lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: SimonK's WIPs
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic
SimonK's WIPs

So recently, I've been working on a bunch of models and I'm so far enjoying myself (always did find this weird pleasure in modeling firearms and lightsaber hilts), so I'd like to show you some of my progress, get a little feedback, perhaps some suggestions, and hopefully, some assistance if any issues should arise (and some have already arisen).

First up are my finished models with the textures done 100%:

Revan's 'padawan' Lightsaber hilt (info below)
Show spoiler

Malak's canonical lightsaber hilt
Show spoiler

Next up are my finished models, but with no textures as of yet (I'm working on some of them now. I do always prefer to make all the models i've intended first, then texture them):

Standard blaster pistol
Show spoiler

Standard blaster rifle
Show spoiler

Mandalorian Assault Rifle
Show spoiler

Carth's Blaster
Show spoiler

Bendak's Blaster
Show spoiler

Standard Heavy Blaster
Show spoiler

More coming soon. Do feel free to add feedback.

I'm more of a '3d fabricator' than a '3d modeller', meaning I prefer to construct things from reference, blueprints or schematics rather than to design stuff of my own.
SimonKTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Excellent work and welcome to the forums

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Good stuff! Always fun to see people modeling things.

It's been a long time since I put anything into the game so I'm not really sure about the stretching but can try to help. Did you detach the UV's?

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
Excellent work and welcome to the forums
Thanks, although I'm only back from a long hiatus, I've actually been on the forums since woohoo ages ago

Quote:
Did you detach the UV's?
Detach them? In what way? You mean detach the polygon groups before positioning them in the Unwrap UVW window, or was it something I overlooked?

I'm more of a '3d fabricator' than a '3d modeller', meaning I prefer to construct things from reference, blueprints or schematics rather than to design stuff of my own.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

You need to detatch use detatch to element to break up your model into elements which correspond to the way you've broken up your model to map it.

So basically, select each UV element, go into the editable poly/mesh (whichever you're using) and detatch to element.

Do this for your whole model and you should be good to go.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Scorge
Jedi Protector

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Wow I love those models, I wish someone can teach me how to make stuff like that [Modeling tuts here here in Holowan are too complicated/ ]

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Fett View Post
You need to detatch use detatch to element to break up your model into elements which correspond to the way you've broken up your model to map it.

So basically, select each UV element, go into the editable poly/mesh (whichever you're using) and detatch to element.

Do this for your whole model and you should be good to go.
Okay, I'll try that. Strange thing is, I did that when I was initially arranging the surfaces for the base UV map. Then i exported from 3ds max into the 3ds format and imported into gmax. It must've started stretching when I welded all the vertices together, since exporting to 3ds tends to separate all the surfaces one from another, causing all the surfaces to lose their smoothing.

Anyway, I've done something extra for a bit of change. A bit of skinning. Figured the Qel-Droma robes for K1 needed to look distinctive from the other Jedi robes. My only regret is that I couldn't get the big flowing hooded cape like in Shadows and Light, the way Duron was wearing them, since I used that as my reference for the robe coloring.
Show spoiler

Quote:
[Modeling tuts here here in Holowan are too complicated]
For better understanding of modelling software, it's best to buy a book that explains it. Try "3ds Max 4 Bible" or for newer versions of Max. If you know how to use Max 4, gmax is a cakewalk, since it's based on Max 4.

Last edited by SimonKTemplar; 10-18-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorge View Post
Wow I love those models, I wish someone can teach me how to make stuff like that [Modeling tuts here here in Holowan are too complicated/ ]
You'd actually be amazed at what you can pick up just playing around in Max and experimenting with different things.

I'm by no means a fantastic modeler, but I am far better than I used to be, purely because I put in some effort and experimented with the software.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

An update to the lightsaber textures... I figured it out. The trick was not to weld together the vertices after importing the 3ds file into gmax. This eventually does result in the hilt appearing a bit faceted in game, but it's no big deal with the CM_Baremetal shader on; you'll barely notice. Thanks for the additional advice, though. I'm working on Bastila's lightsaber hilt now.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
Good to see you, Simon! I remember gawking at all your glorious hilts back in my JK3 days... Keep up the sexy work!

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaboka View Post
Good to see you, Simon! I remember gawking at all your glorious hilts back in my JK3 days... Keep up the sexy work!
Haha, I like my work being attributed as 'sexy'. Kinda appropreate.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Hey, I actually just remembered that I had found a workaround for detaching UV's for game imports so that the step could be entirely skipped

So normally, with me at least, if I UVMapped the weapon and didn't detach before I resetxform, the UV's would get stretched and messed up. After messing around with it I remember finding a solution that at worked for me: after you map your model but before you resetxform, save your UV set to a file somewhere. IIRC there is an option for that on your right hand toolbar in the UV tools thing. So now hit resetxform and your UV's will probably get all stretched, but that's ok. Just hit "Load UV Set" or something similar and load up the file you just exported. Your UV's should be just as they were before and you should be ok to export.

I don't think I ever mentioned this, so I think it's at least worth a try because if it works for you it saves you lots of work in the future! Hope it works and helps!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
GeorgNihilus
Forumite

Current Game: Skyrim
Red face Looking good!

I'm particularly interested in replacing default Bendak's Blaster and the Standard Heavy Blaster models ... those do s#!@*ck IMHO ...

TSL Mods
Nar Shaddaa hidden complex http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef..._Complex;91257
Mandalorian camo Armors in-game http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=204159
Telos polar plateau sidequest 1.2 http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=202436

KotOR Mods
A lost sith in a nameless world http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...ss_World;96040
GeorgNihilus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKTemplar View Post
Anyway, I've done something extra for a bit of change. A bit of skinning. Figured the Qel-Droma robes for K1 needed to look distinctive from the other Jedi robes. My only regret is that I couldn't get the big flowing hooded cape like in Shadows and Light, the way Duron was wearing them, since I used that as my reference for the robe coloring.
Show spoiler
Ah! That robe looks amazing, great work! Can't wait to see more, good job so far!

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Exclamation updates!

A quick update on Bendak's Blaster/Mandalorian Blaster; I've added a scope mount and a small sniping scope, and I've optimized the topology a bit. Just over 1000 tris now; will do a bit more enhancing. As I've mentioned before though, the scopeless version of this will be used as the model for the Mandalorian Blaster, and the textures will differ (the standard one will be gray and more stock/military issue, while Bendak's upgraded pistol will have a black finish with a customized wooden or bone grip; I'll see which suits me more)
Show spoiler

I've also taken the liberty of remaking my original Bastila's hilt, now both the shape, size and texture are more accurate, and they look great ingame. Strangely enough, it looks as though it'll only fit Bastila's hands appropriately, and in male characters' hands it seems to look kinda flimsy. I've no problem with that
Show spoiler

Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Looking good - keep up the great work.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Scorge
Jedi Protector

I absolutely love that Mandalorian Assault Rifle, every time I come to this thread, I look at the MAR model :P. Keep up the good work.

Formally MrObiWan

Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #18
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

More new models, and this time I've decided to work on sith weaponry. For starters, I did the Sith Assault Gun, which would be the ancient equivalent of the stormtrooper E-11 rifle.
Show spoiler

And, after a good 5 hours work, I give you the most advanced blaster rifle intended in the game, the Sith Sniper Rifle. It might look a little ahead of its time (might look good in SW Battlefront lol), but I think that since the Sith had the advantages of the Star Forge, they would also have some of the most advanced weapons in the galaxy at the time.
Show spoiler

Feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

EDIT: I just finished my Sith Assassin Pistol model this morning.
Show spoiler

Last edited by SimonKTemplar; 10-20-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: New Content
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Scorge
Jedi Protector

I love looking at your models

Formally MrObiWan

Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Carth's Blaster

Update: I did some topology fixing on Carth's blaster and I modded out the details. Now it's finished with just under 1000 polygons to the whole model. I just wish i could do the textures as fast as I could do the models (trust me, I'm not good at painting firearm textures)
Show spoiler

Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
xX JonthE Xx
Rookie

You use Wings 3D don't you?
xX JonthE Xx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #22
GeorgNihilus
Forumite

Red face Nice additions

I already have PLENTY of Sniper rifles added but that Sith assassin pistol model ... looks like another MUST-HAVE for my Override ...

TSL Mods
Nar Shaddaa hidden complex http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef..._Complex;91257
Telos polar plateau sidequest 1.2 http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=202436

KotOR Mods
A lost sith in a nameless world http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...ss_World;96040
Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #23
battle111
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR and LOTRO
Wow cool models keep up the good work SimonKTemplar !!!!!!
battle111 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #24
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX JonthE Xx View Post
You use Wings 3D don't you?
Nope, I use 3ds max 9. Don't ask me how I obtained a copy though

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle111 View Post
Wow cool models keep up the good work SimonKTemplar !!!!!!
The rest of the models are coming along quite nicely... I only have a few more ranged weapons to complete, after which I'll move on to melee weapons, and then after those I'll move on to texturing. I might do the melee weapons' textures first because I'm much better at making symmetrical, less-detailed textures than what guns require me to do.

In the meantime, I've made two new additions to my works, the first being a reskin of PMBI02, the Dark Jedi robe, since I thought the original looked like a mashed up mess of greenish-brownish-patinated pieces of cloth.
Show spoiler

My second addition for today is the Mandalorian Heavy Blaster, which I completed last night. Try to picture these in the hands of Calo Nord or some Mandalorian commando. I always figured those blasters looked way too identical to the standard heavy blasters in vanilla Kotor.
Show spoiler

Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Brief announcement: I will be unavailable for the next few days, the reason being my new hardware and operating system being installed, followed by a few outside events I wouldn't skip (it's sorta like a holiday to me). I will resume my work, however, as soon as I have everything reconfigured.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Exclamation i'm back, with an update:

I've got all my systems up and running again, thankfully, and there was no loss of data from the system purge. (And sorry for the double post, I'd hate to make this look like a bump thread, but there were no replies). I'm continuing my works as planned, and here is one of the most recent WIPs. I've looked across the internet for a canonical Darth Bandon hilt, and I found an item in TOR that corresponds to what I'm looking for, however it uses a generic hilt. In an effort to make it more unique, I did some modifications that would make the hilt look like it's behind the TOR timeline, like covering up the exposed crystal in the middle (i found radical design gimmicks like this to be way ahead of Kotor in terms of modernity), and removing the unnecessary spokes surrounding the hilt. The only thing I'm not sure about (and I'll need help from you TOR players who may have encountered the hilt) is the angle of the spiky crossguard things against the main hilt. I've made them angle the middle of the hilt by 90 degrees, but it could be at a different angle in TOR. Please provide assistance if possible.
Show spoiler

Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
battle111
Forumite

Wink AWSOME!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I've got all my systems up and running again, thankfully, and there was no loss of data from the system purge. (And sorry for the double post, I'd hate to make this look like a bump thread, but there were no replies). I'm continuing my works as planned, and here is one of the most recent WIPs. I've looked across the internet for a canonical Darth Bandon hilt, and I found an item in TOR that corresponds to what I'm looking for, however it uses a generic hilt. In an effort to make it more unique, I did some modifications that would make the hilt look like it's behind the TOR timeline, like covering up the exposed crystal in the middle (i found radical design gimmicks like this to be way ahead of Kotor in terms of modernity), and removing the unnecessary spokes surrounding the hilt. The only thing I'm not sure about (and I'll need help from you TOR players who may have encountered the hilt) is the angle of the spiky crossguard things against the main hilt. I've made them angle the middle of the hilt by 90 degrees, but it could be at a different angle in TOR. Please provide assistance if possible.
Show spoiler
Awsome job hey u l notised that you are using very great tools ???
Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Show spoiler
Personally, I think this hilt is really ugly and would rather see you come up with something from your imagination. Not my mod though

Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Drexl View Post
Personally, I think this hilt is really ugly and would rather see you come up with something from your imagination. Not my mod though
Believe me, I've not been having much success doing a different texture for this, and I'm considering swapping this out for something else. We'll see how it turns out in the end. I'm a poor texture painter when it's compared with my modeling and reskinning skills. Painting a texture like this takes talent, and skill.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #30
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Believe me, I've not been having much success doing a different texture for this, and I'm considering swapping this out for something else. We'll see how it turns out in the end. I'm a poor texture painter when it's compared with my modeling and reskinning skills. Painting a texture like this takes talent, and skill.
Talent and skill?

They're really upping the qualifications these days

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
My advice? Good UV's make all the difference with texture mapping. For reals though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
Talent and skill?

They're really upping the qualifications these days

Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #32
GeorgNihilus
Forumite

Red face Nice one

So ... a "tweaked" Canonical Darth Bandon hilt eh?? interesting. As long as it looks different from everything (hilts) I already have, the real aspect doesn't matter too much for me. And that spoiler screenie looks pretty different and unique from what I've seen/installed ...

850 polycount? u kidding me?? I'm still struggling with a rusty Nvidia GForce 7600 GT 256 Mb card!!! heh heh... fortunately another rig's on its way, yup, soon

keep up the good work

TSL Mods

KotOR Mods

Last edited by GeorgNihilus; 10-26-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #33
Qui-Don Jorn

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! 
Quote:
850 polycount? u kidding me?? I'm still struggling with a rusty Nvidia GForce 7600 GT 256 Mb card!!!
Oh, well then you must hate my 2500-4000 polycount models.
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #34
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

I've decided that it's perhaps best I stopped working on that hilt for now... there is a good point about it not being distinctly Bandon's hilt... I'll leave that for some other time. What I'm looking to work on now are the rest of the Dark Jedi Robe variants (I did 2 out of 3), as well as the ranged weapon variants for the 3 most common categories: standard (4 of 11 weapons), sith (3 of 3 weapons) and mandalorian (3 of 5 weapons). After I've finished those 3 categories, I'll look over the less common ranged weapons afterwords, and then move on to texturing them all.
Currently, the model work-in-progress is the Standard Blaster Carbine. I'll upload some renders shortly.

UPDATE: And here's the finished carbine model. I wanted it to be more streamlined and actually shorter than my standard-length rifle.
Show spoiler

Edit: I forgot to add a screenshot of the third Dark Jedi robe variant. Now there are 3 variations for both Light (Brown, Blue, Orange) and Dark Side users (PMBI02, PMBI06, PMBI07). This is PMBI07, the texture used for the Dark Jedi Master Robe.
Show spoiler

Last edited by SimonKTemplar; 10-26-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Content Update
Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #35
kyrie
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
I've decided that it's perhaps best I stopped working on that hilt for now... there is a good point about it not being distinctly Bandon's hilt... I'll leave that for some other time. What I'm looking to work on now are the rest of the Dark Jedi Robe variants (I did 2 out of 3), as well as the ranged weapon variants for the 3 most common categories: standard (4 of 11 weapons), sith (3 of 3 weapons) and mandalorian (3 of 5 weapons). After I've finished those 3 categories, I'll look over the less common ranged weapons afterwords, and then move on to texturing them all.
Currently, the model work-in-progress is the Standard Blaster Carbine. I'll upload some renders shortly.

UPDATE: And here's the finished carbine model. I wanted it to be more streamlined and actually shorter than my standard-length rifle.
Show spoiler

Edit: I forgot to add a screenshot of the third Dark Jedi robe variant. Now there are 3 variations for both Light (Brown, Blue, Orange) and Dark Side users (PMBI02, PMBI06, PMBI07). This is PMBI07, the texture used for the Dark Jedi Master Robe.
Show spoiler
Very nice work I like the robes
kyrie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #36
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

more new stuff

I finished another model, this time it's a Mandalorian Ripper pistol. One of my favorites, actually. I believe the disruptor weapons in the game, especially the pistols, never got any good models from bioware. It's about to change.
Show spoiler

Old 10-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #37
battle111
Forumite

wou good work
Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #38
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
Excellent robes! The guns I can tell are excellent, but I won't be able to feel it (down in mahh pluuuums...) until they're textured.

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #39
GeorgNihilus
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuai-Donn Jorn View Post
Oh, well then you must hate my 2500-4000 polycount models.
what?? haha ha ... what is it, a weapon, or a space ship??

TSL Mods

KotOR Mods
Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #40
SimonKTemplar
Rookie

I finished another model last night that I thought you may like, it's the standard Disruptor pistol... took me a while to figure out the design I wanted for this, and generally I decided I want to stick to the basic shape that was featured with vanilla models, but much more sensible in the proportions, a lot more details, as well as an inclination to a modular design in categories of weapons.
Show spoiler

More meshes to come, I'm working on a few more, now that I have new design ideas.

EDIT: Update. Here's an example of the modular weapon design: a Light Repeating Blaster with the receiver of a Standard Blaster Rifle; the barrel and stock were exchanged to expand the firing capacity of the weapon, as well as easier control over rapid-fire.
Show spoiler

Last edited by SimonKTemplar; 10-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > SimonK's WIPs