class video on TOR's website.
I figured as much; still - this particular hilt was labeled as Revan's by canon sources so even that counts as something. Now to a lot of you here that might not mean much, but another good idea would be to take some of the generic hilts from TOR that have been otherwise labeled as belonging to someone specific, and change them only slightly so that they're more unique.

You'll know what I mean when I make Bandon's hilt in a few days, now that I've been armed with the information you've provided me with and this 'brilliant idea'

Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #62
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
Quote:
I figured as much; still - this particular hilt was labeled as Revan's by canon sources so even that counts as something. Now to a lot of you here that might not mean much, but another good idea would be to take some of the generic hilts from TOR that have been otherwise labeled as belonging to someone specific, and change them only slightly so that they're more unique.

You'll know what I mean when I make Bandon's hilt in a few days, now that I've been armed with the information you've provided me with and this 'brilliant idea'
By any chance is that canon source called 'Wookiepedia"?
But yeah, that's cool, man. You could just pick a random hilt that looks cool - model it, label it "Bandon's lightsaber" and call it "canon". Then, just maybe it'll become canon eh?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #63
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
By any chance is that canon source called 'Wookiepedia"?
But yeah, that's cool, man. You could just pick a random hilt that looks cool - model it, label it "Bandon's lightsaber" and call it "canon". Then, just maybe it'll become canon eh?
Wookieepedia isn't the source, it's a reference TO the source. And there are several images, if i recall correctly that point to Revan using a hilt just like the one i made. Aside from that, I found a screenshot of the actual item (Bandon's saber), which does use a generic double-bladed hilt (boo to bioware, being so generic since Neverwinter Nights). I took that hilt, made it a bit more unique (to separate it from the generic batch), and gave it a name. Might not be officially canon...

...but here is a way to actually MAKE it canon:
Step one - write a graphic novel. Graphic novels are best because you can actually see the damn thing.
Step two - go to Dark Horse comics and ask for copyright permissions from George Lucas.
Step three - pay a hefty sum for those rights, get the review of a critic, and with some luck, get your novel published.
Step four - Your material is now canon. Until of course, George Lucas himself decides to make material where your canon is trumped/overriden. In which case, you're screwed. (Clone Wars tv series is a perfect example of this happening)

This at least, is how I seem to see it. And how I got the impression a lot of silly stuff in the expanded universe got called canon. Paul S. Kemp and time travel in Star Wars? No problem! As long as you have the money.

But back to topic, if Revan is indeed seen wielding that hilt in TOR, then I'll assume that's the same saber he used since his retraining on Dantooine, which, as I've mentioned, is mentioned on WP and backed by sources. It's kinda like science really. Until someone comes up with something unique and the guys in charge of canonical content proclaimed that is canon, then this lightsaber hilt will remain Revan's hilt. At least in my eyes, since i prefer there being ONE established canon, and not fifty established canons like in the DC universe, where the same characters are depicted in 50 different variations by 50 different artists, and every single one of them is called canon.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #64
Qui-Don Jorn

Helpful! 
Cool man. Yeah I was thinking of spending a little more time on that one hilt and fixing the texture around the middle part. It seems my patience with creative things is wearing pretty thin these days.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Modding requests > [K1] Revan's Canonical Jedi Lightsaber (TOR Spoilers)